[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Problem. I can draw fairly realistically. But I suck balls at

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: Screenshot_2017-07-16-12-40-35.png (699KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-16-12-40-35.png
699KB, 1280x720px
Problem. I can draw fairly realistically. But I suck balls at drawing from imagination. And I want to draw manga. But I suck at that too. Unless I'm drawing from a source things just turn out shit
>>
It's because you haven't learned what you're trying to draw. Think of a kid learning how to write; he can copy the letters, but he can't write them without a guide. He needs to practice writing them. You need practice; that's it.

Try drawing the same thing over and over until you practically have it memorised. Also, look into grabbing an anatomy book for artists. They're like 6 bucks on Amazon.
>>
Well probably a fair point. I did take art in highschool but I missed the first few months where they covered the fundamentals. So drawing is easy, but actually constructing an image is a struggle compared to just drawing what I can see
>>
When drawing from a reference, all the information is already there, you just have to copy it competently. You're translating a 2d image to another 2d image. I'd say drawing from imagination is 10 X harder than because you have to come up with everything from scratch. There is no information given to you. You can only rely on your visual library. What helps me expand my visual library is trying to draw something a few times, then redrawing it from memory, then while looking at the reference, drawing it at a different angle and trying to draw it from different angles from memory. This isn't something you can do in a day, it takes a weeks of practice for just one thing, and even then you always have to go back to drawing it again every once in a while or else you'll forget it.

This also works for anime, if you wanna draw anime, draw anime along with your realism studies, don't wait until you think you're ready, yeah it's going to suck but you have to bear with it. Pick your favorite anime artists and use the method in the last paragraph to try to learn how they draw anime. Don't mindlessly copy their work but try to understand why they do the stylistic choices that they do. Really dig in and examine.

Read the sticky and study the books in it, you have to understand form, perspectives, light, anatomy, the whole 9 yards, while also expanding your visual library. Drawing from reference and drawing from imagination are like 2 different skills.
>>
>I can draw fairly realistically

No, you can't.
>>
>>3061772
Yeah I guess it all comes down to practising the basics until drawing from imagination becomes natural. I'll check out the sticky and see what books it recommends
>>
>>3061773
Ooooooooohh! Buuuuuuuuuuurrrnnnn!!!

I'm sure you feel great now dontcha butthurt? Why dont ya treat yourself to another doughnut before you hobble back into your moms basement.
>>
>>3061781
desu, your response was more butthurt than anon's comment.
>>
>>3061777
To add to this, drawing from imagination all about understanding the subject your drawing, if you can't draw something well from imagination, chances are that you don't really understand it. Study, study, study, you can never study enough
>>
>>3061773
>>3061782
Well hey if anon can do better he's welcome to judge. He should put up if he wants to talk down
>>
>>3061785
don't expect pats on the back. If you want that, then post on reddit. Otherwise, you'll have to just deal with people not liking your art and your posts.
>>
>>3061784
Yeah I get what you mean. I'm just strapped for time and energy since I've got to work to survive. Life in africa without poor assholes for parents lol.
>>
>>3061788
I'm not asking for likes. I'm just saying you can't try to put others down when you're beneath them. That's a butthurt thing to do. Hence they're in their moms basements. Beneath pretty much everyone.
>>
File: fig.007.jpg (93KB, 850x1024px) Image search: [Google]
fig.007.jpg
93KB, 850x1024px
>>3061785
yknow what. I'll take the bait.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-16-15-01-35.png (245KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-16-15-01-35.png
245KB, 720x1280px
>>3061795
Well would ya look at that. Anon knows how to download pictures from the Internet. Bravo.
>>
>>3061799
you do realize I'm apathy from deviant art. Right?
>>
Just start trying
>>
>>3061801
You do know that apathie from devianart wouldn't mispell apathie right?
>>
itt: faggot trolls and an OP that can't deal with criticism.

You're all a bunch of mongoloids.
>>
>>3061804
I actually tried to help OP, don't lump me in with them
>>
>>3061804
Criticism is very welcome. Not from trolls tho. From people who are actually here to draw
>>
>>3061809
but let me get this straight. If someone thinks your art is crap and they're being honest, they're trolls because they don't agree with you?

Fucking janitors need to delete this thread asap.
>>
Look OP, honestly the hardcore truth is that you suck. You're a beginner tier artist. You have no understand of fundamentals other than being able to copy stuff, and even that you aren't good at. Maybe you might be able to impress your normie friends but that shit doesn't fly around here.

>inb4 post work

Attached my work so you can see that I'm credible. Have a nice day.
>>
>>3061809
Your drawing is very flat, It's evident by the way you drew the nose, absolutely no sense of form.

The grid method is pure cancer. I have no idea why they teach that method in high schools.
>>
>>3061772
This. It's a different discipline. You have to be able to *everything* - anatomy, foreshortening, light & shadow, perspective, draughtmanship, color theory etc etc

It's tough.
>>
File: 1500110761294.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1500110761294.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
These fags serious? I been through this board for days and it's all shit. No one is good
>>
>>3061814
Ofcourse I'm a beginner. I'm 19 ya genius. Not 65 years old like you fagboats
>>
Personally, I'm glad this thread got ruined. OP is an insufferable, pretentious douchebag that suffers from dunning kruger.
>>
>>3061836
Didn't he say he was black?

Seriously though, OP, you've got to just learn from the experts. There's no getting round it - I spent years wasting my time trying to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.
>>
>>3061836
You're just mad about being exposed for lying about being apathie lols
>>
>>3061025
>>3061025
>>3061025
>>3061025
>>3061025
>>
File: 1497166267165.jpg (233KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1497166267165.jpg
233KB, 1280x960px
Plot twist: every post on this thread was posted by OP
>>
>>3061801
>>3061773
The level of pathetic that /ic/ shitposters have reached is unparalleled.
>>
>>3061876
Agreed
>>
your mind is in binary 2d copy mode. it thinks like a printer and doesnt understand 3d space or forns. Every beginner who starts out copying photos is like this
>>
>>3061902
be careful. OP thinks he draws realistically and anyone that disagrees is beneath him.
>>
>>3061703

Those are unrelated issues.

Drawing from imagination is based on your existing knowledge. You can for example draw an acceptable unicorn only if you've already drawn horses, know horse's anatomy and perspective, >>3061772
explained it better than I did so I'll leave it at that.

Manga on the other hand is about storytelling: you could master all the fundamentals and still draw a story looking like those cheap photo novella. Go to the General Books thread and download their books about comic/manga, understanding comics is a fair entry in those issues, then Araki's manga in theory and practice; wether you love Araki's work or not, he's forgotten more than you and I know.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.