[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monsted thread How do I paint like Peder Monsted?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Monsted thread

How do I paint like Peder Monsted?
>>
>>3046532
Spend a month doing a study, you'll learn a lot.
>>
>>3046532

In my opinion, as someone who has been doing digital painting since the early 2000's - forget about the "making a copy is not a REAL study" idea that's floating around. Yes, copying alone is not enough, but if you really want to study an artist's work intimately you have to copy, sometimes down to imitating single brush strokes. You have to spend long hours with a single painting examining every square inch, so to speak. Just looking intently at a piece while you're making the study helps. Look at the painting you're studying every day, get fanatical about mark making, edges and brush work.
There's simply no way around it. I recently finished a 50-60 hour (digital) study of a landscape painting from an another artist. Learnt a ton.I encourage you to do the same. Pick your absolute favorite painting to do a deep, long study on but also do quicker composition studies etc. of his other paintings.
>>
>>3047581
Thank you
>>
hm, dunno. ive based a few paintings on other paintings, never copied completely though. i think one importajnt thing is to pay close attention to technique not getting everything placed exactly as the original or with exactly the same colours. to get what you want from the original style and sort of mix it in to your own. wanting to paint like someone else can be a hindrance.
i think the most important thing though when painting landscapes is to do it plein air, painting from a photo or a painting is entirely something different than doing it at the scene. you wont get the full range of light otherwise, and you dont have to guess what it looks like irl because photos will look like photos. also you dont get the movement of water and vegetation and changes in light etc. i find that that changes the way i paint.
most of the time i paint for like three-four hours plain air to get the composition and colours right and make a bunch of sketches and take some photos, then i dont have to rely blindly on the photos.
>>
>>3047581
if your study was good you would have posted it.
>>
File: Charles-Barque-drawing-Course-9.jpg (691KB, 2000x1480px) Image search: [Google]
Charles-Barque-drawing-Course-9.jpg
691KB, 2000x1480px
>>3047581
>making a copy is not a REAL study

I didn't know this was a popular or common belief. But I agree with you and doing a "master copy" where you try to copy something as closely as possible is a form of training that dates back to the renaissance and artists like Michelangelo did it. It became very popular in the 19th century among neoclassical artists and it's still taught today in traditional ateliers.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.