[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Timesinking

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: ruan jia sketchbooks.jpg (110KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ruan jia sketchbooks.jpg
110KB, 960x720px
How many hours do you put into art each day, or each week? How long does it take you to fill a sketchbook?

I saw this video recently and the "this guy fills a sketchbook in a month. this guy fills and sketchbook in a WEEK" thing got me interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2w4MS67Fno

I know the time isn't as important as what you actually do with it, what you learn or think about, but I'm curious just how much time people on here put into things.
And also how much time or output you know pros do or did when they were grinding. I've heard about Kim Jung Gi filling a big stack of pages every day when he was still in school, or the FZD students drawing themselves into carpal tunnel.

I work very slowly, and I'd like to know what kind of paces other people are getting through paper at.
>>
>>3043622

8 hours. It's my job.

It takes forever to fill a sketchbook now because by the time I get home I don't even want to look at a pencil.
>>
>>3043622
I mostly work digital so it takes a while to go through sketchbooks. I'm trying to get into it more now though to strengthen my draftsmanship, and have a bit under a sketchbook in a month maybe. It's tough to fill them up when I work full time and also am busy doing paintings.

I think the whole thing of grinding hours that /ic/ proposes is a bit silly and not entirely necessary. You start to get diminishing returns since you can't focus as well after long periods of work. 1 or 2 hours in a day of really good practice is better than mindlessly drawing for 4 or 5 hours.
>>
like 12 minutes
>>
>>3043628
I think some of the less mindful grinding can be useful if you're trying to put out more finished pieces, especially if you want to rival the chinese rendermonkeys. But you're right that it's harder to focus. I try to have the early hours in the day for being actively creative, then learning in the middle, and then later on when my mind is switching off a bit I can practice some rendering or general painting.
>>
File: image.jpg (226KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226KB, 1000x667px
3 1/2 pages per day isn't impossible if you just clear the bar and play catchup on weekends. It sounds like a great learning exercise. https://youtu.be/ZJEgcTEZx_M
>>
File: IMG_20170630_223754.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170630_223754.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
I have roughly 1800 pages (or 3600 counting double sides) worth of drawings over 3 years, not including a little over a thousand digital sketches.

Once, I went a month without making art; And one day I spent around 16 hours drawing. But on average I would say I spend around 2-3 hours a day. However, if I were to only focus on sheer output and not care about the quality, I could probably pull 10+ hours every day. If I were to be critical and deliberate with my practice, I can only manage 2 or 3 hours before getting burned out or mentally fatigued.

In my experience, the times when I produced the most pages, were the times I improved the least. And I noticed the most improvement when being deliberate, critical, and accurate.
>>
>>3043622

Well that's convenient. I just bought a sketchbook for the first time in years. Now I'm gonna try to work through it in the month.
>>
>>3043628
This is true, you are woke
>>
>>3043652
Care to post what your drawing looks like after so many pages? How about your finished work (paintings)?
>>
last year i filled 8 or 9 sketchbooks, but that was when i was starting off, on a 50 page i can fill it in less than a month. but i also do a lot of digital and non sketchbook stuff. i do about 6-8 hours a day sometimes more.
>>
>>3043662
To be honest, my drawings are still pretty bad. Around 95% of those thousands were mindless doodles with no real direction of improving. These days I don't draw that often unless it helps with a painting I'm working on.

Here are a handful if you want a peek: https://www.instagram.com/ubem/
It doesn't have much (yet) since it was only made after people started asking to see them on a sketchbook forum. Also, any critiques are deeply appreciated.
>>
>>3043700
Funny that your drawing is your weakest point even after focusing so much on it. I think you are doing alright for yourself, but maybe when drawing try changing your approach. Like try getting longer lines instead of chicken scratching and maybe try constructing more.
>>
>>3043704
Ha yeah, although I spent more than twice as much time painting than drawing. Thanks for the advice, construction and drawing through forms are definitely great areas to practice, though I tend not to post those since they look messy and not as aesthetic. I picked up chicken scratching from Ruan Jia's sketches, it's a bad habit, I'll try to be more confident with my lines next time around. Thanks again
>>
File: 5454884_p0.jpg (799KB, 1998x1442px) Image search: [Google]
5454884_p0.jpg
799KB, 1998x1442px
>>3043700
We see artists like you, who are better at rendering than drawing, I always think that you would actually benefit more from drawing with value, than with lines. You might be someone that will benefit in seeing things in terms of light, and thus you will be able to be more accurate with shapes and construction in your drawings. So maybe try and do a figure drawing sketch, but using the method in these videos. Out of all of these, I really think Zin Lim is someone you would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9U64rzCn78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPz8Xyt3z-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BlpqCxxcEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST77CBy3kUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1uffahF2FU
>>
>>3043770
>that 5 value scale portrait painting
I'm cumming. That looks amazing.
>>
>>3043770
Thanks for sharing those videos, those edges are so buttery. Zin Lim gives me some serious Jeff Simpson vibes, love it, thanks for the reference.

That's a neat idea about drawing with value instead of line, I think that's mostly true; Actually, on occasion I do just that, drawing with value and thick forms. But in comparing the two, I think line drawing has many benefits over painting when doing studies. Drawing allows you to practice measurement, proportions, construction, and drawing through forms at a more efficient pace, allowing you to more quickly build a visual library to draw and paint believably from imagination.

Also, I think the disparity between the quality of drawing and rendered pieces comes down to time; Line sketches usually take minutes, whereas painting takes hours, and the added ability to buff out mistakes.

Thanks again for the advice and videos, I'll give it more thought and practice more often.
>>
>>3043770
Nice videos anon
>>
>>3043652
>first time in 4chan history banana used as scale next to something other than a penis
>>
I draw when inspiration comes to me but I'd like to be drawing every day as I'm NEETing again for the entirety of next year working on a portfolio.

I already take commissions and get a lot of requests, I've been told a number of times that I could go out and get a job in the games/animation industry now but I don't want to be just good, I want to be mindblowing. I want the people I admire now to say "woah, how did you do that?" in a few years.

I should stop playing video games so much, but if I don't experience and learn new things and stories I don't get inspired. Maybe I need to enforce a proper schedule.
>>
>>3043622
Roughly 2 hours alongside my uni work and part-time job. Similar to >>3043640 , but lacking more on my digital rendering skills.
>>3043652
>Working on yellow paper
Though working on seipa paper, didn't think that color would work.
>>
File: 1496727195154.jpg (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496727195154.jpg
21KB, 600x600px
>>3044251
>how long is your banana, anon?
>>
>>3043622
Maybe 5 hours a day altogether? Only an hour of that is in my sketchbook though so it takes ages to fill, and a couple of them are rendering up some painting, which you don't learn as much from.
Still it's nice to know my hours are building up faster than they used to be, mileage is ver important. I might add another hour or two a day in the sketchbook this month to take part in this challenge however, thanks for the link!
>>
>>3043652
Good job anon.

>tfw I throw and delete a lot of my scibblings
I wonder how big the stack would've gotten if I didn't.
>>
>>3046299
maybe keep them from now on until the end of the year, just to see how they stack up
>>
>>3043622
I'm really not sure. Perhaps 4-5h/day on average.
>>
>>3046795
And I've filled about 1A3, 2A4, 4A5, and a bunch of digital shit.
My 2017 folder has 150 images, and that's only shit I've bothered to photograph or finished digital stuff.

But there are few things that I've made this year and put more than 10 hours on.
>>
>>3046710
Do you keep line exercises, gestures and shit that took you a few minutes to finish?

I have so many of these, I draw bunch of worthless crap every day. Don't think this shit is worth saving, I can draw the same stuff within seconds/minutes.
>>
>>3047764
Im not the paper stack anon, but Id say probably dont save warm up type stuff. You can if you want though, if its just going in the bin anyway keep it on a separate pile maybe and see how they stack up over time
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.