[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intentionally letting watercolor paints dry before using them?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: van-gogh-watercolor.jpg (67KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
van-gogh-watercolor.jpg
67KB, 650x650px
My wife uses Van Gogh watercolor paints in what I think is a really strange way. She squeezes some paint from the tube, lets it dry on the palette for 48 hours, and then uses a wet brush to paint with it.

I've certainly seen lots of information about reusing dry watercolor paint, but I've never encountered anyone intentionally waiting or the paint to dry before starting to use it. She says this is the way to get the right consistency. Waiting two days sounds like a huge pain.

Has anyone else encountered this?
>>
i have a butcher tray that i put gouache on to use like watercolor pans after it dries onto it from whatever i was using the paint for originally for practicing washes and stuff to conserve and make use of all the paint left over ( when you use it fresh out of the tube i know its better ) and i always keep my koi watercolor box paint dry so that i can limit the moisture by using water brushes and it makes dry brushing easier. so maybe thats what she means . she can control the consistency of the paint from watery to nearly completely dry.
>>
People usually do that when they want to paint outdoors/while travelling to not make a mess.
I find it makes it hard to get a good range of values like that though, painting from dry paint tends to look dulled out.
>>
Yeah that's how a lot of the pros do it. it makes your paint last longer, but it makes it easy to adulterate some colors, esp. yellow
>>
File: 112917-PICT005433333.jpg (22KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
112917-PICT005433333.jpg
22KB, 448x336px
some pallets are designed for you to do this.
>>
>>3062503
Yeah, that's how a lot of painters like to do it. My childhood art teacher, now a famous watercolorist, does this.
>>
File: 1423855606251.jpg (99KB, 908x714px) Image search: [Google]
1423855606251.jpg
99KB, 908x714px
>My wife

Depends on what effect you want to achieve
I use paint from tube on sky/water while other things(especially leaves) are better to do with dried paint
>>
>>3062503
I've always preferred half pan watercolours to tubes. My paintings always end up looking better with them.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.