[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NOOB HELP - WATTS ATELIER

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: P51D Greatest Jet of WW2.jpg (718KB, 1648x2812px) Image search: [Google]
P51D Greatest Jet of WW2.jpg
718KB, 1648x2812px
Hey /ic/

I saved up 800$ that I plan to spend on art education. My goals are to master perspective, tone and anatomy with a side of industrial design to be able to create pretty much anything I wish. I've already gone through Scott Robertson's how to draw book, and although I still need more practice I sort of understanding to do an accurate model if necessary, even if it takes me 15 hours to do a simple plane (Pic related)

I was thinking of doing a whole year of Watts Atelier to dive into the fundamental skills of pencilwork, tone, anatomy and painting, as I feel these are the skills I need to focus more on. (My linework is horrible)

Think this is a good idea?
>>
For learning art yes I think it's a good idea to learn from Watts but it's only a good idea if it fits in your life and budget. If you were at an age where it would be smarter to save for a car for example you might want to do that.
>>
File: More hamptony.png (699KB, 734x1092px) Image search: [Google]
More hamptony.png
699KB, 734x1092px
Bump
>>
>>3032459

21. I don't have much need for a car atm (besides wanting to drift, which is not happening any time soon), I would probably get a cheap second hand 600cc bike if I need to move around.
>>
>>3032419
Only buy the drawing package.
you have to do it first and if it takes you more than a month (it should if you want to do it right) you would have wasted an extra 100 on the painting section that u never used. If you somehow finish the drawing section before then and really need to paint then you can just switch.
>>
>>3032559

Good thinking, I appreciate it. I was having a bit of doubts of what packages would be the best. I would love to get the 1 crit a week package, but it's way to expensive.
I'll get the core subscription.
>>
Get The painting program and download all the videos then use the remaining 500 on a course with more critique like the robotpencil mentorship.
>>
>>3032419
>My goals are to master perspective

https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html
>>
>>3032842

>Robotpencil mentorship.

Have you taken part in their mentorship programs?
>>
>>3032848

Yep, I am familiar with that source. Very nice explanation. I feel I need more practice with perspective than theory right now though, really need to get that free-hand dynamic sketching going.
>>
>>3032419
Um.. but why?
There's the artbook thread, Drawabox and Ctrl+Paint. Proko, Vilppu, Huston, Gnass and Scott can all be found on youtube, you can get plenty of art books from vk, Vandruff from torrents or just give him $10...

What else do you need? Understanding the principle is relatively simple, the hard part is actually putting in the hours.
>>
>>3032875

I need a better sense of direction, and thought Ateliers might be a good way to get grinding into something that's already well structured with good information and tips. Having to drop some money, we'll just give me another reason to stay on track.

I am kinda tired of putting 5 to 9 hours a day having to find my way on my own. I might consider the RobotPencil guys mentioned earlier by some Anon, really like the idea of mentorship or just getting a teacher.
>>
>>3032419
I recommend not spending all that money on courses if you're not yet comfortable with the material you have on books.

By the time you're intermediate you'll understand that there's very little to learn from video instructionals aside from "work hard and be critical". Most content is aimed at beginners anyway.
>>
>>3032890
What about getting a mentorship? I am kinda burned of having been so intense the last 6 to 8 month since I started drawing again.

Made some progress, but I am lacking in motivation. I think a teacher could help that.
>>
>>3032892
IMO start a project. It doesn't have to be anything complex, but having a project of sorts allows you to see results instead of just mindless grinding till you abstractly "get good".
>>
File: Warehouse assignment.jpg (378KB, 1744x1116px) Image search: [Google]
Warehouse assignment.jpg
378KB, 1744x1116px
>>3032894

Yeah, not a bad idea. That's what worked for me in the past, but I have to say I am quite burned of drawing atm.

Might be best just to buy Modafinil from India and chose any of the big fundies, it'll be cheaper at least...
>>
>>3032909
If that warehouse is an example of a project you haven't understood (no offense).

What I mean is you should do something you like and you're passionate about and use that to channel your study. My 2c of course but I stopped getting burned out once I started doing that regularly and it's also helped me stay out of my comfort zone.
>>
File: Mantis.jpg (248KB, 1924x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Mantis.jpg
248KB, 1924x1092px
>>3032911

>should do something you like and you're passionate about

Well that's going to be heard, my passion is short lived and fickle. I just like drawing, getting in the zone and having things come out right.

Lots of boring stuff to practice in the way there, really. Now that I think about it, most of the stuff I have are not even finished pieces, but rather studies of some sort that never got finished completely. Mostly because I am super lacking in skills like lighting, tone, painting...etc
>>
>>3032917
The only other thing I can think about is drawing from life. If you carry a sketchbook outside and pick subjects from nature it can be very reinvigorating.

You're at a very good point so I think it's more of a mindset matter
>>
File: CyborgEssenzahoe.png (2MB, 1872x996px) Image search: [Google]
CyborgEssenzahoe.png
2MB, 1872x996px
>>3032920

I was thinking that too, figured Ateliers would suit that nicely since it mainly focus on drawing from life, correctly. I'll wage my options, gather my thoughts and decide something.

Anyhow, thanks for bearing my mumbling. I appreciate all the posts in this thread. Any further advice very welcomed, specially from anyone who's gone through any kind of mentorship course.
>>
OP you fucking RETARD.

The cash you have saved is for paying the bills and the bare necessities of groceries so you won't starve to death. You don't actually buy expensive art tutorials in your situation just to be what, a moral fag? Guess what your competition doesn't give a FUCK about your morals. Your time is the most valuable asset you have. Literally everything you need for art theory is out there for download. There are plenty of other ways to set up a structure that involves having a sense of accountability without paying someone. Good luck.
>>
File: baking_with_inou.png (2MB, 1718x1620px) Image search: [Google]
baking_with_inou.png
2MB, 1718x1620px
>>3032419
Proko is Watts Atelier lite and a cheaper option.

However hard drives don't cost much and you can download everything to get good these days. I'd buy a nice fruit juicer with $800 and put away the rest for tasty snacks.
>>
>>3034899
>>3034919

Might get myself a nice set up for real-life studies with basic shapes and just grind that on my own.
>>
>>3032419

>$800

Why won't you for that money go to local atelier/art school that prepares young 18 year old people for art university or architecture? It will be a ton better because you'd get a lot of critique there, have working environment, meet other people that want to do stuff like you etc.

I mean, fuck, you have cgpeers, you have artbook thread, you have proko and shitton of other resources, so even if in that atelier people won't teach you something, you can do it on your own and what you'll get for your money is a lot more than Watts can offer you - an actual, frequent critique and interaction of people which, believe it or not, is fucking important.
>>
>>3035468

I live in a very isolated rural area, and do not own a vehicle except a bicycle I use to visit the nearest town, which is like a ghost town most of the year except of summer I'd love to attend a school, but I don't have the budget for that. Figured doing the core drawing from Ateliers (100$ a month) would be a good way to have access to a well organized path into life drawing, pencilwork and anatomy, skills in which I completely suck.
>>
File: Guns practise.jpg (405KB, 1536x922px) Image search: [Google]
Guns practise.jpg
405KB, 1536x922px
What sources would you guys recommend to learn basic pencilwork, life drawing, and anatomy? Perhaps, if possible one that would deal with all of them in one course?
>>
>>3032939
Also if you want to work from photos, don't use a photo like the one you posted. You need photos with natural light and no retouching.
>>
>>3035772

Oh, I didn't know. That pic is from /Beg/ threads. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>3035689
If you want to paint academically (direct copy):
Richard Schmid - Alla Prima
Accuracy by Dorian Iten, it's free -> https://gumroad.com/dorianiten
(If traditional) Mark Carder's YouTube channel, it's great
A crapton of practice

If you want to draw by construction (volumes etc.):
Any life drawing book (Bridgman, Loomis, etc.) I used Bridgman but think Hampton's Life Drawing: Design and Invention is a great book.
Scott Robertson - How to Draw
Scott Robertson - How to Render

For color theory there's Gurney's Color and Light: I don't think it's worth the price tag and it's a bit controversial here on /ic/, I'm not a fan of the book but it's the only one-off package with clearly laid out theory on color, pigments and how light works. For a beginner it's objectively a good read.

Good luck
>>
>>3035778

Noting this down for further reference, thank you very much. I appreciate it.
>>
Buy a Wacom tablet with that money if you don't have one.
>>
>>3035866

I do, I would like to stick to traditional for now though. I really want to get a gentle hand for lines.
>>
Op, I've decided to get myself a set up to study the basic objects under adequate lighting conditions and other basic materials, plus pay 2 months of Watts Atelier Core Drawing.
>>
File: charles bargue.jpg (276KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
charles bargue.jpg
276KB, 500x641px
>>3037387
Hey it's your money but this anon >>3035778
advice is solid. Watts spends 80% of the video (((teaching))) and 20% teaching. You can get those basic objects and use the book in the pic instead.
>>
>>3032419

Scott Robertson's only teach fundamentals, OP.
You need memorize that, no draw "all fucking perspective lines".

Lear Dynamic Sketching. And this will make more sense.
>>
File: Spider Construction.jpg (220KB, 1708x856px) Image search: [Google]
Spider Construction.jpg
220KB, 1708x856px
>>3037483

I know, I have also been working on free handing it like Peter Han does, but I still suck at it. Need shit lots of practice I guess
>>
File: Design Sketching.jpg (422KB, 825x1391px) Image search: [Google]
Design Sketching.jpg
422KB, 825x1391px
>>3037489
>>3037483

I get the idea, just need more work to get a better feel for it and just plain improve my draftmanship because it's terrible like I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>3037393

I snatched the master books from Watts Atelier available in GC Peers. I really like what I am saying, seems Watts is not only about getting good life drawing skills, but also those aspects of design needed for industry work (he literally has a small guide on aviation design which pretty much explains what I had to learn to make the P51 in the OP, perhaps even simpler). Also checked the videos on youtube, and I plain like the teacher and teaching style, to be honest.

I think given that, it might be worth giving myself one month or two to check his fundamentals videos. If I regret it, I'll comeback and let you all know.
>>
>>3035778
What's so controversial about Color and Light book?
>>
>>3037507

Also interested to know.
>>
Bemp

>>3037507
>>
>>3032875
it is extremely helpful to actually observe a pro drawing for hours, teaches you a lot that you might not pull from a book(although u should of course study the shit out of thise books)
>>
>>3040407

I agree with this, I think one can learn a lot just by seeing the author of the book actually go through the process.
>>
File: M1 Abraham construction.jpg (249KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
M1 Abraham construction.jpg
249KB, 1280x768px
OP here, today I'll be buying bunch of Conté 1070 B and A2 newsprint paper. I want to start studying values while practicing anatomy and gesture, but I am going to keep it in the realm of construction rather than realism and sight-seeing.

I have no interest in becoming a turbo portrait artist, just want a better understanding of making form through tones. Any advice, very much welcomed.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.