[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

practice thread: METALS

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12

File: sheet.png (593KB, 2251x2739px) Image search: [Google]
sheet.png
593KB, 2251x2739px
let's further our understanding of all things metallic.

pic related is the practice sheet. the idea is to look up reference and then fill in the silhouettes, painting them to look metallic, focusing on getting the material properties right -- surface roughness, reflection strength, fresnel, etc.

there were some nuggets of good info in the latex thread before it drowned in e-celeb stuff. that's what inspired this thread. hopefully we'll get some good discussion out of this. if nothing else, seeing how fellow anons approach the same silhouettes should be useful just by way of comparing and contrasting.

i'll be doing a couple a day as part of my warmups, but you go at your own pace. i'm hoping to do a similar thread on plastics next week, so suggestions on how the thread/exercise could be improved would be appreciated. i know the resources section is thin. i can't google for shit.

resources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7juWm5srN9g
https://www.behance.net/gallery/35636521/Material-Studies-Metals
if you've got info or links that might be useful, please do share.
>>
File: 170626.jpg (167KB, 1436x684px) Image search: [Google]
170626.jpg
167KB, 1436x684px
i got mine done for the day, following along with the youtube clip in op.
>>
What is a good way to build a visual library of armor? I've gotten a pretty decent visual library of the human body but I've been struggling to build one of armor for the past few months.
>>
File: hgf1.jpg (1MB, 2251x2739px) Image search: [Google]
hgf1.jpg
1MB, 2251x2739px
phew, that was hard work, good exercise!
>>
>>3037622
use the same process you used to build you visual library of the human body?
>>3037626
good job. i left a bit of the underlying images show through so people could get a sense of what the forms look like.
>>
>>3037626
>>3037630
He literally just found the images and pasted them
>>
>>3037661
There are no words, phrases, books or scientific papers to describe how much that went over your head.
>>
File: 1706262.jpg (189KB, 1024x1043px) Image search: [Google]
1706262.jpg
189KB, 1024x1043px
second batch. i'll keep this thread alive a day or two more, and if i'm still the only one doing the exercise by then i'll let it die.
>>
>>3037663
I was just pretending to be retarded
>>
File: 170626.jpg (326KB, 1024x1246px) Image search: [Google]
170626.jpg
326KB, 1024x1246px
done. fun exercise. sucks no one else was into it. gonna let this thread die now.
>>
>>3040008
fun exercise
iam need to finish it ( also if i got time i will make another tamplete)
>>
>>3040735
im glad you're enjoying the exercise, anon! hope you'll post your results once you finish (and the extra template if you end up making it.)
>>
>>3037603
I actually want to see more threads like this anon, I would have delivered something had I not totally forgotten about it while I was on the bus, tomorrow maybe.
>>
>>3042462
cool. glad there's some interest. don't feel like you need to do all the silhouettes if you don't have the time or inclination. pick one or two that seem interesting and focus on those.
>>
same with >>3042462 this guy, I'm honestly glad for this thread and had been planning on doing the exercise.
I just haven't been at home the past few days (access to tablet/programs), but starting on it now.

your work is great btw, adding the dots and arrows indicating light source and materials being reflected helped me think about rendering metals differently.

actually I think it'd be really cool if you made more silhouette templates like these, and expand the thread to other materials/surfaces too!
>>
Ooh nice thread. The lack of participation just shows that anons are lazy and triggered by actually studying

I will participate too, though pretty busy with the freelance
>>
File: helmet.png (84KB, 383x347px) Image search: [Google]
helmet.png
84KB, 383x347px
>>3042826 here, attempted the first one so far, I'll post next when I'm done with a few more.
>>
>>3042849
>whines about lazy anons that are lazy and don't participate
>doesn't participate either
Nice bait.
>>
File: 1498506212665.jpg (19KB, 383x590px) Image search: [Google]
1498506212665.jpg
19KB, 383x590px
This metal dick is really hard - I'll have to play with it more.
>>
File: Ring.jpg (68KB, 885x887px) Image search: [Google]
Ring.jpg
68KB, 885x887px
Here's my attempt:
I have to give my thanks to >>3038711 and his own drawings for helping me to understand how to approach metal a bit better

If this becomes a thing in the future I hope there's a gem challengue because honestly I have no idea how light works inside of them
>>
>>3042826
>actually I think it'd be really cool if you made more silhouette templates like these, and expand the thread to other materials/surfaces too!
i had originally intended on making separate threads for different materials, but yeah, it's probably a better idea to expand this thread. i've made a template for plastic, but if anyone wants to make additional templates for metal or for other materials they'd like to study, please feel free to post em in this thread.

>>3042850
>>3043354
>>3043732
<3

>>3043354
while you're playing, try darkening up the core shadow.

>>3043732
>If this becomes a thing in the future I hope there's a gem challengue because honestly I have no idea how light works inside of them
gems would be cool. i've got commission work coming up, so i might not have time to do a template, but i'll make one if i can.
>>
File: plastictemplate.png (485KB, 2589x3150px) Image search: [Google]
plastictemplate.png
485KB, 2589x3150px
here's the plastics template. i let the underlying images show through again so you can get a better sense of the underlying form. if you prefer pure silhouettes, just do a quick level-adjustment.
>>
Note to self to do this after dinner. Gonna have to be painting metal soon, could really use the practice. Thanks, OP.
>>
>>3044680
>first one on the second row
>>
>>3044695
An entire sheet on inorganic materials like silicone or metal could be made of dildos/butt plugs alone.
>>
aw yes nigga, I love metals and have been putting off studying them forever. I'm in.
>>
File: how.png (168KB, 1181x363px) Image search: [Google]
how.png
168KB, 1181x363px
this is some straight up bullshit.
>>
>>3046149
im not too good at this stuff either, so take my crit with a grain of sand, but for that middle helmet: be more mindful of how the form turns. check out the top of the visor for instance. if you shoot a ray from your eye to that spot, it would bounce up into the sky. so that form--at least the part that curves away from you--should reflect the sky. same thing with the collar thingy at the bottom. it's facing the sky, so while some parts would reflect the bottom of the helmet, the tips would reflect the sky, even if the surrounding trees are pretty close.
>>
File: plastic1.jpg (294KB, 1280x941px) Image search: [Google]
plastic1.jpg
294KB, 1280x941px
bump.

struggling with plastics.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.