[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Painting becoming a female only discipline?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

Before I being I'm not trying to start some /pol/ teir, gendershit thread.
So I signed up for some art courses held by local artist association in my area that operates out of a re-purposed torpedo/munitions factory in the D.C metro area.

Every single student and teacher was a female in all three of my classes. I was the only guy in the watercolor, oil painting and figure drawing classes. Not complaining a lot of my class mates were QT weeb types and I get along well. But I do ask the question...

Is art specifically painting and drawing become and "female" thing? I tell my guy friends I work with oils and watercolors and get weird looks, "Like huh you don't play video games, sport and chase tail?" Then I see at the local art supply store a lot of equipment and supplies are made with a feminine audience in mind. Like pink/hello kitty wet canvas holders, ect.

Whats causing this?
>>
theres a difference between art and art class. in art class you follow a quite a narrow path. if you do it all by yourself you are much freer or something. i guess men tend to want go learn by themselves more
>>
>>3037350
Females in general make up majority of artists but men make up the higher percentage of in-house jobs; it isn't a mystery. One gender does it for a living (majority) the other hobbyist. The females that do get hired at studios are the select choice asian females for the fantasy of the few upper bosses that have yellow fever.

Hobby crafts stores have a hard time selling their merchandise as it is so they market to women and the elderly who 'want their golden time fun painting seagulls at the coast'.
>>
>>3037350
yes most people studying art are female. it's a naturally feminine thing.
>>
I suppose it's just upbringing sometimes like you mentioned you got weird looks. Somewhere along the road of growing up for some reason people started thinking art is gay/feminine. Maybe because people believe the point of art generally is to make pretty things and concerning yourself with "pretty things" is feminine.
So maybe thats why women feel unhindered and freely and without care join in art groups and attempt drawing where male beginners might be completely put off of art because of ridicule/weird looks or take a very long time to just make the leap and start.
That's just my two cents tho. I as a female artist don't rly like working in groups and shit because it's mostly females and they're mostly not serious. But then again I'm a shut in and have social anxiety so I might aswell be just biased.
I dunno senpai, in the end does it rly matter? Just find people (men or women) who are on the same page as you and take gitting gud as seriously as you do. Fuck the rest
>>
>>3037367
I feel like that can be,
I live in Maine here's a 10001x painting of a Maine coastline, beach, harbor
>>
Going to classes is becoming a female only thing, not art. And the majority of men have always viewed being an artist as a gay waste of time.
>>
File: 1498155439501.png (41KB, 1320x1084px) Image search: [Google]
1498155439501.png
41KB, 1320x1084px
>>3037408
OP here, have I really been living under a rock.
>>
>>3037408
this, I took some class in high school and it was all females.
>>
I feel like graffiti would be considered the hip hop of traditional and maybe giant sculpture building as the hardcore metal.
>>
>>3037425
as long as they're metal sculptures
>>
At my art and design school,
Illustration and Entertainment Design has a good mix of females to males (favoring females slightly).
Product Design and Transportation is pretty heavily swayed in males favor.
Graphic Design, Crafts, Advertising is well mixed.
Fine Arts, Interior Design, and Fashion Accessories, Art Education and Photography are more heavily swayed in females.

That's just at my school, could be vastly different anywhere else.

It really depends on where you go. Art used to be an all-boys-club for the longest time, but I feel there were always a lot of women still creating art, they just were never represented as much as the male counterpart. However, with the "Feminist" movement, women are becoming more confident to actually make sure they have a "part" of history. Also with the digital age with wacom tablets getting more and more accessible, people of any demographic (less on the elderly age, but look at craig mullins. He's old and he works digitally).

Also women have different brains than men. They have a different interpretation of color and sense of design and form that is actually quite fresh. I'm not talking about "lol I'm just a nerdy artist *^_^* " girls, I'm talking about real, qualified, professional artists that thrive within their field. They don't take advantage of the fact that they're "women" rather they make good art "allowing" them to partake with the growing collection of art "we" call "worthy."
Things in quotes are arguable and thus shouldn't be taken as concrete terms.
>>
>>3037350
Ignore all the theories about gender preferences and innate ability for the moment. Historically men gravitate towards higher-paying careers out of necessity, which caused women to gravitate towards careers with less competition from men. It's a perfectly sound strategy.

Look at higher-paying fields within art, such as production/technical design, and you'll see a more balanced mix of people.
>>
>>3037367
>The females that do get hired at studios are the select choice asian females for the fantasy of the few upper bosses that have yellow fever.

The stupid drivel that pours out of this board...
>>
>>3037725
You're telling me if you had the chance, you wouldn't hire an Asian?
>>
>>3037725
>The stupid drivel that pours out of this board...
Or maybe you are so delusional you can't see the reality inf your face.
It's going to be very hard for men to have any jobs very soon and part of the reason the people with the power to hire are going to hire whores because you don't even really need men anymore for many now automated tasks.
>>
>>3037420

Don't... don't actually listen to these people. They're idiots. They know nothing.

Come to L.A. Hang out with the animation crowd. I tell you truly that this is a man's world.

There are plenty of women in animation, but it's still majority men. It used to be overwhelmingly men.

There may be more women art hobbyists, but that means nothing at the professional level.

Also, the idea that "art" is perceived as a feminine hobby is nonsense. It's all about subject matter. If you draw "feminine" subject matters, you may be seen as a sissy, but if you draw masculine subject matter, the only reaction you'll get from normies is "Awesome"!

But if you're an adult you really shouldn't care anyway.
>>
>>3037739

I already work in a studio. I have a first row seat at market and hiring trends. I know why people get hired, and I know what employers are looking for.

You on the other hand are a pathetic weakling making excuses for your own failure. You will amount to nothing because you're more interested in blaming others than finding a solution to your problems.

>>3037735

I'd hire whoever was best for the job.
>>
>>3037747
And you will also have the front row seat when you fired for gender equality and/or a lecherous boss.

Feel good about yourself that the men who lost out to women because of quotas and education being slanted to women's favor are just "pathetic weaklings". The statistics will add up when the hurt of unemployment hit you first and you will also be the first to complain.
>>
>>3037725

But you know it's true. After all it's California.
>>
>>3037754

I'm not interested in your excuses, maggot. You know nothing, and that void of knowledge lets you create a fantasy world where you are blameless in your own shortcomings.

I don't know whether to pity or despise you.
>>
>>3037759

I live in California. In many ways I despise it, but at least it's for reasons connected to reality.
>>
>>3037767

I'm glad we come to an agreement.
>>
women are more interested in color and can see more colors than men so that's probably a pretty big factor
>>
File: Know the difference.jpg (572KB, 2492x1398px) Image search: [Google]
Know the difference.jpg
572KB, 2492x1398px
>>3037350
Girly, childish art vs. professional, serious art

Know the difference.
>>
File: 1495918484494.jpg (121KB, 520x588px) Image search: [Google]
1495918484494.jpg
121KB, 520x588px
>>3037725
Being this butt hurt over something some guy says that could still be true in some cases, literally had an acquaintance of mine join an animation studio only to end up marrying the jew that hired her, she's Chinese by the way. Just because it hurt your feelings doesn't mean it isn't true of the world we live in pr a possibility.
>>
>>3040172
wow, jesus. thanks for the reminder that this is 4chan, kill yourself please.
>>
>>3040172

I was going to respond to this post but then I saw the image you posted, and realized you're just another worthless idiot. Give up already; you've already failed.
>>
File: 6cd[1].png (100KB, 1254x261px) Image search: [Google]
6cd[1].png
100KB, 1254x261px
>>3040172
some semblance of hope here

>>3040198
>>3040337
Absolutely destroyed

>>3037350

I believe that since women are quickly catching up to men in terms of college attendance, this explains why you're seeing so many more women artists than men. It is one of those degrees that are easy as fuck to get so long as you can pass the non related prerequisites.
Much like liberal arts; graphic design, bachelor of arts, painting, photography etc. are all things that basically teach you how to use your hands and what materials you need to do said degree. Yeah they'll teach you how to compose and give you vast amounts of resources to work with, but at the end of the day it all basically the golden fucking ratio and find a specific niche to cater to. Anyone can do it, but women have the free time and obsessive compulsiveness to pursue what would be easily accessible knowledge to men.
More men go for STEM and computer coding jobs, construction and general labor, landscaping, stocks.. they don't find art as appealing because it doesn't make them feel any more intelligent and doesn't pay as much.
>>
Women tend to make up the majority of a lot of things but they lack the serious commitment needed to pursue those things. It's not uncommon for a woman to get married or pregnant and drop EVERYTHING in her life to focus on that. You will have amazing artists decide that romance/marriage needs to become priority number one at detriment to their hobby. Because that's really what a lot of this shit is to women, a hobby, not a passion. Men live and breathe art while women merely enjoy it briefly as a bottom priority hobby.
>>
>>3040484
jesus christ that screencap is unparalleled levels of cringe

some memes from 2006 were actually garbage
>>
>>3040625
>.02 cents has been deposited into your account
>>
>>3037725
>this board
kek
the drivel that pours out of every hole on 4chan when you give anons a chance to express serious opinions
>>
>>3040727

Point taken. It seems worse when it's a board supposedly dedicated to something constructive, though.
>>
>>3040337
>I had a really good argument I swear but now I just can't even
>>
>>3040615
>Women tend to make up the majority of a lot of things but they lack the serious commitment needed to pursue those things. It's not uncommon for a woman to get married or pregnant and drop EVERYTHING in her life to focus on that. You will have amazing artists decide that romance/marriage needs to become priority number one at detriment to their hobby. Because that's really what a lot of this shit is to women, a hobby
If the child is already born then what's the alternative? Drop him or her off at the orphanage so that you can continue to dabble in landscapes? Most people couldn't do that.
>>
>>3037350
what a retarded thread
>>
>>3037350
That's funny. I've taken figure drawing classes at the torpedo factory and the male to female student ratios were usually 1:1. Can't speak for the painting classes, but I think we've had dissimilar experiences at the dame place. Out of curiosity, what days of the week and times of day were you signing up for?
>>
>>3045177
>dame place
What a serendipitous typo.
I'm also a man, btw.
>>
>>3037350
That's not my experience at all, particularly if you look at the online community. You're going to find far more dedicated male artists than female artists.
However, women are social creatures, so while men might focus more obsessively on improving and the craft itself, women are more likely to care about going to classes, having other people suck their proverbial cock, being part of a community and showing off their equipment. You can also tell that the communities that follow male and female artists tend to be very different, particularly if the art appeals more to one gender than the other.

If you look at the top artists, the vast majority of them are men, and a good chunk of them aren't particularly social people.
>>
>>3040172
Man, that picture is hilariously accurate.
>>
>>3038717
Nice bait fucking retard.
>>
File: ynq3lfb.png (178KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
ynq3lfb.png
178KB, 500x374px
>>3037350
Males are smart enough to either learn online or go to Watts atelier (after having looked it up online). Dumb females who barely learned how to go on facebook love wasting money on overpriced courses, and apparently so do you.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.