[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

8 Heads Body Proportion

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

The Anatomy book I'm reading (and a few artist on YouTube I'm subscribed to) keep stressing the importance of this step. It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to do it, it just takes griding and I've always hated that. I will gladly do it if it's a necessity, BUT I've also seen artist not go with this method and still draw accurate human proportions. I'm just wondering if any of you went with this particular method or if there was another way.
>>
>>3058486
It's just a rule of thumb to remember proportions. Once you've memorized it you won't need to draw a grid every single time you draw a figure. By the way, I think this would've been better suited to the question thread rather than making an entire thread. Try asking there next time.
>>
>>3058493
Thanks and yeah, I'll ask there next time.
>>
>>3058493
This. Also you don't even need to grid it out to check it, you can just draw a person in any position, check for proportion consistency, and unless the perspective's at an extreme angle or you use severe foreshortening you should be able to do that without any grids. Over time it'll come naturally too, just keep studying real people and checking and you'll train yourself into it.
>>
Animu characters are usually 5-6 heads tall. It all depends on what you ideally want to draw and how tall the character is
>>
It is a good rule. In portraiture you're always thinking of the head as being between 8-9" in length. If the proportions are 8x8, then your character is about 5'5. An 8.5" face would be normal for men. If it's 9x8, then your character is over six feet and we're in the realm of more commercial illustration.

Avoid lengthening a face unless you're consciously stylizing.
>>
>>3058532
No matter how lengthy or short the face is, CENTER THE DAMN EYES.

Thanks
>>
>>3058486
Depends on what you draw.
If you draw cartoony pinups or anime girls, so long as top of head to belly button, belly button to knee and knee to tiptoes are roughly the same size your waifu will look good even if her head or hands/feet are cartoonishly big (within reason).
If you're going for realistic proportions, you need to go deeper.
>>
Why is that figure hooved?
>>
>>3058486
I genuinely hope the picture you posted is not the "anatomy" book you're talking about because those proportions are horribly wrong as far as eight head proportions go.

In any case I'm going to echo what most people here have said and say that it's not necessary to draw or even really remember, but rather it's more important to understand land marks and their relationship to one another. I.e. elbows are located roughly around navel when the arms are at rest.

At this point you can more or less get the right proportions when the arms are raised by measuring an arc from the shoulder pivot point a la loomis or hampton book (or video I can't remember where else I saw it but that idea is everywhere)
>>
Eight heads is too much, the vast majority of people don't have that.
>>
>>3058486
Im sure an 8 head count is popular in fashion illustrations but its never really used anywhere else.
I normally use around a 6.5 head count, 7 for big "thicc" girls and a 6 for loli shit.
Knowing your proportions is really important for gauging landmarks of the body to make it all look right, but also remember to use proportion measurements not just for height but also width.
For example, I set up my measurements and divide each head count into 3s and also into 2s, then put all those lines vertically down to make a big grid. Using that I know exactly how wide to make the head, ribcage, hips, etc and also where to place them.
Eventually you will have these things mesmerized but until then its best to use a grid.
>>
>>3058486
ok so why does the proportion start from the tip of the hair instead of the scalp i dont feel like this is right
>>
>>3059288
This. People have individual proportions. 8 heads may be a good rule of thumb to get a notion of proportion, but if you really go deeper you will observe that people are all different.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.