[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/beg/ - THE BEGINNER THREAD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 113

File: op.png (2MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
2MB, 1440x1440px
IF YOU ARE A /BEG/INNER IN ART, please use this thread to post pieces for critique or ask for advice. We should not have to make new threads or post in the Drawthread with our fundamental exercises.

Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make someone proud.

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO ~1000 PIXELS:

#1)
>screenshot the image and post that instead

#2)
>change camera capture settings to something smaller

#3)
>send to computer and resize in MSPaint

→ →
There's a new (and cleaner) sticky in town! You can see it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

OLD THREAD: >>3063060
>>
>>
>>
File: 8298b6d949ff3b8fe578ba7c8ab813cf.jpg (215KB, 825x1200px) Image search: [Google]
8298b6d949ff3b8fe578ba7c8ab813cf.jpg
215KB, 825x1200px
>>
>>
>>
File: 443251f3ae74964511a6f404c5204c2b.jpg (173KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
443251f3ae74964511a6f404c5204c2b.jpg
173KB, 960x1440px
>>
Do I really need to sharpen my pencil with a razor and sandpaper?

like in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_W9sZ8S7RM
>>
>>3065892
of course not
>>
>>3065892
just use a leadholder like a normal human being
>>
File: r8orh8.png (50KB, 288x493px) Image search: [Google]
r8orh8.png
50KB, 288x493px
r8 or h8
>>
>>3065923
I first thought it was supposed to be a spoon then I thought it's a glass and now I see a fork holding something round like a crystal or something..
>>
How do I practice perspective? Do I just draw shitty boxes for a 1000 hours?
>>
>>3065939
No, you read Perspective Made Easy by Ernest R. Norling, or How to Draw by Scott Robertson, and learn about how vanishing points affect the way you see boxes. When you can draw a box at every angle without much effort, you know enough perspective to draw whatever you want(assuming you don't want to draw cars and the like).
>>
>>3065939
some variety is fine but yeah do certain things over and over until you're good
>>
>>3065939

Don't just draw boxes, draw tables, couches, anything you can find.
>>
File: Capture.png (107KB, 473x589px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
107KB, 473x589px
>>3065923
its not exact due to mouse but you should see it if you flip
>>
File: Fender_Rose.png (403KB, 894x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Fender_Rose.png
403KB, 894x1300px
I'll post this here as well, any tips for an amateur?
>>
>>3065939
draw still life object and pretend they are boxes
>>
File: 1494002191460.png (172KB, 304x369px) Image search: [Google]
1494002191460.png
172KB, 304x369px
Hey, any beginners want to create a discord for us to post exercises and shit and motivate us to keep drawing every day?

I'm mostly interested in anime/manga, but also not stylized art. Am currently learning anatomy, starting on color and some perspective.

If anyone identifies with this, please reply to this post and I'll create a discord channel for us.
>>
Fresh beginner, a few dumb questions:
1. How am I supposed to hold the stylus? Right now I'm apparently using 4 finger / quadropod grip with the stylus resting on ring finger, should I try to change that or anything goes for the grip as long as it's comfy?

2. Is drawing/practicing traditionally necessary? I really don't feel like buying paper, pens, etc.

3. I should keep following the guide/sticky and keep practicing/improving my line quality/consistency and make something like "being able to draw a cat/dog/human in any pose with correct proportions, anatomy, perspective, etc." my first goal and worry about the secondary and tertiary fundamentals, like coloring or composition, etc. after that?

Drawing sure has a shit ton of things to learn and remember huh. At least it's all pretty logical and making sense so far. Otherwise drawing has been pretty fun.
>>
>>3065957
Use the /ic/ discord. Making one specifically for beginners is a mistake. Why would you specifically surround yourself with people of your own skill level?

>>3065958
>I don't feel like buying a pack of pencils for $2 and a $5 sketchbook

By the way, digital art won't make you improve faster. In most cases, it does the opposite.
>>
>>3065957
There is a /ic/ discord somewhere. Don't have the link atm.

>>3065958
> or anything goes for the grip as long as it's comfy
If your tablet does not react to the tilt of the stylus, than yes.

> Is drawing/practicing traditionally necessary? I really don't feel like buying paper, pens, etc.
It definitely help to learn how to draw good on the earliest attempt. You do not have the undo button, layers etc on the paper. Therefore, you learn to draw without being messy.

> 3
Yup. But do not forget to draw anything you like every now and then. This way you won't get tired of grinding and will have something to track your progress.
>>
>>3065962
you sound like you might have an answer, I drew with a tablet for plenty of hours but as soon as I drew something on paper I noticed I'm better at that, but I didn't practice that at all and didn't do that for a super long time before I drew digitally. will I improve digitally one day? and is this normal?
>>
>>3065963
the discord should really be in the sticky
>>
File: JPEG_20170719_143740~2.jpg (52KB, 580x665px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170719_143740~2.jpg
52KB, 580x665px
This looks like shit. Is there any point in trying to draw the other shapes or other value studies? I'm getting really frustrated that I'm failing basic fundamental shit.
>>
>>3065971
>>
>>3065958
1. There's no real right or wrong way to hold a pen, whatever's comfy is good. It's important to draw without moving your wrist, though.

2. "No rules, just tools". That said, learning using digital art can build far more bad habits than learning with pen and paper. The only way to avoid building bad habits is to try using undo as little as possible, and to work only in one layer while starting out. For beginners, it's good to unbind undo altogether.

The issue is that digital art is all about speed and shortcuts, while traditional art is all about taking your time and planning your strokes. Working on one layer and actually erasing your mistakes will force you to take time as if you would on traditional. Also a pack of printer paper and a big pack of pens can't be more than 10 bucks.

3. Have your goals in mind, and build around them. Perspective and form/construction is useful in almost everything, so it's the foundation most artists build on. Read up on perspective and construction, practice it, and most importantly try to *apply it* to drawing what you want. You learn by failing, not by eternal practice.

Also learn to separate drawing for fun and drawing for practice, it'll save you a lot of frustration in the future. Also warm-ups are important; your first drawing of the day will usually be bad, get it out of the way and don't let it ruin your mood.
>>
>>3065974
without moving your wrist? that seems really retarded
>>
>>3065974
> It's important to draw without moving your wrist, though.
Oh, also forgot about that. Drawing from wrist is bad, m'kay? It significantly limits your movement freedom and is unhealthy, as I recall.

> your first drawing of the day will usually be bad, get it out of the way and don't let it ruin your mood.
I'd recommend not drawing anything in particular, but doing some exercises for, say, first 30 minutes. Lines, simple shapes like cubes and cones, other such stuff.
>>
>>3065971
You need to work on your self esteem before you try to work on a craft. I'm seriously tired of all your excuses. Also your supposed to draw from life, not a photo and definitely not a photo of someone elses value study.
>>
>>3065980
Watch this video (other videos by Proko are also worth considering), it explains the concept in details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84
>>
>>3065971
Don't get frustrated, studies are about learning, not about creating attractive pictures. What'd you learn? What did you fail at, what can you try to do to fix it next time?

I think you did alright, you captured how shadows become less sharp the farther they extend, and how the shadow was sharper at the tip than around the base. You also included the occlusion shadow at the point of contact between the cone and the table. You could improve by practicing a more gradual shading.

The other forms teach different things, so they'd be good to practice. Try to pay attention to where the light source is coming from and how it relates to the object. The sphere has a shinier surface than the cone, so it has a highlight. The planes of the cube reveal where the light source is coming from.

Make sure you set out to learn something, that may be why you're frustrated.
>>
>>3065969
it was until they appointed a mod who ban't people for fun.
>>
>>3065983
I'm seriously tired of failing at this shit. Sorry for bothering you.
>>
>>3065988
Thats what I'm saying, fix the problems with yourself before you try to fix your art.
>>
File: practice 1 7 19 17.png (440KB, 461x606px) Image search: [Google]
practice 1 7 19 17.png
440KB, 461x606px
What's the worst thing about this picture?
>>
>>3065971
The biggest issue is you need to go back to line studies before you even start with values. The bottom of your cone should be an ellipse, and the entire thing composed of ellipses.

You need to go back to lines before you start drawing shapes. It is the most frustratingly grindy step but will make your future endevours much easier.

Lines first. Elbows and shoulder, no wrist. Practice ellipses again and again and again until you can draw nice curves in a single sweep.

http://drawabox.com/lesson/1

And, as the other anon said, if you continue to bitch and moan and say you'll never get better, then you are only fueling the drive to fail.

The irony of being an artist is you will never reach perfection, so don't even try. There is always something to improve on. Reflect on the mistakes, then improve and move on.
>>
>>3065994
The nose immediately stood out to me as unfitting. I think it's because the nostrils are off, and because the straight lines on the side we see don't fit the wavy ones throughout the rest of the picture.
>>
>>3065994
He has werewolf syndrome? With all that hair on his face?
>>
File: 9-step-value-scale.png (1KB, 720x200px) Image search: [Google]
9-step-value-scale.png
1KB, 720x200px
>>3065971
Also start out by making a value scale like this. Should be the first thing you do, your drawing only has 3 values
>>
>>3065876
I'm currently stuck on Chapter 2 in Keys to Drawing, should I really stick with all this "artist's handwriting" crap or am I better off skipping that? I keep starting those exercises but just get bogged down in then fuck off back to Draw a Box exercises. I'm only reading it to study angle and proportion to git gud at studies but I'm worried I'm wasting my time.
On a related note I can't reconcile Keys to Drawing with Draw a Box. K2D focuses on using quick rough lines to capture forn while DaB wants impossibly accurate, impecably planned lines to perfect construction. I need both but can't seem to nail either. Should I drop one to focus harder on the other?
If it soundd like I'm venting, I am. It's just exhausting to plug in 2-3 hours a day failing at an activity without a clear cur destination and """progress""" that is hazy at best.
>>
>>3065994
poor draftsmanship
>>
If anyone's read and used How To Draw by Scott Robertson, I ha e a question. In the chapter about perspective exercises, am I supposed to largely skip those until I learn how to make grids?
>>
>>3066039
You're suppposed to do everything, it has chapters for a reason

Where the fuck are you retards coming from
>>
>>3065964
Not the same anon but all my art teachers, even the ones that taught digital courses insisted that people learn the ropes on paper. It's far less expensive and generally a better practicing tool.
>>
File: Something.jpg (38KB, 877x620px) Image search: [Google]
Something.jpg
38KB, 877x620px
Crits please, also, how do I improve on values and make them look more realistic? What are some good books/videos/exercises for it?
>>
>>3065950
it looks overall very nice, although you shouldn't use a plain texture to draw fishnets
try actually drawing the fishnet, it's size and direction change and stretch with the leg movement and position
>>
>>3065964

You can see your hand with traditional. It's easier to control your movement. It takes time with digital. I hate drawing on a tablet. It's frustrating. It will take me years before I can freely control the lines. And using stabilizer is worst. It will just cripple me in the long run if I depend on it.

Learn to draw on paper and learn to paint digitally. I'm starting to use bigger brush and paint with shapes instead of using lines. Feels much better to me. I can draw with lines it's not impossible but it feels like someone is choking me while I'm trying to eat.

If you for some reason can't pull out pencil and paper and really have to start with digital. Then I suggest ignoring some of the tools.

Don't use undo but erase instead. This way you'll move more and get use to the eye hand coordination faster.

Don't use history, in fact just set it to the lowest amount. I set it to 10 and I don't even use it during practice.

Layers is okay to use. Think of it as digital tracing paper.
>>
File: 0719171350-1-657x474.jpg (95KB, 657x474px) Image search: [Google]
0719171350-1-657x474.jpg
95KB, 657x474px
i feel like this is going bad places. is it?
>>
>>3066106
where have u been my guy
>>
>>3065958
1. it really depends on your preference. the only rule is that you don't press your fingers against the pen or the pen against the paper - actually, minimum force should be applied to the pen.
I used to hold with the 4 fingers, but I couldn't draw soft lines without shaking the pen - using less fingers usually let you draw more lightly

2. some people will tell you "nah, do what you might", but it's not quite true.
because digital results are so much easier to achieve (you have literally all colors, textures. besides, you can change stuff's colors or apply general filters, draw the background after the objects, and such), if you start on digital, you'll get a lot of manneirisms, some "addictions", some stuff that's essencially wrong and will not let you progress as an artist

tl;dr: It's like learning how to play the guitar without studying music theory: it's ok if you just wanna fool around.

3. not exactly. the guides on the sticky are great guides, but with time you should be able to decide your own objectives. I usually do:

wanna learn how to draw something, study this thing (background, composition, whatever), it's different shapes, then I see how other artists draw that thing, then I find some reference and start sketching.
>>
>>3066107
depressed af so art feel by the wayside a bit. and ive been doing a bit of drawing but don't really post the studies
>>
File: Pyramid study.jpg (376KB, 1000x641px) Image search: [Google]
Pyramid study.jpg
376KB, 1000x641px
>>3065973

Had a try - bonus medicinal leaves. Realised it's not tall enough and I fucked up the angle of the shadow on the pyramid halfway through, but I tried to adjust the shadow it's casting accordingly.

Any tips lads??
>>
File: Kuh Night.jpg (616KB, 669x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Kuh Night.jpg
616KB, 669x1000px
>>3066121

Was almost too embarrassed to post this but fuck it, it's /beg/. Right leg is totally fucked, that came from bad construction. Going through Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain and this was one of the things given to practice drawing upside down.
>>
File: redodino.jpg (337KB, 1000x426px) Image search: [Google]
redodino.jpg
337KB, 1000x426px
Had an older drawing get damaged so I'm trying to redo it (better). Initial sketch + current progress
>>
File: wtfiswrongwithme.png (307KB, 696x612px) Image search: [Google]
wtfiswrongwithme.png
307KB, 696x612px
I'm all over the place when it comes to trying to practice. I know the sources people say I should do, but I feel like drawing or painting should be something fun and that you enjoy doing.

Forcing myself to try and learn something a certain way takes all the fun out, and just makes me hate it.

Anyway, I made this, not sure what it is, but more than anything I was just trying to get light and shadows looking correct.
>>
>>3066147

It's fun when you have the fundamentals down and are able to control the creating process instead of relying on guessing and happy accidents.
>>
>>3066147
Reminds me of Dave Mckean, I like it
>>
>>3066105
The thing is that I have a tablet with a monitor so it's just like drawing on paper except for whatever angle I put it in, somehow it just doesn't to go as well. And I like getting smooth lines from using stabilizer...
>>
>>3065974
I looked into this but drawing with your wrist seems the best option for smaller drawings.
>>
File: RenderAttempt.jpg (236KB, 812x1494px) Image search: [Google]
RenderAttempt.jpg
236KB, 812x1494px
I'm having a freaking hard time learning to render, so maybe someone here can help a bit.
Let's say i want to render some latex-like material
Mainly i would like to know:
1)Everything looks too muddy? I went from a hard brush to 'define' the shape, and then with a 16% hardness brush to render it. What should i have done instead?
2) Could it be that there is too much contrast? maybe i shouldn't go too far between lights and shadows?
3) Do you think i should try painting with fewer strokes? i've heard about this before, i have no doubt i'm using too many, but i wonder what difference it'll make.
4) Should i keep things simpler? Would it look better if it didn't have so many shapes?
Anyways, anything about the draw itself is appreciated, but it's just something quick i made to see how i am on render, so please focus on the later.
thanks
>>
>>3065950
Realism > Anime

Anime is the equivalent of being a curlbro. You'll pass everyone else in the first couple months but lag behind in every other area. Then eventually you'll be surpassed in the one thing you actually were able to do. Then you'll realize you wasted your time.
>>
>>3066221
If you ever want to learn how to do a material, simply study it. Google latex suits. You should be able to do this yourself.

Also, post construction layer pls
>>
File: fat cat tats.png (317KB, 665x820px) Image search: [Google]
fat cat tats.png
317KB, 665x820px
Anyone mind giving me a hand with basic construction stuff? Some people have told me that the drawing is flat.
>>
File: RenderAttempt.jpg (194KB, 798x1471px) Image search: [Google]
RenderAttempt.jpg
194KB, 798x1471px
>>3066239
Yeah, i guess i should be more consistent on this
I sort of decided to make it latex-like mid way through, maybe i won't get too much out of it this way.
This is the closest i have to a construction layer...
>>
File: ltex.jpg (84KB, 812x1494px) Image search: [Google]
ltex.jpg
84KB, 812x1494px
>>3066253

Not good at this but here's a shitty quick paintover. Like that other anon said. Doing material study will help. Just render a sphere with ref.
>>
>>3066272
1000000x better
>>
>>3066272
yeah it looks a lot more like it, tho i wonder if it'll look better overall (not necessarily more realistic, but rather more appealing) if it was simplified.
I'll make some more experimentation, thanks
>>
File: 20170719_182514.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_182514.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Starting from drawabox lesson one. I think it was supposed to be superimposed lines. Am I doing good so far?
>>
File: 20170719_193850.jpg (139KB, 968x1296px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_193850.jpg
139KB, 968x1296px
>>3065877
>>
File: Kakugo.jpg (696KB, 786x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Kakugo.jpg
696KB, 786x1000px
I know I made him too thin - also gave up on the chest. Any cc is much appreciated.
>>
File: BeeGirl.png (783KB, 3300x5100px) Image search: [Google]
BeeGirl.png
783KB, 3300x5100px
Just finished this one up, might do a background and stuff later on.

What do you think?
>>
>>3066301
the features themselves are actually pretty good, but the proportions of everything is very jarring
>>
>>3066310
dont do this to him
>>
File: Study 7 19.png (910KB, 1339x1640px) Image search: [Google]
Study 7 19.png
910KB, 1339x1640px
>>3065877
yeet
>>
File: practice 2 7 19 17.png (449KB, 507x766px) Image search: [Google]
practice 2 7 19 17.png
449KB, 507x766px
working without a reference, any changes i should make before shading?
>>
>>3065981
>It significantly limits your movement freedom and is unhealthy, as I recall.

The point of drawing from the wrist doing accurate, deliberate strokes in a small space. If you're crosshatching a small part of a drawing, it makes no sense control-wise to draw from the elbow. Figure drawing is better done from the shoulder, when working on large pieces of paper. You can draw from the fingers, the wrist, the elbow, and the shoulder, and there are proper times and places for all of them. Generally, detail work is done from the fingers or wrist.
The unhealthy aspect is urban legend and meme by edgelords here who have taken up the "draw from the shoulder only" meme, which is an unrealistic and destructive meme for beginners. ANY repetitive movement by the wrist, over time, can cause problems - and the fools here who are trying to grind 16 hours a day are going to run into them down the road. A normal work schedule, with plenty of breaks, should be fine for most people.
>>
>>3065996
>Lines first. Elbows and shoulder, no wrist. Practice ellipses again and again and again until you can draw nice curves in a single sweep.
Bullshit meme advice for beginners that will cause more problems than solve any.
>>
>>3066301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgick0p9r8
>>
File: 20170719_00.png (81KB, 729x698px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_00.png
81KB, 729x698px
Still a long way to go on using value.

Ref :
>>3063065
>>
>>3066311
what's he doing to me
>>
>>3066353
I'm not critiquing your drawing hard enough
>>
>>3066356
critique it harder then, my dude
>>
>>3066357
It is honestly shit. The facial features are gigantic, the eyes are about 3 inches from where they should be, i have no idea whats going on with the neck the forehead wrinkles are not realistic, the ears are too low, the head is too narrow. But don't be discouraged, as I said, the details are OK. You just need to learn construction and proportion and you'll fix 90% of your problems
>>
>>3066363
alright, thanks man, much appreciated
i'll crack down on it
>>
>>3066251
pls respond
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I want critique about this drawing
>>
Someone with art knowledge get in here, we have some questions
>>
I have trouble with dynamic poses; everything I draw looks too stiff, should I just grind http://www.posemaniacs.com/randompose
>>
>>3066384
Try studying Degas stuff. He has a way of making dancers nice and floppy looking even if they're holding a rigid posture.
>>
>>3066394
Thanks for the advice, but I'm basically a complete beginner and I feel like I won't really "get" something like that, so I was hoping for something quick and dirty.
>>
>>3066315
Rethink what you want to do
>>
File: degas_2001_12_0.jpg (36KB, 550x427px) Image search: [Google]
degas_2001_12_0.jpg
36KB, 550x427px
>>3066396
Just try to draw the poses without clothes, it'll help a lot, trust me. If you want to draw the skirts, make sure you have the stuff under the skirts making sense. There aren't a lot of quick fixes in art, even if someone tells you what you're doing wrong it can take a long time to fix stuff mechanically.
>>
>>3066353
Irresponsibly trying to pass something that is clearly not ok as ok. There is literally not one thing about this that is not symbol drawn. Just read the sticky and Keys to Drawing and you'll be on your way
>>
File: headop.jpg (112KB, 1339x1640px) Image search: [Google]
headop.jpg
112KB, 1339x1640px
>>3066313

Got a real bad headache today so I'll just do a quick paintover instead of submitting a study.

Really observe the planes and value anon. Also use bigger brush and block in the value and construct the planes first. I feel like if you really take your time it will look amazing.
>>
File: 1451094147566.jpg (15KB, 192x154px) Image search: [Google]
1451094147566.jpg
15KB, 192x154px
>>3066413
Ok. Every time someone tells me to "block in the values" that is literally what i do every time i start a painting. Midtone/rough form -> shadow and light shapes. Then blend from there. I guess it still shows that I'm not doing something right since despite me doing what they say. u_u But thank you.
>>
>don't draw for months
>actually have to use sketchbook for something
>put it in front me
>then forget thing completely while I lose myself into a drawing frenzy that lasts for hours, can't even will myself to stop
>pure ecstasy, and this is saying something considering I'm chronically depressed

What the fuck is this? It's weird and concerning.
>>
Would I benefit from a life drawing class or would it just be a waste of money at my level? An art school offers drop ins but I don't want to be judged. Been drawing for about 3 weeks.
>>
File: KIMG0005.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0005.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
>>3066425
Pic of shit I drew
>>
>>3066425
Definitely do a life drawing class. Even if you're an outsider it's a good place to talk to other artists and a good experience.
>>
>>3065957
I would love to join!
>>
>>3066426
>>He thinks that's shit

I'm even worse than the tiny sketch on top of it
>>
>>3066429
Thanks! I guess I'll try it then.

>>3066436
Well at least you can (probably) orient a picture correctly on your phone. desu the tiny sketch is better than the larger drawing.
>>
File: lady.png (214KB, 590x796px) Image search: [Google]
lady.png
214KB, 590x796px
>>3065878
>>
>>3066099
Any crits?
>>
>>3066464
Study anatomy. If you want to draw monsters get super nerdy about it, even try watching medical physiology/anatomy lectures. Think about how the parts of the body should move, etc.

Your values aren't the biggest thing keeping you from being more realistic imo, it's just lack of reference and know-how.
>>
File: sheiii.png (127KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sheiii.png
127KB, 600x600px
im new, what should i work on first?
>>
File: 1500511217501.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1500511217501.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Hey, can anyone give some advice on this my drawing? (Now turned to the right side, cell phone shit that is turning the images unnecessarily)
>>
>>3066514
Stop drawing anime. Go work on basics
>>
>>3066315
total crap, go back to references
>>3066379
ironically the same pose, also crap. arms are pathetic/broken
>>
>>3066514
You're going to think that >>3066517
Is meming you but there is no real point on giving in depth critique on this. You need to study basics. You need to practice. You're symbol drawing
>>
File: JPEG_20170719_232013~2.jpg (63KB, 1253x288px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170719_232013~2.jpg
63KB, 1253x288px
>>3066009
I tried making a 9 shade tonal bar with an H pencil and 4B pencil. 7-9 seem to blend together to me, I can't seem to make any other intermediary shades. Is this normal or should I be doing better somehow?
>>
Huum, I understand, I have this one that I put a little more time on
>>
File: 2017-7-19 1trtr.png (83KB, 900x765px) Image search: [Google]
2017-7-19 1trtr.png
83KB, 900x765px
>>3065876
rip
>>
>>3066527
>>3066523
>>3066517
And this one that I tried to do a little more realistic, but I really go back to the basics, it's been a while since I got back to drawing and I'm kind of rusty
>>
File: bmn.png (718KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bmn.png
718KB, 1000x1000px
>>
File: gamzeehead.png (124KB, 918x812px) Image search: [Google]
gamzeehead.png
124KB, 918x812px
what do you guys think? i spent about 2 hours maybe a little less on this
>>
File: muscle.png (268KB, 365x629px) Image search: [Google]
muscle.png
268KB, 365x629px
what do you guys think?
how can I improve?
>>
>>3066563
Looks like some symbol drawing. Play a little looser with your lines
>>
>>3066563
your leg looks awesome. i think the hand on the left should be more compact, it looks like he should be holding something between each finger.

idk how credible of a source i am, i'm just a beginner, but those'r my thoughts
>>
File: 1498801381558.jpg (208KB, 717x993px) Image search: [Google]
1498801381558.jpg
208KB, 717x993px
When I gesture draw people, do I draw the clothes? Or the body beneath the clothes? Or both?
>>
File: Troz.png (812KB, 2500x3700px) Image search: [Google]
Troz.png
812KB, 2500x3700px
>>3066541

This one is good! The lines could be smoother and more refined and you clearly need more practice, but the feeling isn't lost on the drawing as a whole.

>>3066561

Soften your linework and blend the colors together better and I feel like it would be 100x better. The lines stand out too much and the colors seem sploched together instead of blending together.

If anyone could steer my anatomy or proportions in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. Trying to practice upper body and midriffs but I don't want to settle into any bad habits. Thank you!
>>
>>3066471
Thanks anon
>>
>>3066566
I'm not really trying to draw a man, it's just a muscle study, so I let myself draw hard lines and contours - do you think that's still bad?

>>3066567
I'll check out that hand, thanks a lot!
>>
>>3066572
I just love your shoulders, they're very organic
Also I can't help to feel that the right arm, (left on the picture) is a little too short, I don't think the elbow is placed correctly
>>
>>3066124
dude looks like a chicken and the horse has 5 legs?

anyway, it's beg, most people here suck major dick like my self, so keep practicing and posting, keep the thread and motivation alive
>>
>>3066143
I like this, I like his shiny smooth skin :)
>>
File: djdjdj.png (515KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
djdjdj.png
515KB, 1000x1333px
Me again! Moved this drawing to digital so I could do more tweaks. It's pretty messy but I wanted to get my undersketch down before I started sketching the rest of the composition cause this pose has been kicking my ass. I'm still not sold on the forshortening of Misato's thigh/leg. Help
>>
>>3066251
For this kind of style/character you seem to have it down, idk what kind of asspats you want but I'm not sure this thread is for you?
>>
Should I study perspective freehand or use rulers?
>>
>>3066622
there's no reason not to use rulers
knowing how to draw is not about drawing straight, go ahead and use it forever
>>
>>3066571
draw the feel of the pose using the shapes you see.
>>
>>3066600
basically everything (faces, length of limbs, foreshadowing) is wrong and you should attempt an easier pose until you have a better grasp on anatomy. just abandon this one and start a new drawing.
>>
File: 4yktk4xu.jpg (147KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
4yktk4xu.jpg
147KB, 1000x1333px
>>3066600
Everything below this line is extremely confusing, also am i supposed to be standing over them or at eye level? Because you definitely have a conflicting perspective problem here.

>>3066634
I dont agree that you should try something simpler, You will learn a lot here if you keep at it even though it may be beyond your ability to complete.
>>
>>3066643
if he wants to continue it he should ask some people to pose like this for him irl so he can have a better ref and hopefully see where he went wrong.
>>
>>3066622
Rulers = it's gonna look better.

Freehand = you'll do it faster and get more practice in.

I'd go for free-hand IMO, and then use rulers to finish drawings or studies, but if you're just trying to do boxes and shit to understand how perspective works, you're just gonna waste time with rulers. I know I hate rulers I'm really fucking slow with them.
>>
File: pic.png (846KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
846KB, 500x1000px
Trying to get back into drawing for the first time since high school. Be brutal.

I'm already aware of a few fuck ups now that I'm looking at it again. Hair is inked in cos I failed at shading it, the shirt design is flat and doesn't take her body into account, uneven lines, etc.

I'm happy that it looks... okay? I have a lot of learning to do
>>
>>3066660
>>
>>3066660
learn to draw hth
>>
File: 1438215088977.gif (3MB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
1438215088977.gif
3MB, 200x170px
>>3066660
>Be brutal.
RELEASE "[RESTRICTIONS] level - 1" UNLOCK

Its shit every single piece of this is fucking awful it looks like you printed off a bunch of clip apart from microsoft word stuck it together and coloured over it. "since high schoo"? Are you telling me you're over the age of 18 and this is your best work?. This looks like a picture my 4 y/o son drew for me, i didnt even put it on the fridge but rather throw it in the trash in full view of his watery eyes. "Get back into drawing"? Nigger you probably never drew a day in your fucking life, her face looks like a half eaten pine cone, i would love to get lost in her eyes so that i would never see her or you again. Daffy duck would think this looks uncanny, /i/ would laugh you out of their board, Miyazaki's not even dead yet but i bet he is rolling over in his grave. How dare you even post this, you are trash, your work is trash, get the fuck out of my sight.

Piece of shit, I want you to know i was holding back when i typed this.

But seriously though read the stick good luck man. Fucking trashcan.
>>
>>3066685
Yeah I'll read the sticky. Post made me laugh though, thanks for that.
>>
File: 1470745347881.png (170KB, 522x386px) Image search: [Google]
1470745347881.png
170KB, 522x386px
>>3066643
Just re the heads they don't look anime enough. Be very wary of using any of these models for anime heads.
>>
>>3065974
It's important to learn how to draw with your whole arm, maybe even your whole body; but that doesn't mean the wrist isn't extremely important, as it is when you need to work small. I even move my fingers for very little details.
Just exploit every part of your body you can and experiment with different grips, positions, and shit.
>>
File: ayy.png (73KB, 230x331px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
73KB, 230x331px
trashcan?
>>
File: Snapchat-1344667597.jpg (197KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1344667597.jpg
197KB, 720x1280px
Following the sticky, been drawing for a day now with about 2-3 hours of practicing each night. I drew our friend Igor, took about 3 hour. How bad did I do?
>>
>>3066425
>I don't want to be judged.

Then give up, now. The only way to learn is to be critiqued. A good teacher will do it in a way that's not offending or insulting, but if you won't even try, don't bother, and find a safe hobby that won't threaten your fee fees.
In my college courses, in the illustration major, we had to critique everything in front of the class. Our teachers told us, if you can't defend your work, why are you even bothering? Every inch of a painting should be purposeful and you should be able to defend it.
It's true. If you won't even TRY to learn to draw in a non-threatening environment, art is not for you.
Everyone who walks into a life drawing class is a beginner, at some point. You can't cheat your way past that. Get real about studying art, or find something else to do. Otherwise, you're wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>3066539
Do it about 10 more times. Then you might start getting a handle on controlling your pencil. Then do it every couple of days, for a couple of weeks. This is standard stuff for a college level drawing course. You can't master something doing it once.
Generally, you should do the same 9-shade bar with one grade of lead - do a bar for HB, then one for F, then the B's and H's. Later on is when you combine them.

Draw the blank boxes in a drawing program, fill the page for all of the weights of lead you have, and print out about 20 of them, and do the full sheet every time you sit down to draw, as a warm up.
>>
>>3066545
Interesting idea. Now draw it larger, and finish the figure, do the whole body, and put it in an environment. Also, don't ruin this with cartoon notes floating around, you don't need it, it's cliched and not needed.
Also, one plays a stringed instrument like that with the fingertips, or nails. Go look at videos and pictures of harp players. Gripping the strings like that wouldn't produce any sound.
>>
>>3066548
Draw bigger, and don't flood the page like that, it's difficult to make any sense of any of it. You're working digitally, you have no reasons to crush everything into a small space like that. Have some confidence to make a single image for each attempt.
>>
>>3066563
Learn anatomy
Learn to render
Draw the entire figure.

You're just making up muscle masses and putting lines in at random. Stop that.
>>
>>3066622
Use rulers, for fuck's sake. It's not cheating. It's what they're for. If anyone here tells you otherwise, they're talking straight out of their ass.
>>
>>3066717
My first attempt was far far worse. Though I spent nowhere near 3 hours on it. Why did it take you so long do you think?
>>
>>3066717
it's fine

it's meant for you to learn something and get used to drawing what you see instead of symbols, no real point in judging/critiquing your first day exercise drawing, keep going

also, tell me it's just a strange sort of crayon you're using and it's not an extreme case of chicken scratching that I see

if you're scratching over the same lines a million times go to drawabox d0t com, practice your lines daily and try to not scratch so much it's a terribad habit
>>
>>3066701
>symbol drawing is wrong
>not anime enough
Pick one
>>
>>3066733
sorry, could you point out what are the muscle masses I'm making up? I'm looking at the reference and I'm just not finding them

about rendering and drawing the head, that's not my point here, I'm really trying to figure out the muscle shapes

about learning anatomy... this is an anatomy study!

reference:
>>3063061
>>
>>3066736
I spent alot of time trying figure out my spacing on some of the lines, trying to figure out where the lines should go And how far apart they should be, a decent amount of erasing. That's my guess

>>3066739
I used a 2B Pencil the entire time, 3/4th of the time it was dull and 1/4th of the time I sharpened it sharp, tho even when it was sharp I did find myself going back on lines alot
>>
>>3066303
CC on this please, anyone? I know I'm shit so tell me what's wrong with it (besides being too thin overall)
>>
File: 1498645607806.png (914KB, 800x826px) Image search: [Google]
1498645607806.png
914KB, 800x826px
>>3066743
If you want to give it realistic shading the lines have to be redrawn again anyway. Whether it's realism or not there is something up with the lines of the mouth and nose. For anime there's too many lines on Misato's lips and Shinji's lips look funny. I think the picture on the left or you know those chinese artists that /ic/ keeps fangirling over? I think they do pretty good adaptation of the anime face into something semi realistic. (It's probably going to be the next style I fake myself.)

If you're going the cell shading route, you'd want as few lines as possible and as little shading for the nose as possible or it will look funny and/or western.
>>
>>3065996
Bruh, values are just as important as lines and they can be studied together and as early as possible.

>The irony of being an artist is you will never reach perfection, so don't even try
The irony of you telling anon to stop his value studies because his ellipses aren't perfect.
>>
>>3066413
You made it worse, the values you added are way off.
>>
I started drawing recently and have been putting a few hours in every day. I've always wanted to draw things I found interesting, with no real interest on being the next best, just doing it for fun. If i'm just looking to draw fanart from a game or disgraceful anime, should I follow the same learning path recommended in something like the sticky? I know alot of people will say that this is a shit ideal and you'll never actually be good at drawing, or it's even "disrespectful to art." Basically as I said I want to draw anime
>>
>>3066783
Manga is a sub-style of cartoon. Cartoon means that reality is stylized, sometimes simplified.
If you draw mangá, you're stylizing and distorting reality (like the eyes, nose, lines, etc).

> If you try to stylize reality without comprehending reality, your stylizing will suck.

> Put on your training wheels and draw from life. I started with faces because I it felt more confortable, but dead nature (like a bowl of fruit) is also a nice start.

> Also practice your lines with exercises:

SKETCH. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

These were my tips, the best of lucks to you
>>
File: randomdude.png (120KB, 553x856px) Image search: [Google]
randomdude.png
120KB, 553x856px
Been drawing in digital for a bit over a week now, this is my best so far.

My personal gripe is the shading in the hair, as I couldn't find a good way to do it so I just said fuck it, and left it shitty.

Thoughts?
>>
>>3066783
Anime is distorted reality. In order to know how to distort you gotta know what to distort.
>>
>>3066794
Do you draw for Wikihow?
>>
>>3066794
Poor.
>>
>>3066794
Nice, keep it up anon! Hair is tough. Try to notice the larger values and forms in the hair. Crossing your eyes can help with this.
>>
>>3065877
>>
File: 1460701218143.jpg (216KB, 808x800px) Image search: [Google]
1460701218143.jpg
216KB, 808x800px
I'd like to remind everyone:

>Only constructive criticism will be accepted. Rude or offensive comments will result in a ban.
That means you can't be mean to me when I post my work ok??
>>
File: JPEG_20170720_044948~2.jpg (68KB, 655x655px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170720_044948~2.jpg
68KB, 655x655px
I feel like I fucked up a lot on this. Is it normal to have this much trouble seeing values?
>>
>>3066838
Cute loli
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>3066840
>>
File: Grey_square_optical_illusion.png (159KB, 1087x844px) Image search: [Google]
Grey_square_optical_illusion.png
159KB, 1087x844px
>>3066837
when your canvas is white (or any color other than the color of your ref's background, but especially white) you cannot see values accurately. just block it in, at the very least, as one value with the paint bucket if you don't want to spend too much time on it. Your values are so off it's not even funny. Also measurement issues. Reread keys to drawing or some shit or go watch dorien iten
>>
>>3066846
Alright thanks, I'll put down grounds from now on. And I haven't tried dorien yet so I'll check them out
>>
>>3066862
Also for gods sake at this point in a painting use a bigger brush to block in better. Big to small. Getting caught up in details is not the right way to go. When you use opacity and start blending before your shit is blocked in you are muddying most of your values from the get go. Then you will spend more time later on correcting them (most of the time incorrectly since there are not a lot of 'correct' values to base and compare your strokes to).
>>
File: 1.png (71KB, 234x234px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
71KB, 234x234px
>>3065957
I would love to have some drawing friendos to motivate me everyday
>>
>>3065957
>perspective after anatomy
HMMMMMMM
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQNadGEPBU

can someone explain how does he mix these colors with normal brush?
>>
>>3066929
>tfw someone posts the video right after I somehow taught it to myself just by observing other people's arts
Go onto deviantart and find a brush pack with a nice slanty brush. You just trace that shit across softly and it will naturally blend. If it doesn't blend, pipette a bit in between and repeat until smooth.
>>
>>3066313
what do you expect to learn by painting overtop of the ref
>>
>>3066940
i have his brushes, settings and it doesnt even mix, just give another layer of currect color
>>
>>3066945
current* lmao
>>
>>3066868
This guy is right, lots of you should take notes. Start big by blocking in large similar values, then progressively get smaller and adding the mid tones. Lot of you seem to think there is only one step to rendering the light and shadow: "shading".
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2305x3182px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2305x3182px
>>
>>3066840

Out of interest have you tried using a lighter pencil? If you're using 2B, try HB. Easier for shading imo, can anyone tell me if there's anything wrong with only using 2B for linework and really dark shades?
>>
>>3066953

Btw, you self-loathing motherfucker, you are getting better. This is better than your last attempt at the egg.
>>
File: 1481896259163.webm (119KB, 394x236px) Image search: [Google]
1481896259163.webm
119KB, 394x236px
>>3066945
Soft light smooth movements.
>>
>>3066840
Your values are fine just try to shade more smoothly
>>
>>3066953
Different anon, but I like 2b and I also occassionally use hb. I find that I can get more even tones out of 2b and its more comparable to charcoal but without so much smuging. Sometimes I go to 4 or 6 because I like the smooth feeling.

But the pencil grades aren't universal; they translate pretty well but they vary between brands.
>>
>>3066956
idk, in paint tool sai i can do it easily but in ps not even a bit
>>
>>3066963
I relied on SAI like a crutch but and hated PS for the longest time but it seems that after I finally got some light, shadow, edge control and colouring fundamentals down I can paint in Photoshop much more easily than before.

This is a great video as well, fampai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrawPVjWNlU&list=PLUc3JG3VG60M2AYFXV6AVj6wnOkqOwOfx&index=2
>>
>>3066959

Thanks for the response man

Followup question, what brands are considered the best? I'm using Staedtler.
>>
>>3065957
>>3066431
>>3066870
Guess I'll join after grinding at least the first part of Aguri's guide.
>>
>>3066953
I used an H pencil for the lighter parts and 4B for the darker parts. I can only seem to make about 4 shades from each pencil.

>>3066955
Thanks. I'll try to refrain from venting here next time I mess up bad and wanna tear out the hairs on my nutsack.
>>
>>3066315
loomis, hampton, vilppu, rey bustos, scott eaton etc.
>>
>>3066993

Venting is okay man, just put it into your art and try not to hate yourself lol

I'm the dude who originally posted a self portrait and you said "you're already better than me". That actually really encouraged me, anon. I still get really angry with myself while I draw, when I fuck up. This is a bad attitude - we should accept mistakes and revel in learning from them.

I want to see you succeed too.
>>
I've beeb drawing less and less due to Uni. How do I fix this and crit pls.
>>
File: JPEG_20170720_095754~2.jpg (100KB, 692x795px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170720_095754~2.jpg
100KB, 692x795px
>>3066840
I tried again with a single blue pencil. Does this look any better? I know I need to smooth out my shading but I don't know how.
>>
>>3067013
Sketch while you eat, while you take the bus or train, when you need a break from studies. That's how I did it anyways.
>>
File: JPEG_20170720_102838~2.jpg (110KB, 776x885px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170720_102838~2.jpg
110KB, 776x885px
>>3067018
Fuck, tried a third time and this feels even worse. Goddammit >:(
>>
>>3066431
>>3066870
Join here! https://discord.gg/bqfDwh3

The purpose of this discord is mostly for sharing resources, motivation and posting your progress.

We will make it.
>>
>>3067033
You at least seem to have figured out terminator, core shadow, bounced light and occlusion area.

Try out a different angle or picture now.
>>
>>3067030
Thanks and I'm too shy to being my sketchbook to class. My colleagues always get excited for it, but I've been sketching during tests. But is the figure okay? Anything wrong?
>>
File: 1494718146166.jpg (254KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1494718146166.jpg
254KB, 666x666px
>>3066978
you can join
>>3067036
theres a text channel for posting exercises you do, to keep you accountable.

I just want to keep this channel troll free, if you're serious about learning, come and share what you're doing.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (62KB, 1083x892px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
62KB, 1083x892px
>>3065880
>>
>>3067078
that's pretty bad
there's some obvious stuff wrong with it
for example the left leg
>>
>>3067033
You might be more comfortable with your tonal gradients if you keep a lighter, softer hand while shading.

Try a scumbling technique and start light then build up value.
>>
>>3067083
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuc7Lk5tCfo forgot the link, this might get you in the right direction w your pencil application
>>
File: 15005650520302112512529.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
15005650520302112512529.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Am I doing this right? Starting from drawabox and basic programs
>>
>>3067078
learn construction. dont draw the outline of shit ffs
>>
File: dloodle.png (115KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
dloodle.png
115KB, 540x960px
Will making dumb drawings help me? All I've ever done is make a bunch of weird doodles on my phone and that's all I want to do, but I want them to be higher quality. Do I really have to do a bunch of drawings of wine glasses and bearded men?
>>3067092
You can't really do it wrong. You drew it upside down?
>>
File: IMG_20170720_114947.jpg (2MB, 2432x3286px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_114947.jpg
2MB, 2432x3286px
>>3065877
>Fart sound in wind
>>
>>3067093
how? (not that anon but still wondering)
>>
File: 1500566182286294611664.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1500566182286294611664.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>3067099
>>3067092
I drew that from the original pic

《---- is what I drew from the upside down pic
>>
File: 1473872248255.jpg (273KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1473872248255.jpg
273KB, 1400x1000px
Eh
>>
>>3067126
Looks the same as when I did it. Couldn't tell you what that means, But it's probably good.
>>
>>3067128
youre getting worse
>>
>>3067128
Might just be a bad example but I'm gonna have to agree with >>3067137

The older drawing looks better, but that might be because it seems more detailed.
>>
File: ghfjgkh.png (572KB, 644x476px) Image search: [Google]
ghfjgkh.png
572KB, 644x476px
How can I get better with the proportions and construction? Also, how big should my drawings be? I'm using A5 sketchbook.
>>
>>3067136
I don't know why but the mouse made me laugh.
>>
>>3067128
people are blind youre doing great.
>>
>>3067136
Well if thats the case then I better finish the drawabox lessons
>>
>>3067117
the fucking STICKY REEEEEEE how are people this incapable
>>
File: 1384850425.png (118KB, 332x450px) Image search: [Google]
1384850425.png
118KB, 332x450px
does anyone else get angry and punch things sometimes?

my hand is swollen again and it hurts to draw again because i get angry too much. everything is always so much easier for other people
>>
File: DSC_0022.jpg (462KB, 661x1069px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0022.jpg
462KB, 661x1069px
>>3065877
What did I do wrong here? Would normies be impressed by this?
>>
File: 15005691141401971905651.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
15005691141401971905651.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What part or loomis sbould I do first?
>>
File: 1492384299954.png (343KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492384299954.png
343KB, 500x600px
>>3067161
stop comparing yourself to other people, take a deep breath, concentrate, focus on positive self talk.

you'll make it.
>>
>>3066313
>>3066837
>>3067115
>>3067163
What the heck are you guys doing here? This thread is for beginners, and you guys are fantastico.
>>
File: 1498399922.jpg (26KB, 327x343px) Image search: [Google]
1498399922.jpg
26KB, 327x343px
>>3067161
oh hey it's a pic I've tried drawing before. this was fun.
>>
>>3067158
REEEEE HOW ARE PEOPLE SO IMMATURE WHEN THEYRE OVER 18 REEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

this isn't r9k act like a normal adult you retard
>>
Hey, did that Anon that wanted to try out construction exercises ever post? Really curious to see his progress
>>
File: mannikin frame.jpg (59KB, 1558x519px) Image search: [Google]
mannikin frame.jpg
59KB, 1558x519px
>>3067078
guess ill leave and start doing these for about a year
>>
>>3066415
I looked at your original painting, the paint over, and the ref. I honestly think the values are close enough. You missed a few things on the cheek and the cast shadow of the brow being too light in certain places, but the paint over went too far in the other direction by darkening those details, but then he grayed out other parts that should of stayed lighter.

I think the 2 of u are similar skill and above me, but I would call the values close enough. You probably need some 1 better than u2 to crit that.
>>
>>3066777
what is the point of applying values to a shape if it isn't the right shape, it makes perfect sense.

he'll be shading lopsided circles and boxes and wondering why it looks like a polished turd

sure, he can study values at the same time, but he probably shouldn't be trying to draw and shade still life if he can't draw a line or ellipse, or understand how ellipses and boxes fit into perspective

>>3066321
it's not meme advice, it needs to be established first and foremost or else they'll be shooting themselves in the foot later down the road because they can't draw a fucking straight line

by all means, continue to coddle beginners and tell them "you're fine! keep it up!" without giving them something that will actually cause them less pain and frustration. not to mention the traditional method like drawabox actually produces immediate results and improvement

sometimes I think you fuckers are doing this "fuck the traditional essentials, just draw how you want!" to purposely make beginners so frustrated they quit

I would have offed myself by now if I didn't learn the drawabox and loomis method and was still making sketchy wrist lines and anime faces
>>
>>3066794
I'm prescribing you some Loomis:
>>3065830
>>3065829
>>3065828
>>3065823

Get "drawing the head and hands" from the sticky for the rest.
>>
>>3067239
>>3066794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U if videos are your thing, this might be easier
>>
can someone help me? I got a psd file by being a patron but I don't understand how she suddenly made the line art like this, give contact info pls
>>
File: DFMqz-BVoAE2zVh.jpg (119KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
DFMqz-BVoAE2zVh.jpg
119KB, 1200x720px
>>
I'm new to everything, thought I would try messing around with watercolor then drawing over it.
I messed up badly on propertions, as you can see with the blacked out right side. His ear, and a bunch of other things.
I'll keep trying, and practice loomis
>>
>>3066195
Beginners shouldn't draw small, you draw small because you're unsure of yourself and mistakes are easier to hide if you draw small. Learning to draw confidently and expose your lack of knowledge is an underrated step for a beginner.
>>
>>3067172
I'm >>3067163
that's very flattering dude but I'm nowhere near where I want to be, I'll stay here for a while
>>
>>3067163
Ear too low, hairline is too far back, the nearest eye doesn't have a defined upper eyelid, and the brow on the far side is too smoothly curved. Good effort in drawing the ear still, and I think trying to apply the tones muddled up the eyelid more than anything.

Prescription: Learn to use your pencil to measure proportions. Hold it vertically and horizontally at different points on the reference to see what lines up with what. For example, the hairline at his temple lines up with the edge of his beard. Also a rule of thumb is that the top of the ear aligns with the brow.
>>
File: asd4.png (114KB, 377x610px) Image search: [Google]
asd4.png
114KB, 377x610px
If I'm trying to learn to colour/shade is it best to use all the tools at my disposal from the start, or to limit myself to black and white/shading with pencil only for some time?

Pic related is me having no clue what I am doing with the airbrush
>>
File: IMG-0193 (1).jpg (226KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-0193 (1).jpg
226KB, 1000x750px
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>3067284
Yes, at first only use black and white and use a big, hard brush or pencil.
>>
>>3067309

The sphere only represents the cranium, the upper part of the skill that holds the brain. Cross reference your head drawings with real skulls.
>>
>>3067033
>>3067018
>>3066840
Try cross hatching a few times, also draw the object bigger, take up the entire page
>>
>>3067309
You're going through the motions without fully understanding them.

Try doing that, but drawing upside down. It's going to be hard, but try to do it anyways. You want to be thinking in forms(spheres, boxes) instead of features(eyes, nose). Take your time, don't rush through each one.
>>
>>3067309
better construction + perspective
>>
>>3066943
i guess that's a compliment or some shit
>>
File: A 10 Thunderbolt II.jpg (149KB, 1434x922px) Image search: [Google]
A 10 Thunderbolt II.jpg
149KB, 1434x922px
To my eyes, this place looks ''ok''. Did I miss anything?

I should probably clean up and refine, but I feel like just moving into something else with a cooler and more aggressive angle. I've just realized all my angles are kinda boring.
>>
>>3067343

>this plane

FTFM
>>
File: DSC_0026.jpg (1MB, 3224x2264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0026.jpg
1MB, 3224x2264px
>>3067282
thank you so much, I drew this before I read what you wrote, could you give me some feedback on that as well? It's my nephew, can I give it to my sister without too much shame?
>>
File: shapes.png (1MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
shapes.png
1MB, 1000x750px
>>3067309
here's a rough example.

also what >>3067312 said.

make sure in your mind you're thinking the first circle you put down isn't a circle, but a sphere. take your time with it.
>>
>>3067343
the back looks a little off, like that fin should be a little further away from the engine.
>>
>>3067349
I think you should clean it up a little more first. People are very critical of the eyes in drawings, since they're the thing most people notice first. We also have a tendency to draw them larger than they actually are because of that. I think his eyelids hide more of the eye than you drew, especially the bottom eyelid, and you should define the highlight on the pupil a little more. If you want, the highlight on his hair is the brightest point in the picture, so you could not put an edge there at all. Maybe shade the background a little just to emphasize it?

If you think you'll smudge it by erasing, try putting a new sheet of paper over it and tracing over it, fixing as you go. You should experiment with less detail on the ears, since vision is drawn to areas with more contrast. It's common in portraits to put less detail into the non-important features.
>>
File: scan0604.jpg (844KB, 4960x7008px) Image search: [Google]
scan0604.jpg
844KB, 4960x7008px
is this the kind of perspective studies I should be doing. I'll post a few more after this.
>>
>>3067369
If it helps you to think in boxes and vanishing points, then yes
>>
>>3067359

I see it now, thanks. I'll try to fix it.
>>
>>3067343
Jeez dude, great freaking work
>>
>>3067363
I love you, this is all great advise, thank you!
>>
File: scan0604.jpg (164KB, 1413x1000px) Image search: [Google]
scan0604.jpg
164KB, 1413x1000px
>>3067369
>>
File: scan0605.jpg (90KB, 1000x708px) Image search: [Google]
scan0605.jpg
90KB, 1000x708px
>>3067381
>>
File: scan0606.jpg (132KB, 1496x1000px) Image search: [Google]
scan0606.jpg
132KB, 1496x1000px
>>3067382
>>
File: File_000-3.jpg (121KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
File_000-3.jpg
121KB, 1000x1000px
is it worth illegally downloading shit like PS, its so expensive.

btw any tips?
>>
>>3067413
if it's worth it is up to you and which program suits you the best. downloading isn't hard so just try it out
>>
>>3067413

Just don't get caught with an illegal version when you're drawing for money.
>>
>>3065950
body of the bass/guitar is looking a lil bit thin. i count 5 strings but only 4 tuning pegs. also what previous anon said, don't be lazy with the fishnets.
>>
>>3066233
This thread's for objective critique, not opinions
>>
>>3067172

They are beginners. If you can't see it you're even lower than a beginner.
>>
>>3067191

Copy it 50 times. Then 50 times from memory. Do it for each one of it and you only need a month.
>>
>>3065950

Your face is really unappealing.
>>
>>3067233
It's not either or. You can study both values and lines at the same time. None take precedence over the other, and it's retarded to tell one anon who's in the middle of values studies (and doing fine btw) to quit it and do something else you think they should.

Nobody is even bashing traditional approach. Btw, drawabox is hardly traditional. If you've attended any beginner drawing college courses, they will always start you off with a value scale and simple value shape. Lines and perspective studies are supplemented in between. Shows how much you know.

Practicing lines are fine but it will take time for them to get proficient at it. At the same time, they can do value studies. What is the problem with that exactly? You fell for the line-practice only meme. Doesn't mean everyone else should too.
>>
>>3067432
I am lower than a beginner. I'm really bad.
>>
>>3067418
How are people supposed to find out anyway? You can't tell from a png file or a product with it printed on there
>>
>>3067460

That's cool, just work hard on focused practice and not random doodling!. I recommend learning Scott Robertson How to Draw from cover to cover.
>>
File: fabrics.png (120KB, 566x480px) Image search: [Google]
fabrics.png
120KB, 566x480px
Can't draw fabrics for shit, any good references/guides?

>>3067413
just use krita, it's free
>>
File: Practice.png (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Practice.png
65KB, 1280x720px
When doing the placement of the eyes in a perspective like this, what's the proper width/angle?
>>
>>3066303
work on your values, don't be afraid to go darker with some lines.
>>
>>3067473
the shoulders make it seem like you're looking at the person from a lower position while the rest of the body makes it look like you're looking at it from above
>>
>>3066379
that's one fucked up hand. study anatomy more
>>
File: PHEW.png (3MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
PHEW.png
3MB, 2480x3508px
>>3065877
First painting I did without using lineart first.
>>
File: IMG_2363.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2363.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Cafe drawings.
Any and all crit is appreciated
>>
File: 1500587835197.jpg (146KB, 698x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1500587835197.jpg
146KB, 698x1000px
>>3067493
Woops, my bad, forgot to resize
>>
File: margocolorscheme.png (259KB, 1202x752px) Image search: [Google]
margocolorscheme.png
259KB, 1202x752px
Been thinking about strengthening up my fundies to improve my art. Thinking about subscribing to schoolism and new masters academy. are they worth it? is there something i'm missing? Pic related is my latest doodle.
>>
File: 1481701533726.png (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481701533726.png
67KB, 1280x720px
>>3067473
You gotta read loomis, anon

>>3067483
I disagree, you can still see the top of the shoulders
>>
>>3067523
erik olson's perspective series on new masters academy is pretty good, but you could probably find a torrent of it somewhere else. also check out some of glen vilppu's stuff on there.
>>
>>3067493
>>3067498
a lack of a kneaded eraser should be the least of your worries
>>
>>3067523
The first's color scheme is great Anon
>>
File: comp prog.jpg (2MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
comp prog.jpg
2MB, 3508x2480px
I'm new when it comes to creating environments and original illustrations. I've started this one with a guy in a robe looking at a scroll and theres candles, skulls and another scroll around him. I think the composition looks odd and I want to know what I can do to improve it.
>>
File: comp prog2.jpg (81KB, 1000x706px) Image search: [Google]
comp prog2.jpg
81KB, 1000x706px
>>3067604
Smaller
>>
File: IMG_20170720_193904.jpg (3MB, 2432x3286px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_193904.jpg
3MB, 2432x3286px
Tfw on shrooms
>>
why are there two beginner threads up?
>>
>>3067630
THREAD WAAAAARS
>>
>try 30 second gesture drawing
>always run out of time before the image flips to a new model
I understand the purpose of the exercise is to quickly get a feel for the subject but holy shit this is starting to piss me off. Every quick sketch looks fucking awful and I think I might be worse at picking up the gesture than when I started.

Would extending the time defeat the whole purpose of the exercise? I'll keep doing them in the hopes that I'll "get it" but I don't wanna develop a habit of shit line work in the name of speed.
>>
>>3067372
Do you know where I can find out how to translate measurements onto objects in perspective projection
>>
>>3067635
Did you watch Proko's videos on gesture drawing?

Either way, extend time if you need to. 30 sec gesture drawings aren't supposed to look much better than stick figures.

>>3067636
check out >>3053283

Both Perspective Made Easy by Ernest R. Norling and How to Draw by Scott Robertson have sections on that
>>
>>3067623
Drugs are for degenerate losers
>>
File: question.jpg (19KB, 296x320px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
19KB, 296x320px
Hey guys, not really an artist here or anything but I have a problem and looked for a solution EVERYWHERE and just can't find anything:

How do I cut paths in GIMP? I know it might seem trivial to ask such a question here but even /g/ doesnt know or give enough of a free and open fuck.
What I mean by "cutting a path" is removing the connecting line/curve between two anchors, so I can turn one path into two seperate or break the circle in a circular path.
>>
File: IMG_20170720_195450.jpg (650KB, 1944x2404px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_195450.jpg
650KB, 1944x2404px
just draw this at work
>>
>>3067643
Might be something in https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/

Otherwise I have no idea
>>
>>3067639
Yea, was actually the reason I started doing them in the first place.

I ain't expected perfection but good lord mine look like shit. Also trying to get used to drawing with an overhand grip.
>>
>>3067635

Start with 5 minutes then lower the time when you "get it" or are comfortable. Lower to 2 minutes then 1 minute then 30 seconds.

Don't listen to people who tell you to force yourself doing 30 seconds gesture. That's not the smart way to learn.
>>
>>3067648
I don't think it's good to keep going if you're frustrated then, try taking a short break and then get back at it. Banging your head against a wall isn't good for you.

Also you're probably not getting worse, your knowledge just surpasses what your hands can do right now. Ever see that one graph explaining how improving is just always your hands and eyes catching up?
>>
>>3067646
Nope, nothing. i watched like 5 tutorials totalling together about 40 minutes.
This is apparently something that GIMP can't do (yet)
>>
>>3067653
Yea maybe that would be a good idea. I tried a couple of the two minute ones, not good but at least they look human.

>>3067656
Break doesn't sound bad either.
>>
>>3067645
>Bottom
youre using sketchyness to hide mistakes. Clean and ill red you
>>
File: asdfsdf.jpg (138KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
asdfsdf.jpg
138KB, 1600x1200px
>>3067673
Welcome back. Throw me some red lines, too.
>>
File: plplpl.png (86KB, 800x896px) Image search: [Google]
plplpl.png
86KB, 800x896px
>>3066543
>>
>>3067442
Mind helping the guy out with a bit more than just an opinion, explain why the face is weird anon...
>>
>>3067683
finish one thing, from imagination (if it's from reference i dont red) and ill give you one big guy
>>
>>3065950
Loving the girl's rocker look and pose. Seems like she's really feelin' it, so you nailed that part. The overall shading looks pretty cool too. From a musician's standpoint though, there are some things that bother me. Don't mind them if you don't think accuracy is that important, I dig everything else regardless.

The frets on the bass make it seem unplayable. The first 4 are good, but the ones after those are either randomly spaced or "fanned". This fucks up the intonation and makes it sound out of tune all the time. Related to the fret distance is also the bass bodysize. The tip of the body (the one with the strap button) should be around the center (12th fret) between the nut and the bottom of the bass, so it may be a bit larger.

If you're going for the single humbucker pickup, the most common setup is to put it closer to the bridge. If you're going for a p-bass look, that pickup should look like a s-block from tetris. Or take this for reference:

https://reverb.com/au/item/2768703-fender-custom-shop-golden-rose-59-precision-bass-relic-rosewood-copper-metalic

If you're going for a j-bass look, then you got the wrong style because that's for nerds (just kidding).

I could go on about this including playstyle, but I think that's enough for today. Just ask if you want to know more about bass or guitars in general.
>>
>>3066807
fucking kek
>>
>>3067497
I don't think beginner thread is for you, you're a higher level anon
>>
>>3067448
I'm not telling him to ONLY practice lines, but that he should really focus on figuring out how to draw ellipses and fit them into perspective first, since that lopsided cone is the worst part of the drawing (and not the values).

I didn't fall for the lines only meme...it's worse. I fell for the pay for art school meme and took drawing 101. as dumb as it was taking art classes, it forced me to get those fundamentals in. we grinded the fuck out of lines and boxes in perspective before touching on values and it felt like my skill was growing way more than if I just tried to draw still life blind. if I knew fucking drawabox existed though I wouldn't have had to spend thousands on that memery, so I'm just trying to help some anons out

everyone should of course do a method that works best for them, but the 'lines / boxes / shapes" first method really isn't as bad as people say it is. it's some boring ass work, but it really produces results in the end
>>
File: fuuc.png (260KB, 733x734px) Image search: [Google]
fuuc.png
260KB, 733x734px
Some sketches from imagination. I really gotta do more studies, for heads especially
>>
>>3068988
>If I can at least make a face like any of these; then I'll be happy for a few days.
>>
File: Capture.png (24KB, 224x150px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
24KB, 224x150px
>>3068997
this one looks easy to emulate
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 113

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.