[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting worse

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1494630216596.png (568KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494630216596.png
568KB, 1280x720px
>Started drawing 2 months ago for fun
>They sucked at first, but then became decent-ish
>Used to shit them out naturally on a regular basis
>Break because personal stuff
>Coming back feeling lost
>Started to study recently to stop being a shitter
>Feeling uncomfortable and stressed
>Working at a slower and more unproductive rate

Is this real, why this happens and how to get rid of it?
>>
Just keep drawing, fellow aquafag.
>>
law of diminishing returns

the further along the expertise curve you go, the same amount of effort begins to yield less and less.

for example, say you believe in the 10,000 hours make you an expert meme:

the first 10k puts you at an arbitrary "level 10 artist" with level 100 being the max. (level 100 is whoever you idolize, consider great, better than you and is generally accepted by most to be a great artist)

the second 10k hours puts you at lvl.15
the third 10k hours puts you at lvl.17
the fourth 10k at lvl.18

and the solution isn't to work harder or longer, we have physical limits. You have to strategize.

Work smarter: (which basically means question your own methods and seek alternatives and then afterwards question the alternate methods)
Set aside time for hobbies ( or other avenues of creativity, sculpt, paint, play animal crossing or some shit)
SOCIALIZE for fucks sake ( but never say you are "depressed" to normalfags or they'll put you on antidepressants faster than you can say prozac)
be insane and crazy, but in healthy relaxing, stress reducing ways (google primal screaming, punch a pillow, take a bath with candles, SHAVE = hygiene in general)
go on an artist date yourself where you buy shiny new materials
>>
>>3033882
fucking read the sticky in beg thread its fucking explained.
>>
>>3033919
>SOCIALIZE for fucks sake
That doesn't make a difference.
>>
>>3033882
Start doing other studies like color, perspective and use other methods.
The only way to overcome diminishing returns is to study other subjects or use different approaches.
>>
File: Beats by Dre.jpg (1MB, 2286x3108px) Image search: [Google]
Beats by Dre.jpg
1MB, 2286x3108px
>>3033882
Don't be ashamed of your work, I will always be worse
>>
>>3034990
Nigga draw that leg so that just the shoe is showing. No one breaks their legs while raising it. Go look at a pic of someome raising their leg. Draw WHAT YOU SEE NOT WHAT YOU LNOW
>>
>>3033919
>SOCIALIZE for fucks sake ( but never say you are "depressed" to normalfags or they'll put you on antidepressants faster than you can say prozac)
>be insane and crazy, but in healthy relaxing, stress reducing ways (google primal screaming, punch a pillow, take a bath with candles, SHAVE = hygiene in general)
>go on an artist date yourself where you buy shiny new materials
This is my favourite section of your post, sounds like there's a story there
>>
>>3033919

>2 months of practice
>law of diminishing returns

Yeah, no.
>>
Tired of telling people this, but your drawings aren't getting worse, you're just seeing better than before. It means you'll see a burst of improvement soon.

Human brain isn't as consistent as we'd like it to be, all you can do is keep at it and you'll have some good days and some bad days.
>>
>>3033882

1. Chill out
2. Draw what you'd like to draw, something that would up your confidence. It might be straight-up copy/trace of something, whatever, just to keep you feeling better about your ability and art
3. Draw more what you'd like, abandon studies
4. Re-evaluate at the end of each week what you did, go back to your pieces, study them, write down in points what works and what doesn't, say it outloud if you must
5. Redraw if you want
6. Keep going like that for few months
7. If some particular problem is coming back, research it by videos or books
8. Scrape some money and go to local atelier/school that teaches 18 year olds that want to go to art university or to architecture

There you have. If "fundamentals" in /ic/ sense are killing you and feel pointless, then they are pointless and you should abandon them. If you do something you don't understand why are you doing, then you gain 0 benefits from it.

Just draw, have fun, be analytical after having fun and come back to your art seeking improvement.
>>
File: 1469329272244.gif (224KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469329272244.gif
224KB, 400x240px
>>3035019
>An actual good, insightful and practical advice on /ic/
>>
>>3035023

Seriously, it's so fucking obvious but people here seem to not get it at all. Even fucking Sinix that people on /ic/ know tells about it when he goes through his older sketchbooks:

"Oh, here I had rough period, my art was going worse, I see adnotations are pretty depressing, what's there next page...ahh, it's a trace, yeah, something to keep me going, I see in next days I did some studies and copies, started coming back...ok, here art is getting better..."
>>
>>3033882
Get on my level
>Do sketches
>Think they look decent at the time
>Next day
>They arent as good as I remember
>Finish them off
>They look even worse
>>
>>3033882
>stop doing something for a while
>get rusty
wow how'd that happen
Everyone of all skill levels suffer from this with every skill. Give it a couple weeks of regular practice and you'll be feeling it again.
>>3035579
I've seen several big guys suggest not leaving anything half-finished for another day. No matter how good you are, you'll notice flaws you didn't when you were engrossed and familiarized with the piece, and trying to finish that generally results in a mess. At least finishing it the day before lets you come back and see exactly where you go wrong in every stage.
>>
>>3033919
SOCIALIZE for fucks sake ( but never say you are "depressed" to normalfags or they'll put you on antidepressants faster than you can say prozac)
be insane and crazy, but in healthy relaxing, stress reducing ways (google primal screaming, punch a pillow, take a bath with candles, SHAVE = hygiene in general)
It seems IC shares an special kind of mentallity after all.
>>
>>3033882
You need to calm the fuck down and draw slower. Focus on what you're doing. Measure things.
>>
>>3033921
It does. Being around other creative people can motivate you to create.
>>
>>3033921
the balls are inert
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.