[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth it to go to art school for animation?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (34KB, 640x294px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 640x294px
I wanna know if it'll fuck my career up later on or something by giving me a useless degree/being a waste of money. Do you really need a degree in art to get good art-related jobs (animations specifically)? Is there anything I'd learn that I couldn't find online or learn through trial or error eventually, or at least learn quicker? Is it worth it, or should I just study psychology or something as is my backup plan?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>3062767
Most people who go to art school end up broke, depressed and making flash cartoons and wix templates for 3 cents an hour.
>>
>>3062767
make your own animations on youtube
someone will see it and hire you
>>
>>3062767

>Do you really need a degree in art to get good art-related jobs (animations specifically)?

No. They will never ask to see your degree.

Honestly, I think getting a "degree" in art is a waste. But professional training is not. Look into taking classes a la carte. Depending on where you live, online might be your best bet, but you've got to have self-discipline.

I took a Gnomon class a few years ago, and it helped push my digital painting to the next level.
>>
>>3062806
I have never related more to this post so much in my life.
>>
>>3062767
>>3062806
>>3062880

you do NOT need a degree to be a successful artist

you DO need a degree if you want to work inhouse abroad for Visa. USA and Japan need a bachelor in a related field to enter the country, but its different for every country.
>>
>>3063210
this sounds like a problem.
>>
>>3063210
This. I got a degree in painting, got into a few local galleries but ended up teaching myself product design while working retail. Now I work for a design company in Japan (I'm from the US) but they wouldn't even consider my portfolio until after they confirmed I actually have a degree. It didn't even matter that it's an art degree, they just cared that I had one and a strong design portfolio and have at least some exposure to Japanese (there's a few Americans/Brits here so everyone speaks English but knowing basic Japanese speeds things up).
>>
>>3063210
>>3063663
Why is Japan falling for the degree meme
>>
>>3063691
It's a government restriction to ensure they provide jobs to their own citizens first. Else the country would be flooded by fucking weeaboos.
>>
>>3063663
what company do you work for? asking for a friend
>>
>>3062767
I personally would want to go to art school myself, but I'll be honest- it's just a paid version of drawing and seeing what other people think.

Hell, there's TONS of books out there regarding animation and art in general, just download/buy a few to get the basic ideas and post stuff online. If anyone notices, they'll help you improve.
>>
>>3062767
what app is that?
>>
>>3062806
The biggest problem with animation courses is the low standard for entry. I swear there should be some sort of quality control on who is allowed in, maybe then art schools won't be full of such talent-less shit.
>>
>>3062767
Go to France, there is the best animations schools in the world here, you can check Gobelins for sure but also ESMA who give courses in english. It is also a lot less expensive than in USA. You can check their youtube channel to see how good they are.
>>
Is it worth it it? Yes and no. Yes because you'll learn everything you wouldn't if you weren't the kind of person who is self motivated to learn it yourself. No if you're broke and end up buried in student loans like I did. Don't go to Art Institute. If you're gonna go into debt, go to a reputable school known for it's animation department.
>>
>>3064223
Are schools not for learning something you don't know?
>>
Hello all do somoebody know good animation in czech ? In france is super expensive
>>
>>3062767
from knowing others who wanted to work in the animation industry, ALL who applied for a position all said animation employers require you have a degree in art/animation.

unless you learned on your own since a kid and can provide a good portfolio where you can show technical competence not only in traditional gestural drawing, live quicksketch AND computer animation showing 5-10 min pieces, then you can probably be lucky enough to be hired without an animation degree.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.