[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QUESTION! Hows does one start a splash art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: lOUx7Z9.jpg (458KB, 5084x3034px) Image search: [Google]
lOUx7Z9.jpg
458KB, 5084x3034px
Hey all, was wondering at what size does one start a character portrait in Photoshop? is larger honestly better for a portfolio piece or is it up to the discretion of the artist?

Also, bonus points, can anyone point me in the direction of a good character design / digital painting book geared towards the game design industry? Looking to break into environments and general character design w/ emphasis on blocking in shapes rather than line drawing for the sake of efficiency, Thanks.
>>
>>3039165
Paint in photoshop with large files. atleast 4000x4000 pixels with a resolution of 300.

that being said start your painting zoomed out. focus on the thumbnail and then as you progress zoom in for the details.
>>
>>3039169

4000x4000 you say? alright cool, is that an acceptable portfolio size? thanks mate
>>
>>3039175
After you finish. Make sure you scale it down to around 1000x1000 pixels.
>>
>>3039175
no prob anon.
>>
>>3039181

oh ok, thanks! also, can you point me in the direction of any good books?
>>
>>3039183

yea..but u have to suck my wee wee first.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZo25fFBJsA
>>
>>3039169
>>3039169

> atleast 4000x4000 pixels with a resolution of 300.

Triggered.

4000px x 4000px is the resolution.

"300" is the DPI.

DPI is irrelevant to the resolution. A 4000x4000px document at 72 DPI is the same as a 4000x4000px document at 300 DPI.

DPI is used in regards to printing. A printer might be able to print at 300 DPI quality. Say you're making a 10 inch by 12 inch print - to calculate the resolution, you multiply the DPI by the inches. In this instance, the resolution you need to work at then needs to be at least 3000px by 3600px.
>>
>>3039264
Fuck off idiot.
>>
>>3039264
But aren't you getting more Dots Per Inch?
Doesn't that mean Photoshop has to cram more information per inch in a document that is 300dpi than 72dpi? Wouldn't that just be having a higher resolution?

Couldn't I make the comparison to computer screens? Like if I set my 1920x1080 screen to a 800x600 resolution...I'm going to see less information than if I did it's native resolution, right? The size of the monitor didn't change, but the amount of information (resolution) that the monitor is showing did change. Isn't that what DPI is? Or is that more accurately what PPI is?
>>
>>3039243

damn, good stuff. I would love a good book to help me through things like this to study in greater detail. anyone?
>>
>>3039165
Anyone else feel like the image would have been better if the light scenario also included at least some of the mask?
>>
>>3039366
personally i hate splash art. it's like furry art but for gay nerds.
>>
>>3039361
>I would love a good book to help me through things like this
What do you mean by this?
You think you can find all the answers you need in a book?
>>
>>3039361
fucking google dumb ass. nobody knows what your taste is.

stop helping this faggot
>>
>>3039370

just anything really, some painting tuts on digital painting concept art or anything that specifies anything that i dont understand about the process. different approaches are always welcome, just trying to examine from different angles i guess

>>3039375

k
>>
File: kayn-the-shadow-reaper-1920x1080.jpg (149KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
kayn-the-shadow-reaper-1920x1080.jpg
149KB, 1600x900px
How hard is it to be able to color like this?
>>
>>3039309
>Doesn't that mean Photoshop has to cram more information per inch in a document that is 300dpi than 72dpi?

No. Photoshop only uses DPI for fonts.

You can even set it to 1 and it makes no difference.
>>
>>3039405
color isn't the hard part. the drawing, values, and lighting is what makes it good. he could've used any colors and it wouldn't have mattered.
>>
>>3039408
Wtf /ic/ makes no sense sometimes.
>>
>>3039474
https://youtu.be/xUBV67J9s3A?t=4m35s
>>
>>3039474
The thing is, in photoshop it doesn't make a difference but some other programs it does, and if you print you still want to have your DPI up high to start with or your print is still going to look fucked up.
>>
>>3039165
just make dpi 300 regardless.
>>
>>3039522
So if you plan on printing
Make it as high as possible.

If it's going to stay digital make it whatever, but the canvas size "xbox hueg"?
>>
>>3039405
>this is a real champion
wew lad i thought it was someone's edgy oc
>>
>>3039165
Are you literally devoid of proactivity?
>>
>>3039474
DPI is a function that tells the software how many pixels you want per square inch when you set your file size by mm or inches. When you set your file size by pixels you've already solved the function of how many pixels you want your file size to be.
>>
>>3039165
ask your UI artist first where they'll put the buttons and the title before starting the splash art so you would know the areas of the canvas to avoid.

Once that is cleared you can make a layout for the splash art.

Also make sure that your art is scaleable in terms of ratio. A standard splashart is around16:9 and account to some bleeds just in case there's are some nescessary revisions. so it's most likley 17:11 ratio since the length rarely matters.

Lastly, make sure to layer every element of the illustration nicely just in case they want to resize the image in the future that'll mess up the standard screen ratio.

>t. some guy who worked in some splash art for games.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.