[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every time I visit museums with painters friends of mine (I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (379KB, 648x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
379KB, 648x1024px
Every time I visit museums with painters friends of mine (I'm a pianist, I've got no training in visual arts) I always end up overestimating the skill required to produce the pieces I see. What seems easy to do takes decades of practice, what seems really hard to replicate is more often than not some sort of fancy trick.

So here's my question: when compared to other great painters, how good is Dalì, actually?
Whenever I look at his paintings I immediatly get the impression that he was a virtuoso, but maybe I'm just being tricked by the originality of his subjects. Was he THAT better when comoared to the average beaux arts student/professor?
Of course I'm referring to craft only here.
>>
Dali was not an extraordinary painter in the classical realist sense, although he became quite skillful towards the 50's and I consider the painting you posted to be a masterpiece. 20 years prior he was nonetheless bold with a brush, had a great sense of color and most importantly his subject matter more than made up for whatever he lacked in technical proficiency. The persistence of memory is one of the most easily recognized pieces of all time, that's gotta count for something.

Arts students may be very technically capable but still lack vision. One look at Artstation today proves that in excess.
>>
>>3063835
uhh just map your experience with music to visual arts, like fuck.
>>
>>3063856
>Arts students may be very technically capable but still lack vision
I'm very aware of it, it was just curiosity.

>>3063879
Not that easy when you don't know what a brush can actually do, and what degree of control painters have over their strokes.
Do you really think that you can analyze counterpoint properly after having studied some colour theory? As far as you know Bach is as good at counterpoint as everyone else, the motives of his excellence are hidden from whoever won't study his scores extensively. O feel the same way when I look at paintings.
>>
>>3063835
>So here's my question: when compared to other great painters, how good is Dalì, actually?
Good. It's not all about technical skill though, you're thinking about this way too one dimensionally.
>>
>>3063894
Don't worry, I'm not judging him entirely on his craft's merits, I just wanted to have a glimpse on what craft analysis in paintings look like. Dalì is a good example imo, since all of his paintings are so impressive, so much that I can't analyze properly what I'm looking at. I'm aware that evaluating Dalì as a craftman is missing the point.
>>
>>3063835
Answer your own question, just look at the pic you posted with your eyes.

Jesus' perspective is way off, especially considering the angle of the cross. It looks like he his almost standing perpendicular to the cross. Also his anatomy is incorrect. The foreshortening hides it, but just look at how long his neck would have to be to go in that position. Is this Jesus or Giffarus? The proportion of his body to the cross is waaayyyy off. I mean is Jesus 6 inches tall or is the cross 200 ft tall? Jesus would have to be made longer or the cross way shorter. The painting has more problems, but I'm just going to stop here.

Dali may be a master, but there's more to mastery than technical competence.
>>
File: Living Still Life.jpg (192KB, 1030x811px) Image search: [Google]
Living Still Life.jpg
192KB, 1030x811px
>>3063835

From a purely technical level Dali was a decent draftsman, not quite in the level of the artists he admired like Velazquez or Vermeer but really really far from anything you would call amateurish. His real genius though was in the content of his paintings. Dali combined new ideas discovered in science from psychology, biology, to physics and mixed them with his own metaphysical and religious views. Due to his larger than life personality a lot of people simply shrug him off as madman or even a druggie. But when you read about him as well as his own writings you really get a deeper understanding of his works as well as himself.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.