[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I draw anime characters like pic related is this bad ?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 1494380496990.jpg (895KB, 883x1120px) Image search: [Google]
1494380496990.jpg
895KB, 883x1120px
I draw anime characters like pic related is this bad ?
>>
Yea, drawing facial features first is usually a bad idea.
>>
>>3067746
I draw hair first, if I try to draw other features first they become dis-proportioned but I hear it doesn't matter.
>>
I find it FAR harder to draw a head around facial features than place features within a head.
>>
>>3067746
As long as it looks good it doesn't matter. A lot of artists that can just doodle characters without guidelines do it often.

This is always my favorite one to watch:
https://youtu.be/EfidZenomQ4
>>
Depending on the body part focused in the image I start from there.
>>
>>3067791
Key words: Comfort zone
>>
>>3067746
Depends. Can you draw the face from a variety of angles with your method? Can you do it with a design that is new and unfamiliar to you? Can you draw your character to proper scale in a complex composition with multiple characters and elements?

If the answer to all of those is yes, keep doing what you're doing.
>>
>>3067746
It really depends on how good you are. Construction is there to help you. If you've bewn drawing for years and have no problem drawing faces at any angle, you dont need to draw rhe guidelines, because you've already internalized them. If using the guidelines help you draw better, then use it Construction is there to help you, if ypu don't need to draw everything out then don't use it. All in all, whatever gets you to the desired end product is what works best for you.
>>
How do I get to step 2 without reference?
>>
>>3067746
sachikong is not cute
>>
>>3068055
You imagine where the nose and mouth is.
>>
>>3067746
Stuff like this and asian artists, even the white guys who did DC/Marvel, make me wonder why fuckin bother with loomis. You ask for a drawing of harley quinn and he fuckin starts with the shoulder or some shit and after 30 seconds he's done. Yeah he's been doing it for a long, long time so a simple drawing like that is just muscle memory, but I sincerely doubt he did loomis for 12 years and one day said "You know what, fuck it. I'm just gonna start every drawing at the final line art stage, despite me having deeply ingrained loomis into my method so much that it's a crutch"
>>
>>3069566
I messaged someone on insta about learning and she just told me to copy photographs and then after a while do it from imagination. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of professional artists who did it their own way and didn't study books for years or months first
>>
>>3069566
>>3069634
People are finally realizing construction is a meme.
>>
>>3067841
I think thats just because they used guidelines enough to not need them anymore, like training wheels that get taken off after a while
>>
>>3070020
You realize this hypothesis is unfalsifiable right
>>
>All this probably better artist goofing beginners into not using construction
I tought you was better, /ic/
>>
>>3070056

>better artist

Just shit artist.
>>
>>3067746
>is this bad

It's not good but it may be good enough for you.
>>
File: its time to stop.jpg (95KB, 744x933px) Image search: [Google]
its time to stop.jpg
95KB, 744x933px
>>3067746
Depends of you dude, the board tries to autistically tell people how they should draw but some people are more intuitive than others

My friend reached a good level after 3-5 years fucking around, doing anime pics from his fav animes, he never understood the concept of doing the ''skeleton'' and shit

I'm the opposite, I feel like learning how to do the construction helped me out and still helps me to this day when drawing
>>
>>3067746
no i do that too, it's fine, and in fact lots of artists do that even for fancy stuff.

it's just like 'best practice' to work from the biggest bits to the smallest bits. so it's a good habit to form, but you don't need to do it that way, especially for anime type stuff which is so formulaic, obviously if you want to get into animation or other types of things where you need to be aggressively on model then you might be more inclined to break the eyes-first habit early
>>
>>3070056
It's not better artists, it's the worst of the worst who do that. They tried to learn but still can't draw for shit, so now they convinced themselves that a technique meant to make things easier for them is at fault here. Now they chicken scratch their way to stiff as fuck first grader doodles without any construction, volume or perspective, thinking if they do this long enough they'll magically draw like KJG one day.
>>
Why is it such a big deal for some people to draw a circle and a center line? Even if you can do it without, you're still human and thus likely to make mistakes, so it's literally a matter of 20 seconds just to be on the safe side and make sure your characters won't end up looking like they have fetal alcohol syndrome.
>>
>>3070496
Because you can just erase it.
>>
>>3070020
You realise many artists have never used guidelines, they learned intuitively through observation.

I understand the merits of learning through construction drawing and guidelines but many people on here seem to act like it's the be-all and end-all, the only way to learn to draw.
>>
>>3071961
Guidelines ARE how you draw intuitively. You want to draw 2 parallel objects at the same height, you draw a center line connecting them. It's literally the first, most intuitive and logical thing any child would think of.

I mean, how else do you even draw "intuitively" when having to deal with perspective? Say you want to draw a simple figure at some angle receeding in perspective. You need to be aware of the horizon line and you need to be aware of the vanishing points the shoulders, hips and feet create if you want the figure to have any sort of depth. If you aren't drawing any guidlines, you're just going to ghost those vanishing points towards an invisible horizonline in your head, so you are doing literally the exact same thing as someone who would use guidelines, just not on the paper.
>>
File: 1475187349033.gif (1MB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
1475187349033.gif
1MB, 400x275px
>>3070020
>>3070049

>Met illustrator that draws at Marvel Zimbabwe
>Perfect Spiderman with a fucking pocket brush.
>No perspective lines and no fucking guidelines.
>tfw
>>
>>3069566
No, they did loomis for 2-3 years while studying everything else and slowly pushing beyond it. The method you propose is the dumbest most inefficient way to learn, you literally have to draw your ass off for years and years, copying poses at every single angle till its ingrained in your brain and even then you will be less flexible than someone who began with construction.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.