[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gitgud

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: Fall Poster!.jpg (89KB, 742x960px) Image search: [Google]
Fall Poster!.jpg
89KB, 742x960px
has anyone checked out this school in the LA area? Seems legit if you want to get into Film/games.
>>
I went there for one class. The school is run by James Paick and John Park I think, who are both awesome teachers.
>>
oh nice! Did you learn a bunch? I wanna gitgud, but i dont have the 250k for ArtCenter
>>
>>3056467
>>3056460
Have you heard about Concept Design Academy? I think it's pretty close by and it's way older. I'm debating if going to one of them but really unsure about the quality of either.

>>3056467
Also, if I may, do you remember if in your class there were any students that were taking or planning on taking all of their courses? That's what I have planned, 3-4 courses per semester for 3 or 4 semesters. Not sure if it's really feasible or worth it because of how the classes are scheduled is kinda annoying, mostly classes on weekends and some mondays, that would leave me a lot of the week without nothing really going on, other than homework, which I assume would still leave me with a bunch of free time.
>>
yeah i hear at Brainstorm each class is about 20 hours of homework, so I am hoping that will keep me quite busy! But yeah ill check that stuff out for sure. ty
>>
File: CDA 2017 SU Brochure 01 a.jpg (366KB, 1600x873px) Image search: [Google]
CDA 2017 SU Brochure 01 a.jpg
366KB, 1600x873px
>>3056475
>>
File: CDA 2017 SU Brochure 02 a.jpg (391KB, 1600x873px) Image search: [Google]
CDA 2017 SU Brochure 02 a.jpg
391KB, 1600x873px
>>3056477
This is the Brainstorm School competition fyi.
>>
>>3056477
ah cool- seems like the schools have some classes in common and some different. Could probably mix and match
>>
>>3056475

Not him, but I take classes at CDA. 3-4 classes/term is doable if youre full-time student, and by full time I mean 80+ hr weeks. The workloads vary between classes, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2-3 classes/term. Hell, you can fill up a whole 80 hr week with one class if you're pushing the limits and going above and beyond, or doing other studying/portfolio work on the side.

The same goes for Brainstorm, more than 2 classes and you'll start getting less out of it.

There really isn't much if any occult/hidden knowledge you'll gain thats not somewhere in a book. The whole point is doing as good/great a job on the homework as possible so you get the most out of instructor feedback.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67KB, 1920x1080px
>>3056487
you said 2 classes for Brain but 3-4 for CDA? Is Brainstorm more intensive? What I want to know is, Do you think that if I were to take those 3-4 classes in either of the schools, would I be left with a lot of free time during the week? Or would that really fill up MOST of my time during the weeks there?

I know it's kinda weird to ask but I'm not from the US so I'd be traveling there and having to pay a shitload of money I wanna make sure I work my ass off and really make it worth it, no tourism and shit.

>>3056483
Also, there's Syn Studio in Montreal - Canada, looks more structured and they build a specific schedule and program for you with very similar classes, only concer I saw is that their student work felt really lacking and full of Photobashing, I get photo-bashing is a tool and nothing else, but fuck most of the student work they display is full of it and very jarring.
>>
>>3056493
i hear 2 classes is max
>>
>>3056475
I've been to both CDA and Brainstorm, but not as a full time student. I've already graduated and have a job, but I like to go and take a class here and there to improve my skills. I think what you have should be pretty good.

Both are good schools, but of course it boils down to the teachers themselves. From the ones I've had, James Paick, John Park, Kevin Chen, Peter Han, and Nick Gindraux are all very good.

In terms of the buildings, I prefer CDA's facilities- it feels more like an actual school. Brainstorm is like this warehouse divided into two sections with a wall.

>>3056493
They are pretty much the same in terms of workload. You meet once a week, review last week's work, then lecture and have an assignment due the following week. I took 3 classes in a term once at CDA which was just fine (there were also some students who were not from the US like you).
>>
>>3056500
Thanks for the insight. Have you taken more than 1 class at Brainstorm? I'm curious if what >>3056499
is saying is true, if Brainstorm classes really are more intensive I guess. Also, about how far from each other are both schools? I checked on google maps but I have no goddamn way to tell or feel how far apart they're from one another.
>>
>>3056493

No, I did not.

>3-4 is doable
>I've met people doing this, their homework suffers for it.

At most 3, optimal is 2 in my opinion. Same situation for Brainstorm, although I think their workload is ever so slightly higher.

>Do you think that if I were to take those 3-4 classes in either of the schools, would I be left with a lot of free time during the week?

No, in fact you'd have 0 free time, and be getting 4-5 hrs of sleep per night just to get it all done. You shouldn't be thinking in terms of how many to take to fill up your time. Whether 1 class or 4, you should still have 0 free time, unless you want to use some of the other time to do personal work outside class.

Like I said, you can fill up 10 sleepless weeks worth of homework by just taking one class if you apply yourself. Taking 3-4 classes, in my opinion and observations, just doesn't leave you with enough time to get the most out of each class, which is why I only recommend 2, maybe... maybe. 3.
>>
>>3056500
Awesome thanks!
>>
>>3056504
This sounds great, thanks for the insight as well. I'm only now worried that by taking 2 classes per semester I'll have to stay there for longer which would rise my cost of living in the long term, but oh well, if its worth it it's worth it.
>>
>>3056506
I ve taken a few classes at Brainstorm, its really helped me a lot, but CDA is also good. Just depends on what your goals are.

yeah dont go over 3 classes, you ll die
>>
>>3056503
Not sure, but doesnt Brainstorm's site have a recommended number of classes or whatever? 2-3 is definitely the sweet spot though, 4 might be a bit too much unless you wanna NEET it up and stay in your room 24/7.

The two schools aren't too far depending on the traffic, about 20 minutes with little/no traffic.
>>
>>3056508
> Just depends on what your goals are.
Why? Aren't they the same? Both focused on pure concept art more than anything?

>>3056509
Yeah, Brainstorm suggests this.

Very Serious: 3-4 classes
Serious: 2-3 classes
Part-timers: 1-2 classes
Liesure: 1 class

While CDA says this:
>If you are a dedicated student and wish to take classes at CDA as your full-time study, we recommend taking 3~4 classes as a comfortable work load to start with.

Once you are comfortable with 3~4 classes, then you can consider 5 classes if you are very efficient with your time management.

I don't know if their FAQs are simply not updated or what's the deal, but I'm definitely getting the vibe that Brainstorm School might be more intensive according to this thread and a few other people.
>>
Are you guys also Art Center students, or entirely prefer CDA/Brainstorm to save money and just out of preferences for the classes/teachers?

I'm looking at applying to Art Center in the next couple of years, but I've been hearing great things about CDA. It seems like 99% of students at CDA and similar schools are already at the industry level, though.
>>
>>3056560
I graduated from a state college before going to CDA/Brainstorm.

99% of students are NOT at the industry level, especially if you take a beginning class. From the work I saw, a lot of them are probably like average to a little better than /ic/ level. There are definitely the odd ones in each class who are super good though (no idea why they're taking the class).
>>
>>3056562
This is both discouraging and hopeful.
>>
>>3056487
>>3056500
>>3056504
>>3056508
So,which would ya'll recommend in the end? Because I'm still not sure, all I'm getting is that both are good quality courses and both seem to offer the same stuff.

+CDA is slightly cheaper.
+Brainstorm is (or might) be more intensive.

Should I just look up each teacher and choose based on the teachers and if I dig their styles and who they are?
>>
>>3056487
>>3056499
>>3056504
Can someone share some insight into what is the homework/assignments like? The consensus appears to be that 2 classes a week is more than enough. But are the assignments really that insane that you would require 6 days out of the entire week to deliver a good assignment?

Assuming the student is full time and the classes themselves take out 1 full day of the week and the others 6 are for homework.
>>
>>3056562
Thanks for the clarification. The Art Center alums/industry people living in the area I follow skewed my perception regarding the average student of CDA and similar schools.

Also, I just realized only the advanced courses (which only seem to be two at the moment) at CDA require portfolios, so most of their classes can be taken by less experienced artists.

>mfw live in Florida
Hope I can get to Pasadena soon.
>>
>>3056581
Off the top of my head, for an environment design class it'll be like:
Week 1: 5 value studies of movie/tv scenes
Week 2- 5 value paintings from imagination
Week 3- 2 fully finished value paintings, using texture/photo elements etc
Week 4- Color thumbnails for a finished image
Week 5- Finished image
Week 6-9 are usually about designing the environment and props.

It's really down to how much time you want to put in, For example, what you consider as a finished painting might take someone else double the time.

>>3056578
Both schools are fine, it just depends on the teacher. So try to find reviews of that teacher or just choose based on their work.
>>
>>3056654
I guess I underestimate the amount of time 5 value studies or something like that probably takes. I also guess that to make 5 really, really awesome values studies you'd have to have gone through dozens of failed attempts and that can really drive the amount of hours taken for the assignment. Thanks.
>>
sheeit, LA is expensive as fuck.>>3056493
Montreal Looking better by the minute even with lower quality education.
>>
good thread- thanks for help
>>
>>3056460
whats the difference between this and their patreon foundation stuff?
>>
>>3058415
Way more personal feedback, networking, more homework too! its a good time
>>
File: ezgif-2-7777ac47a6.gif (3MB, 413x298px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-2-7777ac47a6.gif
3MB, 413x298px
>>3056460

>750$ for a 3 hour lesson
>>
So if I'm not in hollywood I can't make it? I wish "hollywood" film industry was in Florida. There is a hollywood but it's just the name. So useless.
>>
>>3058881

At least you are in America, faggot.
>>
>>3058881
If you're in west Florida, at least you've got Ringling's art student populous to leech off of.
>>
>>3058879
For 10 weeks.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.