[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I stop making comics

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Hi, I've been drawing for 2 years now and recently I've been getting feedback that my art is trash. I mean I know it isn't great but I feel it's passable for comics? Like, if the story is good then readers will read it?

I was reading this article about comic making that said you should study anatomy and perspective for 2 years before even starting? do you agree with that?
>>
Don't stop. Any self respecting artist should welcome criticism and want to improve their work. So yes you should study some anatomy.
>>
>>3032423
Yes it's trash but you shouldn't stop. Continue drawing while studying fundamentals
>>
>it's another 'pretend to be an autist' bait thread and retards desperate to give advice will still respond to it
you aren't the creator of this comic, he can barely speak english. sage and hidden
>>
File: img426.jpg (43KB, 425x299px) Image search: [Google]
img426.jpg
43KB, 425x299px
To me,this page looks like a Super Rough,something one makes fast and quickly to plan out a comic in terms of panel construction, dialog and plotting. Since you have no deadlines redraw the story and put the serious details in,and see what you get. Don't be hesitant about using a sketchbook to work out the various characters and props more fully. You can do better than this. Do better.
>>
>>3032423
It's fucking terrible right now but you can fix this, we believe in you.
>>
>>3032700
How terrible? like sycra terrible?
>>
>>3032724
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below sycra tier. He gets a lot of shit but he is unironically better than most of /ic/.

As for your question, it is possible to make a successful comic with bad art if the writing and story make up for it (see ONE or most gag/webcomics) however my impression from this one page makes it seem like your storytelling won't really make up for the art, it doesn't really pull me in at all. also viewers are more likely to forgive poor art if they're reading something comedic but I think people are less likely to engage with serious subject matter if the art isn't up to scratch.

That progress isn't great for 2 years but that's cause you weren't practicing properly. I'd say you should take a few months off the comic and work on your fundies (drawabox, loomis, manga/comic studies) and then if you feel like you're up for it, jump back into continue if your comic while still slowly working on your fundies.
>>
>>3032423
If you have to ask, stop.

Comics are not profitable. Being a creator is always difficult. People who have fun all the time are probably amateurs. You will have to force yourself to draw time to time. You will have to be confronted with your mistakes and work on them. Good work requires sacrificing your time for the craft. You are either driven to create or you are not. If you like the idea of making a comic more than actually putting in the work and can't dedicate yourself to it, stop.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to drop your hobby and neither do I want you to stop pursueing art.
Yet, if you have to ask strangers about YOUR ambitions, you are clearly not cut for it. Make up your mind what you really want.

Besz of luck, regardless of your decision.
>>
File: 4_03.jpg (668KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
4_03.jpg
668KB, 1000x1500px
>>3032423
>you should study anatomy and perspective for 2 years before even starting

Thread is probably bait but just in case... fundamentals are the basis you build on top of. You could be a master of anatomy and still make the shittiest comics on Earth, meanwhile there are comic artists who are famous despite hiding the feet of their characters with smoke. Lacking the fundies just means that your art will forever lack the ability to look better than a draft, so definitely work on it but also work on improving your comics.

Read Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art, think about comics, read comics and dissect them, why are they working, why is it easy to understand what's going on.

Whatever you do, don't stop drawing comics for 2 years.
>>
File: 8ac1117c7d3ded4e607a9ee2488a4e19.jpg (965KB, 1500x2600px) Image search: [Google]
8ac1117c7d3ded4e607a9ee2488a4e19.jpg
965KB, 1500x2600px
>>3032423
Go read ONE's work (i.e., One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100). They are generally sketches, but a lot of people still read them for the story. If you have a good story, you can pull anyone in even with bad art. Also, like most mangaka, their art style improves over the course of them drawing the manga. Keep drawing your comics if you want to keep doing it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.