[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3d animators

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: p17420_p_v8_ab.jpg (301KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p17420_p_v8_ab.jpg
301KB, 960x1440px
It's been 22 years since Toy Story marked the beginning of commercially successful feature length 3D animation.

Name five 3D animators who are revered among the public (or animation fans) for their talent in the craft

Lasseter is the Walt Disney of 3D era but who (or where) are the Milt Kahl's and Bill Tytla's of 3D animation?
>>
>>3035881

Probably hyper, he works at Respawn now.

https://youtu.be/hRm-BSukPds
>>
I study Animation at University but I'm leaning more towards the art department side of things/visual development/story artist/concept art/sculpting.

3D animators are in a bit of a weird place in that from what I've observed, they don't seem to get much recognition. Many well-known animators are celebrated because of their work in traditional animation.

Most well-known animators are known because they were pioneers (or at least great businessmen), and/or are revered for their mastery of the craft. Maybe there hasn't been enough time for people to really make a name for themselves in 3D animation, maybe there are so many 3D animators around the same skill level that not many really stand out in the same way.

I can name a number of brilliant 3D artists who do digital sculpting and modelling but I'm struggling to name any well known 3D animators off the top of my head, which is a shame because there are some damn talented people out there.
>>
>>3035881
Yuhei Sakuragi
http://jetpic02.blogspot.com/

Hayao Miyazaki who hates CG even teamed up with him to make a 3D movie.
>>
>>3035897
It's harder to see an individual's style in 3D animation than 2D animation.
I imagine that's why they don't get as much recognition.
>>
>>3035907
This + the fact that it's a new discipline?
>>
>>3035959
If we say that Steamboat Willie is the "Toy story" of Traditional animation, then twenty years from there, late 40's, the industry had already established many prominent and even legendary figures.

Of course the public probably wasn't too aware of them, but I'm sure people interested in the art were, while the same cannot be said for animators 20 years after the 3D revolution.

It could be because drawing and traditional animation is more "romantic" and relatable than 3D. If an animator made a breakthrough in technique, he did it with his own two hands and brain. The true heroes of 3D animation are software engineers who develop the new technology, that's where the breakthroughs happen and I'm sure some of these people are quite well known in their respective scenes.
>>
>>3035988
>he did it with his own two hands and brain
This came across wrong.

What I mean is that the result is something "tangible", where as 3D breakthroughs happen digitally with a whole bunch of coding and other stuff that people can't relate to.
>>
cgi is shit
>>
>>3035881
It's all about the rigs. I think all animators should make their own character rigs that suit their animation styles but that is a time consuming process so we have animators using the same rigs so no one really stands out.
>>
>>3035903
Who?
>>
Isn't everything motion controlled? Or at least most of it is, I thought.
>>
>>3035881
not hating on the artists.but 3d animation is SHIT.
>>
>>3039088
In live action productions, yes.

For cartoons that doesn't work because the movements will look uncanny.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.