[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"You can develop your style easier, if you learn from millage

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

"You can develop your style easier, if you learn from millage without tutorials"

Discuss
>>
That's true to some extent. Tutorials make things infinitely easier because someone already found the design and broke it down in a way that's understandable. You just need to practice a lot, it's not a one time thing with tutorials like most people think. It's not meant for copying. Also, mileage without tutorials would mean you're always figuring things out on your own. Good luck with that, that's called reinventing the wheel. However, since you're talking about your style, you would have to define what that even means since you're always drawing in your own style. The instant you use tutorials, you're being influenced by others, is that still your style or is it someone else's style?
>>
>>3033795
My friend and I both started Scott Robinsons tutorials(book and videos that have same content), our drawings look the same as Scotts, because the way he teaches how to draw is very mechanical and methodical.

I've been drawing for a year now and feel like I have less ideas now than I had when I started
>>
>>3033789
what is millage?
>>
>>3034271
mileage*
>>
File: car.jpg (251KB, 800x717px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
251KB, 800x717px
doodling is responsible for like 90% of any decent artist's progress
>>
>>3033808
>I've been drawing for a year now and feel like I have less ideas now than I had when I started

That's part of the process. The first step to learning is realizing how little you know. You haven't got fewer ideas, you just have a more realistic estimation of your ability to execute them. I.e., you realize that most of your ideas are so far beyond your skill level that you couldn't pull them off.

you're on the right track. art is all about learning to fail. eventually, even your failures start looking pretty good. you'll still hate them, but other people will think they're awesome and maybe even pay you for them. welcome to art!
>>
>>3034400
>you're on the right track. art is all about learning to fail. eventually, even your failures start looking pretty good. you'll still hate them, but other people will think they're awesome and maybe even pay you for them. welcome to art!
Is there anything else in the world that's similar to the failure rate in art?
>>
File: IMG_3920.jpg (186KB, 800x710px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3920.jpg
186KB, 800x710px
>>3034405
>drawing as a kid and not going anywhere with it means you're a failed artist
wew
>>
>>3034407
I-it was a legitimate question. I'm curious if there is or not, doctors, accountants and stuff don't suffer the same failure rate.
>>
>>3034405

It's hard to think of any. Art is like the perfect storm for failure. On one hand, how good your art is is very hard to measure objectively and your success is subject to unpredictable variables like fads and the needs of constantly changing industries. On the other hand, the competition is ruthless because so many people love to do art and want to make their living at it. And on the OTHER hand, art is completely nonessential and functionally useless.
>>
File: IMG_3922.jpg (260KB, 1000x854px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3922.jpg
260KB, 1000x854px
Sure art is "useless" but you can convince people they want it anyways, and people will always seek it.
You can be a good artist and still fail completely because you don't know how to sell yourself.
A worse artist who is better at shilling than you will be more successful.
>>
File: blue-sugar-pot.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
blue-sugar-pot.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
Adding to >>3034423
The artist that did this piece has dozens upon dozens of clay pots, many of this quality, and many more ornate, does embroidery, makes clothes, and draws, but hasn't sold a single piece despite doing art fulltime for a few decades (!!!).
>>
>>3034410
>And on the OTHER hand, art is completely nonessential and functionally useless.

Maybe if you're a fine artist. Game studios and Hollywood wouldn't spend millions of $ on visual development if it was nonessential and useless for their projects.
>>
>>3033789
What are you trying to develop, a style or a skill?
If you want style, then yes, perhaps.
If you want skill, then the opposite.

If you want both (and I assume you do), then you'd better find a healthy balance between the two.
If you find your style and creativity lacking behind your fundamental skills, you should focus more on mileage and vice versa.

Shit's obvious, why do we need a whole thread about this.
>>
>>3034405
Sports?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.