[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exspressions- How to create them?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 12

File: tumblr_mjxw9xelXI1r0n08ho2_1280.jpg (217KB, 1024x662px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjxw9xelXI1r0n08ho2_1280.jpg
217KB, 1024x662px
I really like the appeal of the 'tumblr style' of expressions.

I personally have trouble making expressions and I guess I have a strange fear of deforming the face form the basic 'dead look' of proportions laid out across teh face.

How do you guys just throw caution in the wind and crank out 'good expressions?'

What /makes/ a 'good expression' ?

When working on faces should Posture and body language come first or second to the facial expressiveness?

Discuss
>>
File: Old Expression studies - Copy.jpg (556KB, 1000x660px) Image search: [Google]
Old Expression studies - Copy.jpg
556KB, 1000x660px
>>3067668
My opinions.
Your example is a pretty Disney-lookin' example to me. I dunno about Tumblr because I don't into blogs.
You're on the right track - The image you posted is a good example of expression practice.
The face is redrawn each time. Don't do the meme thing where you copy and paste the same "head" onto a page and draw different eyes/nose/mouth on it to get expressions. That's not only lazy, you don't learn shit.
>How do you guys just throw caution in the wind and crank out 'good expressions?'
You don't throw caution to the wind. Especially early on, each "good" drawing will be careful, deliberate, and time consuming. Early on, you don't "crank them out"
Many people fall into the bullshit meme of "loosening up" and casually flicking lines onto page after page and when the sketchbook is full they wonder why they're not any better than when they started. Precision is imperative. And difficult.
>What /makes/ a 'good expression' ?
I dunno, there's lots of things that go into it. If the output is recognizable and relatable, it's good.
>When working on faces should Posture and body language come first or second to the facial expressiveness?
They support each other. That's why it's important to redraw the face for each practice expression.
1. Watch for expressions you like, (Life, movies, animation, TV) remember them, draw them accurately. You will learn what facial features go where for what, and how to move them without ruining your consistency or proportions.
2. Take your practice expressions and translate them onto your original characters. When you can do this and maintain consistency and accuracy in your own characters, you win.
...I'm cheating because I have a photographic memory, but it's just as much a handicap when I'm trying to do something original. All the images in my head get in the way of the nascent imagined ones.
Pic related is some expression practice from the sketchbook a while ago.
>>
File: [loads shotgun].jpg (23KB, 480x285px) Image search: [Google]
[loads shotgun].jpg
23KB, 480x285px
>>3067668
>Glen Keane
>Tumblr style
you can't be serious
>>
File: trix express2.png (879KB, 2177x2417px) Image search: [Google]
trix express2.png
879KB, 2177x2417px
OP here, I started this small chart playing with the idea of expressions some of them I don't like others are 'okay' they are markedly better than what I usually draw but not by the standard I'm seeking. I think one of the best places to start is eye shape. How does one construct an eye in that cartoon 'Disney / tumblr Style' style?

I've been studying an animation and will be updating with my attempts to emulate what I see.

>>3067687
Thanks for the advice I'm going to try and put this in to practice.
>>
>>3067914
You got the blank template for that chart anon?
>>
File: blank chart.png (519KB, 2364x3428px) Image search: [Google]
blank chart.png
519KB, 2364x3428px
>>3067926
Right here: Can we get some expression charts going in this thread for refs examples and practice /IC? let's see your style/
>>
>>
>>3067668
Don't do that expression sheet bullshit. All emotions need a certain context (something the character is reacting to) otherwise you get vapid stock expressions.

Every single part of the face and body should have a reaction too, it's not just a fucking facial expression you should do.
>>
>>3067801
>Glen Keane
If you don't know what you're talking about, just keep your mouth shut
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 450x550px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 450x550px
>>3068760
Yeah I don't think Jin Kim originated this style anon. It looks more like Keane looked back to early Disney films and tried to marry it with Walt Kelly.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 527x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 527x650px
A good expression should be able to carry the scene from sarcasm to honesty... you have to depict that changeover in terms of 'story values'. It's an ironic blend, think of how different the dwarves were from Snow White and Prince Charming -- Disney has finally figured out how to merge those two worlds and its bankable.
>>
>>3068780
Jin Kim's artwork looks exactly like Glen's
>>
>>3068805
No, it's better and more refined
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 500x374px
>>3068805
Kim is the more fluid animator, and a better source to study, but it looks like Keane has more gestural chemistry going on.
>>
File: image.jpg (247KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247KB, 1024x768px
What's different?
>>
>>3067914
Put your expressions up against expressions like the one in the OP and try to see what's different. For example, right at first glance one thing that I can see is that your character's faces don't have any major variance of head shape, compared to the Disney chad. The mouth, jaw, eyebrows and brow are all big parts of how humans emote, but since your heads don't really incorporate those different parts in notably different ways, it makes the faces look samey.
>>
File: 2hdbp04.jpg (17KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
2hdbp04.jpg
17KB, 400x200px
Never had a hard time with them because my style have a little bit of John K in them. His are the best mainly because how he force himself to never draw the same face twice.
>>
Make the expression yourself. If you can't sense the muscles being used and draw based on that, use a mirror.

Gesture always comes first. If you can't get some idea of what emotion they're conveying just through gesture, you're doing it wrong.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.