[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheapest Painting Surface

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (230KB, 623x422px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
230KB, 623x422px
I looked around at the stuff in stores near me and online at amazon and equated the cost of things per square foot of painting surface in search of the cheapest practice around. I recently started painting traditionally (started purely digital) and am really feeling the pain of bad paintings on my wallet. Each failure currently costs me about $2-4.

The materials below dont account for the cost of primer. The prices also very by size, but generally the medium sized surfaces are most afordable. (medium is 12x16 to 18x24 in inches)

The List of Materials and their prices per square foot. (it doesn't matter if you dont know what a foot is the ratio of cost to surface area remains the same. The lower the number the better.)

Hard board (fine plywood like thick cardboard with a hard coating on one side.
0.46875 on average, 0.3125 at best

Water Color Paper

Fredix Canvas Pads (as per Anon's reccomendation)
1.0313 for most of the big pads and 0.9157 amazon's choice

Unstreched Canvas by the roll and thinly primed

Arteza canvas Panels
>>
Didnt want to type up the scratch page.
I took the cost and divided it by the area.

Cost / LxW
>>
I buy pre-cut mdf panels. 5x7 inch is like 5p.
Gesso them with 2 coats of acrylic primer. Ready within 24 hours to use.
If your pic is a failure, scrap down down any lumpy bits & use it again when dry.

If you're painting in acrylic, then it's easy to just paint over anything you don't like.
>>
BTW, I also paint in watercolour. Use Bockingford which is cheap. The thick Bockingford for when you're flush and/or your work is getting worth the outlay.
Arches wc paper has gone right off. Saunders Waterford heavyweight is the bees knees.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.