[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anon buys paints this is the results

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: rsz_20170622_113656.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170622_113656.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Hi I never posted here before. I just bought a professinal set of water color paints and paper. I yielded this masterpeice in 15minutes.
Never painted in my life before should I just quit now? These $90 paints make it feel like a huge waste.
>>
just practice you stupid fuck
>>
>>3031888
Start with smaller practice studies. Copy watercolors that you like. Learn about wet on wet, wet on dry and washes. No one goes out and paints beautiful stuff their first time. Don't stop painting. Practice with purpose and you can't help but improve.
>>
>>3031889
And don't forget to draw. Drawing the the foundation of all visual art.
>>
>>3031885
Just practice, read the sticky, and don't neglect drawing.
>>
>>3031888
Mainly this, but I'm curious anon. Do you have ANY EXPERIENCE with any form of art? If not I REALLY RECOMMEND NOT USING THE MOST EXPENSIVE SHIT YOU CAN FIND. Keep it cheap, and fun, but be sure to work hard. See pic related, and read up on watercolors as well as general work such as Loomis (/ic/ meme magic, it works surprisingly well,) STUDY FROM LIFE, DON'T COPY ART TOO MUCH! Don't symbol draw, and have fun!
>>
File: rsz_20170622_120158.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170622_120158.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
are these paints and brushes any good?
The box I bought the rest once belonged to my whore of an ex gf.
>>
>>3031897
I highly disagree on not using quality material.

You shouldn't habe to be spending absoutlemail top dollar for paper, paints and paper but you should work in the mindset that even your practice work will be in a gallery or museam long after your gone. Part of it is taking pride in your own work the other part is years later your work will degrade on the paper or canvass if you use cheap student level shit. Giving no shortage of greif to anyone concerving it.

Case in point I managed a gallery holding Picasso paintings. While he was by all means talented he was a cheap fucking making sometimes 15 paintings a day with crappy wall paints that you would find in a hardware store. The work has to be treated even only after 70 years after his latest works.
>>
>>3031899

The senneliers and daniel smith are artist grade watercolours, the other tubes are student grade but still p good. If you can't make something aesthetically pleasing with this it just mean you suck, use it more and get better. The brush I can see does not seem suitable for watercolour however. For watercolour you'll basically want a sable round brush. These can be very expensive though so considering that you don't know shit about watercolour, go to an actual art supply store and ask the clerk to advise you on which to buy and ask if you can use them to get their feel.
>>
>>3031899
>>3031910
Yea dog I go to some thing mid grade, like the cheapest artist grade paint you can get. I bought some expensive as fuck paint just starting and still have some tubes of it because I am afraid to waste it. This mid ground cheapish paint though, I fill up my pallet and generous apply paint to the canvas.
>>
>>3031914
>The brush I can see does not seem suitable for watercolour however.

Yeah, no. You don't know brushes. The 1" brush there is a wash brush, it's used for large washes and strokes. How are you going to load a large wash, like for a sky, with a small round? It's a staple brush for watercoloring.

Don't give people advice on brushes, or anything, unless you know what you're talking about. I've been watercoloring seriously for longer than you've been alive.

A basic watercolor set should be a small round, a medium round, a large round, a half inch flat, an inch flat, and a hake, preferably around 2" or larger.

The brushes shown are Princetons, which are synthetics, and typical for Michaels or other bargain shops. Fine for beginning, but if you get serious about painting, that's something you'd def need to upgrade - but they're fine for getting started.
>>
>>3032065

whatever dude, i know that but i don't see any other brushes that you will use a shitton more. A large brush like that is fine if you want to do washes yes but that's all it's good for. Fuck yourself, i paint as well but i was in a hurry so i just omitted talking about washes because op is a fucking beginner and he will have a lot more all-round use of a sable round.
>>
>>3031889
I'm trying to remember what we did in beginning watercolor class, in college. I know we started with washes - we'd draw 4" squares on paper, and do one of each wash in each box - wet in wet, gradations, etc. Then we did color mixing, learning to make colors by overlaying different washes. Then the teacher had do a simple layout, a plane, a cone, a cube, and a sphere, and to do it in the primary colors, and then one with each shape a different color. Then we did a portrait, and after that, a still life.
It was a long time ago. I think there was more in the beginning - we spent a week or two watching him paint, doing washes and drybrush, how to mix paint, paper, all the cool stuff.
>>
>>3032069
No, not whatever, dude. You gave fucking bad advice, you don't know shit about watercolor brushes, and you should shut the fuck up and stop talking out of your ass. You were NOT in a hurry, you're straight up lying through your fucking teeth, you tried to come across as a knowledgable painter, and you fucking failed.

Washes is all it's good for? Really? Asshole, watercolor is ALL WASHES. All of it. It's THE defining feature of the fucking medium, you dumbass.

Again, if you don't know what you're talking about, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3031889
THE most important concept for watercolor is this - you work from light to dark, and use the paper as the white in the painting. It's a completely different headspace from any other medium, and most of the work in a watercolor is preparing and planning the painting out. It takes a little more thought to figure out where to start, and with what color - generally I start with yellows, and work my way to the darkest tones, building washes. You also have to anticipate areas where you can create colors laying washes over each other. Patience is key - you should let the paint completely dry before laying more color over it, or letting large washes, like skies, dry completely before working on, like painting trees over it. A hair dryer on the lowest heat setting is really useful here.
Also, learn your papers. 100 lb. paper won't take large amounts of water without buckling, so if you want to do large washes, you'll need to stretch the paper on a board, or use heavier papers, like 300lb, which is almost cardboard in stiffness and thickness.
Watercolor is a "easy to learn, a lifetime to master" kind of medium. Be patient, paint a lot.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.