[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i cant afford an art school, what do

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

File: Christian-Bale-Charisma.jpg (40KB, 580x372px) Image search: [Google]
Christian-Bale-Charisma.jpg
40KB, 580x372px
i cant afford an art school, what do
>>
>>3044539
die
>>
>>3044544
I was expecting this answer because I know you are mostly useless... well, not going to bother with this.
>>
>>3044539
Art school is obsolete. Teach yourself via the wonders of the interwebs.
>>
>>3044566
Finally we get the truth.
>>
>>3044539

You don't need an art school. Just do Peter Hans new book + Scott Robertson book and you will be good. Then, maybe look at doing some courses from learn squared and picking up 3d software.
>>
If you feel like you would excel with a teacher, look into local art lessons. I know my town cheap figure drawing, painting, etc. classes that are open to the public. Failing that, you could also try and find a mentor that will guide you.
>>
>>3044539
I go to an art school, and desu its not necessary. You're not really taught anything you can't learn on your own. The benefits of course are building relationships with your teachers (who might help you get an internship) and friends and who might also get into the industry later in their careers.
>>
>>3044566
>>3044576
>>3044605
How do you learn without a school in a way that it actually sticks to you
>>
>>3044539
>what do
>be greatful you won't make the same mistake I did
>>
>>3044607

That probably more your work ethic than anything.

My favourite thing is Pomodoro technique, set a timer for 20 minutes, open a page of Scott Robertson and do that for 20 minutes. Then 3 minute break.

There is a lot of books you could read on it like Deep Work.
>>
>>3044539
i handed bachelor degree of art and i think it was a big mistake of my life. well, not really, in term of academical/art making knowledge i can taught by myself without go to the art school

art world is a big-bad-wild-cruel world out there anon, which 'art' do u want to pursue? i could say the contemporary art world is the wildest
>>
>>3044633
Yeah but what about lessons, in schools you got curriculum and in general it has a direction to go to.

How do I figure out what to do next? I mean, there's so much out there that it's hard to hold on one thing and learn it in an efficient way. That's why I wanted to go to a school. I get nothing from random learning.
>>
>>3044576
Peter Hans has a book what
Where has that been all my life
>>
>>3044539
blog?
>>
>>3044566
doubles confirm
>>
>>3044706
You won't be a successful artist if you can't self regulate.

Find art similar to what you want to do, then start picking apart how they do it.

Chances are you're a total beginner so just start with understanding how perspective works until it becomes intuitive, then move on to how light works, then figures and anatomy, then design
>>
I can't really grasp how people learn drawing without having a teacher in school or mentor, whatever. The point is that sure, you can just draw but efficient learning is not really there. I have been drawing for years now and I still can't draw, I am better than a beginner on /ic/ but nothing that good. I wasted so much time on doing random shit that I don't want to do this anymore. I can't pay for a school either so it seems like there's no purpose for me to continue pursuing good art.
>>
>>3044758
Read the books the instructors write and then post your work and actually take the feedback people provide you.

And draw from life a lot.

Drawing for years now =/= productive goal oriented drawing for hours everyday.
>>
>>3044763
>Read the books the instructors write

In what order? This is what I am talking about, you have to figure everything out to the point where you are your own teacher, which doesn't make any sense. You can't teach yourself stuff you don't know. I don't know how to learn efficiently.
>>
>>3044795
Look at the sticky?

It's not about efficient learning. It's mostly just mileage and intuition while being self critical.

Sure you don't get there as quickly but you also don't end up 6 figures in debt.

Post your art and people will tell you what you need to work on.
>>
>>3044806
sticky is trash though, i thought recommending the sticky is just a meme
>>
>>3044539
Go into politics.
>>
>>3044836
Do you understand how perspective, anatomy, color, edges, and light work? Okay then study narrative, composition, design. Okay now make a portfolio
>>
>>3044539
>He doesn't get pussy cuz autism
>So he masturbates
BUT
>He can't afford art school
>He can't self taught.
NGMI
>>
>>3044539
Shtickity dickity doo
>>
>>3044912
The only thing I can do is measure stuff and copy from life in general. Thats not much.
>>
>>3044934
wow, sounds like you don't need the sticky then. kill yourself moron
>>
>>3044605
Another thing to keep in mind is the marketing and "branding" side of art. No one has to be a master salesman but it doesn't hurt to watch a few Lynda videos on how to present a portfolio professionally or observe how other (respectful) working artists present their site and work.

>>3044795
Well, what specifically do you like drawing and want to draw more of? I think this came from Howard Pyle: make the art you want to make right now and look at what can be patched up and improved with more/better reference and more practice. What you study and try to get better at will be relevant to what you want to make
>>
File: 1488625181177.jpg (28KB, 203x275px) Image search: [Google]
1488625181177.jpg
28KB, 203x275px
>>3044605
This tbqh. If my parents didn't threaten to disown me if I never graduated from college (any college) I probably wouldn't be in one. Cost of attending is much lower than the national average for me so at least the debt after school won't be crushing (as much).

Many times I get irritated because I want to work on personal work or make more progress reading through an instructional book I'm interested in. But I can't because I have to finish work for school instead and it's a lot less interesting or really not that relevant to what I want to do.

Sometimes I think it's slightly better that I am attending because I'm exposed to artists and potential influences (like some mandatory history classes that I ended up liking a lot) that I probably wouldn't have encountered in my life or just passed by otherwise. Many of the profs are too much on the nice side with grades, but on occasion I've gotten the prof who'll bust their students' balls with critiques and I see faster improvement than if they weren't there. And it really could be much worse, I shouldn't be a whiner about getting to go to college I guess.
>>
Practice and get good on your own
>>
get some good books to study from
vilppu, harold speed, hogarth, bridgman, goldfinger, robert hale, richard schmid, greuze the draftsman etc.
>>
>>3044934
okay so go study books on perspective so you start thinking 3d then friend.
>>
File: 2.jpg (58KB, 462x317px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
58KB, 462x317px
>>3044934
>>3045418
after you've gotten a firm grasp on thinking 3d, drawing through the form, and perspective its time to get a better understanding of value and rendering.

after this we move on to figures. conversely you can do figures first, just pick whichever one is more appealing for you.
>>
File: 3.jpg (1MB, 2727x2545px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1MB, 2727x2545px
>>3044934
>>3045420
I'm not great with figures and most of my experience has been intuitive but I've heard these books recommended, I specifically have gone through the vilppu video lectures and found them very useful.

At this point you should be drawing from life whenever possible. the amount you're drawing directly correlates with how quickly you will get good (probably peaking at 4-8 hours with diminishing returns after)

1 hour a day = good in 10 years
4-6 hours a day = good in 3 years
>>
>>3044934
>>3045427
>>3045420

At this point you better hopefully be able to self-teach because it gets harder from here.

Now that you have the basics, its time to really start thinking about composition, and narrative. everyone's path splits at this point as you find what you want to get into!
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (296KB, 951x631px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
296KB, 951x631px
>>3044934
>>3045434
You did it! you're now an intermediate artist capable of tackling client needs!

At this point you realize 2d is dying in its own way and begrudgingly learn 3d modelling in a desperate hope to stay relevant
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 191x264px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 191x264px
I've read every book in this thread, but nothing compares to this book if you want to get good. It has taught me how to practice empirically effectively. I've learned more in three months of applying its ideas, than three years of applying things from art books.
>>
>>3044539

Learn on your own, totally doable. Get yourself a copy of the Dynamic Bible, felt tip liners a bunch of sktcbooks and get grinding. It's both fun, and one of the best ways to improve quickly.
>>
>>3045652
Is Dynamic Bible really that good? What's so good about it?
>>
>>3044539
>>3044566
This

I go to a regular college and one of my professors had gone to Cal-Arts. He told me that it was the same as what is being taught where I'm at, the only difference is the amount of people you talk to. He has some connections with people that work in the animation, movie, and even photography world. He had a small meeting with one of his friends with us in class and told us this:
"Basically don't be afriad to go out there. What you have is already more than enough to get started. Sure people like me got to go to a fancy college, but your teacher also has good connections. Every industry is like that, talk to people and put more effort on your work to stand out from the rest."

More or less but the jist is the same.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 700x3861px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 700x3861px
>>3044795
>>
File: 2.jpg (1MB, 700x3540px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1MB, 700x3540px
>>3044795
>>
>>3046003

Tthanks, anon.
>>
>>3044539
read the sticky
>>
>>3045474
where can i download the pdf though
>>
>>3048537
libgen.io
>>
>people keep saying how pointless art school is
>look for job openings
>"degree in fine arts/illustration/design required"

So do i just send in my portfolio hoping that it`s good enough?
>>
>>3044706
There's plenty of online resources. If you really want a school type thing, schoolism has tons of lessons for like 15 bucks a month.
draw-a-box and ctrl+paint is completely free
did you even research anything?
>>
>>3045474
How did that book help you with drawing in particular?
>>
>>3044795
Sounds like you're worried about lack of structure. That's a valid concern, that's how people get into "analysis paralysis" where they just bookmark resources but never start because they don't know what order to do stuff in or where to start. It was the same with me for programming too.

I recommend drawabox.com, it has structure and people make good progress with it.
>>
>>3051910
>That's a valid concern, that's how people get into "analysis paralysis" where they just bookmark resources but never start because they don't know what order to do stuff in or where to start
Yes, exactly.
>drawabox
what if I am too good for it?
>>
>>3052005
>what if I'm too good for it?

Wtf kind of question is that? Just fucking do it and get off your high horse
>>
>>3052005
What do you mean? If you're too good for it, at that point you shouldn't have any issues with structure, just continue refining your skills by drawing over and over again.

The author of drawabox writes about what to do f you think you're too good, and the answer is do the exercises from the beginning anyway. You're likely shittier than you think you are. I thought I was good before i came to /ic/ and realized i was complete shite

Just start somewhere, anywhere is better than worrying about how to start and never actually starting
>>
>>3052033
>>3052051
I am too good for it meaning I understand what's out there and I feel like I don't have to do it again.
>>
>>3052075
CGMA, Robotpencil, Schoolism, SmarterARTschool.
>>
>>3051910
THIS. So much this, I'm getting desperate, every day I wake up wanting to draw, I sit at my desk and I start panicking because I don't know what to do. It's the biggest obstacle I have to face, really.

I tried Drawabox and I done the first part, other Anons here told me it's the only relevant part there.
>>
>>3044607
Think and don't be an idiot. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>3052130
>I tried Drawabox and I done the first part, other Anons here told me it's the only relevant part there.
what, just lesson 1?
damn it.
>>
Take up prostitution.
>>
>>3044539
Art School is generally a waste of time. There are few good ones but others are mostly garbage. My friend went to art school. He wanted us to go together but that shit was expensive. Also I went two years prior to annual end of the year exibitions where every student that is attending shows 3-4 of their best works. And it was all horrible modern art garbage with 2-4 decent people who actually tried to paint. After 3 years his stuff actually became worse.

Reasons not to go into art school or academy of arts.
1st. You will waste time on pointless classes you can't skip. You need to pass those classes or you will fail a year.
2nd. Those classes are pointless because they are giving you useless information. Instead of learning about renaissance painters and how they did they stuff you will only be learning about names of the artists, names of the works and dates when they were created. You are learning those as an historian not as an artists. For example. Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, Sistine Chapel ceiling, 1505–12. Now repeat this for all the artists and every work they produced. Or how I like to call it Italian Renaissance artists telephonebook.
3rd. Time you could spend on drawing will be spent on studying for exams for these useless classes.
4th. If you are in art school that is infested with modern art expect you won't learn anything constructive. Only things you will learn is those you learn by yourself on your free time.
5th. If instructors are bad, and there is a big chance they are, they won't teach you. They will say some basic shit that isn't helpful in any way. For example, You drawn left arm badly. Badly how? Anatomy is wrong? Shading is wrong? Proportions are wrong? How do I fix it? You won't give you answers unless you are insistent to milk every single information out of them
>>
>>3052693
6th. If it is infected with modern art you won't learn anything constructive. Modern art hates draftsmanship. They love expression. You will either start drawing shit like them or you will become an social outcast.

My suggestion is to take up some branch of work where you can actually make a living and paint and draw in your spare time.

Just go through recommended books in the sticky and look online for tutorials, videos and art that inspires you. You will actually improve more that way.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.