[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get seen in the art industry? How do you get a job in it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

How do you get seen in the art industry? How do you get a job in it?
>>
Networking, good/decent portfolio, not being a complete autist around other people.
>>
I don't know. But I'll tell you how I got in.

Know lot of other artists and hang out with artists. Then, when a job pops up, you hear it on the grapevine. That's how I've gotten most of my jobs.

Lacking that, a good portfolio and craigslist will do you better than you might expect.
>>
Just draw furry and 2d anime girls and you will make a lot of money
>>
>>3055256
/thread
>>
>>3055257
>>3055256
Shit. How do you get these friends?
>>
>>3055294

Personally? Art School. Going to artist meet-ups. Life-drawing labs (though I honestly don't attend those nearly as much as I ought to).

Living in Los Angeles makes it easier. San Fran and New York are probably good options too.

The first job is always the hardest to get.
>>
what do you do when you don't know a single artist in real life and have no means of joining a social group with artists? also every single person you hang out doesn't know artists/generally dislikes them.
>>
>>3055399
Practice. Practice. Practice.

Then check Craigslists for major cities. L.A. New York, San Fran, Seattle, Austin etc.
>>
>>3055399
I just found out ArtStation exists.
>>
I don't know anyone in LA, how do I even start if I'm brave enough to move out there, I mean I heard it's expensive to live out their and I'd need to get a regular job obviously but even that sounds like something super difficult especially for someone like me who has only ever gotten a job through friends. The amount of effort it takes with finding a job then working feels like it will give zero time to even pursue, personal work, networking, or any of the important stuff you would need to do to get in.

I keep telling myself all I have to do is finish a project that will get people's attention on the Internet and get a name for myself here but that hasn't happened.

It all just seems impossible
>>
>>3055419
i guess i'll hit the hurdle when (or if) i come to it. is there anything i should be doing now in terms of making connections as a very very amateur artist? when should i post things online? after i learn to render?
>>
>>3055483

I wouldn't know. I've never successfully gained any traction online as an artist. My jobs have all come from professional or friend connections or directly applying to available jobs.

I stopped worrying about trying to have a major online presence a while ago. It's more important to have a good portfolio online so potential employers and clients can easily see what you're capable of. Just make sure you curate it so that they're seeing the best of your work. Sketches, WIPs etc can go on a tumblr or whatever.
>>
>>3055294
Not being an autistic around other people.

But really, just connecting online, going to art shows maybe, even simple stuff like meeting up on craigslist
>>
>>3055237
What part of the art industry? That's a pretty vague term, and covers a lot of territory.

In general, these things won't hurt:
A solid portfolio
A solid, well made portfolio website
An online store
Joining competitions
Joining professional societies, like the Illustrator's Guild
Going to events, galleries, and shows.
Contacting art directors in the field you want to work in. Send them a PDF portfolio, a well written cover letter introducing yourself, and your intent. Knowing other artists might help, but the art directors are the ones who will hire you.
Simply asking.

You have to be more specific. What part do you want to work in? Selling your art? Working for a company? Freelance?
>>
File: 11aZUiX22ztyik.gif (989KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
11aZUiX22ztyik.gif
989KB, 500x378px
>>3055306

>Living in Los Angeles

There's a reason we locals call it the city of lost angels
>>
>>3056127

Oh I hate this place, believe me, but I'd rather be some place I hate doing what I like, than some place I like, doing what I hate.

Been considering moving to Atlanta if any good animation related jobs pop up there, but it's almost all live-action related right now.
>>
>>3055479

If you don't want to move out, fly out for the big events. Interested in animation and meeting people? Fly out for the week for CTN in Burbank. You don't have to move, you just need to make an effort.
>>
Currently looking for cost of living and housing in LA as someone not from the US. Fuck LA, how can people live there.
>>
>>3058234
With great difficulty.
>>
>>3055399
mail your portfolio to companies you want to work for
>>
>>3058234
That's why everyone has roommates and an additional illegal roommate living in the living room
>>
>>3058701
But even living with roomate/s seems expensive as fuck from everything I searched, either that or it's a shit hole.
>>
>>3055237
>How do you get seen in the art industry
>Go to art industry
>Say look at me
>>
>>3055294
If you're involved in any fandoms, that can help since you'll share interests with other artists in the fandom.
>>
>>3055237
you have to stop making threads. go work and live life, suffer, suck some cock, get raped, die once..etc live some life experience.

it's all about communication. notice how the worst artists are the wealthiest? My point im trying to make.
>>
>>3058877

angel dubs never lie.
>>
I had an opportunity to pursue work in the industry, but I went the STEM path and plan on getting my Bachelor's in Computer Science around 2020. I gotta say it makes art a lot more enjoyable for me. But I guess that's because I draw for me first, and for others' entertainment second.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.