[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you line art?!

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

I just got a tablet and SAI, and I'm trying to make a line over my hand drawn drawings, and I can't get the lines straight.... Any tips???
>>
>>3060355
1. Constant, deliberate training. Do it again and again. There are no shortcuts.

2. Turn the autoSmooth off. It jist irons out all personality off your lines. You may use it later, when you understand what EXACTLY it does, but please not as a beginner.

3. If your tablet is horizontal, hold the pen in the "chinese calligraphy brush" position, not like a writing pen.
You may want the tablet at an angle, get a book-stand or glue it to a screen-mount (google for Ergotron).

Good luck
>>
>>3060414
Do I outline with one fast stroke or one slow stroke? I'm guessing the lines will be more consistent once I get used to the tablet.
>>
>>3060355
Draw a line and either ctrl+z and draw it again because it looks bad, or draw the next line.

>>3060414
>It jist irons out all personality off your lines
>hold the pen in the "chinese calligraphy brush"
Fuck off chinaman, stop trying to meme whitey
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (83KB, 927x456px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.png
83KB, 927x456px
>>3060355
use for delay control and straigh lines only
>>
>>3061555
I'm already using that. But whenever I use short strokes, I have problem connecting the end of different lines.
>>
>>3060355
>>3060355
Use force from your shoulder or elbow, not your wrist. Keeping your wrist locked while in the movement of drawing will reduce wobbliness

I try to do each line in 1 single, fast stroke. But sometimes you can't with really long continuous lines like the hair or body. Just ctrl+z until you get it right, sometimes it can take 5-10 attempts before you get the line perfect.
>>
Okay, so I some what got the line art part down. But how do you color without one layer going into another? Like skin to cloth or hair to background. I'm watching tutorials, but none of it seems to explain it.
>>
>>3062368
>says got line art down
>doesn't even know how to separate layers
The line art separates them.
>>
>>3062370
Does it? I must be doing something wrong then.
>>
>>3062368
Make multiple layers and not just one color layer.
For example, clothing layer over skin layer. So when you paint the skin, it doesn’t paint over the clothes. Assuming you painted clothes first.
>>
>>3060355
I always do it by hand because I really believe that if you can train up your muscle-memory and line technique then you can do it easy on the tablet, it is like hitting to birds with one stone.

One thing that really helps me is doodling, like the picture I did, because then I just start making random clean lines and even make some mistakes which I then have to work with to create something else (and also to hide the mistake)

Hope it helps!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.