[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

at what level is it proper to start calling yourself an artist?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: Kangaroo_and_joey03.jpg (646KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Kangaroo_and_joey03.jpg
646KB, 1067x1600px
at what level is it proper to start calling yourself an artist?
>>
When you want to
>>
>>3054475
When you can make money by selling your shit
>>
im twenty five. i finally started selling my paintings in march of this year. and they sell just fine. it's been nice. i finish a painting and nine times out of ten someone buys it.

i'd say you can call yourself an artist when you get some goddamn cash coming your way/when you get people asking you for commissions.

until then yer practicing a hobby.
>>
>>3054526
not taunting, but can you post your stuff? I am curious what art good enough to sell looks like
>>
>>3054542
Not him, but I sold this for 240 dollars at a gallery.

Also, what's up with this stupid question? If you make art you're an artist. If you don't then you aren't.
>>
>>3054566
240?! how big was the piece?
>>
>>3054566
May I ask how you get accepted by a gallery? Did you email or go in person?
>>
>>3054566
>If you make art you're an artist. If you don't then you aren't.
Here's the answer. Why is this a thread?
>>
>>3054475
You can call yourself an artist when ever and for any reason just dont think it will make your farts smell any better.
>>3054480
That would be the definition of a "professional" artist.
>>
>>3054785
Calling yourself an artist implies that it's your profession. If it's not your profession then you just sound like a cunt.

I can play guitar well, but I'm not a musician.

I can draw and paint well, but I'm not an artist.
>>
File: blue.jpg (170KB, 633x960px) Image search: [Google]
blue.jpg
170KB, 633x960px
>>3054542
sure - this one went for two hundred.
>>
>>3054566
>>3054835
How the fuck do these sell?
>>
File: prints.jpg (107KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
prints.jpg
107KB, 960x720px
>>3054843
i dunno myself - i sold one and that shit spiraled out from there. word of mouth. helps that i have my own style - see these prints.
>>
File: image.jpg (201KB, 1536x1292px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201KB, 1536x1292px
>>3054801
>I can paint and draw well, but I'm not an artist.

??????

yes you are, faggot
>>
When you draw everyday....
Or feel bad that you aren't drawing every day.
>>
>>3054849
Interesting. Do you have other pictures of your work that has sold?
>>
>>3054475
When you can impress normies.
>>
>>3054852
i remember back in school - the thing about art is there's a massive ego problem involved because the ego has to recognize that it's good before the one practices and improves. and some people get caught in the inflation that comes with it.

they share everything - they hold their chin up - they brag and tell other people that it's their craft, their hobby - their life

when all it really is is an accessory meant to prop up an otherwise uninteresting individual.

i think that's the difference between an ''artist'' and an artist.

there's some self awareness. there's a burning in the gut that makes the artist create. when the day is done i'm going to paint, not because i want to but because i have to. at the end of the day - no matter what - i will paint. and i've been doing it so long that i'm good. i know i'm good. people know i'm good.

you gotta put your time in, develop a goddamn style, you gotta get good, get original, figure out who you are, what you want - there's a line between an ''artist'' and an artist.
>>
File: spiral.jpg (61KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
spiral.jpg
61KB, 720x960px
>>3054856

sure
this one's in florida
>>
>>3054835
>>3054849
>>3054866
Thanks for posting.
You've made it in my book.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.