[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to git gud with the least amount of practice? ie: most efficient

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: 1453957562783.png (95KB, 610x707px) Image search: [Google]
1453957562783.png
95KB, 610x707px
how to git gud with the least amount of practice?

ie: most efficient
>>
Draw 8 hours a day from references.
>>
>>3064568
you're asking a bunch of amateur and beginner artists how to get good and do it in an efficient way. lol
>>
>>3064568
Don't spend your time on /ic/
Download the resources and bail
Don't make the same mistakes I did
>>
these threads should be bannable
>>
>>3064568
Do studies instead of personal pieces

No tracing/color picking or other bullshit
>>
>>3064586
>Don't make the same mistakes I did
what mistakes were those?
>>
>>3064590
>No tracing/color picking or other bullshit
t. bucket crab

>you have to learn everything the way I learned it! you have to spend the same 10000 hours I spent on doing boxes and circles!
with the wealth of refs on the internet and 3D models, you can just trace and eventually your mind will passively internalize the anatomy. fake it till you make it
>>
it's another anons give advice and don't post work episode
>>
>>3064597
Spending more time on /ic/ instead of actually drawing for one
>>
>>3064602
how the fuck does that even happen? this board moves at a snail's pace
>>
>>3064607
by drawing literally nothing like 90% of /ic/ shitposters
>>
>>3064586
>>3064602
If you were serious about bailing you'd have put /ic/ in your hostfiles.
>>
>>3064608
Oh, I know those people. What a shit place.
"Critique" is apparently another way to say "Hide my cowardly ass behind the veil of anonymity, and spit uninformed hatred and vitriol at other people to validate myself against my massive insecurity."
90% of the time this is a shit place full of shit people who give useless, often completely incorrect or irrelevant feedback... Or just skip the feedback entirely and just insult you personally instead.
>>
>>3064613
this, ever since the election this board has received a ton of new users and traffic. a lot of these kids see the d/ic/k reputation and take it as a license to bully other people
>>
>>3064625
just stop posting and draw
>>
Be talented and have art teachers for parents who push you from a young age to be an artist.
Wa la
>>
>>3064576
is it better to draw with ref from the start or try on your own first and then use ref to see where you fucked up?
>>
File: ic negative vibes sjw.png (230KB, 465x433px) Image search: [Google]
ic negative vibes sjw.png
230KB, 465x433px
>>3064613
there is plenty of fair critique here. You just can't handle the idea that you did something wrong.
>>
>>3064568

You're asking for the current state of the art in how to learn something. You should look up articles from scientists or universities' advices to students. There seems to be a consensus on the following: there exist "desirable difficulties", but they depend on how trained you are (what breaks a newb may well be necessary for an experiment man). So you'll have to make your own schedule, and modify it as you go and progress.

Amongst those desirable difficulties, cramming is looked as ineffective and the hype now is on:
> Test-Enhanced Learning
> Spaced-repetition
> Interleave practices

You'll note that I left 'deliberate practice' out of that list. I consider this discovery to be a mere buzzword of what everyone knows, but never trust an Anon and read "PEAK, secrets from the new science of expertise". It will show you that people who got good worked harder and smarter, which is - according to the cover- a secret uncovered and a novelty.

Also put enough sleep in your schedule: it's been proven, time and time again, that it's the most important factor (not enough sleep=less retention) and also the most ignored by students and even teachers - even when the fact is shoved in their faces.

Good luck, OP.
>>
>>3064568
have someone explain perspective to you and learn 2 and 3 point. Do applied studies, i.e. plausible architecture.

copy the classic anatomy books cover to cover and attempt to at least learn the shapes of the muscle groups and general names.

internalize the human skull through studies and imaginative drawing

do digital photo studies of black and white reference 1:1 copies (good reference)

attend local life drawing

most bang for your buck in ur first git gud year by far.
>>
File: 1451189852708.jpg (7KB, 259x189px) Image search: [Google]
1451189852708.jpg
7KB, 259x189px
>>3064744
Whenever someone cries about this place giving no critique, I always think back to certain things this board told me that really pushed my shit to the next level. I'm convinced people who cry about the state of crit here unironically have some sort of behavioral deficiency.

had to vent
>>
Think about drawing once a day.
>>
File: Poo.jpg (43KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
Poo.jpg
43KB, 500x670px
>>3064568
>take other peoples illustrations and put filters over them.
>post on Tumblr and Deviant with a pencil next tot it.
>profit.
>>
File: Oyki.jpg (53KB, 724x504px) Image search: [Google]
Oyki.jpg
53KB, 724x504px
>>3064576
ok, im gonna try this and come back in christmas, you better not lying you f#cking furry
>>
File: 1474135670441.png (269KB, 785x546px) Image search: [Google]
1474135670441.png
269KB, 785x546px
>>3064946
>tfw the best critique I've taken here was from someone being an absolute cunt and taking 2 posts of insults to pretty much say "study more"
>wasn't even directed at me
>>
>>3064568
Thinking like this you will never make it.
>>
>>3064568
from a screencap i saved a while ago

>master drawing long straight lines in any direction
>master smooth curves
>learn drawing basic shapes
(cube cylinder sphere pyramid etc)
>learn mechanical perspective
>learn to draw basic shapes in perspective
>copy pictures upside down and in reverse

also check out 10 min drawing techniques
>>
>>3064568
You learn to understand what you're drawing instead of just drawing senseless.
>>
>>3064599
t. person who never made it
>>
>>3064568
copy whatever artist you think is really successful, master their style, accidentally learn some of the basic concepts of composition.
>>
File: 1461282973930.png (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1461282973930.png
2MB, 1280x960px
>>3064568
>>3064576
>>3064590
Do this shit if you want to plateau forever and are comfortable with not being able to draw anything without reference, ever.

50/50 study and application if you want actual gains, if you do studies all fucking day you're only going to get good at making studies and retain little if nothing at all. Drawing from imagination will teach you your weaknesses, studies help you patch those holes in your game up to the best of your ability. The next time you draw, you apply what you studied and you get better. You can make up your own schedule as you see fit but the whole process is essentially boiled down to this. Don't just do copies or studies of shit randomly and fall into the trap of thinking you actually accomplished something, if they didn't serve a purpose then you just wasted your time.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 699x645px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 699x645px
Trace and remember the flow of the simple shapes you drew, don't trace actual photos but drawings of people whose art you like, then do some drawings using line-of-action.com of the body parts you traced/studied. Eventually you should try to copy the art of artists you like without having to trace, you'll get good at that, too, mix that with a bit of reading from:

Bert Dodson
Michael Hampton
Ernest Norling

Not a must but try to have art friends who can tell you why your shit is bad, /ic/ isn't very good at giving critique and you never know if the guy on the other end of the computer is any fucking good (he probably isn't). I think I've had one good redline my entire time here, and that was by some furry guy I'm guessing (whose blog I never even asked for ;-;)

That's not advice you get on /ic/ because it's actual good advice if you're a complete beginner like me. I made a lot more gains from this than "STUDYING LOOOMIS"

Hope I helped OP
>>
>>3065858
> Not a must but try to have art friends who can tell you why your shit is bad
Where to find?
>>
File: Capture2.png (733KB, 508x687px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
733KB, 508x687px
>>3065933
Honestly couldn't tell you, I went to a small HS with some good artists and some of the friends I made in college also happened to be artists so I talk to them sometimes, honestly it's not a must and I barely use them as a resource, usually you can get by without critique etc while you're a beginner.
>>
>>3065933
I wonder this too

>show a friend my art
>they say it's great
>say I'm a little disappointed in myself
>they ask what is wrong with the piece I showed them
>explain my lack of fundamentals in detail
>they respond with "I don't see any of it"

Maybe I'm too critical but at the same time I know for a fact I need to keep working. I rarely get critique on /ic/ too.
>>
>>3066000
I wonder this too.
Have buddies who do art for a living, and they never provide crits. It's usually a "not bad, keep going" or whatever. And when I do ask for specific advice, it's usually a REALLY basic answer.

>Hey friend, how do I draw a head correctly?
>Well.... I draw a sphere... and put counter lines... and that's it! (smiley face emoji)

I should just shut up and practice more.
>>
File: Capture6.png (1MB, 702x700px) Image search: [Google]
Capture6.png
1MB, 702x700px
>>3066017
What are you doing for practice? Do you trace as I recommend?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.