[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ctrl+C

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: bee-jerk-150x150.jpg (5KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
bee-jerk-150x150.jpg
5KB, 150x150px
Any opinions on learning via copying other artists? Is it a decent way to practice, or is there a problem with it?

I keep learning fundamentals, and I'm thinking about mostly copying everyday as a practice (gesture and sketches as well), is it a good way to learn well?
>>
I want to hear answers on this too. I hear people say it's the best way to go, but then I see artists with amazing skill who say they never copied anything, they just obsered and drew from imagination later.
>>
>>3050955
Also, as someone who hates doing studies, the latter really appeals to me.
>>
>>3050944
YES EVERYONE DOES MASTER STUDIES
>>
>>3050956
Same here.

For some reason books don't work for me, and copying pictures is too boring, doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere with it
>>
>>3050944
Yeah just trace their shit out and then draw from imagination using what you've learned, big gains with very little thinking involved.
Kills your soul a little bit though.
>>
Its only a problem when you pass it off as your own original work.
>>3050956
Do some reverse engineering in your head instead? I try to deconstruct other people's works all the time in my head and later sometimes it just reflects in my works subconsciously.
>>
Tracing is alright to learn where the difference in your line making differs.

I myself prefer to copy much better artists to get a better sense of their design language. Things like common shapes and common methods start appearing.
>>
I don't know where to begin, and sometimes I feel differences in medium are a large gap. I don't have a tablet so I only work on paper with no color, so I wager I wouldn't be able to learn much from a finished colored piece done on Sai, right?
>>
>>3050963
>>3050975

OP here, by copying I meant drawing their drawing, constructing their stuff on my own rather than tracing.

That said, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>3050944
>>3050955
>>3050956
>>3050960
>>3050963
lazy faggots that are never going to be really good. grats, retards,
>>
>>3051001
Show us your work, tell us how you practiced, prove that you're not just some insecure waste of breath who sucks at art.
>>
>>3051001
Yeah, not like you. You're gonna be fucking awesome dude, upvoted.
>>
>>3050955
like sycra?
>>
Sometime ago, I found this artist I really liked and I went through a phase were I did nothing but try to draw like him and study his drawings. I learned a lot from that, like what makes the way he draws faces so appealing, how he goes about picking colors, etc. and I was able to apply that knowledge to my own work once I started drawing normally again. So I say go for it as long as you aren't tracing their art or just mindlessly copying it without thinking hard about what makes the artist you're studying good.
>>
>>3051058
Ha, no.
>>
>>3051074
This, I've been so concerned with making stuff look realistic and correct that I never really concidered the fact that a lot of the stuff I really like is mostly cartoony cutesy stylised stuff, now I've been trying to learn the "symbols" that others artist use and combining them with the knowledge I've gattered in rendering
>>
>>3051001
kr0npr1nz was a tracing faggot for a while until he eventually stopped due to people calling him out for it.
>>
>>3050944
>>3050955

the Renaissance artists did it, especially if they worked as an understudy/ apprentice.

I see nothing wrong with copying other artists if it motivates you to do better.

I have two cousins who drew DC and Marvel comics when they were seven years old. They became good they no longer required looking at work cause they developed an eye for it. One went on to become an art teacher. The other an illustrator for a design firm.
>>
>>3051179
he had a strong background even before he started with his "plagiarism" and "tracing".
one thing is trying to learn to draw by tracing, another is "tracing" to make your art look good with less effort.
>>
As you don't go too far and copy, it should be fine. It's a way to learn new techniques and I don't see how that could hurt if you're doing it for practice. Especially if you've found trouble in a specific area, doing a study of someone who has mastered it can help.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.