[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Developing new concept art ideas

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: tldw2.png (484KB, 1091x1383px) Image search: [Google]
tldw2.png
484KB, 1091x1383px
I want to share a method that I think is useful for coming up with ideas if you're ever stuck.

I wouldn't claim that it's useful for all creative pursuits, but I do think it's generally good for establishing the basics of your concept image. It doesn't take long, and it can give you something really concrete to work with so you aren't having to generate something from the vague recesses of memory.

Basically, you're breaking down an image into a set of descriptive categories whose parts can be replaced with new ones that you come up with. The image explains the process in a little more detail, and (if anyone cares for it) I can post a tutorial video explaining the process in action and the kind of thinking that goes into it.

I don't know if this method is already obvious to people, but I found it really useful and would have loved knowing about it in the past, so I thought I'd post it.
>>
Nice work anon, thanks for sharing
>>
>>3045030
I think this might help me alot more than I would think. Ty anon
>>
pretty good, thanks anon,
got any other ones?
>>
>>3045112
I don't really have any other creative methods that I've established general rules for, but I do have a couple of notepad files that are very useful for the process I posted above.

template:
textuploader com/dkrsv

art categories:
textuploader com/dk535

(^copy and paste into their own notepad files and save)

The first link takes you to a template that lets you conveniently type in whatever categories or descriptions you establish. I use it every time I use the method in the op.

The second link takes you to a large list of categories that you can consult when you can't think of what to break your image down into. It's basically a huge list of stuff I ripped off wikipedia- including info about landforms, buildings, vehicles, etc.

If you aren't sure what one of the things listed is, like a "fjord" in the landforms section, then I would suggest typing in 'fjord' into google images to get a picture of it in your head. The more that you care about making convincing designs, the more willing you should be to learn about each variation that's possible.
>>
Can u post the video if u have it made already.
If not then don't worry about it
>>
File: 2017-07-02 11_05_31.jpg (299KB, 1845x935px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-02 11_05_31.jpg
299KB, 1845x935px
Another method.
>>
>>3045030
i feel like you have to be careful with a lot of 'this is how to come up with ideas' type methods. i think it's what you might call an 'abductive' thing usually, so trying to make it into a more 'logical' process may well make creativity harder rather than easier(the art kind of creativity anyway)

nothing against your method or anything op. just a general type of observation.
>>
>>3045398
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMhFyKBBdbI

>>3045432
I share your intuition. I also mention in the description of my video (and should have mentioned in the infographic) that this method might not get the result you're looking for when used on images where the style IS the substance. One's personal style is an abstract thing that can't really be pinned down to a single process or rule, so I'm definitely sympathetic toward tentative positions.
>>
feng zhu has a good video about this also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fww9L7XH8Qg
>>
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the good content op.
>>
figure i'd bump this so more people can see
>>
This is what ic should be about, good shit man.
>>
Good content anon
>>
bumping this one last time so more see it if they need it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.