[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Rob Liefeld do it!?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 972137-wiz26.jpg (538KB, 800x1075px) Image search: [Google]
972137-wiz26.jpg
538KB, 800x1075px
Seriously, how did he become one of the top comic artists in the 90s with THIS art style? Luck?
>>
File: anatomy.jpg (437KB, 1100x323px) Image search: [Google]
anatomy.jpg
437KB, 1100x323px
>>3057385

Shouldn't that discussion rather take place on /co/?

Style.
Rob is one of those cases where "this is muh style" is a correct answer. The right man at the right place, right time. He met the zeitgeist at a time where some readers wanted to read stories with a lot of guns, swords and pouches.
>>
I wish I could tell you. He never went to art school, never had any connections at Marvel et al, drew like THAT and was still hired on and became one of the most prolific comic illustrators of that era.
>>
"how the fuck did he do it, it must be a fluke in the matrix"

Rob Liefeld came to fame in the X-TREME RADICAL HOLY SHIT BRO 90's.

Ephedrine energy pills were still legal in gas stations and SURGE energy drinks which could give you diabetes if you drank more than 2 in one day were taken by a bunch of 14 year olds with backwards baseball caps and they wanted characters with 1200 pounds of pure muscle to match it.

It didn't matter that he couldn't draw worth a shit as long as he could draw Arnold Schwarzenegger death machine characters ripping everyone's face off.

When you look at the art NOW, it looks fucking retarded because there isn't any time period context surrounding it and Rob Liefeld can't adapt so he just comes off as a weirdo that doesn't know how to draw anything other than his time sensitive 90's niche ""style"" of anatomy.
>>
>>3057385
superhero comics are trash for children thats how
>>
File: rob-liefeld-1991_jp00wq.jpg (97KB, 1100x735px) Image search: [Google]
rob-liefeld-1991_jp00wq.jpg
97KB, 1100x735px
By being a chad
>>
File: warchild2.jpg (160KB, 454x701px) Image search: [Google]
warchild2.jpg
160KB, 454x701px
>>3057385

If you really want to know, here's a funny interview with Stan Lee, in which Rob tells his story. He even draws to original characters based on suggestions he receives from Stan Lee (which basically boil down to "give him more pouches and bigger guns")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3hBVvfQ9w

This one shows Rob with his pals Todd, Jim and that other filipino guy:

https://youtu.be/-BbktJt48qo?t=1987

Even Todd shits on his anatomy knowledge at a certain point.
>>
Liefeld was in the right place at the right time.

For almost two decades Marvel's style had been defined by Romita Sr, who worked as the art director. Marvel's house style was more or less a more conventionally attractive version of Jack Kirby's work. Bigh brushed lines, clean figures, all that.

But by the 80s that look was getting stale. The new crop of Marvel artists from the late 70s were getting adventurous. There was also a wave of import artists from England like Dave Gibbons and Alan Davis. And manga was starting to trickle in to the influence sphere, as demonstrated by Frank Miller's Ronin.

This is the environment in which the new wave of artists came up. They took these influences and combined them with pop culture of the day, which was extremely militaristic and cheesy, and took Marvel by storm. Todd McFarlane cut his teeth on Batman Year Two before developing his style on The Incredible Hulk and jumping into Spider-Man. Jim Lee brook in with a Punisher run that lead to the spot on X-Men. The art was hot and extremely popular, but not many artists were actually working in this style. Enter Liefeld, who had a severe lack of technical ability but could produce trendy work. He got in on X-Factor and became a millionaire.

Basically, Liefeld was there when they needed someone who could draw like him. The market's thirst for his style overrode his weak technical abilities. It was a movement in comics and he was a part of it.
>>
>>3057385

Well he invented Deadpool, so he aint all bad.
>>
File: 1456255039195.png (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1456255039195.png
9KB, 205x246px
>>3057516
>oh wow rob you're so good XD
cooed the girls at his school, feeding his ego. no wonder his art turned out as shit as it did, this faggot was probably showered with praise. please tell me he's at least short
>>
>>3057499
>>3057611
>>3057678

basically this

we're very fortunate to live in the time that we do now, with the internet and everything. no massive pop culture machine to chew everything up and regurgitate ad infinitum. there's still a lot to be said for trends, but for the most part people get to do their own thing.
>>
>>3057499

Correct

It was the 90's
>>
Drawing comics is very difficult. Most superior illustrator and fine art types could never do what Liefeld did even if they can draw ten times more anatomically accurate human figures. If Vilppu drew a comic under the same deadlines, i guarantee you it would look worse overall than a Liefeld comic. Not the figures of course, but everything else.
>>
>>3057890
I know right, anybody who tried at least once to make a few sequential pages realizes how fucking hard it is.

I have tremendous respect for comic book artists
also as for liefeld he came off as an asshole in his younger years and apparently fucked a couple people over and was a gigantic asshole

http://www.geekscape.net/history-of-the-nerd-everybody-hates-rob-liefeld

But he seems to have aged into a pretty cool dude and still sounds like he's having fun in the industry

http://robliefeldcreations.com/how-to-beat-the-haters-how-i-do-it/
>>
There were people who had to ink and color his pencils. Think about that.
>>
Apart from people saying he was in right place in right time, I think his art is entertaining to look at. I mean look at this fucker here >>3057611

There's so much happening in that drawing. Even if his anatomy is fucked up beyond oblivion, I can't say his comic are boring to look at. You can feel some sort of energy, you can tell he has sense to convey a scene, but then he fucks it up with wonky anatomy.

Comparing him to Marvel that's today, I'd take Rob's comic over that shit every single day.
>>
>>3057944
Marvel doesn't have any consistent house-style anymore. So you can't really generalize "Marvel of today". It's all over the place, some art is really good, some is webcomic tier and everything inbetween.
>>
>>3057769
upon researching.

Some sources said he's around 1.62m or around 5'4 or something. But this is the internet, take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>3057690

He invented Deadpool but only to the extent of designing him to be a cross between Spider-Man and Deathstroke.

It was Joe Kelly who created Deadpool's personality, something Liefeld currently takes full credit for.
>>
>>3057512
Pathetic ass casual. Kys moviecuck
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.