[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should I be holding my pencil and how should my arm/hand

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (174KB, 1761x991px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
174KB, 1761x991px
How should I be holding my pencil and how should my arm/hand be functioning to draw properly? Is it worth spending a short time daily grinding lines to build muscle memory? Can't seem to find anything good on the basic of basics.
>>
There isn't a "right" way to hold a pencil other than what feels most comfortable. When drawing you do however want to use as most of your arm as possible so that your lines are fluid and loose. If you hold the pencil very close to the tip and draw with your fingers or with your wrist you end up with a lot of chicken scratch.
>>
File: here's your pencil bro.png (352KB, 636x600px) Image search: [Google]
here's your pencil bro.png
352KB, 636x600px
>>3050518
>How should I be holding my pencil
As long as you're comfortable and don't cause any long lasting damage, you're fine.

Also, just do the trick where you put your finger down and spin the paper(human compass technique), it's more accurate than actually trying to draw the circle.
>>
>>3050518
i think practicing lines is worth it, i did it a lot when i was starting out and i think it helped. though if i were to do it again i would probably copy line drawings rather than just drawing lines.

basically the way to move your arm is that you priorities your shoulder, then your wrist (elbow takes care of itself). the shoulder because it can move on more axes, and it moves more smoothly and over greater distances, but your wrist does fine adjustments, and with certain things just the wrist by itself is useful, one of those things is writing which is why most people will tell someone new to 'draw from their shoulder,' they're not saying you're not allowed to move your wrist or anything like that, just that drawing isn't primarily a wrist thing like writing.

hold your pencil however you like, but again remember you're not writing so you don't want to only use the tip, you want to be able to make all sorts of marks.

another good tip is to draw on a slanted surface, it's much more comfortable, doesn't need to be much, even 30 degrees is better than 0.
>>
>>3050550
prioritize*
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.