[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I started this oil painting and wanted to share my

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: 20170717_132117_resized.jpg (2MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_132117_resized.jpg
2MB, 3984x2241px
Hey guys, I started this oil painting and wanted to share my progress. Plus open for any ideas on how to do the body.
>>
This is the photo i used as reference.
>>
>>3063464
Learn color theory, tones and composition
>>
File: salinity.jpg (187KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
salinity.jpg
187KB, 1000x1000px
>>3064241
I like his choice of colour palette.

As far as composition, I think there might be too much empty space. This can be made more interesting by adding other things.
>>
>>3064371
His red doesn't mesh with dark blue values
And the bright white front ruins the composition by distracting you too much, it's unnecessary and takes too much focus
>>
File: 20170718_123854_001_resized.jpg (3MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_123854_001_resized.jpg
3MB, 3984x2241px
I've got to admit i struggled with the composition a lot, I wanted to have the crab sort of shying away and thought upwards of the canvas seemed like it would be chased away. However its also going to be in a big bright plasic bucket. This also made the composition difficult because i would have to show the "lip" of the bucket or you'd be in there with it. working out the space for the lip and the crab turned out complicated for me...

As for the colors...Here's what I was going for. I wanted to emphasize the retreating shyness of the crab by giving it cool reccessive colours and have it sort of consumed by the hot red from all sides. I think it has that effect but as far as a balanced image... I'm not sure..its kind of awkward...then again that awkwardness is appropriate in this situation of something out of its element... plus isnt that the nicest blazing red you've ever seen?
I'll look at the sticky for color theory links im pretty unsure about that even though i like to get daring with it.
>>
>>3064402
if you could clarify matching values I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>3064425
RUINED.

I'll buy it for $30 bucks+basic shipping for it.
>>
>>3064402
i think it looks nice
>>
File: 20170719_121008_resized.jpg (2MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_121008_resized.jpg
2MB, 3984x2241px
Its getting there but really get the feeling like it's missing something will prob add something new like >>3064371 suggested.. I dont want to think about it too much but maybe somethng sitting on the lip of the bucket.
>>
>>3063464
cute snipper
>>
>>3065593
if you're feeling ambitious, you could add in some water that the crab trailed in with it. I agree that it needs something more, though. Your setup is too "sterile" right now. Realistically, you're not going to pick up a clean crab and put it in a clean bucket. But water drops would help define your bucket, too. Water pooled at the bottom, water dripping down the side... etc etc
>>
>>3065593
Put him on a plate with crab cakes
>>
So it's supposed to be wet glistening crab shell right? Get some of the red light bouncing off of its shell. Then also paint something that's above it reflecting off the shell.such as goatse's stretched anus
>>
File: 20170719_231143_resized.jpg (965KB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_231143_resized.jpg
965KB, 2656x1494px
>>3065977
>>3065784

good suggestions. I think im just going to move the whole lip upwards and then crop the canvas. I will add the odd drop of water just to make it real enough. The shitty attached pic is my test for the "lit up" part of the bucket. Will be so glad to be done with this, starting to hate it the way it is now.
>>
you should have stopped at the op.
>>
>>3066140
Oh shit man no you overcooked it wtf :(
>>
>>3066140
You painted all that just to test? Waste of paint my dude.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.