[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often should you make a "finished piece"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: ruan-jia-guild-wars-2-4.jpg (214KB, 1920x1031px) Image search: [Google]
ruan-jia-guild-wars-2-4.jpg
214KB, 1920x1031px
Once a week? Once a month? Once a day?

I heard from certain artists that beginners shouldn't even bother making finished pieces at all! Thoughts
>>
Recently it's been once a week. They're all garbage.
>>
>>3051503
>I heard from certain artists that beginners shouldn't even bother making finished pieces at all! Thoughts

I actually agree with this 100% finished pieces are a bunch of paintings
and problems combined into one image.

it's like if you're trying to make a comic or something and you realize none of the shit you've been learning prepares you for something oddly specific.
>>
Disagree. There are certain things you only learn if you attempt to make a finished piece. Don't spend months on them, but do make an effort at finishing your stuff. It's a good foundational habit to form from the start.
>>
>>3051503
>beginners shouldn't even bother making finished pieces at all

I agree with that. "Finishing" a piece implies deep refining and polish, but those are typically a waste of time if the base is flawed. I think it's best to take a piece to a level where either: a) you won't learn anything new from continuing; or b) the flaws are so drastic or foundational to the piece that it's better to start over from scratch or move on noting what went wrong and how to avoid it.

All that said, there does reach a point where you do need to focus on finishing a piece, even correcting and restarting it as needed and bring it to a final polish. Bringing everything together in the end is a skill in and of itself. It's more important to lay down a solid foundation, but if you never finish anything you won't know how to turn your pile of "potentially good paintings" into "good paintings". Beginners inherently can't produce any "potentially good paintings", so the refinement stage doesn't make sense.
>>
>>3051503
basically none that aren't for work, i think when you do a piece just for yourself that you can lose steam once you've met your goals, learning something, working out design stuff, capturing your subject etc.

perhaps a blog or something would help with that, when i post a 'wip' that i'm not really going to finish online somewhere, i sometimes work on it for quite a while just polishing off the rough edges, or the rough edges that aren't pretty lol, afterall still has to be a wip.
>>
I only used to work on finishing things when I was bored practicing anatomy, perspective, or other basic shit. Rendering is fun once it's all there in the sketch. If you get to that stage and are struggling you need to learn how to draw more than paint or whatever.
>>
>>3051503
A piece is "finished piece" when you stop working on it. So anything I won't touch anymore is finished.
>>
Finish your fucking pieces lol
>>
>>3051503
Certain artists are fucking stupid.
>>
>>3051503
Never speak to those artists again.
>>
>>3051503
>>3051513

I've heard both the argument against making finished pieces AND an argument against exclusively doing studies

Some might say that grinding the fundies is more important the mileage gained in putting them altogether cohesively

But would you agree with that?
>>
It's important to know your shit, but being able to apply all of what you know about the fundamentals into a proportionally correct, finished piece with accurate perspective, color agreement and rendering is an art in and of itself

You can be a master of drawing hands and heads in different positions individually, but if you're not used to drawing them on the same person in a dynamic pose thay makes sense, your studies will be for naught (unless all you want to do is be the best at drawing floating heads and hands)

You don't just have to build up your skills, but the very skill of using your skills to finish a picture
>>
>>3051513
I disagree strongly, if you don't do "finished pieces" you will never know where you need to improve .
>>
Being able to finish a piece is the most important skill there is, without it all other skills are worthless
>>
I agree with the anons that say finishing pieces is important. If you never finish anything you will always stay a beginner. Spending all your time grinding basic fundamentals will lead to stagnation if you never challenge yourself and actually finish something.

Also, people that don't do finish pieces often lose motivation quickly because they never see the fruits of their labor. So just draw, draw what you want, when you want to draw it. If you keep doing your art studies along the way, you will improve.
>>
>>3051503

Don't think so much about "shoulds"

Turd polishing is often a waste of time but few things are as challenging and rewarding artwise as producing a finished painting. How that process transpires can be as crazy as you want to, plenty of artists will rework a piece from the ground up several times until it works

What's imperative is not to get bogged down in stiffness. Sketching regularly and keeping loose is key
>>
>>3051503

Nothing will test your resolve and break your ego down more than spending hours on finishing a piece and having it be complete shit

Not everybody has the strength of will to keep on working at improvement after they've poured the extent of their skills into a piece and faced that fact that it's no good

Sticking to nothing but grinding fundamentals is useful in a way, but it's only foreplay. Do it too much and it becomes a form of hiding. You need to stare your mediocrity right in face, embrace the fact that you've spent hours polishing a piece of shit, and have the balls to do it all over again from zero
>>
>>3051503

The most important fundamental skill is knowing how to put the fundamental skills together correctly. How good you are at drawing hands needs to be linked to how convincingly you can draw an arm, and the shoulder, and the angle of the neck, and the torso, the body and the environment. Each fundamental skill has an infinite depth for refinement, but the downside of that is that you can get lost in polishing them forever and stagnate in your ability to make finished work.

Doing nothing but studies is just procrastination disguised as productivity. You're trying to protect your fragile ego from the reality of what your true skill level currently is. Education is useless without application.
>>
>>3051503
Yes beginners as in people drawing for their first month who can't even make a straight line or revolve basic 3d shapes. If you are past that point then you should make them.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.