[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What about an artist and his economics?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: why-are-artists-poor.jpg (93KB, 700x1038px) Image search: [Google]
why-are-artists-poor.jpg
93KB, 700x1038px
have you planned working at MC'Donalds and living with your parents yet? or have you just accepted you will die young already?
>>
>>3055649
i've been living with my parents for a long time. i finally have customers. i have a style that people like. i have plans. i have commissions. all it takes is time. and i lucked out by being born with a support net.

also dying young is corny af these days.
>>
>>3055649
>why artists are poor

those who are poor are not real artists
>>
>>3055656
lol k
>>
i dont understand how some people think its ok to just do art and nothing else. art has to come from real life. you have to contribute with some kind of real job. the art comes secondary, and everyone is an artist.

i've never met an "artist" who i would consider a good and useful person. I would never choose an artist to be on my team.
>>
damn i suppose time has changed then
>>
I've been NEETing it out for a few years, trying hard to become good enough to make some sort of income. Nothing has happened and I'm exhausted and plateaued pretty hard, I'll keep studying as much as I manage but it's time to get a day job for me. I might even give up on this 'dream' already because it's honestly unrealistic to get anywhere for me at my current skill level.

I'm not even salty about it, just let down.
>>
>>3055649
A book written by (((them))) to keep you away from the industry they've built for their useless children to spew propaganda in.
>>
>>3055683

> propaganda

> spewing anti-semitism

lol
>>
>>3055682
you don't do anything, how the fuck do you expect to have something to say? what gives you the right to make any kind of statement through art when you haven't lived a real life?
>>
>>3055697
What are you talking about, I made no general statement about art or anything like that. I'm just really exhausted because I haven't improved as much as I should have, so it's time for me to branch out and stop relying on it.
>>
>>3055700
the art is the statement
any kind of art is a statement about life.

you need to have a life to make the statement
>>
The only poor artists are the ones who can`t market themselves or the ones who are just shit.
>>
>>3055649
Because most artists suck ass
>>
>>3055707
Well, seems to me like 99% of artists, including fine art masters, never made any valuable statement whatsoever and still did fine as artists. Did Sargent really need to have an interesting life to paint pretty portraits of rich people? Do the dragon catlady images of Ruanjia tell you about his struggles growing up as a rural chinese rice farmer?

You sound like the typical nerd who romanticizes everything without actually having experienced anything himself.
>>
File: icametolaughatyou.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
icametolaughatyou.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>3055707
>>3055697
>NEETs live invalid lives
>NEETs cannot produce artwork
>you need to reduce your free time by wageslaving before you can have a life
>implying NEETs don't have stockpiles of statements to make and generally contributes to them being NEETs.
>>
>>3055707
>>3055697

bait
>>
File: faggot face.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
faggot face.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>3055661
because these are the same people who just want to draw anime titties.

>>3056357
quite the contrary actually. nobody wants to hear your thoughts on why you think you deserve free stuff.
>>
>>3055661
So musicians can work full time yet artists can't? What sort of bias is this? If you produce valuable assets for people you are working with, it's not like what you said at all, I don't get this stupidity.

Drawing isn't just about making shitty anime crap.
>>
>>3055649
Well i'm already 2-meals-a-day poor tier, and i want to become an artist.
>>
>>3056421
musicians can't work full time though, music jobs are just as shitty as art
>>
>>3055661
meh, this is just like, youre opinion, dood
>>
>>3055661
You're not a real artist.
>>
File: 1498226684922.jpg (74KB, 439x500px) Image search: [Google]
1498226684922.jpg
74KB, 439x500px
It's pretty easy to make a living when you make art aimed to other people, and not for yourself.

Artists sign up to art for the very opposite reason. To become their own therapists and entertainers.

I mean if dentists only studied to fix their own teeth they would be poor too.

At some point you have to chose. Either become only self centered and pray that people will buy your message or just go full blown illustrator with no voice of your own. The longer you stick in between those two the more you suffer.
>>
Same stuff happened to Hitler
>dirt poor artist wasnt accepted into art school
>ironicaly the art school deen was jewish
>>
File: 1497789164434.png (463KB, 923x887px) Image search: [Google]
1497789164434.png
463KB, 923x887px
>>3056697
That's the problem.
I want to do things I like, but on the other hand I'll never be able to earn money from it if it doesn't follow a trend or a style that people like/want.
>>
File: 31dAaWOs9cL.jpg (15KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
31dAaWOs9cL.jpg
15KB, 329x500px
>>3055649
>>
>>3055649
i'd rather be poor than work a day job. kinda sucks but if there's no money in art there's no money in art, nothing you can do about it, i'm happy getting my $11k a year off it.

but then maybe i'd feel differently if i didn't have a good free place to live (not with my parents lol)
>>
File: 1490310559057.jpg (32KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490310559057.jpg
32KB, 600x600px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
>>
>>3056921

fuck that, I tried to get into welding and that shit was just as soul crushing as any other job but with additional deadly hazards

i'm going to be poor, alone and will be grinding loomis heads until i'm fucking dead
>>
>>3056921
This video makes a good argument but, it just seems worthless to not strive to make your passion a reality in some way. I'd be fine working miserable jobs for shit pay while i build up skills and portfolios so one day i can have a shit pay in something i love doing.
To me the mindset of "become passionate about whatever you're doing" comes off as something someone who isn't passionate about anything would say. Empty and comformist.
>>
>>3056921

>Don't follow my passion in Archaeology and History
>Been drawing along side with the word I had down with it
>Ended up not being able to afford courses and such for Archaeology
>Get part time job in retail to supplement income from small commissions I was doing at the time
>No longer following passion
>Doing art periodically
>Wage slave
>Just wanna die senpai

Kind of a shit vid, just made me wanna die.
>>
>>3056428
think of it as intermittent fasting and you're now a health conscious artist
>>
>>3056887
You do what others want and use the experience to make your project better in the end.
>>
>>3056959
>Empty and comformist.
That's exactly what capitalism wants from you.
Suffering creates sales.
>>
File: IMG_0745.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0745.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>3056921
Meh.
He is kinda right but I don't think I'll stop doing art because right now I suck at it.
Talent or "genes" as he names it is a thing but it only helps at the beginning.
Hard work is what I think and want to believe, what made every artists I like, what they are today.
You need to have more than one string to your bow and it's ok to be an opportunist but the "don't follow your passion" is bullshit.
>>
>>3056921
As with everything in life - there is no definite answer for this. Some people that have no trouble with being empty conformists can take this advice and make the best out of it. But some people (including me) just don't see a reason to live if they don't follow their call. For me "prospering" is not everything, "opportunities" are not always that important. It's all cool being rich and successful but with too much of capitalistic thinking you can go nowhere very easily, while thinking the opposite.

As long as I am allowed to carry on with my vision and dreams, it's all good.
>>
>>3057420
yurp
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.