[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IC has a retarded misconception of progress

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 15

File: Shoebill Improvement.jpg (258KB, 850x679px) Image search: [Google]
Shoebill Improvement.jpg
258KB, 850x679px
This is what progress looks like for the average hard working artist. Yes, this artist studies their fundamentals, yes this artist draws like 3 hours a day, yes this artist does imagination work and application blah blah blah but this is the general progress level of a self taught artist.

It's ridiculous that /ic/ thinks you can go from a /beg/ tier to pro level in a year or two.

>B-but vetyr

Yeah, vetyr is talented. She draws like 4 hours a day, plenty of artists draw more than that and still make nowhere near that amount of progress

>b-but 1 year feng zhu academy progress

For one thing, I'm pretty sure feng zhu is cherry picking. Second, those artists are literally drawing 12 hours a day and getting PRO level feedback on a consistent. And even with all that work, they are very limited in what they can do. For the most part, the only thing that really improves is their rendering and perspective, the majority of them still have mediocre figure drawing/gesture/shape language skills.

It's like those losing weight commercials. "In 90 days, you'll go from a fat fuck who never exercised in his whole life to a having a body of an athlete" I'm sorry, life doesn't work like that. Art is hard as shit, it's not something you'll get good at because you decided to draw 16 hours a day for 1 year.
>>
>>3042659
>3 hours a day
NGMI
>>
>>3042659
>3 hours a day
Lol
>>
>>3042659
>3 hours a day
Sad
>>
>>3042659
>It's ridiculous that /ic/ thinks you can go from a /beg/ tier to pro level in a year or two.

but that's what I did though, you should probably stop projecting your own short comings onto others, and make it a general law of the universe just to make yourself feel better.
>>
>>3042659
Thinning out the competitors eh?
>>
>>3042659
>three years and thats all the progress they can make
That's really fucking sad
>>
>>3042663
>>3042669
>>3042674
>>3042675
>>3042681
Daily reminder that these are all either /beg/ tier dunningkrugers or they haven't been drawing for longer than a year.

Wanna prove me wrong? Post your progress. You won't.
>>
>>3042686
I'll post you my merc_wip
>>
>>3042663
>>3042669
>>3042674
3 hours a day of focusing on your weak points, going out your comfort zone, studying and putting that to use in a piece of our own is far better than 18 hours of grinding loomis heads
>>
>>3042659
If you want to get good at something, you have to put in the work, which means you need to spend the same amount time that you would put into a university degree or a regular 9-5 job. This boils down to 6-8 hours a day, depending on whether you work every day or take the weekends off.
A lot of people who aim to become professional artists often put in even more work, because they're so passionate about art that their lives revolve around it.
>>
File: 1490838093782s.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1490838093782s.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>3042659
>tfw been drawing for 3 years now and a leauge better then OP pic related
Heh, thanks for a small boost of confidence, faggot
>>
>>3042686
This. People who've only been drawing for three years still say this shit.
*cough* >>3042748 *cough*

I had this mentality starting with my second year that anyone could become good after [# years I've been drawing] because I used to always think I was good.
The eternal self doubt kind of sunk in around my fifth year.
>>
>>3042659
That's a one year's worth of progress for an artist with fundies and an average dose of talent, and I'm being generous here. Working FZD style you could get there in two months.

You shitlords have the best learning resources of all kind, books, videos, lectures, articles, right here in front of you and for free, so what's with all the excuses, when are you gonna start taking this seriously?
>>
>>3042786
>You shitlords have the best learning resources of all kind, books, videos, lectures, articles, right here in front of you and for free, so what's with all the excuses, when are you gonna start taking this seriously?

Sounds like that's something you ought to ask yourself rather than random strangers on the internet.
>>
>>3042805
What a great comeback.

Those strangers aren't random, they are the people complaining in this thread about progress and talent.
What is random, however, is your reply, because you're implying I don't make use of those resources, which is entirely baseless.
>>
>>3042817
Just as baseless as you assuming people you don't know don't make use of those resources.
>>
>>3042659
OK, but you contradict yourself. You basically have just said "as long as you draw more than 3 hours daily you will improve better than this" So I will work more than 3 hours a day
>>
>>3042659
Sorry but some people are more talented than you, this is pretty mediocre progress. Congrats.
>>
File: 1458385383685.jpg (3MB, 1200x6925px) Image search: [Google]
1458385383685.jpg
3MB, 1200x6925px
>>3042659
>>
>>3042659
Well is anybody gonna post their fucking progress pics? I'm a /beg/ tier scrublord who's been around here for a few weeks and I still haven't seen a single fucking picture of somebody who went from shit tier to decent. It's almost always somebody who probably drew as a kid and slowly gained okay art skills going from decent to great or from great to fantastic, but never shit to decent. I just wanna see what sort of timeframe it takes different artists to work their way up from nothing.
>>
>>3042659
Uh, I really hope you're kidding. This progress is horrible for 3 years. Within 3 years you can go from total amateur to skilled vet, easily.
>>
>>3042659
>"In 90 days, you'll go from a fat fuck who never exercised in his whole life to a having a body of an athlete" I'm sorry, life doesn't work like that.
lewlz, I did p90x and went from 186lb fat fuck to 150lbs healthy. So much for your theory retard
>>
>>3043082
You have experience of this? What does your progress look like?
>>
I draw less than 3 hours a day and got more progress in one year than that person
>>
>>3042659
get off your soap box. anyone with half a brain can tell that you are literally not thinking whatsoever if that is all the progress you can muster after 3 years. You're not thinking, and you're not drawing either.
>>
File: notmine.jpg (2MB, 2000x5854px) Image search: [Google]
notmine.jpg
2MB, 2000x5854px
>>3043070
Here's shit tier to professional. And you can clearly see he progressed way faster than OP's pic
>>
>>3043130
uhm..
>>
>>3042659
>vetyr

Vetyr isn't good in a sense that she's doing the same stuff over and over again. She is good at making same faces with same painting technique but that's all. Vetyr as a well rounded person is non existent.
>>
>>3043141
well the subject matter may not be ideal but it's still a good example
>>
>>3043130
I don't see anything professional in that image, except maybe an environment or two near the end.
>>
>>3043130
this was a really bad example to use, the style is really ugly and it still looks incredibly amateur at the end. pretty typical for a fetish artist.
>>
>>3042659
Gains are based entirely off of whether or not you "get" what you're learning.
This entitled generation thinks everything is a video game, so they grind without thinking. An attempt to somehow automatically confer gains from the ether, as if it were exp.

There's questions you can ask yourself all the time that'll keep you from ever being stagnant.
>Do I get what I am learning from this artist?
>If yes, what can I steal?
>If no, what are they doing that I'm not doing?
>How is 'X' typically done/taught etc.
>How will I go about getting the same result as 'X'?
>I am lacking in this fundamental. what are some ways to practice it?
>What are some ways to improve my understanding of 'X'?
>when was the last time i applied what i learned to an original illustration?
>Am I learning this in a way I can understand?
>Am I making an effort to understand the material?

You don't necessarily have to be an obsessive about everything, focus on a general approach to the fundamentals that can be applied to anything, and you build a skillset that can be applied to everything.
Peter Han literally grinds lines because he has an understanding that says "these abstract lines make up everything"
Craig Mullins grinds really quick and messy studies because he has an understanding that says "I'm only learning one or two things from each painting regardless of quality, so let me just do a bunch of them all the time."

Fundamentals required for learning are perspective and observational drawing skills,
But what makes a single image good is it's interplay of appealing contrasts and design decisions. Being able to analyze what makes an image good is where all the gains come from.
The conversation that happens in your head when you pick apart the techniques of a painter is what is making you better. You learn how to gestalt things in a way that does the work for you.

Anyone can work smart, but it takes discipline to work hard.
>>
File: progress2017.jpg (1MB, 1181x3300px) Image search: [Google]
progress2017.jpg
1MB, 1181x3300px
>>3043070
This is my painting progress from shit tier to anime shit tier. I'm happier with my work now than I was before but it's still just anime shit so idk take it as you will.
>>
>>3043198
this
>>
>>3043158
Professional just means you're earning money off of it. That anon might not be feng zhu but he's definitely good enough to make money off his work.

>>3043160
Style is a preference, and most of his work after 2015 doesn't look that amateurish, apart from maybe two or three images. The point is that he improved drastically, especially in his early years. Anyone can see that.

>>3043218
You weren't that shit in the beginning, and you definitely aren't shit now. Whether or not it's anime has nothing to do with skill level, but I'm sure you already knew that.
>>
>>3042659
It's actually realistically good improvement.
First sketch has horrendous stiff poses and .feel flat as fuck.

Second sketch is not rendered, I'd challenge any of the people calling out the major flaws of fundamentals.
>>
>>3043250
No I was pretty fuckin bad at painting when I first started. I basically came from 0 knowledge of painting and knew nothing about color theory or form. Though I had been drawing on and off for a couple years prior, 2015 is when I came back to art after about 4 years of not drawing. I still have a lot of problems with composition, materials and effects so it's a big source of frustration for me and while I don't have any problems with appreciating anime art and the skills that come with it, I recognize that this board does not often look favorably upon weebshit so I left it up to his discretion to decide whether it was what he was looking for.
>>
>>3043130
You aren't really helping... yeah the guy has some breathtaking landscapes, but his human anatomy is sorely lacking.
>>
>>3042932
>>3043130
>>3043218

You guys are all literally just proving my point. The guy who's drawing the gigantic lolis took a long time to get good. The other animu guy already had experience before starting and even now he really isn't impressive in my eyes. And the other sketch guy just went from beg tier to intermediate tier.
>>
>>3042659
Anon, average is shit. I also don't particularly think 3 hours is hard working: if you really enjoy it, 3 hours will pass by easily.

It doesn't matter so much how long you draw after a point, but what goes on in your head and nervous system as you draw, and what you are doing to challenge or not challenge yourself.

Shit thread.
>>
>>3043286
well since >>3043070 said they were a "/beg/ tier scrublord who's been around for a few weeks" I assumed that their idea of shit tier was literally absolute shit tier, like the vast majority of stuff on deviantart, or something like the beginning of >>3043130. Your 2015 is definitely far from perfect, but it's not absolute shit. heck, some of it could probably go in the drawthread. Also, if he (and the rest of this board) judges the level your work based on whether or not it's anime then that's his problem.
>>
>>3042659
I get the idea of showing the subtlety of your lines to imply shadow, but to be frank it is not the most interesting use of skill. It definitely shows skill, but I have no idea if you know how to express a sense of context and emotion that comes from a depth of shading techniques. I would love to see other types of work you have done.
>>
>>3043316
Kek, your progressed art is that sketch guys' beg tier. You just lack the talent, And do not have the brain to make up for it. Stop projecting.
>>
>>3042659
Well, not everyone have 200 IQ letting them make it in such a short time like me. Ha ha!
>>
>>3043218
breddy good anon, you got a blog?
>>
>>3043218
What particular sources and practices did you study?
>>
File: prog.png (606KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
prog.png
606KB, 800x516px
>>3043070
Consider this 1 year since I didn't do art for 4 years between these two. Also the left side probably took me an hour and the right probably took 10 minutes.
>>
File: progress20142017.jpg (360KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
progress20142017.jpg
360KB, 1000x1000px
are we still embarrassing OP? Don't forget about meeeee!
>>
>>3045245
>5 years
>5 yea...
>5 y...
>5

Jesus christ dude, just open a fucking book or watch some youtube tutorials.
>>
>>3045259
> Consider this 1 year since I didn't do art for 4 years between these two.
Learn to read anon. I'm far from good but that's decent for a year of not actually caring about improving my art.
>>
>>3045262
>decent
lmao

You're either trolling or a high level dunning kruger. That progress you posted belongs on the autistic improvement thread. In fact, I'll post it right now
>>
>>3042659
I honestly think sometimes that this boards entire existence is just a waste of time.

This place has become 2 me irl 4 me irl with none of the compassion.

Art feel threads, talent threads, and every other possible excuse not just to keep working or stop under the sun.

Why are you people even here? Are just making these posts to feel sorry for yourself?

What do you gain from all these "discussions"? Are you actually figuring out a way to solve your problems or just attacking one another? I don't know but I think I've had it with this place.

I'm thankful for all the resources offered but I doubt a lot of people here( the majority) take this craft seriously

And I think it's due to a lot of people here just suffering from emotional and mental health problems.
>>
>>3045265
have fun with that anon, your 10 minute sketches are probably even shittier than mine.
>>
>>3042659
that doesn't look better than a before/after of that betty edwards book, with maybe a little loomis chucked in there. so i don't think that's typical progress. if they could have done that second picture in late 2014 but they just didn't get better over the following 3 years i'd believe it.
>>
>>3042659
This was my progress in 3 years DRAWING LESS THAN 20 MIN A DAY.

I'm very critical of myself but struggle with procrastination. Could have done so much more.
>>
>>3042659
>feng zhu
something in every piece i see from feng zhu just looks off. it all looks go bland too. yeah its high quality but it seems like the artists lose thier own style and become generic drones
>>
>>3045288
well it's industrial art, it's supposed to look like that
>>
>>3045288
If you have your own style when you're still shit and haven't even learnt the fundamentals yet, then you SHOULD lose your fucking style and just learn to be generic, yet competent. A real style that is worth a damn develops naturally over time through experience and knowledge.
>>
>>3045273
Your last point is kind of silly, there's a well known connection between art and mental health problems.
Agree with everything else you said though, like any other board there's only a handful of people who take the subject matter seriously.
>>
>>3045287
my condolences
>>
>>3045291
i think the main point is there skys aare all rushed and not done properly.

>>3045297
yes, obviously. but its all losing your self and just becoming a cog with feng zhu
>>
>>3045334
>>3045291
ah, after watching some of the fz i figured out what it is. The fact theyre using atcual images in their paintings throws it off
>>
File: example of fzd characters.jpg (221KB, 1500x1061px) Image search: [Google]
example of fzd characters.jpg
221KB, 1500x1061px
>>3042786
>Working FZD style you could get there in two months.
There's a lot of misunderstanding about what FZD school actually teaches you.
It's not a one-stop shop for gitting gud at art, it's an industrial design school first and foremost.
The first months are just perspective grinding and mechanical design. I don't think they ever go in depth into characters or figure drawing unless the student wants to out of their own initiative.

pic related is something I found on their website as a term 1 final. The perspective on the vehicle is fantastic but you can clearly see the character would fit right in on /beg/
>>
>>3045346
>industrial design
what does this actually mean?
>>
File: 10-basic-guidelines-materials.jpg (103KB, 570x379px) Image search: [Google]
10-basic-guidelines-materials.jpg
103KB, 570x379px
>>3045355

It's a career where you find solutions or improvments to everyday items. Ketchup bottles to furniture to cars. The thing 98% of this board does not want to do for a reason.
>>
>>3045368
i thought that was more part of scientific testing, you know finding better designs, optimising volume, etc
>>
File: 1496778627998.jpg (1MB, 3488x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1496778627998.jpg
1MB, 3488x1066px
>>3043070
Does this fit your criteria?
>>
>>3045450
I'd consider 2014 as having some earlier experience with art, but I can't discount the natty gains during year 2.
>>
>>3045459
how? lmao

>>3045450
still don't understand underlying structure
>>
>>3042659
that "progress" is in league with the shittiest "looks like you drew both on the same day" progress memes. He even still has the same problem with legs. wonder if the artist is OP on account of how much deets he knows about this artist and how personally offended he gets
>>
>>3045459
Prior to 2014 I hated art, that pic's after 2 months of drawing and copying artists I liked. Idk, maybe I have what you'd call talent but I doubt it
>>3045464
Yeah you're right, gotta work on that
>>
>>3043872
im assuming you're talking about>>3042932
i wonder how many years it took for the sketch guy to get to his "beg tier" in 2013?? most likely more than a couple if he's drawing like that from imagination. also he's a sparklet, his designs are generic and tired so can his art really be considered all that good? he could use quite a few more years of practice if you ask me
>>
>>3043082
Nope. Not even close. It takes most artists at least a decade to get even close to master levels of work, with 4 of those years being art school, if they go.
There's also the very real issue of talent. Not everyone will become an artist. Drawing is a skill - being an artist is a lot more than that - drawing is one skill an artist uses. You can spend 10 years drawing Loomis heads, but if you don't have the talent to take it to the next level, and the one after that, and the one after that, etc., and meld all of that into art, it's just not gonna happen.
Most of the people in this forum will never work professionally as an artist, beyond dirty cartoons for pent up teenagers and gamer tags for 13 year olds on Tumblr. It's just reality.
3 hours a day, 12 hours a day - it's all moot if that person can't move past the beginning steps - which most of you won't. And there's nothing wrong with that - art is a great hobby. But don't let the try hards and edgelords here who turn art into this bizarre grind, like it's an mmo, like you'll get a plaque that says "I'm an artist" like armor in an MMO if you grind Loomis for 10,000 hours.
>>
>>3043218
You really need to learn color theory and composition. Your work looks like a unicorn barfed on it.
>>
>>3045532
>But don't let the try hards and edgelords here who turn art into this bizarre grind, like it's an mmo, like you'll get a plaque that says "I'm an artist" like armor in an MMO if you grind Loomis for 10,000 hours rob the fun, passion and creativity from art, which seems to be their plan.

(finished the sentence because this site sucks with no edit function)
>>
File: Untitled.png (3MB, 3900x825px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3MB, 3900x825px
>>
>>3045163
@godsh0t on twitter

>>3045225
it's probably easier just to check my twitter favorites than to list everything

>>3045539
i guess? i like colorful work though-- i'll keep your criticism in mind for the future
>>
>>3045287
Are you trolling or are you actually the grill who got into fzd?
>>
File: kekkk.jpg (64KB, 763x721px) Image search: [Google]
kekkk.jpg
64KB, 763x721px
22, just started drawing seriously two weeks ago since i got a tablet from a friend. I've obviously been doodling like every teenage kid.

Since i won't be able to use it (spending all summer in law internship) i'll have to try the good old pen and paper.
>>
>>3043218
Really digging the Lucina there, good work anon.
>>
>>3045553
So is being an artist your full-time job? What's your main source of income? Cause I checked your pateron and twitter and you have a lot less then you should for your skill level.
>>
>>3045346
Figure is just one subject to be drawn. A god tier landscape artist could go their whole life and make their way into an art history textbook without drawing a single figure.
The one thing you should be judging someone's ability to draw on are their fundamentals, their ability to communicate form. What they use that ability for is none of our business.

That being said, by "working FZD style" I meant day and night, systematically, logically and without excuses. That's the essence, not whether you draw cars or people.
>>
>>3045450
Could you not?
>>
>>3045539
>Your work looks like a unicorn barfed on it.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>3042659
I think the beef is more with what people consider 'professional', because nobody in any profession becomes 'professional' after a single year. I think it's very reasonable to get to 'looks professional' in a year, aka 'Got Gud' level of skill, but being a professional takes time and experience.

You are right about one thing, you won't get good if your goal is just a vague 'get good at art'. At what part of art. This is where people struggle, they draw circles for 5 hours a day for a year because they just have the one vague macro goal. They aren't looking to progress - just grind the pencil down until they are suddenly and magically good because getting after it makes them leave their comfort zone. I think this is where talent comes from - some people naturally pick up on breaking down large abstracts into smaller tasks that they can efficiently pick off one at a time, and they also don't immediately shy away if they suck shit at first.
>>
>>3046457
>>3046509
thanks yo, appreciate the kind words and no art isn't my full time job-- i'm a programmer

twitter growth's been pretty decent all things considered I think, since i'm not a very frequent poster
>>
>>3045852
I am. This was pre-FZD (2012-2015).

Logged my hours, did 80 hours in 2012 ;_;

WIP for proof.
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (335KB, 1834x1834px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
335KB, 1834x1834px
>>3046744
In my opinion, being on /ic/ after you got introduced to the concepts of:
- hard work > talent
- Loomis, Vilppu, ctrlpaint
- gesture drawing, perspective, fundies

is just wasting time. Bleh. Not good for the mind and productivity, and my poor productivity is only confirmation :)
>>
>>3046748
>it's /ic/'s fault that I'm shit

Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>3046743
How busy are you as a programmer? Is it worth it? What do you do on a daily?
>>
>>3046965
Ha, that came out wrong I guess. I mean that /ic/ is part of procrastination, not the cause of it :)

Haven't learned anything here since 2012. I'm procrastinating right now!
>>
>>3046744
Where are you at now?
>>
>>3046631
no
>>
>>3045258
No one replied, but I'd say that's pretty good. A solid improvement.
>>
>>3047359
Comfy freelancing, not good enough yet for an in-house concept job. Did about 3000 drawing hours in FZD.
work is here: http://www.irishopp.com
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.