/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art supply thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

File: KIMG0399.jpg (250KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0399.jpg
250KB, 1080x1920px
Here my 2cents on erasers.
Im reviewing exactly 2 brands:
-Prismacolor Magic rub
-Sakura Foam

Heres a before image with sakura foam
>>
File: KIMG0400.jpg (210KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0400.jpg
210KB, 1080x1920px
now after.
It did Excellent. No smudges at all...
>>
File: KIMG0401.jpg (226KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0401.jpg
226KB, 1080x1920px
Now its Magic Rubs turn
>>
File: KIMG0402.jpg (278KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0402.jpg
278KB, 1080x1920px
It did not do well.
Final verdict pass or ass
Sakura Foam is a pass.
Magic rub is absolute ass and definitely not a buy
>>
bump za dusto
>>
I worked hard on this thread so id appreciate it if it survived a few days
>>
please learn how to draw a skull
>>
>>3053212

Its just a half assed anime face to compare the quality of the erasers you clown.
You know nothing of my true power...
>>
Improve your linework ASAP.
Stop drawing anime, learn the fundamentals.
Stop using erasers all together for now, if a drawing is shit, start over.
>>
>>3053295
Im not taking advice from someone that probably draws like a 5year old.
>>
>make a thread reviewing erasers
> kids go ham sandwich on some doodle you put no effort into to demonstrate
Shouldn't you babies be shitposting in your little discord servers?
>>
My biggest concern is that I'm learning how to draw animu, and I don't want my work as cringe as OP.

How can this be avoided?
>>
>>3053323
You can start by kys and stop samfagging in my thread you little shit
>>
>>3053305
bait
>>
Looks like user error to me. Maybe learn a little something about vinyl erasers before you assume they are in any way intended to eraser heavy lines on coarse paper.
>>
>>3053309
b-but I have to let everyone know im a-above them somehow!!
>>
File: 32597.jpg (40KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
32597.jpg
40KB, 600x400px
Not OP but I use pentel ain blacks. Anyone know of anything better/less expensive?
>>
>not using Staedlter
Fucking scrub.
>>
File: 00013974-1.jpg (50KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
00013974-1.jpg
50KB, 1000x1000px
>>3053528
>not using Tombow Mono
NGMI
>>
File: 1493956114079.png (319KB, 515x542px) Image search: [Google]
1493956114079.png
319KB, 515x542px
>>3053542
>no-no
>>
>>3053463
the Magic Rub couldnt even handle light marks on 2 different paper types.
It sucks
>>
>>3053550
Maybe it does, I'd just sooner bet that you're retarded.
>>
>>3053556
Im 100% certain im smarter than you fuckboy
>>
just steal your erasers from art stores
>>
>>3053560
>stealing erasers
Just get a job you fucking faggot
>>
File: opera_2017-07-09_22-56-18.png (112KB, 1540x449px) Image search: [Google]
opera_2017-07-09_22-56-18.png
112KB, 1540x449px
Good, an art supply thread.
Are these good for beggining watercolor ?
Should I spend more ? Less ?
(the paper block has 40 sheets)
>>
>>3052159
I use cheap pink erasers, that I cut with an Exacto for sharp edges and shapes, or kneadable erasers. Everything else is just marketing, they work just as well as all the others.
>>
>>3052175
Smudges are good though
>>
Neat.

Last week I ordered about $90 worth of shit online.

This is what I bought:

>10x Copic Sketch markers
>3x Copic Various refills
>1x Pentel Pigment Brush, Extra Fine
>1x Pigment Brush Refill
>1x Zebra brush pen, Super Fine
>5x Zebra brush pen, Fine
>5x Pilot drawing pens
>1x Zebra Jim-Knock pen, .07
>1x Zebra Surari pen, .03

The Copics bring me up to 24 colors, plus five greys. I paid about $3.70 per marker and $4.25 per refill.

I've got a Kuretake brush and I like it but I want to try something sharper for fine details. Paid around $4.50 for the pen and $2.25 for the refill.

I've used the Zebra brush pens for years and needed to stock up. Paid about $2.20 each, a little less than the rate on Jetpens.

Got the spread of Pilot fineliners from 01 to 08. Paid about $1.70 each, shipped. I could have got a set of Microns at Michaels for the same price but I wanted to see how these compare to Pitts. If they're good I'll put in a bigger order which will make them cheaper.

The Zebra ballpoints were pretty cheap. The Jim-Knock is basically a retractable version of the Jimney that Scott Robertson is all over, and the Surari is supposedly a hybrid pen like a Hi-Tec C. I paid a little over $3 for the pair. Refills will be dirt cheap.

The only bummer is this shits going to take a month to get here and I'm going on vacation so I won't get to use it until I get back.
>>
>>3053674

This is 100% bullshit. I've got an old Staedtler white latex eraser and some no-name brand ones. The no-names aren't even worth using, they work about half as efficiently as the Staedtler.
>>
>>3052159
I like the pentel eraser. Even my classmates like them so much they dont return it
>>
>>3053757
what paper do you use with the copics? i have one of the copic sketchbooks, and it seems to bleed pretty easily.
>>
>>3053242
show us your true power level
>>
>>3053802

For sketching I just use an Artists Loft sketchbook. For finished work I use bristol board.
>>
how can you not be using a kneaded eraser
>>
>>3053757
Are Copics worth it? I hear nothing but good about them, but they seem a bit expensive.
>>
>>3053674
No they dont.
If you actually believe there is no difference in quality among eraser brands then you are hilariously misinformed.
>>
I did a couple of those Jinhao x750 nib mods with a titanium G Nib a back in early April, and they are now only starting to corrode (feed's still "ok" too). Has anyone tried these with normal/chrome G Nibs? Most places I've read up on say they'll only last up to maybe two months at the most, but I'm curious if anons here had different experiences with that shit.
>>
>>3053188
you should work harder on learning how to draw
>>
File: kneaded-erasers.jpg (57KB, 720x360px) Image search: [Google]
kneaded-erasers.jpg
57KB, 720x360px
Your thread sucks balls op. See pic related for the best eraser for graphite.
>>
>>3055077
Thanks for the bump little man
>>
>>3055093
love stealing these from my art store
>>
>>3055093
The only reason why I don't carry kneaded erasers in my sketch bag is that once they're a bit used up they start making a mess. I tried wrapping them in cloth but they always end up leaving shitty residue around and it's annoying.

Now I use dust-free erasers from Faber-Castell and they're great. I don't really need to pick up graphite or do other effects you can do with a kneaded eraser so that's just better for me.
>>
File: 61quf9232xL._SL1000_.jpg (75KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61quf9232xL._SL1000_.jpg
75KB, 1000x1000px
If you haven't tried Mitsubishi Uni Graphite pencils (normal or hi-uni version) then you haven't lived
>>
>>3053657
That's no good, you have to spend a bit on quality supplies.
You should buy a limited palette of artist's grade watercolors (not Cotman), something like this:

Yellow Ochre
Pyrrol Red (called Winsor Red in W&N)
Burnt Umber
Ultramarine
Titanium White (buy a gouache tube instead of watercolor)

Get good watercolor paper, it's the #1 thing you can't skimp on. I also recommend buying heavier weight like 300 gsm because it won't buckle without stretching (as long as you tape it down with masking tape).

Brushes are not as critical, get the synthetic line from a reputable brand (davinci, raphael, W&N, you name it) and you should be OK. You only need a couple sizes, NO MORE. Get a big brush and a small brush, and nothing smaller than size 8 in any case. Something like a 3/4 inch flat, a 1/4 inch flat and a rigger will do.
>>
>>3054522

"Worth it" is something only you can decide. I can only tell you why I'm into them.

Copics are refillable and the nibs are replaceable. That's the big thing, because in the long run is makes them much more economical than a disposable. It also means you can control the ink level of a marker. With a disposable it starts out juicy and gradually dies until you have to throw it away. With a Copic you can keep topping it off so your marker always works like brand new. It's also much more convenient to have a bottle of refill ink on hand than to have to run to the store to buy another marker because yours is dead.

But there are other brands who boast the same feature. The difference is Copic is a very stable brand. They've been around for thirty years and they're in every art store in America. In ten years odds are that if I need to I can still walk into an art supply store and grab a couple markers, some ink and some nibs.

Copics also have the widest selection of colors, with 358. I believe the next larger palette is Prisma's, which only has 200 colors. Since you can't easily blend markers a large pool of colors is vital.

Copics are the highest quality product on the market. They have the best brush nib, hands down. None of their competitors have a brush nib as long, flexible, durable and/or smooth as Copic's. And the color cap is very accurate, which seems like a small thing but when you're staring at 360 markers it helps to know what you're getting on sight.

Now, what I could have done is bought Copic Ciaos, and then bought the missing colors as Sketches. But I didn't want to do that for a few reasons. 1) Ciaos hold less ink so they dry out quicker. 2) They don't have the code on the cap which is very inconvenient. 3) They don't work with the airbrush system. I didn't want my markers to have any limits so I bought the premium models.

To me they're worth it. The convenience trumps the price. YMMV.
>>
>>3054522
>>3055729

Oh, and as you can see I got a really good price on my markers. I saved about $1.50 each versus buying them at Blick or Oozak. This is because I bought them from Japan. In Japan they're distributed by the manufacturer. In North America they're distributed by Imagination International, who imports them and imposes a floor of $5.24 on prices (although Oozak sometimes has secret sales that go below that price). Ordering from Japan cuts out the middleman, and even with the cost of shipping they're much cheaper and the savings add up.
>>
>>3055729
>>3055729
thank you anon, will definitely pick up a set, the only problem is that I am not sure if they carry them where I live, so I might have to buy them online.
>>
>>3055747

Where do you live?
>>
>>3055748
Korea
>>
>>3055752

Order them from Japan.

I don't know if you're aware, but a very popular alternative to Copics is the Shinhan Twin Touch, which is a Korean brand. They have many of the same features. You might be able to find them much cheaper than Copics, although consensus is they aren't as nice.
>>
>>3052159
Just use a kneaded eraser like a normal human bean.
>>
>>3055767
Will do. Thank you for the advice.
>>
>>3055573
what's the difference between uni and hi uni?
>>
>>3055093
Kneaded erasers smell so nice but I have gone digital. No more autistically erasing everything and wasting thousands of dollars of supplies on an artwork I can't take anywhere.
>>
>>3055848
I actually don't know. I've only ever used the Uni's and they're the best pencils I've used, but I keep reading fantastic reviews of the hi-uni's as well so I gotta order them at some point.

hi-uni's seem to be more widely marketed and accessible so maybe they're just a newer version of the Uni's?
>>
>>3055883
>>3055848
google translating the products japanese site the only difference they list there is the design. everything else is the same.
>>
>>3055566
Only a nigger would steal something as cheap as an eraser.
Get a job Tyrone.
>>
File: IMG_0595.jpg (349KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0595.jpg
349KB, 1000x750px
I bought some Daiso $1.50 nylon round brushes. Pretty good. Wish the bristles weren't white though. If I see the flat ones, might buy em. I let someone borrow my brushes and they fucked them all up, so I gotta replace em.

Slight tip: Inspect the brushes carefully before buying. I noticed some of plastic protector tubes put on the brushes were bending some of the outer bristles.
>>
While I was at Daiso, I also got a paint palette ($1.50) and some watercolor paint tubes ($1.50).

I'm not familiar with using different watercolor brands, so I can't say much about the quality other than it works as expected.

The paint palette is also pretty good with many wells in big-ish in size for the price. Comparable palettes at other stores at least 3 times the price.
>>
>>3061090
You're using way too much paint. You should squeeze out a dime-sized blob at the most, and mix with water to a milk-like consistency. Now all that paint is going to dry out. It won't be ruined, but it won't be the same - a lot of paints get very granular when they get dried out and rewetted.

The wells are for mixing washes. The flat part is where you squeeze out the small blobs. That way, if you contaminate a color while mixing, like yellows, which contaminate, then only the blob is effected - you're one bump against the palette, if you start loading it up with water, from contaminating ALL of that paint.

I've been watercoloring for over 30 years. I've never needed more than a quarter-sized blob, and that was for huge washes on 2'x3' paper.

Get a bottle of gum of arabic, you're going to need it, when all that paint dries out.
>>
>>3061212

Lol that photo dates back to 2015.
>>
>>3053550
Mine works just fine. But then again I'm not retarded and I posses fine motor skills..
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.