[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Dave Rapoza go from a shoplifter to the artist he is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

How did Dave Rapoza go from a shoplifter to the artist he is today? I am really curious how did he get so skilled
>>
Are you ready m8? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IRvJ_47YjNc/Tel746hJy3I/AAAAAAAAAG8/kF0RTBJVCIA/s1600/schedule%2Bnon%2Bdesk.jpg
anatomy practice is 9 times with reff 9 times from your head. Painting practice is once with reff once from imagination. Dave uses reference despite what Crimson Daggers might say. Be intelligent with it and learn how light works. Within 2 years of starting tho Dave already had pro stuff and was getting jobs. He also was in contact with great artists who gave him advice.
>>
>>3040153
Is it this hard to upload this image like a civilized person on an imageboard
>>
>>3040144

Buy his orc tutorial. It's just a couple of bucks. I love the guy! He studied shit 6h.-12h. per day for 2 years.

Stuff he said he studied:

- Painting rotting fruit on his desk through the rotting process.

- Anatomy studies.

- Studying other artists.

- Photoshop (and shit).

He also did a lot of personal work and stuff. I really recommend checking out his tutorial. He's a really inspirational guy even if you don't like the edgy shit he's producing and you gotta admit that he's made a proper name for himself.
>>
>>3040153
Why is there a music hour in this schedule?
>>
>>3040144
SPOILER he did NOT find some magical way to become a great artist. He was already a good artist and he studied to become a great artist.
>>
>>3040202
Actually he did. Most people can't get that good in two years. He found a way to effectively practice 3-5 hours a day and improve without have a plateau.
>>
File: gunner_girl_by_davidrapozaart.jpg (237KB, 590x790px) Image search: [Google]
gunner_girl_by_davidrapozaart.jpg
237KB, 590x790px
>>3040202
He wasn't always a good artist. He was a typical nobody in the beginning
>>
>>3040203
The people who "study" and don't improve after years aren't actually studying.
>>
>>3040207
That's good. Compared to the average beginner from /ic/ he's a god. His grasp of color was already pretty great.
>>
>>3040213
That's beginner tier trash, what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>3040203
you're retarded if you think he didnt hit any plateaus in those 2 years
>>
>>3040213
Do you even go in general threads? You must suck ass
>>
>>3040207
He got an art scholership in HS. He talked about it in Bogwitch.
>>
>>3040213
Ok it's better than people like akirel but they are not even a good artist in ic standards.
>>
>>3040236
At least he actually put his own name. Now he gets to be berated an professionally destroyed by 4chan. Gg guys way to promote a community of artists.
>>
>>3040144
"Good artists borrow. Great artists steal."
>>
>>3040241
Do u know where he got this composition? Dude if u do props, please share.
>>
>>3040246
he was nurtured by top artist from he old concept art forums. there is no composition refs, not anymore.
>>
>>3040255
It's messed up that Dave never saved that progress stuff. I remember him talking to Brad Rigney and he was saying how seeing all those progress things of okay artists into pros (Cause they posted their daily work) helped him become good. But then he deleted all the images (OR CA.ORG did). Btw Brad is a super nice dude he has helped me out a ton with art.
>>
File: BolasPoster.CGHUB.jpg (265KB, 1560x1212px) Image search: [Google]
BolasPoster.CGHUB.jpg
265KB, 1560x1212px
>>3040260
>Brad Rigney
He's a joke
>>
File: Brad Rigney.jpg (2MB, 3001x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Brad Rigney.jpg
2MB, 3001x1250px
>>3040274
Brad Rigney is a God. Probably one of the best artists out there. Even if his newer stuff is photobashed, who cares. Mood wise he has awesome stuff.
>>
>>3040278
If you think that a photobasher is a good "artist" then no wonder this board is so shitty. You don't even have to learn to draw to do that stuff, it's shit made by shit
>>
>>3040282
>" then no wonder this board is so shitty. You don't even have to learn to draw to do that stuff, it's shit
You sir are retarded. In order to photobash well you have to know how color and light works. Name one prominent photobasher who can't draw? Exactly you need to know how light works. You weebish hack, you do realize that Dave bashes all the time for his pro work right? There isn't a single pro photobasher who can't paint. You can teach anyone to paint realistically in one year. You can't teach anyone to compose a new image that doesn't exist and make it realistic. Go back to your cave.
>>
>>3040282

I hope you're 15... If you're actually working in the industry you'll have to use every possible asset to make your shit work with limited time.

I watched Brad's "A Hostile Takeover" tutorial and he didn't need to bash there because he really does know his shit. I don't even care how people do their art anymore as long as it looks good. Photobashing won't take you anywhere if you don't know how to make a composition/paint.
>>
>>3040274
You don't know what art direction is.
>>
>>3040299

>le photobashing is mandatory for muh industry standards meme

You fell for it. There is absolutely no need for photobashing when doing pure illustration work, and there are concept artists who work without it aswell. Some studios may demand it, but it depends on the art director. Photobashing fundamentally affects the aesthetics of your painting so to write it off as a insignificant factor is silly aswell.
>>
>>3040282
I sure hope you're baiting. There's no way someone on ic is this retarded.
>>
>>3040345
>I sure hope you're baiting. There's no way someone on ic is this retarded.
Probably is. I feel really bad for those guys starting out tho who post there stuff and have some bashed work that's actually decent. These plebs rip them apart usually saying they took screenshots from games or movies without any actual evidence or reasonable accusation. If you guy to top studios, even for illustration allot of guys will use 3D or photobashing because it is less work, and that isn't always a good thing, but they still know how to make a good image and paint. Honestly I know people who started to become really good at real painting after they started some mattepainting courses and bashing because they finally understood what makes an image A. well composed, and B. realistic
>>
>>3040314
>o to write it off as a insignificant factor is silly aswel
Lol dude, no one is saying it doesn't affect the look, but sometimes it looks better. The actual core design stuff is usually not photobashed. The backgrounds tend to be. Character artists don't photobash until l8r on. And the ppl calling the aesthetic are the art directo
>>
I don't care about some photobashing trash, this thread is about Dave Rapoza and he didn't do photobashing.
>>
>>3040414
>t care about some photobashing t
Lolololo. http://daverapoza.deviantart.com/art/Pacific-Rim-Movie-Posters-471284868
He literally said in a podcast this is a paintover/photobash. And half of everything he did in Skull and Shark was photobashed.
http://i2.cdnds.net/12/31/movies_expendables_1.jpg
also bashed this.
And you choose to completely ignore the other arguments. It would probably be easier to convince with someone from Westboro that evolution exists.
>>
>>3040422
I didn't choose to ignore the other arguments, it's literally offtopic and doesn't answer the question in OP.

If you want to talk about photobashing, make a new thread for it. It's that simple.
>>
>>3040423
>t some photobashing trash, this thread is about Dave Rapoza and he didn't do photobas
You literally said Dave didn't photobash and I posted that to prove he did photobash... How am I off topic?
>>
>>3040427
>How did Dave Rapoza go from a shoplifter to the artist he is today? I am really curious how did he get so skilled.

Did he get skilled by photobashing? No? Then it's offtopic. Thanks for your non existing contribution, go away.
>>
>>3040430
this is something called denial. I don't like it. if you can't even accept the criticism of someone you respect how the fuck do you deal with personal criticism ?
>>
>>3040443
It doesn't matter now, maybe he did photobashing, I don't care about that. There's no reason to continue that topic, it's useless. Make your own potobashing thread if you want to talk about.

Does anyone know of any particular routines or tutorials Dave used during his learning process
>>
Do you guys understand that jobs in the industry can be dirty assignments like "paint in hugh jackman's abs over this unflattering photo" and "we have this production shot to use as promo but we changed things, you have to add horns to the monster", the whole issue about photobashing is pointless.

You think a professional would turn down a job because 'no sorry my work ethic forbids me from using photos in my ART" even an amateur scrub like me understands this, how can you guys expect to make it if you hold these preconceptions about working in concept art, which is one of the most cutthroat fields an artist can aspire work in
>>
File: schedule non desk.jpg (175KB, 1000x757px) Image search: [Google]
schedule non desk.jpg
175KB, 1000x757px
>>3040447
>Do you guys understand that jobs in the industry can be dirty assignments like "paint in
Yes here you go dude. Even though you were being a complete dick. For anatomy 9 times from reff 9 times from memory. For master studies 1 time with reff 1 time from memory. Started doing this 2 years ago stopped for about 9 months ago to do personal work more than studies, and now I'm getting back into it.
>>
File: maxim-verehin-sp-reborn5.jpg (738KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
maxim-verehin-sp-reborn5.jpg
738KB, 1920x1920px
>>3040450

I don't get this shit either. Either these kids are really fucking young or delusional. I used to work at a production company and I had situations where I had to do concept art for a commercial in 7h.

-We need a bad ass image of three photorealic squirrels in drivers uniforms for the pitch. Can you deliver in 7h.?

- Nahh dawwg. I want to paint all the hairs man.

In today's industry its almost mandatory to know digital painting, photobashing and even 3D if your trying to "get in". Ask fucking anybody in the industry.

Photobashed shit doesn't have to look bad either. Look at shit like Piotr Jablonski or Maxim Verehin (<-Pic related). They use a ton of photos and their shit is fucking dope. Oh, and they're both amazing painters. You really need to be to make that shit work...
>>
>>3040462
that pic looks absolutely atrocious Anon
>>
>>3040153
Something to remember when looking at this is that this was very clearly his full time "job".
>>
>>3040468

Ok. Well show me some good art then? What do you consider good concept art?
>>
>>3040450
You don't have to do concept art tho, photobashing is alright there, understandable but it gets nasty if you are an illustrator. A lot of magic cards are traced over real life people and also has shit copypasted from photos and you can see it very clearly. They look bad.

The best illustrations are all about creating your idea, not fucking slapping pictures and mixing it with other crap to make it look bearable
>>
>>3040462
>Maxim Verehin uses use a ton of photos

about that...
>>
>>3040486

What?
>>
>>3040443
It's pretty common knowledge that Dave did photobashed crap for Hollywood for a while. He talked about it all the time back when he was still streaming. Said he absolutely hated it and it was one of the main reasons why he completely burned out and started going the completely opposite direction for a few years, doing almost nothing but drawings with flat colors and shadows.
>>
>>3040153
where is that schedule from?
>>
>>3040450
>You think a professional would turn down a job because 'no sorry my work ethic forbids me from using photos in my ART

Well, yes, tons of professionals would turn down some low paying entry level photobashing job that is usually done by interns or junior concept artists. That has nothing to do with their work ethic either, but simply with the fact that their time and expertise is far too valuable to be wasted on photobashing Hugh Jackman's abs over an unflattering photo.
>>
None of you know anything about the industry. This thread is so pathetic.
>>
>>3040526
Yeah and you totally do know more than these anons right? Pompous fuck
>>
>>3040526
I don't care about the bad part of this industry, if you are satisfied with mixing shitty photos, fine but don't expect others to be the same.

You can do art for money and still be a real artist.
>>
>>3040468
>when looking at this is that this was very clearly his full time "job".
Actually imo it's pretty sick
>>3040517
Dave's blog.
>>3040527
Lol this is how you don't improve. You guys are getting way to mad about this. All of these methods have their ups and downs. In order to draw like Dave you would have to be Dave. Some people can't do stuff like that genetically but I guarantee you will get really good if you do the schedule and practice every day. Pay attention no music if it distracts you.Essentially no rap, classical and some rock.
>>
>>3040462
How many artists portfolio would sway your opinion that 3D is needed? 10? 100? Working artists with at least 1-2 years of experience minimum?

You need to stop dealing in absolutes.
>>
You know what's weird. /ic/ is apparently full of extremely defensive photobashing apologists who know everything about the industry, yet I have never once seen one good photobashing piece posted here by anyone from this board.

I mean, sure the overall quality of /ic/ isn't that great to begin with, but i think we have all seen at least some decent drawing or digital painting posted here every once in a while. The self promotion thread also has plenty of decent artists, yet not a single photobasher ever advertizes their blogs there.

Now you can argue "W-we're all industry professionals, obviously we wouldn't want our work associated with /ic/!" but come on, by sheer coincidence at least one of you should have posted something here before you got your gigs at Disney photobashing squirrels in driver uniforms, right?
>>
File: schedule.jpg (167KB, 1000x676px) Image search: [Google]
schedule.jpg
167KB, 1000x676px
>>3040153
This is/was his real schedule.
>>
>>3040557
Literally what I sent my dude.
>>
>>3040551
Obviously if you want to work at disney you don't want to photobash. Idiot. However if you want to work at ILM then here is some of the concept art coming out of it
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/star-wars-the-force-awakens-concept-art-ilm-7.jpg
>>
>>3040568
It's not. The real one doesn't have the gay music shit sandwiched in there.
>>
>>3040571
I know there are plenty of concept artists photobashing, you idiot. I'm asking, why is /ic/ so full of faggots like yourself who feel the need to white knight these photobashers and pretend they too are industry professionals, yet I have not once seen you and your ilk post a good photobash on this board. All you ever do is talk about how important photobashing is and how experienced you are in this industry and then post the work of other artists as examples.
>>
>>3040571
>picture
if this is the result of photobashing I'm not impressed
also this is an imageboard, use the feature
>>
>>3040585
>yourself who feel the need to white knight these photobashers and pretend they too are indu
Because it's filled with people who say anyone who photobashes is human garbage or a talantless hack. Obviously it isn't the only thing ppl do in the industry and I never said that it was.
>>
>>3040202
>>3040235
>tfw you learn that you were either meant to make it or not from the very beginning
There's literally nobody who started from the ground and rose to the top, you can't prove it.
>>
>>3040532
Yeah I'll agree on the music, it's pretty distracting.
>>
>>3040655
>urself who feel the need to white knight these photobashers and pretend they too are indu
>Because it's filled with people who say anyone who photobashes is human garbage or a talantless hack. Obviously it isn't the only thing ppl do in the industry and I never said that it was.
If you do something every day you will get good. Simple as that.
>>
>>3040213
>>3040224
>>3040229

It's basically high end general thread quality, that picture is well above /ic/ average but certainly not exceptional. It's certainly fucking not "beginner tier trash", it's well into intermediate. /ic/ really needs to get a grip sometimes and actually go and see what gets posted by beginners.
>>
>>3040557
What does work cram mean?
>>
>>3040557

Why do all artists use the impact font? Seriously
>>
>>3040197
Because sometimes just getting good at art isn't enough.

>>3040537
Only a Sith deals in absolutes!
>>
>>3040236
What's wrong with my work?

I draw better than that any day of the week, at least.
>>
>>3040144
the guy is hack and looks like a real pussy

He constantly talk shit about stuff he barely knows. The guy only has talent to mimic techinques he torrented from a video. He is hypocrite every time he bitches about stealing, copying, or even tracing,

oh and criminson daggers was super gay
>>
>>3040557
work cram?
>>
>>3041140
ah it's an intensive grinding. would be nice to know what exactly he did in that time period. or maybe it was never the same so he just labeled as work cram.
>>
>>3041108
>went to trial for shoplifting
>stopped shoplifting and turned his life around
>now isn't allowed to complain about companies stealing his work.

Yeah, I don't think that's how hypocrisy works, champ.
>>
>>3040144
Really nice. How much $ do you think he got paid for this piece?
>>
>>3041145
>companies stealing his work
His way of responding to that was pretty reasonable and cool, I thought.
>>
>>3040921
>>3041140
The time period where he crammed in his freelance work.
>>
I remember in an interview hearing that he uses clay models (don't know if he still does) for form and lighting reference.

I honestly just think he studied well. That is to say there are efficient ways to study, and also from the "right" people.
>>
>>3041395
>I honestly just think he studied well. That is to say there are efficient ways to study, and also from the "right" people.
Yeah, there was this rumor going around that he worked from his head, and I doubt it, but if he did it was only after many paintings with the clay reference.
>>
>>3040462
>Piotr Jablonski
>use a ton of photos
citation needed
>>
>>3041638
Eyes needed. You can clearly see lots and lots of photobashing in his work, especially older. These days he's covering it up better I guess, but its still there. He even admits to it in an interview for CG Society (or someone, cant remember).
>>
>>3041681
nice proof
>>
>>3041705

It's pretty obvious that he does. If you knew anything about digital art you'd probably see it.
>>
>>3041681

>He even admits to it

As if this is some kind of crime? Photobash this, matte painting that, 3d blockin blah blah blah, stop worrying about other artists and go back to work scrub.
>>
>>3041145
>>3041277
Shoplifting is nothing short of lame. Don't try to make it seem like he was some kid from some ghetto. He's a pussy, plain and simple.

And his response was pussy too. He made a blog entry about it. Basically, he bitched about it with a circle of friends, didn't really address the issue or confront them about. He pussied out, really.
>>
>>3042486
Do you have any idea how obsessed and mentally disturbed you come off for being stuck up on what lame shit a random stranger did 15 or so years ago when they were in highschool? If shoplifting is the lamest and worst shit Dave did as a kid, then good for him.
>>
>>3042511
you're the one obsessed here, Dave. I replied it was lame to hold on to a sorry excuse of sob story, get over it. You're a pussy and you make pussy work.
>>
>>3042465
So, did he fake his process images? Because I sure don't see any photobashing going on here.
>>
>>3042563
Stop feeding the troll, my man. Let him wallow in his jealousy.
>>
>>3040153
I'm not sure Rapoza would agree with that nowadays since it's years and years old. He's a hard worker definitely but he's said on twitch that he bullshitted a lot of time away in the younger half of his 20s. And that he wished he knew how to work smarter and spent more time on physical health, rather than burning himself out on grinding constantly.
>>
>>3042563

Dude, I'm not talking about ALL of his work. I'm not jealous either. I'm the guy who's saying that it's completely OK to photobash when it makes your work better/quicker. He's one of my favorite artists btw.

I'm mostly talking about the stuff where he has a lot of foliage and rocks. It's pretty clear that he's photobashing that stuff and overpainting everything which is completely fucking cool in my book when your art looks good.
>>
>>3041276
There are really no professional artist on this board. Just what I thought...
>>
File: 1498677619630.jpg (1MB, 1149x1165px) Image search: [Google]
1498677619630.jpg
1MB, 1149x1165px
>>3041705
>>3042563
just zoom in, and you'll see the blur from all the bad liquify/resize tool use, which is a basic tool for photobashing. you're not going to tell me he put all that time painting those pants and decided to use liquify to correct himself. and just look at those low resolution bandages blurs...
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.