[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I start a comic? I really want to but I have

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: procrastination.jpg (28KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
procrastination.jpg
28KB, 720x540px
How the fuck do I start a comic?
I really want to but I have no ideas in my mind, just feelings I can't express through words or concrete imagery.
But whenever I read a good comic or manga I'm like "I understand what emotions the person who made this is trying to express and can relate these emotions, thoughts and philisofies, and think that this medium is the best one to use and express the things are needed to express."
Ugggghhhhhhhhh
>>
>philisofies
im dying anon

>I have no ideas in my mind, just feelings I can't express through words or concrete imagery.

you're talking about an inability to think up or articulate a story, that's not an art problem, more a writing problem

you could make weird abstract comics i guess. like some of moebius's stuff

although, do a 6-7 page practise comic from a scene of your favourite book or play or whatever, so you learn how to actually draw comics
>>
>>3054855
Sounds cool.
Also I agree that it's a writing problem. But /lit/ seems shit as fuck, first page and there's three pepe posts. And I would guess no one on /lit/ even writes. So where would I even go to learn how to write?
>>
>>3054845
I know how to write and I have a shitload of ideias, you dead right about /lit/ tho, they just shitpost for most of the time
Quick good tip is the kaizen method, break everything into baby steps, instead of thinking about going hard on those pages ask yourself
>What kind of story I wanna to write? ( comedy, drama, romance... )
>What style do I want? (Linear story telling, first person, just situational characters without much development, short stories...)
>What is the plot of my story? What drives the characters? Where its gonna be?
>>
>>3054845
If it doesn't come naturally to you, maybe try a different field? Fine arts, single panel comics, short comic strips, illustrations.

Most of the time the things you "dream" of doing aren't actually your interests. Do what comes naturally, make money doing that, then when you have money do what you dream of doing. I want to be a rapper and an illustrator, but that's just a dream, I can make more money doing fine arts so that's what I spend most of my time doing.
>>
1. write an outline
2. conceptualize your characters
2. write a secondary outline that begins to describe scenes in detail
3. write a script
4. conceptualize your setting, make it cohesive
5. design and finalize your characters
6. begin paneling your rough draft from start to finish
7. revise your drafts
8. revise your drafts
9. Just screams
10. revise your drafts
11. finalize your stuff and self-publish on amazon for minimal profit
12. go on a ketamine bender
>>
>>3054873
Yeah but how am I supposed to come up with a character or plot without it being pretentious, ironically bad or not engaging or fun to make
>>
>>3054878
I agree, but the thing's that come naturally to me and that I'm good at, like fine drawing, don't feel as artistically meaningful as a comic. I just feel like I won't be as fulfilled making a living through fine art and probably won't be able to inspire people as much (which is one of my goals.)
>>
>philosofies
why is it always the kids?
>>
>>3054879
That's obvious. I'm looking for how to dig deep in to my soul and scoop out some creative ectoplasm to use as ink.
>>
>>3054893
I thought that this post would get no replies and that all I write had no purpose other than to bring me deeper in to the void of playing minecraft and trolling all those gay bitches who think I can't find them in they're shit ty undergroud houses .I mean i ghave mods bro, like thuink a little.
>>
>>3054865
nobody draws on /ic either, i see no problem there
>>
>>3054906
What a retard, kill yourself
>>
>>93763842
>>
>>3054865
actually, lots of people on /lit/ write. some of em are good too. there are critique threads and stuff. i wonder how many professionals there are...
anyway, i'm trying to learn to write and make stories too. it's difficult. i'm doing it for different reasons but you can think of it the same way: plot as structure for another art thing.
i keep a journal. i write my thoughts in a word document every day.
i have another document for writing practice. at first, when writing a plot, trying to transfer the abstract feelings to solid words and events, i'd get stuck very easily. it felt rigid. i found it very hard to think naturally about expression when viewing it through the lens of "i'm writing a plot. there's gotta be a series of events, conflict, rising action, climax, etc..."
on the other hand, i can easily write over 3 pages a day in my journal.
so, i tried to merge journal and plot in the writing process:
when writing a plot, i didn't just try to write a plot, i wrote out all my thoughts on the plot, and tried to make it as natural and flexible an experience as possible. pondering a story, the characters, the events, the feeling i want, writing out all the thoughts about it that came to my head, without hesitation. because that's how i write in my journal. that helped me get unstuck.
my plan was that i'd "free-write" in this way, then afterward summarize what i wrote, from memory... but that's as far as i am, no clue if this is a good idea yet.
>>
>>3054912
Nah.
>>
>>3054881
Experience, you will suck at first but its natural

Drop the pride, you have team of people who are paid to write and they still write garbage, who cares if your first work is self-insert masturbation, what matters is the experience you will milk out it
>>
>>3054925
Cool. I'll definitely try keeping a journal from now on.
I have a question. What are these abstract feelings and how do they relate to the plot? Are these feeling things you've had for a longer time or something that you had to force out or create to make a story? And are these feelings the main message, or atmosphere, or what? What part of the story do these feelings go in to?
>>
>>3054944
Yeah, I guess. It's just that if it's a comic, then I have to put work in to it, and for what in the end. If it's self-insert masturbation then I won't put all the effort in to it I can, and in the end I'll still just be procrastinating.
>>
>>3054845
I feel you OP. The worst part for me is when I actually do come up with a simple story only to realize a day later it's absolute shit. The thing about drawing comics is that it's so much work, I just can't motivate myself to actually finish even a short story unless I really am happy with it, which has never happened so far.
>>
I draw comics because I can't write
Just draw
>>
>>3054945
for me, the atmosphere, the message, the feelings, can kind of all become the same thing. i'm trying to find out what "the message" really is in a story, it's hard to tell...
i started writing in my journal because i was trying to analyze the atmosphere of a game. i wrote my thoughts and observations and actually started to get somewhere in defining it. it becomes easier to think when you pull your thoughts out and put them in front of you in writing. that's what i learned from writing about atmosphere.
i was trying to pin down a certain atmosphere once, like i do, and i ended up calling the atmosphere the "spirit of the night". then i had an idea of making that feeling an actual element in a story, as not only referring to the atmosphere of the story, but also to the driving force behind the events in the story. the "spirit of the night" was a force that the characters in the story pondered and felt themselves. they were members of a secret society within which the "spirit" had a sort of religious significance. so in that way, the feeling, message, atmosphere, became the same.
the feelings were never forced out, just something i wanted to examine, or wished i could give to someone else, basically.
unfortunately i didn't get very far in that (but hope to make it into something some day), i'm still a writing novice, so i'm just feeling my way around...
>>
Thanks anon. I'm looking forward to what you may create in the future, even if I have no idea it is you.
You're cool. If I wasn't an asocial 4chan browsing retard who thinks keeping relationships is too difficult and would probably just regret to have one, I would ask you to be my friend.
>>
>>3054994
oh shit i forgot to do the >>3054984 thing. Man am I fucking shit up. I suck at 4chan
>>
>>3054994
>If I wasn't an asocial 4chan browsing retard who thinks keeping relationships is too difficult and would probably just regret to have one, I would ask you to be my friend.
haha, me too anon, me too. thanks.
>>
>>3054845
>philisofies

> From the Greek name Philippos which means "horse fucker", composed of the elements philos "lover" and hippos "horse".
> Sophies is derived from some greco-celtic trinity of Godddesses related to horses, the Sophies. The name has been in common use in England since the 17th century.
> Philisophiers and their weird practices were banned by the Church but their cult continued on /mlp/.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.