[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Golden Age

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 25

File: Rackham3.jpg (849KB, 1000x1647px) Image search: [Google]
Rackham3.jpg
849KB, 1000x1647px
How do I become as good as the Golden Age's masters ?
Also why do I never see anything from this era/style on /ic/ ?
>>
File: tumblr_nu8m89xFej1uvd0n3o1_1280.jpg (308KB, 742x1100px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu8m89xFej1uvd0n3o1_1280.jpg
308KB, 742x1100px
>>
File: twilig11.jpg (60KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
twilig11.jpg
60KB, 800x535px
>>
1/ Don't know, Switch off the internet, tv, video, etc etc and work all day every day, as they did.
2/ Because the standard of that work, from that era, is so high, and /ic/ prefers T&A, or sucking off Ruan Jia, etc...
>>
File: 9055061_orig.jpg (517KB, 1100x776px) Image search: [Google]
9055061_orig.jpg
517KB, 1100x776px
>>3045764
>and /ic/ prefers sucking off Ruan Jia
That's fucking sad.
We have 3 threads about this guy every day for years now.
I like anime and alternative art, don't get me wrong, but why can't we discuss about something different ?

Any books about that subject ?
>>
File: tumblr_miidoo6zPG1rlw9j5o1_1280.jpg (1MB, 1272x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_miidoo6zPG1rlw9j5o1_1280.jpg
1MB, 1272x1600px
>>3045764
>and /ic/ prefers T&A, or sucking off Ruan Jia
Pretty much. Most of the plebs here prefer highly rendered art that showcases technical skill
>>
File: f71321da2e5ab952cee20b394246a7ce.jpg (383KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
f71321da2e5ab952cee20b394246a7ce.jpg
383KB, 700x1000px
These are cool. I never really paid attention to art like this for whatever reason, even though I like it.
I can't help but be reminded of Yoshitaka Amano's art, the one Final Fantasy guy. It has a similar sort of... fairy tale feeling.
Post more please
>>
File: tumblr_n37gett3gF1ts9gtvo5_1280.jpg (517KB, 1032x1421px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n37gett3gF1ts9gtvo5_1280.jpg
517KB, 1032x1421px
>>3045772
I don't know, Line and Form by Walter Crane is the only one I know that comes close to this stuff
>>
>>3045781
Amano is a god.
I also absolutely love Rebecca Guay.
Every one of her paintings has that fairy tale feeling.
Pic Related is John Bauer, he mainly did children book illustrations.
>>3045786
I'll take a look thanks.
>>
>>3045758
because 3d and digital art is the trend right now. im sorry to say.

imo modern day digital art is garbage.
>>
File: tumblr_mwgmuflnGw1qi95c1o7_1280.jpg (373KB, 868x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwgmuflnGw1qi95c1o7_1280.jpg
373KB, 868x1200px
>>
most of these paintings probabaly only took about an hour too. digital artists are too caught up with CTRL Z.

above art^ was made after learning from mistakes with out an undo option. they became much more efficient with paint strokes and avoiding errors.
>>
File: 87360b54f23b07de4b9ad44b1c2febb0.jpg (495KB, 736x1193px) Image search: [Google]
87360b54f23b07de4b9ad44b1c2febb0.jpg
495KB, 736x1193px
This is a comfy thread
>>
File: p04jbjk8.jpg (227KB, 976x610px) Image search: [Google]
p04jbjk8.jpg
227KB, 976x610px
>>3045796
I don't think they only took 1 hour.
The line job alone takes much more.
I hate undoing strokes when paint, it feels like cheating. Also it could lead to a "happy accident".
>>
>>3045796
>most of these paintings probabaly only took about an hour too

I highly doubt it, but done within a single day, that's plausible
>>
>>3045796
LOL

You try, & post your masterpiece.... I'll wait.
>>
>>3045802
you won't be waiting long let me tell you anon.

okay yea i was exagerating a little with the 1 hour.
>>
File: mm222_ivy_dancer.jpg (136KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
mm222_ivy_dancer.jpg
136KB, 620x400px
>>
File: tumblr_o36swmgiDX1rqkogmo4_1280.png (521KB, 564x457px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o36swmgiDX1rqkogmo4_1280.png
521KB, 564x457px
>>
>>3045796
This is something I feel annoyed about when watching some digital artists work.
Often the artist will make a really quick stroke, undo, make the same stroke, undo, make the same stroke, undo, and so on maybe 5 times per stroke until they get it perfect.
I always think that one must be able to improve their line control, even with the physical disconnect of a tablet. They could maybe start by not insisting on making extremely quick strokes, and actually taking their time to think about each stroke before they make it.
I recall Vilppu saying something along the lines of: A good gesture will look like it was done really fast, but that's just the smooth, flowing nature of the gesture. The drawing was most likely done much more slowly than it looks.
And I guess I should say that at times, I'm also guilty of excessive ctrl+z...
>>
>>3045758
i think you should make an effort to be more honest with yourself.

for example, why did you make this thread? it can't have been because you really think you'll become as good as the golden age's masters by asking /ic/

did you just want to post some pictures that you like and have other people do the same, did you want to discus those guys? did you want resources related to the subject? did you want to rustle some jimmies to provoke impassioned defenses/take downs of the artists in question?

why did you feel the need to couch what is probably genuine desire to engage with other aspiring artists behind a veneer of futility.

these questions aren't important but surely if in something as silly as this you still can't be direct then when it comes to struggling towards your artistic goals you must be weaving a very winding path.

go straight there.
>>
>>3045826
I don't think and I don't pretend I'll be as good as these fabulous artists, but still, I made this thread, and for various reasons, but before anything else, it really is the kind of art I'd like to be able to do.

>did you just want to post some pictures that you like and have other people do the same ?
Yes
>did you want to discus those guys?
Yes
>did you want resources related to the subject?
Yes

I'm someone who only works if he has a goal. Maybe by making this thread and discussing with people, I'll find new interesting things and leads to one day be as good as the masters.

Post more art and books recommendations.
>>
>>3045853
you want to do a water color for me?

i'll give you a goal. I'm looking for a painting of a farm boy with a sword. hes standing in a long grassy field. the sky in blue with some gusty clouds, it's windy. there are dandelions and some purple flowers in the foreground. he gazes at you with his short brown hair caught by the wind. his sword is sharp and his shield is firmly gripped in his left hand. you can see his small farm/cabin the the background. its almost like someone or something is approaching him

Please if you paint this for me you will not regret it.

I would like to see what you can come up with, thank you.
>>
File: Bouguereau_-_Baigneuse.jpg (3MB, 2000x3276px) Image search: [Google]
Bouguereau_-_Baigneuse.jpg
3MB, 2000x3276px
>>3045764
>sucking off Ruan Jia
People don't even see the generic Chinese copies that prop up everywhere more and more.

Doesn't anyone else dislike that burn/highlight brushwork on every Chinese artists work? They often burn/highlight so much of the colour it ends up being pure white and black destroying the image.

They end up using colours that can't even be printed or replicated in real life, only illuminated on your LCD screens for a cheap appeal like a lot of modern digital artists.

Like amateur photographers that blast the contrast for more appeal, these new Chinese artists just copy each other and produce burnt out copies of copies of fantasy imagery.
>>
>>3045871
>>3045872
try and go for a medieval style.
>>
Golden Age generally refers to the Dutch Golden Age.

These are not from the Dutch Golden Age.

git ur shit str8
>>
>>3045920
Rackham was working in an era known as the Golden Age of British Book Illustrators.

There have been multiple golden ages, for multiple mediums and contexts.
>>
File: 20170702_212444-1.jpg (510KB, 900x705px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_212444-1.jpg
510KB, 900x705px
can we go back to the illustrations?
>>
>>3045802
>>3045946

also here anon. i just did this.

It my master piece. The Axeman.
>>
File: bloodbeak.jpg (462KB, 700x610px) Image search: [Google]
bloodbeak.jpg
462KB, 700x610px
>>3045946

about 15 minutes.
>>
>>3045973
"Truly I say to you that the tax-collectors and whores shall go into the kingdom of God before you!"
>>
>>3045872
Study Ruan Jia's work a bit more closely. His values are always in check. The colors don't determine his values.
>>
>>3045872
>They end up using colours that can't even be printed or replicated in real life, only illuminated on your LCD screens
first off, what?
secondly, how is making use of your media in a way that only the specific media you're using allows you to, a bad thing?
And people who copy Ruan Jia (poorly) and abuse his techniques do not discredit his work.
I guess digital art does lend itself to cheap gimmicky artwork, but that doesn't mean it's all you can do with it, and likewise, bad artwork is not confined to this medium.
>>
Really nice art ITT. Just curious though, why can't you guys ever make a thread like this without making it about digital vs traditional or other juvenile crap like that? You come off as so incredibly insecure by doing this. I have honestly not ONCE seen a thread where someone posts traditional art they like without in some form mentioning a digital artist or digital art in general. Why is that?
>>
>>3045758
http://tvtropes.org/
no kidding
>>
>>3046151
nuance is key
>>
>>3045945
Also there was the Golden age of (american) commercial illustration
>>
File: rebeccaguay_plainscommander16.jpg (120KB, 1013x761px) Image search: [Google]
rebeccaguay_plainscommander16.jpg
120KB, 1013x761px
>>3045871
If only I could pint it right now.
My job and schedule doesn't let me do much art, I only have a 3 hours windows every day where I can really concentrate.
It looks like a good exercice, I think I'll try to do something like this every night now.
I'll do it tonight but do not expect anything good, it will be shit.

Should I buy some basic watercolor or practicing with digital is enough ?
>>
>>3045799
CUTE! someone draw them making out.
>>
because /ic/ and everyone here sucks.
>>
>>3046056
Another religious wack job. Btw why u lurking 4chan?
>>
>>3045872
>They end up using colours that can't even be printed or replicated in real life
There are just as many watercolor and oil colors that can't be reproduced on screen, like ultramarine. You're starting from a place of ignorance to shit on artists, which is hilarious and more pathetic.
>>
>>3045758

They weren't actually great. If you don't understand why, work more with your fundamentals.
>>
>>3046296

He's quoting a line relating to the piece, but he's not hypocritical if he was one. If Jesus hung out with criminals and prostitutes, then that anon can talk with NEETs from a Taiwanese finger painting forum.
>>
File: s653552534799824705_p8_i1_w640.png (947KB, 899x640px) Image search: [Google]
s653552534799824705_p8_i1_w640.png
947KB, 899x640px
>>3046310
>They weren't actually great.
I don't care if you find that they weren't great, that's the kind of thing I like.
>>
>>3045872

>complains about generic eastern art
>posts rendered nude posing white woman no#100753

I like them myself, but don't throw stones from a glass house.
>>
File: shalott_harrison2.jpg (763KB, 937x1377px) Image search: [Google]
shalott_harrison2.jpg
763KB, 937x1377px
Florence Harrison is a re-found illustrator from the time. Her work is sublime.
>>
>>3046312
LOL.

That's literally all your insipid post deserves.
>>
Alright here's the real question: Where do you even start? I'd love to learn like they did (or at least try to), but where do you start? Do we have any old manuals? I can't exactly go to Leonardo DaVinci and ask him to tutor me.
>>
>>3045758
Because I'm not good enough and never will be. It would be pointless to post them even as an ideal

All of them are absolutely beautiful, I would even hang some of these in my home if it was the original
>>
>>3046464
To paint like Arthur Rackham? I know a little bit about that - he worked on Bristol, and started with pencil, and then reworked the lines with india ink or sepia, erasing as he went. Then, when that was all dry, he'd flood the page with a color, like sepia, and used a sponge to blot up the paint where he wanted light areas. He'd let that dry completely, then start doing very light washes of color, building it up slowly.

Learning the technique of the masters is just research, just put "Michelangelo technique" into Google, and start there.
>>
>>3046464
I don't get the question, the distinguishing feature of this style seems to be muted colours combined with bold outlines. Medium, I guess, is pencil and water colours or something similar.

Subject matter seems to draw from old myths, poems and faery tales.

Other than that it's bog standard realism, you use the same fundies as for everything else.
>>
>>3046426

Improperly using words that you heard from your SAT prep book doesn't make you smart, just letting you know.
>>
>>3046499
>you talked to smartaly
>>
>>3045920
>>3045945
The golden age of illustration is considered to be from around 1880-1940.
>>
>>3046511

Wow totally btfo, you wanted some Reddit gold too?
>>
>>3046499
Aw, are you butthurt?

Good.
>>
>>3046516
Just shut up, autist. Just shut the fuck up. Nobody cares. The Golden Age Rackham was part of is documented, and just because it doesn't fit your autist worldview doesn't make it not true.

Just shut up.

For the love of god, just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3046523

Not really, just telling you to understand the meaning/connotation. Especially if you didn't use an antiquated term properly and while not recognizing the context behind a piece. Feel free to keep on obsessively refreshing for more replies though.
>>
>>3046528
Take your "Well, achtshually" and shove it up your ass.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/children/academic-and-educational-journals/golden-age-childrens-illustrated-books

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>3046312
my nigga
>>3046056
+1 made me actually read some of the bible
>>
>>3046525
Why did you abort your school education, anon?
>>
>>3046218
>>3045799
/ic/ please dont make me draw it myself
>>
>>3048545
I'd love to help you but I'm too shit to do it.
>>
Finally, a semblance of fine taste on this board
>>
File: dance.jpg (159KB, 669x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dance.jpg
159KB, 669x1000px
What I can say, just study them. Sorround yourself with them. Not with contemporaries. Forget about modernity. You should know, their art reflected their reality, not the twitchy, profit-oriented, mass produced one around us. Though they've certainly seen it coming, at the dawn of 20th century. Something of grandeur of LOTR books is impossible now, there's no sophistication and passion necessary to be found. Just draw the best as you can, don't shy away from boring grind - the talent, if you have a drop of it in you, will not cease for the grind,- and study masters of yore.
>>
>>3048573
And I forgot, most of all, study nature. As tired as this piece of word is, the way I see it, the closer the artist is to the original inspiration, the stronger is his work for it. There are artists, who studied other artists, who studied other artists, and the more they stray away from the original, primordial inspiration, the source, the fountainhead, the more dilluted and vapid their work. Just look for it at the contemporary mainstream comic scene. At the very beginning of this chain, artist studied life. And I'll say even more, study reality. It's a glimpse of reality that gives life to pictures, such as of these old, great masters.
>>
>>3048581
>>3048573
Thanks m8
I started getting material from the old (and dead) artists I like and a lot of nature references.
I'll try to get some watercolor and do as much as I can in traditional since that's how all those masterpieces were done.
>>
>>3046312
ohh shit my bad lol.
>>
>>3046147
Dude, it's 4chan, it's a hive of insecurity, neckbeards, and autists. Everything here degenerates into the same bullshit, because they can't help who they are. It's why this place is too toxic for any real learning to happen. There will always be a neckbeard or tryhard lurking, waiting to shit post, because that's who they are: shitty people.
>>
>>3048587
Most of these illustrations were done with pen and ink and india ink, and watercolor. Learn both. I've been using Bristol to do work like this, it's the best paper - watercolor either bleeds with the ink, or scratches from the nib. I posted earlier about how Rackam worked.
>>
>>3049094
I've been doing ink and watercolor lately, though I'm struggling a bit with the paper, I just bought a sketchbook that handles ink better and also two large sheets of watercolor paper for practice purposes. Heck, I did some calculating and it's way cheaper to buy some loose big sheets than to buy a watercolor block, I don't quite understand why the difference is so big.

But I'm willing to try other things, my biggest issue with the watercolor paper I have now is that it's texture is a bit too rough, how is the texture for Bristol paper?
>>
>>3045758
>why do I never see anything from this era/style on /ic/ ?
because it's hokey bullshit
>>
>>3046516
oh so during post-impressionism, cubism, and surrealism? and which do we remember more fondly, anon? those or these?
>>
>>3049085
>toxic
You're free to leave, you narrow-minded asshole. There are plenty of places that are run like the communist dictatorships that you seem to be such a big fan of.
>>
>>3051162
Block paper is more expensive, because they have to cut it, glue it, and bind it, it's just the extra steps that you're paying for. I buy Arches by the parent sheet, I buy it the way it comes out of the press - mostly because I use 300lb, and that's hard to make into a pad.

Padded watercolor paper is usually machine made, vs. the handmade larger single sheets stuff. I don't mind the machine made stuff, some don't like it.

Textures: in watercolor paper, you have hot press, and cold press. Cold is rougher, with tooth (most likely what you have), and hot is smooth and flat. (What I buy).
In Bristol, you have plate, which is glass smooth, and vellum, which is still smooth, but has some texture to it.

All of these are fine for watercolors. Bristol isn't as good for large washes, it's more suitable for highly detailed work.
>>
>>3051203
Oh, look, someone is upset. SHOCKED, I tell you.

BTW, learn what narrow minded is, kid. It doesn't mean accepting the autistic and spastic behavior found on this site. For every decent poster there is at least 200 like you, shitposting, trying WAY too hard, and talking right out of your ass - thats when you're not trolling. bullying or trying to be a memelord.

I've been coming around here for years, kid, mostly to get reference from the HD forum. But you keep thinking you have any business telling me what to do, you pumped up little toad. Keep blustering ineffectually at me. See what happens - nothing, as usual.
>>
>>3051321
Not the person you're responding to, but it's YOU who's derailing the thread and YOU who's causing the problems with your childish little tantrum. You're a self righteous asshole, so stop being immature and just STOP.

But you won't. Because you can't control yourself.
>>
>>3051330
Wah wah wah.
>>
>>3051321
>kid
nothing personnel though
>>
>>3051330
Make me stop, you pompous little worm.
>>
File: image.jpg (247KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247KB, 768x1024px
There is a kind who is pure in his own eyes, Yet is not washed from his filthiness.
>>
>>3051318
What I've been trying with watercolor doesn't get very wet, with my tiny budget I really can't afford to go crazy with paints so I'm still experimenting carefully and sparingly.
The sketchbook I bought isn't meant specifically for watercolor either but the lady at the counter assured me that it's okay for watercolor if you don't work too wet so I'm going to try that, I didn't ask it she just mentioned it as she apparently had some experience with it herself.

I find it really difficult though, I'm running a bit dry when it comes to creativity too so I just stick to fundies practice for now but on the other hand all the artwork in this thread are really inspiring to at least keep going.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.