[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Perfectionism, Comfort Zone, and lack of progress

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: chara %289%29.png (166KB, 768x577px) Image search: [Google]
chara %289%29.png
166KB, 768x577px
Pic related is mine

Something dawned on me the other day. I'm a quitter. When things get hard, I run away and do things that are easier for me. It's like this in all areas of my life and it translates to art as well. The times I remembered when I improved the most in art where when I got out of my comfort zone and did things that were challenging for me.

When I first starting learning the box and anatomy, these areas were so difficult that I wanted to give up at first, but I pressed on for some reason and I was able to make tremendous progress. But for the past year, I've completely comfort zoned by only doing unfinished anatomy sketches, which at this point, is very easy for me.

I'm not saying i'm a master at anatomy by any stretch but my brain doesn't hurt whenever I do figure drawing like it used too. The areas that I struggle with the most are perspective, color theory, values, creature anatomy etc, but the reason I don't tackle these areas as much is because whenever I do, my head starts hurting again but it's way out of my comfort zone and then I rationalize myself by saying that, I should learn anatomy instead because it's more important. Unsurprisingly, this quest for perfection in my anatomy sketches has also led to be my biggest downfall because my progress right now is very slow. In fact, my skill level right now is indistinguishable from a year back.

TLDR: Practice things that you find boring and difficult, when you do things you really enjoy, you won't make much progress. And don't rationalize yourself by saying you aren't good enough to do certain things due to a lack of skill.
>>
Anon, I find that you just have to make the leap.
Lachri explains this very well:
https://youtu.be/_jWTSQhG-TU?t=18m10s

For you, I feel like a big reason you are finding things to hard, is that you might be trying to tackle these things on your own, like you do with figure drawing. You don't follow a tutorial for figure drawing usually, you just start applying learned knowledge as you draw figures. But for things like line coloring, values, and perspective, you will find that copying others/ doing tutorials is what will propel you forward.

And I completely understand the boring aspect. For example, you are probably starting out with boxes for perspective. Well why not just leap to what would interest you and try and do anatomy and perspective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP06EHog8B0

You might be surprised that not only are you still learning basic box perspective, you are able to do the figures you like to do so much too. And because you are challenging yourself, you'll notice improvement.
>>
You can improve while making art you like if you don't suck. Youre going to dislike your old art in 6 months anyways so might as well pump out challenging pieces.

Just go out of your comfort zone if you have art block. Like instead of plants, draw machinery, or calligraphy. I feel like you can practice channeling into your creative zone if you get elastic with it.
>>
>>3043698
This.
>>
>>3044862
>>3043698

posts that aren't helpful need to be deleted
>>
>>3043698
Yeah

>>3043604
>learning the box
What is there to learn? If you couldnt draw a simple box before i dont know what to say. Thats the simplest thing ever
>>
cant tell if op is schizo or a shitposter that really likes roleplaying
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.