[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Painting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_nz0q9fYmKW1rmvmmfo1_1280.jpg (440KB, 1280x1491px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz0q9fYmKW1rmvmmfo1_1280.jpg
440KB, 1280x1491px
how paint with gouache ?
>>
>>3051474
http://www.newmastersacademy.org/introduction-sketchbook-techniques-materials-5/
>>
>>3051474
don't, it's a stupid medium that people only use because nostalgia. it's no better then tempera paint (the kind you do finger painting with in preschool)
>>
>>3051485
Hey can I ask you- why is gouache unpopular? When I google the question, there's no answer.

It seems easier to blend than acrylic, easier to control than watercolor, and less chemically than oil paints with solvents.

Is it too expensive? Does it not age well? Something else? I'm really curious.
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q56uJynCIEs
Using Gouache by John Muir Laws
>>
>>3051768
The darks dry lighter and the lights dry lighter so its very hard to set up a value structure
>>
>>3051474
I start off with a very light wash. Then I use the tiling method to achieve the best effect, which is a skill you can also transfer to oil painting and digital.
Basically watch how gurney uses it and those watts gouache livestreams.
>>3051793
Yes it's literally impossible to mix your lights lighter and darks darker
>>
File: tumblr_okrffuhGEJ1rpjuq0o1_1280.jpg (511KB, 1280x1766px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_okrffuhGEJ1rpjuq0o1_1280.jpg
511KB, 1280x1766px
>>3051485
Don't blame the paint for your lack of painting skill
Gouache is just as convenient as watercolor and more forgiving.
Tempera paint is very different from gouache. Gouache can be rewetted, adding to it's portability.

>>3051768
Gouache is just hard to use. It is very difficult to blend, so people usually paint in blocks of colors.
>>
>>3051768
gouache isn't unpopular.... now a days since digital media is more popular/easier to use, its the preferred medium. Gouache is used a lot if you're in an a "illustration" path of art school.
>>
>>3051485
Are you trolling? Or just ignorant? Guache is a legit medium, it's an opaque form of watercolors. It's primarily used for commercial art that's going to be photographed, because it's more opaque and the flash won't make the laters translucent, an issue watercolors and some acrylic paints have. (White acrylic is transparent with a flash).
It's also used for full color work when you don't have the time for oils to dry.
But you keep thinking you know things.
>>
>>3053004
Most concept art that isn't digital is usually guache.
>>
>>3051922
>Yes it's literally impossible to mix your lights lighter and darks darker

I don't think that's what he's saying - some colors will shift value and/or hue as it dries, so it's hard sometimes to maintain colors between multiple sessions. I used guache for all of my illustration classes, and professionally for about a decade after I graduated. I know it pretty well - if I had large areas to cover, especially a flat background, i'd do it in one session to avoid that. (that's when the airbrush came into my life.) It's one of the mare challenging aspects of the medium. Like someone else said, blending is an issue starting out, too - but it's something I grew to love, I could go back in and work and blend colors later on. You could also work on bristol or illustration board.
The only thing I hated about it was how delicate it was - one good scrape could destroy a painting, and sneezing could ruin one, too. My teacher taught us to add proplyene glycol to it, to make the dried layers less brittle.
If you want to work opaque, with the subtley of oil, and the detail level of acrylic, guache is the way to go. Look at any commercial art of the last decade, and a lot of it will have been done in guache, including the great movie posters and album covers and book covers.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.