[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I paint better?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: painting study chapstick.jpg (3MB, 6000x6000px) Image search: [Google]
painting study chapstick.jpg
3MB, 6000x6000px
how do I paint better?
>>
>>3052566
SCALE YOUR FUCKING IMAGE YOU FUCKING FAGGOITY FUUUUCK
in case you were proud of your turd
IT'S FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>3052581
My fucking sides kek
>>
File: Desk_Job_by_algenpfleger.jpg (306KB, 1200x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Desk_Job_by_algenpfleger.jpg
306KB, 1200x1040px
Keep on painting

Paint everyday

Pay attention to reality when you do your still lives, there are so many subtle things that you can find if you look hard enough
>the subtle changes in colour as you get further from the lightsource
>the subtle reflection on a smooth surface
>the change in temperature of a shadow
>the colour of another object glowing and being reflected in a nearby object
>the way objects further away get closer and closer to the colour of the atmosphere

Paint everyday, read books like 'Color and Light by James Gurney', 'The Student's Guide to Painting by Jack Fragasso', 'How to Render by Scott Robertson' and 'Alla Prima by Richard Schmid', they talk alot about the subtle traits of realism. Most importantly you have to paint alot to get used to it, practice makes perfect
>>
>>3052633
wow he sure half assed the bottom half of this painting
>>
>>3052634
It couldn't possibly be a comparison or WIP
>>
>>3052633
Thanks man ill do that
>>
File: 1433043600313.jpg (100KB, 797x720px) Image search: [Google]
1433043600313.jpg
100KB, 797x720px
>>3052581
/ic/ has gotten so feisty fucking kek
>>
>>3052566
there's basically two steps, do copies of master paintings, and do still lifes, and not cool still lifes where you're creative and modern, boring ones, with accurate values and colors.

and do some fun stuff so you don't get bored, but painting is rewarding on it's own without the picture being very interesting, just like woodwork or cooking or whatever else.

also a few don'ts, don't spend all your time painting 'from reference' aka copying photos of pretty girls, and don't read a million books on the subject instead of actually painting
>>
>>3052566
i don't know why i never hear anyone say this; really learn the software you're using. go in all the menus and look at all the tools, learn what masks are, learn how to use gradients and adjustment layers, make your own brushes and really operate whatever software you use.

generally everyone will tell you that you just need more gumption and practice, and that's true and good, but with full knowledge of everything your drawing software can do you can turn your turd into a special turd.

>>3052900
this is basically a special turd and what you (yes you) could probably do in a couple weeks after /actually/ learning photoshop or krita or whatever you use.

shadman's drawing here is super simple, uses simple and stylized perspective, and is actually riddled with errors, but it looks presentable and commercial because he knows how to use photoshop procedurally to polish his stuff right.

you could do that entire chapstick tube over procedurally in about 30 minutes or less and it would look so much better. no one will get off your ass about this until you figure this out.
>>
>>3052997
that is weird, you're right, i'm 100% that they teach you how to use the software before anything in like a bachelor of creative industries degree
>>
>>3052997
>procedurally

What, like using clipping masks, going from sketch to flats to full colour with individual bits and pieces in separate layers?

>>3052566
OP if you're going the illustrator route do learn your software, save yourself the headache. But from a fundies standpoint, start with values and proportion. Always use references holy shit stop KJG-ing when you're /beg/ tier. Stop symbol drawing - look at the fucking subject and copy it even if you don't think eyeballs actually look like that. Do Bargues or just 1:1 copies of good lit reference photos or irl still lives. Master copies of Sargent, Repin or Bourgboo is probably too advanced cause you'd fuck up with the edges or get lost in the halftones.

Start with Bargues and lit eggs. Get used to rendering for 3-6 hours with the hard round.
>>
>>3052634
Thats what reminds you its a painting. Otherwise it would look just like a photo and thats lame. Are you one of those with the old school of thought that the artist's hand should be hidden in paintings and everything rendered to death? I like paintings where some areas are given more attention than others
>>
>>3052566
learn values first, color (much) later
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.