[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he studies anatomy so he understands how to draw the human

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1456190113449.jpg (21KB, 312x345px) Image search: [Google]
1456190113449.jpg
21KB, 312x345px
>he studies anatomy so he understands how to draw the human body better
>he doesnt study botany to understand how to draw plants better
>he doesnt study geology to understand how to draw rocks better
>he doesnt study mechanical engineering to understand how to draw machines better
>he doesnt study physics to understand how to draw movement better

How can you expect to draw something accurately if you don't even understand it?
>>
Sorry you're too retarded to understand basic anatomy, buttercup :^)
>>
File: 1451689827692.png (54KB, 657x788px) Image search: [Google]
1451689827692.png
54KB, 657x788px
mum was right, shoulda studied harder in school

>tfw retard now
>>
>>3046300
Studies in art are really about memorization, not understanding.
>>
I don't know if this guy is trying to troll or something but obviously it makes sense to research whatever you're drawing first so you understand it to some degree.
>>
>>3046391
> it makes sense to research whatever you're drawing first

Which takes all of 10 seconds.

If you know your fundamentals, you can draw anything just by drawing it's basic forms. From there, all your "research" needs to be is pulling up a few references in Google images to see what the more specific details might be.

You don't need to spend copious amount of time memorizing things. The way to go is to learn your fundies and then just figure out the specifics of whatever it is you need to draw in that moment.
>>
>>3046396

>he thinks reference images on google help him understand what he's drawing
>he thinks this is "research"
>>
>>3046300
all the really good artists do do these things though, the amount of knowledge some of the best artists have is some mindblowing shit
>>3046368
wrong
>>3046396
t. shit artist , more knowledge will always lead to better art and concepts if the artist has good fundamentals
>>
>>3046300
You only need to know more than most of your audience knows.

99% of people don't know shit about those fields you named, but they *all* know what a human being looks like.
>>
>>3046300
>he doesn't study projective geometry to understand how to draw perspective better
>he doesn't study fluid mechanics to understand how to draw water better
>he doesn't study electrodynamics to understand how to draw lighting better
>he doesn't study history to understand how to draw armors historically accurate
>>
>>3046300

All of those go hand in hand. You will never lose knowledge from doing so. Da Vinci even designed a helicopter prototype using his physics knowledge.
>>
>>3046300

Come on OP, you can practice drawing anatomy. Cut off the time you spend on Overwatch.
>>
>>3046540
What kind of crack does Blizzard put in Overcancer? It's such a terrible game yet I can't stop playing it.
>>
>>3046547

Probably the frequent updates. Those made me hooked on Siege and Csgo until they delayed them.
>>
You know, this reminds me of a story I'd like to get off my chest about the arrogance of STEM people.

I was happily walking across campus towards our massive new shiny, glass walled multi-million dollar government funded cheme laboratory when I realized I need to take piss. And what would other building than the the Visual Art department happened to be the nearest? So I was walking through the old building noticing that even though they haven't seen funding for renovation in decades, they seem to have done a good job preserving and what they do have, it felt very cosy. The bathroom was kind of nice clean and the halls were quiet.

On my way out I happened to see an active lecture hall, the lecturer was quietly helping one student at the front while the rest worked so it seemed somewhat akin to a tutorial session. Everyone there seemed pretty relaxed and as if they actually had enough time to properly wash and get well dressed this morning, they put a clear effort into their appearance. I had a minute so I stopped to glance at some work the students were producing.

This experience made me realize 3 things:
>This lecture hall is filled with complete and utter fucking plebs.
>I could draw geometric shapes by hand better and more accurately after my 1st semester tech comm. class than half the hacks and idiots in this class who can barely draw a straight line.
>Our arrogance is completely justified, fuck these tards, arts should not be a real university degree in the 21st century, keep your hobbies outside academia.
>>
>>3046368
Wrong.
At first you memorise, but the goal is to "feel" and understand things.
>>
>>3046554

This is a pretty dumb opinion to have on an arts board. Arts has shifted away from realism for a lot of reasons you'll probably never understand. They could easily have been straight out of high school with no prior experience which 3 years of university could help them a lot. Not to say it's not a complete waste for a lot of people and not worth going into debt for but to say it shouldn't be a degree is dumb
>>
>>3046554
if you would stop being such a newfag around here you would notice we too hate those kind of schools where they don't teach jack shit
>>
>>3046554
>>3046985
>>3046992

> tfw /ic/ doesn't know this meme
>>
>>3046554
> atory about the arrogance of STEM ppl
I was expecting a story about how arrogant STEM ppl are, but not this one. Stop being such a pleb
>>
>>3046536
>he doesn't study history to understand how to draw armors historically accurate
History buffs will rip you a new one if you're character designs aren't historically accurate when their supposed to be. Watch out for the fantasytards too, they are history shitters in disguise.
>>
File: 1365365713732.gif (2MB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
1365365713732.gif
2MB, 420x315px
>>3047019

>tfw didn't know that meme
>>
>>3047055
somebody explain gif pls

I get the man stabs other man, but what is that light at the end? a gun shot? somebody taking a photo at a conference? there seems to be some kind of blast, or at least the knife man getting shot
>>
File: 1960001[1].jpg (620KB, 2560x2126px) Image search: [Google]
1960001[1].jpg
620KB, 2560x2126px
>>3047063

Most likely a flash bulb camera going off with coincidentally perfect timing, or the photographer reacted really quick to movement and took a reflex shot.

Very famous photo from a different angle. All the guards sort of rush ontop of him after instead of shooting, so I doubt it was gunfire.
>>
>>3047063
>gunshots
Look at the chinese dudes, it isn't america so it probably isn't a gunshot and most likely a camera flash because king chink just got pierced like chicken satay and you'd get a shitton of retweets with the right photo.
>>
>>3046300
Sure that stuff would help but all you really need is a basic understanding of something plus a little time doing observational drawing and then you don't really need to put all the extra time into studying things you don't need.

Gesture trains with drawing movement just fine, unless you're an animator then yeah get into those physics. As long as you can google something and find a picture or video then as an artist you're set.
>>
>>3046554
kek, is this a copypasta now?
>>
>>3046368
If you memorize you only understand how to draw one thing in that one position. You need to understand the musculature, bone structure, etc. in order to be able to draw accurately no matter the pose, position, or form.
>>
>>3046368
Someone didn't feel enough Vilppu
>>
>>3046368
this guy is right,
if you don't think so, you're both pretentious and delusional
>>
>>3046300
bait/10. But this is fun
> he doesn't study linear algebra to understand how points actually project in space
> he doesn't understand
> he doesn't study chemistry to understand how graphite traces stick to paper or how his pigments are composed
> he doesn't study particle physics to understand how the universe is held together at a fundamental particle level
> Didn't start with the *real* fundamentals and learn to create the universe before learning forms and perspective

ngmi /ic
>>
>>3046391
> I don't know if this guy is trying to troll or something
Jesus Christ really? /ic has you by the balls don't they?

Have you stepped outside? Do you not realize that artists learn 10% (I'd argue even less) than scientific highschool anatomy? "Artist anatomy" is really only interested in bone and surface muscle groups and their mechanical functions and nothing else. When's the last time you and to learn to draw a person's duodenum and know it's function and how it works in order to actually draw a person. You don't really even to know that if you did guro shit because most people just draw the intestines as just a giant tube sticking out of people's ribcage (which is wrong by the way).
>>
>>3047356
it's an old /sci/ pasta
>>
>>3047464
Agreed but what does that have to do with the post you quoted
>>
>>3047455
At least they're not shit artists
>>
>>3046300
Nice way to point out the superficial nature of 'studing anatomy', I really hope people on /ic/ are aware they're just learning the most basic aspects of it.

You have a point in studying those other subjects. If you want to be an industrial designer, you better know some shit about mechanical engineering and as an animator you better learn about physical boundries and when it's okay to break them. I don't think it's necessary to get super deep into science, but depending on your field you should definitely have an understanding on how things work. This will make your art not only more believable, but it makes solving problems easier and thus gives you the tools to self-improve more quickly.
>>
>>3048410
So that's what OP meant? Or did he? How can we truly now?

Why wouldn't he specify "deep years-long study to the level of a scientific expert in these fields"

A quick scan through wikipedia and google images is enough for an artist in most fields of study but that counts as research, and is necessary if you want to avoid the most obvious mistakes when drawing something unfamiliar.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.