[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which approach is more effective for improving your comic making

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (164KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
164KB, 1280x720px
1.) Continuously work on a comic while studying fundamentals on the side
2.) Make a short comic(like a oneshot) and then spend a few months improving your weaknesses( things like composition, perspective, posing) before making another one.

Which approach is better and why? Also, which one have you guys used?
>>
>>3046024
if you fail at a small comic it's a small failure.

Fail at a big comic and nobody's gonna take the time to wait for you to be good.
First few moments are everything for viewer retention.
People just sorta automatically keep flipping after the first few good pages.

The hardest part of a comic imo is the background/environment art.
>>
>>3046029
That being said since the barr for webcomics is so low, you can do a "meh" job and gradually improve it over time.

Writing has to draw people in though.
if you're bad at writing the safest way to keep people is just by being really vague early on.
One Piece and Adventure Time do something similar.. They leave a bunch of vague background details and make it important later.
>>
>>3046034
>>3046029

Okay so here is the thing. I made a short gag comic in the beginning of the year, I realized I was shit in backgrounds, story telling, expressions, composition, etc.

I've been practicing those weaknesses for the past 3 months and I've gotten better at it. I'm currently working on a script for a horror comic but unlike a gag comic, writing is a lot more important and with every edit I make to the script, I feel like it's improving. But at the same time, I feel like I might end up working on this thing forever. Do you think it's better to just force myself to start it and learn backgrounds and all that shit on the go or wait till the end of the year where I think I'll be a lot more comfortable starting the story.
>>
>>3046044
>script

dude, finish the script first. Then get back to practicing art.

you can always just grind infinitely with digital.
the second you realize you're bad at something, just open a new window and grind away. don't wait until you're perfect. just keep practicing until you can confidently do something, then move on.

if you have chapters you can always apply what you learn to the next chapter. if you're giving every page your best shot, you shouldn't have massive changes in quality over a few pages unless they're like months apart.

The hardest part is getting people to say "hey, this is pretty good." from the beginning.
>>
File: 20170417.jpg (492KB, 892x1213px) Image search: [Google]
20170417.jpg
492KB, 892x1213px
>>3046044
>>3046750

I think the main thing is just to start fucking doing it. If you already have an idea for a comic, just outline the basic plot for the story and then have a more detailed storyboard/script for the first 5-10 pages and just go at it.

Worst case scenario you'll realize it looks like shit, but will have a more objective view of all the things you need to practice. Then you can either use those pages as the storyboard/script for a second pass, or just keep going with the story and remake then down the line when you feel more confident.

Picture tangentially related.
>>
>>3046024
make a bunch of oneshots while studying fundamentals on the side
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.