[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Portable Drawing Tablet?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 26

File: RE1hvLr.jpg (19KB, 582x327px) Image search: [Google]
RE1hvLr.jpg
19KB, 582x327px
I noticed I draw best when I'm out and about. I want to draw digitally that way I have access to colors without making a mess everywhere I go.

Is the Microsoft surface pro the best portable drawing tablet for this?
>>
>>3049337
A Note 4 is the best thing on the market if you want something practical and small to do art on the go, I don't really thing something that big would be helpful without a table or something.
>>
I'm interested in this as well. My laptop broke about a year ago and I'm currently using a real shitty and slow 300 dollar notebook. I need a new laptop and I'm eyeing the new surface largely because it's also a drawing tablet. I heard that the previous models were not that good, but for those that have any experience with the new one, is it worth it? My budget is 1g.
>>
Just get markers, seriously.

But as far as digital goes, ipad pro (2017), hands down. If you get one with a smaller storage, it's not even expensive.

I don't know if something radically changed with surface pro 5/2017 (spoilers: it didn't), but 4 is not a good drawing tablet, and it's fucking expensive if you actually get the specs needed for muh industree stantard (which is frankly shit on a tablet, anyway).

There's some e-reader-type art tablet thing coming out that might be good, but I'm not sure it even has color.
>>
>>3049337
i've heard good things about the wacom mobile studio pro
>>
>>3049456
I bought the iPad pro yesterday and it's very good good for art and it's portable. The money you spend on a mobile studio pro can get you a cintiq for home use and iPad for portability.

My only problem is how files are handled on iOS but with the cloud it's not a huge deal I can work with it... The amazing drawing experience and how lightweight it is... makes it so worth.
>>
>>3049568
How are files handled on an iPad
I'm weighing up getting an iPad Pro or cintiq 13".
I only make simple pictures and 3 second animations with flash for tumblr so I don't need a supercomputer for my work, so the portability seems nice
>>
>>3049568
>My only problem is how files are handled on iOS
ios 11 nigga, normal file management is imminent
>>
>>3049619
Even for windows users?
>>
Thirding ipad pro. I have the older 9.7 inch version but it's great and procreate is cheap. I've been considering upgrading to the 2017 model. I feel like the slight screen size increase would help with multitasking and using refs without being huge like the bigger size.
>>
iPad Pro is best for sure. I've done some pretty rad stuff on mine. t's got its own app for digital painting which is nice I guess. It has snaps for perspective grid lines which is super fucking handy. I prefer combining it with Astropad and streaming photoshop on it though, but that also requires a macboook. There is of laptop equivalent but the quality is super pixelated and shitty in comparison.
>>
Galaxy note 10.1 and layerpaint.
>>
>>3049337
if you do shitty doodles, get ipad.

If you actually want proper file management and full applications that a pro needs, go with surface pro.

No im not a windows fanboy, but iOS is nothing but a phone system and should never have transferred to the ipad
>>
>>3050088
>le pro meme
If by pro you mean a concept artist that needs to make 20 variations quickly at the AD's whims, you do need a desktop is with desktop software, but you'd be retarded to think sp would cut it.

If you mean illustrator, iPad pro is more than capable enough. The only thing you'd want desktop software for is if you need to prep the file for printing because you're slumming it on upwork and the client is retarded, usually with big clients the person contacting you has no idea what printing even is and they just dump your unprintable shit on someone and tell them to deal with it.

The only real problem with iOS is file management, and it's not a small one, but iOS 11 will supposedly fix that.
>>
How do you decide on a surface pro
There's like 8 different models. I was looking at the 256GB, i5, 8GB RAM model but it seemed like it'd Ben outdated soon while o could probably get 5 years out of an ipad
>>
>>3049339
This. It's always in my pocket, and it's discreet for sketching people around you on the train or in a cafe.
Only thing I don't like is Samsung removed the option to disable 'air command' (the floating menu that appears when you press the button).
>>
How do these compare to huion?
>>
as someone who owns a surface pro 4, i'd say that the cost for it is to much for what its worth since the pen has strange pressure sensitivity at times(unless u are gonna carry a small pen tabled), there are also some photoshop issues at times when it wont recognize the pen and would recognize it as a mouse(it also has weird tapering issues in photoshop). if you do buy a surface don't rely on the pen
>>
>>3049585
I don't really like the file management but it's decent but I'm on iOS 10 I hears it gets better in 11. Regardless the icloud drive on iOS 10 is pretty good I'm able to put my pdfs in and psds and I use procreate.

I use both the pro 13 and iPad and i would say it's good to have both since the power of an desktop is unmatched, if you can't afford it do something like the intuos or a huion and the iPad pro for the portability.

I love the iPad for general sketches but still love using my cintiq for Photoshop and eventually zbrush, procreate is great but Photoshop is still more powerful imo.
>>
>>3050319
Thanks.
It's more buying one and seeing if I can afford the other 6 months later.
I'll get the iPad as I'm far from professional and just like drawing, having the ability to use it as a media player is nice too
>>
>>3050493
Yeah i'm not a professional at all; but having the iPad really helped me be more productive as I can have references and read all my study material and have a good drawing experience all in one device.

Defo need a computer though; just use ur shitty existing laptop to put videos on it and use iCloud for photos.
>>
i have the surface pro 3
pretty good tablet imho
heres a shitty drawing test i did when i first got it.

theres just enough levels to do some decent work, but i would suggest lowering sensetivity is most programs as I dont think the screen is that strong.
>>
>>3050319
why not just use the surface with real photoshop instead of settle for an ipad?
>>
>>3050655
because the pen is fucking garbage and if you like it you should kys
>>
>>3050685
not into console wars. is there any real objective source comparing surface vs ipad vs wacom pens?

on paper, surface pencil is just as good as the intuos pro (4,096 pressure levels+tilt sensitivity), and microsoft claims the latency is half than the ipad one.

anyway, using photoshop is a huge plus.
>>
Anyone try the Wacom Mobilestudio Pro? I'm considering it but the price is hard to swallow.
>>
File: wacom_mobilestudio_pro.jpg (64KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
wacom_mobilestudio_pro.jpg
64KB, 960x640px
>>3050722
Forgot pic
>>
>>3050691
Surface Pro 4 pen is ntrig, so there's going to be issues especially if people are used to wacom.

There's a slight, but noticeable delay on the pen, plus requires much higher activation force (a major complaint from people who've used it), jitter at slower stroke speeds.

ALso the SP4 battery is pretty bad, the new SP5 has a way better battery and has improved a bit in those other issues, but unless you absolutely need photoshop the iPad pro is still better at being a portable sketchpad.
>>
>>3050691
>objective source

Not such thing. Tech media is nothing but half truths, implied lies, and blatant omissions. Comments sections are easily manipulated by shills.

Anecdotal evidence is mostly provided by brainwashed morons with good intentions
>>
>>3050722
If you want a cintiq you can take from point a to point b that you don't need to lug a computer around for, that you might use for short periods in a cafe or something or plugged in at a desk, it's fantastic.

If you want something that you can draw on without a desk or power, it's shit.

It's meant to be a studio you can take with you, not something to use while up and about
>>
>>3050744
What if I want a big, dependable, high quality tablet that I can use at home, at work, and out in the real world?
>>
>>3050750
What if I want a magical dick - sucking boa constrictor to live in my fanny pack?
>>
>>3050691
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/pcuser/articles/1707/08/news009.html

Some japanese artist reviews the newest Surface Pro and compares it against the new iPad Pro and Surface Pro 4.

It looks like there's a noticeable improvement over the SP4.
>>
>>3050771
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itmedia.co.jp%2Fpcuser%2Farticles%2F1707%2F08%2Fnews009.html

Google translated version, its actually readable and the artist goes through a lot of the details that most 'tech' reviewers won't know or understand.
>>
>>3050744
What if I have a power bank?
>>
So I have a Cintiq Companion 2 and the new Surface 2017.

The cintiq companion is the better drawing tablet, I have much less jitter/pen issues and I do fairly detailed artwork. However it's a shitty machine and Wacom's customer service is horrible, after a year a large square of my computer just stopped registering touch for no reason.

The surface is a beautiful machine, however the pen is still slightly inconsistent in Clip Studio Paint. There is a jitter if you move slowly, sometimes when drawing near a line that you've already drawn it kind of retraces it almost like aim assist in a FPS, the ends of some lines leave weird twists, and occasionally the cursor is a bit random in placement. I do fairly detailed/methodical line work on some of my drawings.So while it may be great for sketching and maybe painting, it just doesn't cut it for "inking". THe attached mage was done with my Surface 2017, but it took way longer than it would have taken me if I didn't have to go back and poor lines.

I'm returning my new surface unfortunately, I really love the machine, and CSP claims they'll update their software in July, so maybe I'll rebuy it in a few months if I find out it works correctly.

I'm going to try out an Ipad Pro (it's not really a computer and I'll miss Clip Studio Paint.

The unfortunate truth is there is no great portable option.

Wacom: shitty computer, expensive, consistent pen, horrible customer service

Surface 2017: awesome computer, expensive, inconsistent/jittery pen, good customer service/physical stores exist

So I'll try out the ipad pro, but it seems like just using a non-mobile solution is your most cost effective bet.
>>
>>3050821
Is the problem only in CSP? Also have you tried lazy nezumi pro? maybe it will help with the jitter
>>
>>3050845
CSP and Photoshop,

I'm returning it today, so no time to test other programs, I may repurchase after August just to see if the CSP update did anything to help the jitter, but I don't want spend 2k on something that may only be okay.
>>
Beginner here, is it better to start off practicing on paper or should you get a tablet?
Does it matter? Are skills transferable from paper to tablet?
>>
>>3051230
Start on paper. Traditional skills transfer over to digital.
>>
>>3051236
Thanks.
Do you think you could link me a beginners set of drawing equipment on amazon.co.uk?
A book from the sticky recommends having a graphite stick, plastic plane, and viewfinder but I'm not sure if they are essential or not.
>>
All you need is a drawing utensil. Be it a pencil, a pen, or a stick. You don't even need an eraser. Just draw. If you make mistakes, just do better next time.

Not sure what a plastic plane is, but a graphite stick is perfectly fine. Viewfinders help to equate what you see in the real world and capture it on your canvas proportionately. Not totally necessary, but it can be useful for beginners.

How long have you been drawing for? Are you just starting now?
>>
>>3051250
Meant for >>3051242
>>
>>3051236
I disagree undo is perfect for beginners, and if you are going to use digital at the end, I would start there
>>
File: out.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
I got a Lenovo Yoga Book a few weeks ago because it was on sale and its the best expense I made this year.

10 inch windows tablet with a "intuous" tablet attached to it, its main advantage is that the tablet screen and the wacom tablet have a 1:1 ratio and you can put a ballpoint pen cartridge on the wacom pen and draw on an a5 paper
>>
File: IMG_20170708_122745.jpg (402KB, 1664x1248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170708_122745.jpg
402KB, 1664x1248px
Cons: Out of the box its not great, had to install Wacom software and create my own custom brush in MyPaint to emulate the ballpoint pen ink so my sketches look the same on paper and digital. the hinges are a bit flimsy and cheap despite looking premium

Pros: All windows art software I've tried works great. the CPU is not as bad as expected, not gonna be as fast as your main pc but its good enough for portability and "on the go".
>>
File: 2017-07-08 12_54_03-Greenshot.png (534KB, 1829x1027px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-08 12_54_03-Greenshot.png
534KB, 1829x1027px
And heres what I made with the YogaBook so far
>>
File: download.jpg (195KB, 1000x1989px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
195KB, 1000x1989px
>>3049337
Something to consider that I don't think anyone in this thread has brought up;
Get a Surface Pro 4 or even the newer model....
But instead of bothering with Microsoft's Surface Pen, get a Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart Stylus, which is fully compatible with the Surface Pro 4/2017.
The main benefit is the significantly reduced initial activation force (i.e. it works with a much lighter touch), plus you get two side buttons instead of one.
>>
>>3052008
is that ice and kermit? Cx
>>
>>3052018
well, they just made a new surface pen. Doubt it will be better than it when it comes out
>>
>>3052025
Supposedly the Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart Stylus has an even lighter activation force than even the new Surface Pen
>>
>>3052003
you dont make it sound good when you say its biggest advantage is being the same size. All wacom pads can be set up to be same ratio.
>>
>>3052030
hmm, might be worth checking out then. What about the buttons. Are they actually customizable or same as original?
>>
>>3052035
I think they're customisable. Here's a review
http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2017/5/27/wacom-bamboo-ink-smart-stylus-puts-the-pressure-on-surface-pen
>>
File: Untitled.png (1018KB, 1274x714px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1018KB, 1274x714px
>>3052022
Hell yeah dude, doodle is at around when Ice and Kermit was at the gun range

>>3052031
the intuous bit is a great advantage too vs drawing on a glass screen, from my experience anyway. and no latency.
I guess another huge advantage is all the doodles I've done on a5 paper are automatically saved on the tablet, saves time over scanning and all that jazz, and I can also use other wacom pens with two buttons
>>
>>3049337
You have to press kinda hard for it to start registering your pen stroke on Surface Pro 4
>>
>>3052006
What processor?
>>
>>3052003
I got the yoga book andriod version for college since it was only 300 and art is only a minor thing in my life at. super beginner, but how do you think it stacks up with artrage or whatever the fuck kind of app to draw with?
>>
I have the surface pro 4 (1400$ model)

I love it. IMO the best all in one tablet BY FAR.
>>
>>3049619
I hope it works with an older MBP (can't be upgraded to the latest OS X). I love this setup (my ipad pro is propped up against the keyboard) but I have to use dropbox between the Mac and the iPad which is lame.
>>
>>3052802
Baytrail

>>3053039
I don't understand the question, do you mean android apps vs windows programs? mine came with ArtRage Lite, it was okay but I just installed the programs I was already familiar with (Krita/Mypaint v1.0 Sai and CSP) and didn't want to deal with a mobile OS

I use Mypaint when I sketch with the A5 paper because of my custom brush, then paint with Krita
>>
>>3050821
>blooze chicken use SP
based

link that tumblr I need some thicc right now
>>
>>3051853
v v v disagree
1) there is a direct corellation when you put pen(cil) to paper. with digital, there are extra steps (pen driver settings, program settings) involved. so you'll never know if it's your problem or the tablet's problem or the program's problem or your computer's problem etc. when something messes up. when you have a feel of traditional, then at least you'll know what you should be expecting from digital.
2) undo is a crutch, and will mess you up in future if you ever want to go from digital -> traditional
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>3049337
I'm considering to buy cube i7 for it's wacom pen screen. Does anyone have experience with any chinese tablets? Most reviewers skip or just paint few lines in ms paint and claim it's great.

Or just any cube or teclast would be fine, but -----spoiler---- I want to actually use it besides drawing too.
>>
>>3053264
on the technology front, I had one of those hp Compac tablet PC, then a Surface pro and a Surface pro 2, with wacom digitizers; all of those, never worked for me because of the fucking parallax, It was always lacking,. The software from Autodesk was not very good either and PS isn't suited for small screens.
With the iPad pro, ProCreate & Apple Pencil I am a happy man and would recommend it in heartbeat.
If you are a beginner use as many crutches as you need: layers, transparencies, undo ( I have tapped with two fingers a piece of paper) you'll get further.
I don't doubt that pen and paper skills, carry to digital, but with current tech, it's my skill the issue.
(I'm not up to date with ntrig-windows tech and I've read that jigger issues still exist)

I've only, sort of gone, back to traditional once printed from digital and traced in the window, I was really careful with the watercolors, but things didn't burst aflame.
>>
>>3053267
Don't. they're fucking garbage. If you want something cheap, get an old tablet PC or a previous gen Surface 1/2 Pro.
>>
Hey guys can one of you make a thread about prime day? All 3 off brand screen tablets prismacolors and even huion regular tablets are currently up for grabs at a reduced rate. ( personally finally bought my diamond clean toothbrush)

Im sure itll end up helping a person or two
>>
>>3050722
It's an unforgivable piece of shit. The drivers fuck up all the time and the piece of shit is hard to do anything productive with. If you want a portable drawing tablet than buy a laptop and a decent tablet like a cintiq 13hd.
>>
>>3057899
Lol no laptop+cintiq13HD is not exactly a portable solution because you need to plug the cintiq to a wall outlet, however the Artistul 13D is like the cintiq but can be powered via usb, so thats a better solution

But for super lightweight portable stuff, the ipad pro or Yogabook are better
>>
>>3053267
it was great for just $350. never lagged or crashed, great pen, powerful processor, works with bamboo feel, handled huge projects, etc. It did get pretty HOT on the battery, and the screen is a little bit small. I broke and replaced it with a refurb hp spectre, which has better quality casing/attractive design, but the tech is mediocre by a large margin. If you dont drop it, its fine.
>>
>>3049337
Everything about Surface Pro 2 and 3 was TERRIBLE.

I haven't tried 4, but since it's still Microsoft and still Ntrig, I'm inclined to think it's absolutely awful.
>>
>>3057964
i have 4
its p good
>>
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but out of nowhere my Photoshop CS6 stopped letting me hold ALT to pick a color. What the hell happened?
>>
I've been using the Samsung 7 Series Slate with Win8 for a few years and it's great. Portable and can handle decent size PS files. I usually do 3-5k pixels at 300dpi. Battery sucks though, I usually get no more than 2 hours if I'm actually drawing on it.
>>
It just dawned on me how big of a handicap being a traditionalfag is when sketching in public... With a watercolor setup I'm limited to a public outdoors place like a park. Even with waterbrushes it's awkward as fuck to pull out a watercolor palette indoors, so I'm limited to pencil or ink 80% of the time.
>>
>>3057934
Also another huge benefit is the pen works with magnets. Never needs batteries or charging, just replace the nibs every so often
>>3058425
That's why I gave up traditional. its so inconvenient to need a pen case and sketchbook when I can work on just my computer anywhere.
>>
>>3050778
>>3050771
Thanks for the link. I'm surprised how readable the google translated version is.
>>
>>3058425
have you tried a small portable set of watercolors, like the Sakura Koi set? The size is perfect and the paints are suprisingly good for the price.
>>
>>3061613
Nope, I carry a setup that's a bit larger, but I think I'll take a look around now
>>
>>3061620
https://www.amazon.com/Sakura-XNCW-24N-Assorted-Watercolors-Sketch/dp/B001OVG40E/
This is the one I have. I think there's a 12 color and 36 color one as well, but I find the 24 to be perfect. When closed it's no bigger than your hand outstretched and it has an extra palette-like thing inside, as well as sponges to wipe your brush on and a waterbrush. The colors are good enough to use at home too when you're too lazy to get out the good paints. I believe W&N has a portable palette as well if you prefer their paints.
>>
File: galaxy book.jpg (222KB, 1500x1183px) Image search: [Google]
galaxy book.jpg
222KB, 1500x1183px
The new Galaxy book supposedly has a pretty next-gen pen, and the screen on the 12.6" is bloody amazing as well. Too bad it's so fucking expensive.
I've been thinking about getting the 10" one, but given that windows applications generally take up a bit more space in terms of interface they'd probably be borderline unusable on anything that small.
>>
File: ideapad-miix-510-hero[1].png (66KB, 725x515px) Image search: [Google]
ideapad-miix-510-hero[1].png
66KB, 725x515px
i got Lenovo MiiX 510 for $619
it's pretty dope
>>
Hell, I still use a Surface Pro 2 I got off Groupon during a 50% off sale. It's old but still runs CS6 perfectly fine.
>>
>>3057918
no you don't need to plug the cintiq into the wall. It is powered via your PC only thing it has when you get it is a hydra cable.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-18-21-49-24.png (285KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-18-21-49-24.png
285KB, 1080x1920px
>>3064754
Source?
>>
>>3064754
Yes, you do have to plug the Cintiq into the wall, where the hell did you pull that out of, your ass?

https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/cintiq-13hd-and-cintiq-companion-hybrid-power-supply-and-plug#/undefined1

Do some fucking research before running your fucking mouth.
>>
>>3058666
It doesn't work with magnets, it works with electromagnetic resonance, or magnetic fields. The fields are created by tiny coils behind the screen, which interact with coils in the pen.
>>
File: oldsamsungnote.jpg (586KB, 1600x713px) Image search: [Google]
oldsamsungnote.jpg
586KB, 1600x713px
Not the best but my old Samsung Note Pro & wacom Bamboo stylus is pretty neat! any Note users here!?
>>
>>3064896
oops it's not a pro it's just a Note 10.1
>>
>>3064896
How come wacom stylus' work with some screens but not others?
>>
Planing on a new phone, Samsung Note is one of them, should i pick up Note 4 or go for something newer?
>>
>>3064910
>Reply
they have to have s-pen functionality and only the Note series of Samsung's have it.
>>
>>3049337

a sketchbook, your art is terrible and you need practice

>>3050649

>decent work
>doesnt know basic proportions of a face and complains that theres not enough sensitivity

memes.gif
>>
>>3064910
Because Wacom has patented how their screens and pens work, and you have to buy a license to use them. Before you start complaining, most of the parts of the laptop/desktop/phone you're using are the same - a lot of the tech built in is used via license to the patent holder. That's why Firewire never took off like it should have, because it was Apple tech and they charged a lot for a license.
>>
>>3052003
The Yoga is interesting. I'd want to try one first, at it's price point, but it's small and light enough to consider, and I could use Sketchbook Pro on it. (My go to drawing app if I don't have Photoshop).
>>
>>3053110
You've never heard of Airdrop? I have it set for my MBP, iPad, and iPhone. It's easy.
>>
>>3064896
what app is that?
>>
>>3065020
autodesk sketchbook with the extra paid tools.
>>
>>3051242
get a hi tec c ballpoint pen and copy paper and you are good to go.

if you need a book: get scott robertsons how to draw.

fancy paper and equipment will not help you.
>>
>>3065819
totally off OP's subject. and anybody who's anybody knows who scott robertson is.
>>
>>3055341
Avoid surface pro 1 and 2 like the plague. I own a Surface Pro 2, the screen occlussion is fucking awful, initial force activation sucks and the battery life is garbage.
>>
File: out1.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
out1.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>3064956

yeah it is very light and slim, great battery life too. heres the sketches I made this past month (really difficult to flip the pages with one hand but you get the idea)
>>
>>3065927
also, the ink refill lasted a months and I'm now using the second out of three that came with it, I checked the Yoga Book forum for ink replacement and you can get cheaper than the original ones but I have yet to order and try them
>>
>>3050192
>new Ipads come out every year
>my Ipad will last 5 years

Ok, bro.
I'm looking at the Surface to replace my aging Samsung Slate. All I need is Photoshop, but I'm not degrading myself by using a mobile OS.
>>
>>3051242
First of all it's true that equipment doesn't matter if you just want to draw but you need to get at least some pleasure from your materials. Graphite is fantastic and you're likely going to use it all your life.

I recommend getting wooden pencils or a very slim leadholder so that you can use the side of the lead. KUM makes an amazing long point sharpener that gives you a perfect tip and has a reservoir. You don't need to get absurdly expensive artist's pencils, I use the school pencils by Staedtler.

If you already prefer mechanical pencils, Pentel makes the best ones, a Sharp or a Graphgear 500 will last you forever. Get 0.5 'cause it's the easiest lead size to find.

You can do pretty much everything with a 2B grade.

No idea about sketchbooks since I make my own, but something with a hard back and not ultra thin paper (at least 70gsm) is better since your drawings won't show up on the other side. Don't get anything too expensive either because you don't want to get precious with your paper.
>>
>>3066797
I thought the same till I actually used an iPad... the drawing experience is legit close to a cintiq. The surface does not even compare, it takes adjusting but I just open up the procreate psd when I get home on Photoshop and continue where I left off. Unless you absolutely need Photoshop on the go 24/7 the iPad is legit.
>>
>>3049337

Just buy markers, pens portable water color.

Buy a great DSLR camera instead to take pictures of your art.

If ever you didn't make it in the art scene, atleast you can use your DSLR and be a professional photographer for stock photos.

that is my goal now
>>
>>3067132
with a scanner you can get away with less than 200$
>>
>>3067132
Anon, you are absolutely retarded.

t. Actual camerafag
>>
>>3067132
Lighting artwork is not easy. You're talking $6-800 investment, when a $100 scanner will do the job faster, and better quality. You can pick up an Epson Photo perfection V500 for under $100, and it's a fantastic scanner.

PS - professionals sell stock art to make extra money, nobody lives off it. Good luck if you try it.
>>
>>3067132
selling stock photos is hard
>>
>>3067625
>>3067155

picture related i actually have an 2nd hand sf1 with wacom bamboo feel pen.

Sometimes I wish the screen was bigger.

I'm still more faster in traditional art so now I'm wishing for a great camera to picture my art (i can't scan a huge mural wall)
or that can be used for photo reference and for 3d texture jobs too, you can also do some nude photography, wedding events etc. on the side to practice composition
>>
>>3068505
Nude photography, for money? LAWL. Do you know how many guys are trying that scam? And how quickly you'll be lumped into that group?
And, you must be a kid, if you don't know how oversaturated and competitive wedding photography is, and how stupid it is to expect customers to let you learn how to shoot while shooting their wedding. They want good photos, not your fuck ups.
Get a job, start saving for equipment, and learn how the real world works. You can't just decide to be a photographer, and walk out and make enough money to live on. I know professional photographers with 30+ years industry experience, sponsored by Nikon and Canon, who are finding it incredibly hard to make a living now, and you think you can just buy a camera and do better than them?

Grow up. Practice art while that happens. Stop giving life advice, until you've actually had a life, in the real world.
>>
File: dospara_raytrektab_d08iwp_2.jpg (66KB, 780x550px) Image search: [Google]
dospara_raytrektab_d08iwp_2.jpg
66KB, 780x550px
>>3049337
Although I already post this in another thread, Dospara raytrektab DG-D08IWP is now hot among Japanese drawfags.
It's an 8 inch windows tablet with the wacom feel it stylus and costs less than US$450. Specially developed for drawing and painting.
https://youtu.be/NQ4YyxyMs7E
>>
>>3069451
that was not convincing at all
mostly when there are older tablets that do the same thing for cheaper like Asus Vivotab note 8
>>
>>3049456

Just B Yourself
>>
>>3068782

okay if not for money you can use it for reference alone.
You naughty commenter

I'm inspired by this one https://youtu.be/7LgHOUTZ8Gc?t=1632

I answered ops question. msp is actually a great
device on the go with photoshop cc. knowing that >>3052018
is available for sp3 and sp4 that made me think of upgrading soon
>>
thinkpad x220 tablet is goat
>>
>>3070503
>old hardware
>mediocre screen
>heavy
>not enough battery life

the x220 was great in 2010
>>
Something I drew recently on a Surface pro 3 in a moving car during a long ass trip.
I also have a cintiq 27qhd at home. The surface is great as a side machine. I hate the initial required force, feels unnatural. Although its great for zbrush, retouching and light(lol) drawing
Thinking of getting the Wacom pen, waiting for more comparisons with the new one from Microsoft. Wacom sux too, both pen technologies have drawbacks, jitter and inconsistent pressure across apps. Also wacom lags more, but the initial force is like 0 gram
>>
>>3070728
And yes, her hands are big, also yet to clean the lineart/finish up on my cintiq
>>
>>3070728
chicken scratch and poor drapery
>>
>>3070783
Never drew drapery really, wanna see you not chicken scratching in moving car
>>
Another thing drawn on my Surface pro 3
>>
>>3070814
was this made in a moving car too?
>>
>>3070822
As you can see its way better, I draw on top of my sketches, these are not finished drawings.
Couldn't care less
>>
File: dunning-kruger-0011.jpg (122KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
dunning-kruger-0011.jpg
122KB, 660x330px
>>3070834
of course it is
>>
File: 59a.jpg (126KB, 341x512px) Image search: [Google]
59a.jpg
126KB, 341x512px
>>3070840
Aww, butthurt because can't afford shit?
>>
>>3070841
the fact you think this is about unnecessary tools instead of skillset is part of your problem
>>
>>3070859
Projecting much? I just prefer digital, work unrelated job and have some money to burn, here you are crying that my drawing sucks. Cry more.
>>
>>3070841
kek, you're replying to at least 2 different anons. no one mentioned anything about your tools, only your complete lack of skill and subsequent denial of it.
>>
>>3070890
I still fail to see why you keep bringing your tablet into this
you're still a beginner who should at least try to take criticism (and by /ic/ standards, that was quite mild)
>>
When exactly did I deny that? Only mentioned it has more chickening because its done on the surface while in a car, then again I'm lazy to finish my drawings, and haven't worked on improving line art, so all suffer to some degree
>>3070908
Criticize me all you want, that's why I post here.
I usually get ignored, that's why I'm no longer anon, rather be a meme
>>
>>3070912
Here's relatively finished one, where I still got lazy with the hands
>>
>>3070916
>moving car
>these are not finished drawings
>i got lazy
your shit excuses are the denial. why post lazy and unfinished drawings for critique? those factors will obviously be the first thing brought to attention. you're still a serial chicken scratcher, and don't think people can't tell the difference between "i got lazy" and "i don't know how to draw hands"
>>
>>3070937
Well
>>3070937
Here we have it, I should work on lineart and finish my drawings more, anything else useful you might add?
>>
>>3050162
Gotta disagree. I could never do all my work on an iPad - as an illustrator, half my work is done in Adobe Illustrator. I'm also not moving around, I work in a studio with proper lighting at home, and in my office. An iPad is a good adjunct to a professional and their tools, but I don't see anyone using them as their primary platform.
>>
>>3070916
Why do I feel like i've seen this months ago, did you just steal this from someone on /ic/ and start spamming it?
>>
File: Plume Knight.jpg (1MB, 1567x2359px) Image search: [Google]
Plume Knight.jpg
1MB, 1567x2359px
My note 10.1 2014 edition is great as a digital sketchbook. Wacom oem digitizer and a great responsive little stylus. I use infinte painter, which just got a big update that really speeds up brush calculations and it works great. Starting to have some battery issues though.
>>
>>3049585
Fuck the 13 inch cintiq dude.

Intuos beats it out for miles unless you only do lineart.
>>
File: Untitled_Artwork-1.jpg (701KB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_Artwork-1.jpg
701KB, 3508x2480px
Back again, I gotta say, Procreate + Apple Pencil + Ipad Pro is the winner for me.

it sucks because of course this isn't a computer and you can't use Clip Studio Paint, but its just a smoother, better drawing experience.

The Surface Pro is an amazing computer, but if you use detail in your art, the pen jitter will drive you insane. Comparitively the Ipad pro + Procreate has no jitter, no lag (the pressure sensitivity/tilt/etc is all app dependent instead of system dependent which is why I specifically state with procreate)

I think I'll be sticking with the ipad

Wacom is a trash company, never buy a computer from them, cintiq sure, just don't buy a full comp.
>>
File: Ggg.jpg (887KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
Ggg.jpg
887KB, 2480x3508px
It helps that the ipad is also cheaper and when I purchased it it came with free headphones. I really wanted to like the surface more, I may revisit in the future if they ever get their pen act together.

Additionally apparently there may be a new apple pencil this fall so you may want to wait until then.
>>
>>3071315
Wtf is the ROM you use, I get constant lag in all brushes..
>>
>>3071851
Thanks for your posts, I'm thinking of getting the 32gb ipad pro from amazon and using procreate on it. I want something that will let me sketch away from my PC that I can then transfer files to to finish up later.

A cintiq would have to stay at my desk, and I have the same concerns about the surface pro pen (it's also way more expensive)
>>
>>3074209
Not that other guy, but I'm getting the iPad Pro in the mail soon if you want another opinion.
>>
>>3074219
You think the 9.7 screen will be enough? The 2016 model is going for a discounted price it seems. My other concern is if it has enough ram for bigger files.
>>
>>3074224
I've drawn on the 9.7 model, and I think it was a bit small for my tastes... The demo model was at an awkward angle and the security cable on the Pencil made it really awkward though, so maybe actually holding one properly would make the experience more enjoyable.

Have you tried drawing on a 9.7? Maybe you could take a look at the 10.5 model, which has the new processor.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU7f2hykqeg

As for the RAM thing, here's a thread about the 9.7 model:
>https://forums.procreate.art/index.php?topic=9228.0
The 10.5 model has 4GB of RAM, versus the 2GB of the 9.7. [Deleted and edited the post because my phrasing was ambiguous here]

Sorry if this isn't helpful. I'm getting the 12.9 model since I've got grant money that's covering the costs. I've been sitting on picking between a Cintiq and the iPad Pro for a while. I hope you can find a monitor tablet suitable for you.
>>
>>3074256
Yeah, the 10.5 model is probably the better choice then, thanks a lot.

It's either this or a Cintiq 13, the 10.5 iPad Pro + Pencil makes it come out to about the same price where I live. I just think the iPad will be more versatile.
>>
>>3074260
No problem! The huge plus of the iPad Pro is its portability, personally. I can use my regular tablet at my computer if I really need to churn out a 400 layer file at 5000 x 5000 or something. I can't wait to start using it.

Also this industry guy does really sweet stuff on the iPad Pro:
>https://www.youtube.com/user/nikolailockertsen/featured
>>
I can't decide between the ipad pro 10.5 or 12.9, financially it's better for me to get the 10.5 but idk if the extra money is worth getting a 12.9 (which isn't in pink either which I wanted)
>>
>>3074355
Tried the 10.5, it's alright but I was alot more happy with the 12.9. More drawing space and just a better viewing experience overall, I use it all the time on the go and the size doesn't bother me.
>>
>>3049337
Ipad pro with IOS11 is the best drawing tablet you can get probably.Using procreate with apple pencil is a such pleasure but file management a little bit sucks on IOS.If you will only surf on internet,draw or create some musics then ipad pro is the best choose for you.I dont like apples other product so much,but this tablet is so good i think.You can get an idea by looking to this guys channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhbvLlqqQd8

But if you are also wanna do some low poly 3d models on a portable tablet too,then windows tablets are the only choose.
>>
I have a MacBook Air and I just found out that Wacom runs like absolute shit on it, like it didn't already on windows. While this is probably my chance to just use regular mediums like other artfags, I'd much rather have a tablet. What works well with a 2015 MacBook Air?
>>
>>3053151
>>3052006
Hey man I'm getting more and more curious about that thing. How does it keep your paper locked in the spot? Tablet surface itself is smooth or more rugged/paper like?
>>
File: Untitled.png (720KB, 1000x1428px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
720KB, 1000x1428px
>>3074528

it comes with this notepad thing that has a magnet at the back and can clip on the wacom tablet side, you can add any A5 paper and holepunch the top bit

it feels like a regular intuous I guess? not slippery smooth like glass, not rugged just a plastic coating
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.