[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yusuke Murata is a GOD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 21

File: b9310070b90fca52d013cbcf6afddb23.jpg (213KB, 699x1004px) Image search: [Google]
b9310070b90fca52d013cbcf6afddb23.jpg
213KB, 699x1004px
I see all this hype around KJG, Ruan Jia, Yoh Yoshinari, Krenz Cushart and Nosebro but why isn't Yusuke Murata not getting mentioned? This guy is literally a master when it comes to making comics. I mean how long do you guys think it would take to achieve this godlike level? At least a decade in my opinion.

In this fight scene he is literally animating on paper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunLm5J2tCA

And look at the drastic remakes from the original ONE manga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8x63hnlxL0

What I find to be most impressive about his art is how he's able to combine detail and movement together. I mean usually when I see detailed artist, their work might not be stiff but they have nowhere near that animators have, likewise when I see artists who have lots of energy in their drawing, their art generally is simplified.

Thoughts?
>>
stop posting
>>
>>3043945
You're either blind or retarded
Murata is good but he is not in the same league as the other artists you mentioned except for the meme one.
>>
>>3043976
you're hopeless
>>
>nosebro

is this some kind of meme now to mention this kids name for no reason?
>>
>>3043945
He's just a decent artist that apes capeshit, he's good by shonen standards but certainly nothing groundbreaking.
>>
>>3044014
I have never seen a western capeshit artist who comes even close to Murata or most other shonen mangaka for that matter. And I even like comic books and am a fan of lots of western comic book artists, but their ability to depict action, movement, dynamic panel flow, inking that accentuates action etc is just not on the same level at all.
>>
>nosebro
stopped reading just there
>>
>>3043976
>Murata not in the same league as the artist I mentioned
>Mentioned Krenz Cushart
>Krenz Cushart did studies of Murata

Hmmm...
>>
>>3043976
Not OP but out of those artists, Murata and Yoshinari are objectively by far the most skilled and established in their own field. KJG is famous for doing demonstrations and sketches, but by trade he too is a comic book artist and in that regard he is way below Murata.

Krenz and Ruanjia are digital illustrators, none of them come even remotely close to the skill level of KJG, Murata and Yoshinari.
>>
>>3044035
You can't compare illustrators, to concept artists, to mangaka/comic artists. They're all very different trades that specialize in different skillsets.

Most illustrators and concept artists know little to fuck all about inking and hatching and panelling. Vice versa, most mangaka aren't very great at rendering or working with paints, color mixing, etc... Likewise, composition in comics is more akin to that of Cinematography, and composition for paintings is very different. Yes, there is some cross over, buy ultimately it's apples vs. oranges. Hell, even between illustrators and concept artists. CA's are more focused on design, and are valued more for their ideas, and their speed, rather than their draftmanship. An illustrator or painter on the other hand works at a much slower pace. The type of work you'd be hired to do for promotional art, or a MtG card for example takes 10s of hours, which is unfeasable in a Concept Art environment.

Again, different skillsets. Murata is god tier at making comics, and he excels at using ink, comparing him to a painter who has likely never touched ink, is irrational. Murata's skillset is what you get when you're very focused in what you wanna do, and skills you wanna master to excel at that. It's imo, better to compare him to other artists of similar trade, Fran Frazetta, KJG, Muria, etc...
>>
>>3044048
@OP
If your goal is to make comics, then by all means, pour your heart and soul into studying Murata, and many others.

I know I do. Murata is indeed in the top tier of the trade.

Just some personal recommendations btw:
Yusuke Murata
Kentaro Muria
Oh Great!
Takehiko Inoue
Yasuhiro Nightow
Akira Hiramoto
Takeshi Obata
Naoki Urasawa
Yoshikadu Hamada

I'd also say look into western comics, there's much to learn there as well. The styles differ, but having variety will help develop your style better. I'm not too familiar with westerners too much though aside from the classics like Frank Frazetta, Bernie Wrightston, and Manara.

I'd also say look at peers of a more amateur level to motivate yourself. On a personal level, I find Whyt Manga, and Nikolas Draper to be good motivators, as they're JUST above my level, so it helps give me an immediate goal to reach.
>>
>>3043945
I feel like he doesn't have much imagination for anything else besides the hottest girls in all of manga history.
>>
>>3044058
>the hottest girls in all of manga history.
What?
>>
>>3044049
This is the kind of insight I was looking for. I'm aware of most of those artists, I really like hamada's work. I think it's interesting how you say whytmanga is an amateur even though he's a self proclaimed professional artist(which is technically true) but not in the sense that he's on the same skill level as your average pro level mangaka.
>>
>>3044049
>ManlySpirit !PXqlAPRwwk

Stop namefagging otherwise people will pretend to be you like Nosebro
>>
File: VUykI4o.gif (1MB, 547x922px) Image search: [Google]
VUykI4o.gif
1MB, 547x922px
>>3044029
Yes, the keyword here is "did".
Digital or traditional, Murata wouldn't even come close to the color composition and enviromental art of Krenz now.

>>3044035
KJG is way more accurate about proportions and perspective than Murata. He's also way, way faster and his subject variety is much greater too. All Murata has on him is inking and panel composition.
As for Krenz and Ruanjia being digital artists: Like I said Murata could absolutely not do what they are doing, no matter the tools.

Murata is certainly a good artist but comparing him to the likes of Yoshinari is absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>3044105
>As for Krenz and Ruanjia being digital artists: Like I said Murata could absolutely not do what they are doing, no matter the tools.

Neither can they.
>>
>>3043945
This isnt even an original thought anon....
He's probably the best in his genre but I there are plenty of better artist out there...now as far as cartooning is concerned (Direction/choreography and Page layout) he might be the best
But makes manga, so hes inherently just a bad artist in general
>>
>>3044231
>But makes manga, so hes inherently just a bad artist in general
why does manga trigger you so hard?
>>
>>3044082
He's a tripfag, though. You can't impersonate him.
>>
>>3044234
Manga is a template

One that holds so many great artists back both technically and professionally
I love anime/manga (seen 200+ seasons to date) but as art its just shit m8
>>
>>3044254
That doesn't make any sense.

But just in case, what do you consider a preferential alternative?
>>
File: dude wheres your argument.jpg (92KB, 480x688px) Image search: [Google]
dude wheres your argument.jpg
92KB, 480x688px
>>3044665
Umm actual creativity.....

...next question
>>
>>3043988
I'm guessing OP likes to make fun of him since Nosebro thinks so highly of his own work when most people see it as mediocre
>>
>>3043976
Not gonna make it detected.
>>
>>3044734
>hur dur I have every reason to like him but he makes manga so I think he's bad
>drops "actual creativity" without explaining what the hell I want. Jackson Pollock?
>dude where's your argument
I don't know what it is about /ic/ that draws autists like you who don't know how to fucking use an imageboard. You just threw out bait and when someone actually responds to you and asks what you think, you don't even explain your stance or engage with the discussion.
>>
File: ok nigga.jpg (5KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
ok nigga.jpg
5KB, 252x200px
>>3044799
Its fucking simple (like you)
Manga/anime is a template its shortcut through the middle of the creative process

Its a great place to start but dont get STUCK there
When you ask stupid questions you get answers like that
Im guessing your one of those anime artists which is fine but I suggest start you working away from that
>>
>>3044810
Your bait is too obvious.
>>
File: 1476351607715.png (271KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476351607715.png
271KB, 624x480px
>>3044810
Right, right. So what is the end goal for this creative process? Jackson Pollock? In what way would Murata improve his art by eschewing anime? Nevermind that Murata looks like Murata and not really like what typical anime looks like in the first place, I'm asking you to explain your opinions on what you expect the goals of what artist should have. How do you know Murata hasn't decided anime is what he wants?

You know we also have a stylisation thread, right? Where people who already understand the fundamentals try to stylise their work to have an effect?
>>
File: EPSON037.png (312KB, 693x961px) Image search: [Google]
EPSON037.png
312KB, 693x961px
>>3044813
Well I don't owe anyone an education but we need to talk about the stagnant state of western art I believe the east is inadvertently suppressing the creativity of promising youth

I used to make the shit too but I escaped what im calling the "JapTrap" ex: some shit i wrote as a kid (I WAS there dont think i cant sympathize)
>>
>>3044058
You have no idea what you're talking about. His spaceship was insane and that's just an example. Murata is as "creative" as you can be.
>>
>>3044058
You have no idea what you're talking about. His spaceship was insane and that's just an example. Murata is as "creative" as you can be.
>>
File: Murata.gif (2MB, 440x320px) Image search: [Google]
Murata.gif
2MB, 440x320px
>>3044105
>Murata wouldn't even come close to the color composition and enviromental art of Krenz now
Jesus Christ anon.
>>
>>3044818
To generate creative shit anon...."Ed Edd and Eddy" for example
Not having to think about the physical characteristics of your characters is Bad for art

its just bad art if I saw a mona lisa quality susumiya haruhi id think "oh thats cool" but I wouldnt be moved at all
Because Ive seen that same character model in every other character of that series
clannad (hell clamp ANYTHING)
Its just not art to me I like It but Grow up guys
>>
>>3044825
Gaht Eeem damn I didnt realize that came together that way any more of these?
>>
>>3044827
Not him and this is the stuppidest fucking thing I've ever read, the cool kid finished that is "Grow up guys" just makes it even the more pedantic and retarded.

Post what you would consider a "peak artist", then, because if you don't think someone like Murata isn't one of the greatest artist alive right now then you must like quite literally the gods of the visual medium.
>>
>>3044833
He has some of the most potential but hes not doing anything new hes just drawing an anime characters just like a million other clowns out here its the same character a million times
If you wanted to interpret that as cool thats fine anon

As a cartoonist not an illustrator Lienil Yuu Is the best Ive ever seen Ive seen Illustrators make comics It doesnt come together quite as well but there is a difference between a good sequential artist and a good illustrator hes got the mind for it I believe his talents are wasted on your interests and societal conventions
>>
>>3044827
I think Murata has thought about the physical characteristics of his characters. I don't really see why Ed, Edd and Eddy would be creative and OPM wouldn't be, but I haven't seen the former so whatever. I don't really consider Murata to be on the same level as webcomic weeaboos, and I don't think that he's trapped in an anime look. Murata's style and approach is his own.
This sounds more like your personal tastes rather than what is art and what isn't art.
>>
File: EPSON035.jpg (3MB, 2550x3510px) Image search: [Google]
EPSON035.jpg
3MB, 2550x3510px
>>3044839
Leinil Yu (ALways butcher his name)
>>
File: Yusuke Emoji.png (250KB, 432x313px) Image search: [Google]
Yusuke Emoji.png
250KB, 432x313px
>>3044839
>hes just drawing an anime characters just like a million other clowns out here
>As a cartoonist not an illustrator Lienil Yuu Is the best Ive ever seen Ive seen
>googles
>it's all capeshit
>>
File: Mermaid.jpg (2MB, 1687x2095px) Image search: [Google]
Mermaid.jpg
2MB, 1687x2095px
>>3044843
Again Im a weeb

you fucking weeb
>>
>>3044839
>Lienil Yuu
>better than Murata

You have to be kidding, he's a fantastic artist, but he's not better.
>>
>>3044851
Only because Murata's
limited by the manga conventions
hes only barely creating anything...
its beautiful but he may as well be doing fan art for osamu

manga is a template hes abusing it if art were a writing assignment he could turn in the most beautiful piece of literature ever written but hed still fail by
plagiarism
>>
File: manga.jpg (2MB, 2504x1681px) Image search: [Google]
manga.jpg
2MB, 2504x1681px
>>3044864
>limited by the manga conventions
Like what? If anything manga is as free as you get when it comes to drawn storytelling, here in the west we have nothing succeed but capeshit. It really seems like you just have a personal vendetta against manga for some reason.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 3971x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 3971x1600px
>>3044864
You might as well say that >>3044842 is fan art for Moebius. If originality is what you want then maybe you should be sucking Rothko's dick rather than Leinil Yu? I fail to see how you've seen 200 season of anime and still think that all anime art looks like Tezuka.
How bout you go back to your capeshit, which to me all looks the same, and I can go back to manga, where Murata clearly doesn't look like any of his contemporaries?
>>
File: IMG_20170701_225617.jpg (894KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_225617.jpg
894KB, 2592x1944px
>>3044873
>>3044873
>>3044873
>>3044873
>>
>>3044876
>just because I own manga that it means I cannot have shitty and stupid opinions without a single reasonable argument behind them

You proved nothing.
>>
File: IMG_20170701_225547.jpg (1017KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_225547.jpg
1017KB, 2592x1944px
>>3044873
i likehow you guys try and get all psycho analytical when you dont know what else to say
comicsi own vs manga i own
>>
>>3044878
Dont say dumb shit like oh hes just a hater when ive mentioned before that I love it

lemme put it this way..... lets make a grading system!
3free points!
3 points for technique execution
4 for design/creativity

he gets a 6/10 he fails
>>
>>3044880
What the fuck are you even saying, do you speak english motherfucker? The question is simple: Explain the so-called limitations that you have as an artist by drawing a manga. That's it, all you have to do, nigger.
>>
>>3044876
>>3044879
Nice, this isn't bait anymore. You are literally retarded. You have bought so much manga and have wasted so many hours watching anime you don't consider to be art. You know that if you like it, you can consider it art? Maybe read some Scott McCloud to ease your conscience?
>>3044880
>lets make a grading system!
>3free points!
ohohohohoh, oh no. oh dios mio. What the hell are you talking about. Do you even know what you want out of art?
>>
File: betterstopthatshitrightnowanon.gif (507KB, 492x370px) Image search: [Google]
betterstopthatshitrightnowanon.gif
507KB, 492x370px
>>3044883
theres a precedence a standard that is easy to abide
which is why anime and manga is the go to approach for newer artists theres too little room to fall (not that HE would) Im sure if hed apply himself differently he could do some great things (Obviously I dont want him to stop I AM a fan If you couldnt tell)
but as for the conventions
the obvious lack of color
unoccupied white space bias (the fact that so much of it is acceptable that even he wont occupy it if he doesn't feel like it that day)
The unoccupied black space bias (same thing)
I understand HE has time constraints but like i before if this was a test....
those god aweful speedlines uuuugh even as a kid i thought that was just foul wast of so many good panels just scribbling lines over your characters because you cant express movement the right way

Cute attitude btw anon
>>
File: IMG_20170407_204630.png (256KB, 679x757px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170407_204630.png
256KB, 679x757px
>>3044889
Thats actually my third collection
(smallest one)

I try to expose myself to shit......
>>
>>3043945
>godlike
Maby if he didn't have same face syndrome
>>
>>3044825
What? That's detailed but the color composition isn't on Krenz's level
>>
>>3044978
I think it's because all the character designs in OPM were done by ONE, Eyeshield 21 had lots of unique faces ranging from realism to cartoons.
>>
Yusuke Murata should be making his own stuff instead of re-drawing OPM, it's a shame
>>
>>3044892
thopugh your altitude is kinda absolutionist.

lack of color? limited printing quality vs vs vs all these are no different then limitations artist faced through out the history. limited materials, limited pigments.

limitations are the reason tkat makes a medium shine up.

an artist endgoal is not to make sometinh "perfect" and not give a shit about what medium he is using. that is like the most boring way to look at what art is. its redundant.
>>
>>3043945
Murata is up there in the top as skill goes, but nobody gonna reach Katsuhiro Otomo any time soon, guy makes KJG look like an amateur.
>>
How many assistants did he have? Just remember seeing a few of his backgrounds and they were ""just"" modern buildings detailed at some extreme autistic levels.
>>
>>3045152
Meant to quote
>>3045147
>>
>>3045114
He can't. And it would never be anywhere as good as OPM anyway.
>>
Murata's great, but he's ultimately just another workhorse in an industry/country filled to the brim with them. Hard to stand out when you and your peers are culturally pressured to give it your all.

Also, I don't get how every manga/comic debate has some people falling into the trap of bickering and obsessing over dynamism, stylistic quirks and egregious amounts of detail like those are the sole arbiters of good sequential art. It's like fighting over which movies have the the most elaborate stunts or the most seamless uses of CGI: They're eye candy. It's almost as if most people aren't even aware of the mundane aspects of comic storytelling (conservation of detail, character acting, pacing) that separate the over-produced chaff from the interesting stuff.
>>
>>3045217
name the interesting stuff vs over-produced chaff
>>
>>3045121
well the medium he happebs to be using has a lower ceiling
Redundant anon?
The hell are you on molly?
wantsumfuk?

You know a manga artist who WOULD get a couple of those creativity design points
?
oh great, takeshi obata deviate just enough from the standard to deserve them
>>
>>3043945
Not all of those artists are comparable, because they focus on different things. An artist who actively draws manga has a completely different work schedule and pace compared to someone who only does illustrations or concept art.
Regardless, Murata is definitively among the best contemporary manga artists. Sure, his style can be considered fairly mainstream, but his command of perspective, form and sense of depth is almost unparalleled, especially when you consider how fast he works and how he can churn out detailed, high quality art on every page.
Also, despite his mainstream style, I would say he's a complete master at it, and often combines styles that often seem to belong to different genres, yet still fit together perfectly. This is evident both in Eyeshield and One-Punch Man. On top of that, he's great at composition and creating dynamic, cinematic scenes.

>>3045147
Katsuhiro Otomo is good, but in my personal opinion, that I know many people are going to dispute, his composition is pretty boring. I read Akira over a decade ago, and I recall endless pages of destroyed cityscapes and highly detailed buildings... but they were so boring to look at. It was the same landscape every single time.
The manga itself was also a drag to read and completely lacked direction and focus.

>>3045217
>Also, I don't get how every manga/comic debate has some people falling into the trap of bickering and obsessing over dynamism, stylistic quirks and egregious amounts of detail like those are the sole arbiters of good sequential art. It's like fighting over which movies have the the most elaborate stunts or the most seamless uses of CGI:

That's an idiotic argument, considering One-Punch Man's genre and focus. I'll admit a lot of anime and manga focuses way too much on exaggerated, stylized bullshit to the point where it becomes dull and predictable, but Murata does not belong in this category.
>>
File: supper F.png (3MB, 1894x2274px) Image search: [Google]
supper F.png
3MB, 1894x2274px
>>3045289
Its really just his anatomy desu and he has a lot of range as an artist(which is more than I can say about most mangaka

>>3045217
Your talking about some subjective things man
your tastes are too difficult to quantify as there are about 7 billion too many variables to to come to any quantifiable conclusions where tastes are concerned
Not just that character pacing conservation of detail its not a horror/mystery its a gag
even if it weren't Murata is just an artist ONE's running that show
>>
>>3045300
His anatomy is just a bonus. His primary strengths as an artist are composition, perspective and the ability to accurately portray form even in the most dynamic of scenes. He's just solid across the board.
>>
File: otomo-6.jpg (371KB, 700x1033px) Image search: [Google]
otomo-6.jpg
371KB, 700x1033px
>>3045289
Kasuhiro otomo is Actually one of the few people (imo) to completely utilize the medium of comics to its full potential.
>(That being said; while Akira is his most recognizable/influential work it is actually a bit of a low point in his storytelling and paneling.)
Check out Domu or some of short stories for more interesting compositions
>>
>>3044892
>he could do some great things
Post something that would consider a "great thing", then.
>>
>>3045495...anything Leinil Yuu has done
contemporary art
>>
>>3045349
Domu is hands down the greatest comic I have ever read in every aspect. It kind of feels like time has forgotten Otomo, the success of Akira overshadows all of his other works. His best short films were much greater than the Akira adaptation, I think he truly is a master of the short story.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.