[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the fastest way to learn to draw manga?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1494641326697.jpg (874KB, 1662x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1494641326697.jpg
874KB, 1662x1200px
what's the fastest way to learn to draw manga?
>>
By drawing manga.
>>
use all your time to learn how to draw.
>>
>>3029874

>>3029880
This is really the answer.

The manga part is just style.

Learn perspective, it's the most important thing for you to learn.

Learn what makes something appealing, that's the most important thing to being successful. (So in a comic, when and where to use thick and thin lines, curves vs. straights, details vs. space.) AND COMPOSITION - comic panels need composition.

And third most important, yes third, last place importance, despite what anyone tells you - is learn your subject matter. So learn to draw people. Learn to draw things.

But don't let NOT KNOWING this stop you from drawing manga. Use references for what you don't know how to draw, and study on the SIDE.

Don't get trapped in endless study. Manga requires you to learn extra stuff besides drawing, like story telling through pictures.

For every drawing you make in an anime style, learn how to draw the real thing too.

Or you won't be able to draw nearly as well, it could also help you develop your own style.

By drawing real things, you'll get a true understanding of form that you won't get if you just practice drawing from other artwork.
>>
Actualy drawing comics is the most important thing.
Many people will say learn anatomy and learn perspective (which you should) but the most important part of a manga is visual story telling.
>>
>>3029874
Photocopier + Tones. I got a tonehera tool but no screentones atm.
>>
If you learn anime before realism, you will suck. And you will suck badly. For a long, long time.

If you learn realism before anime, you will learn anime 10x faster than the previous method, and be a quality artist who can take on anything.

Pick one.
>>
>>3029894
This is a trick because you actually need to learn anime before realism. Example: Western artists who can't into anime because of their traditional art background.
>>
>>3029900
Japanese artists learn realism before anime. Good ones, at least.

Western artists can into anime just fine. It just isn't considered cool in our society, so they westernize it; aka make it shitty with tumblr noses etc

Not that anime isn't plenty shit enough with its dot noses and upside down dorito chip heads
>>
>>3029900
I can confirm this, drew anime when I was little and never bothered with fundies until I turned 18. Either way I'd like to think my style is pretty ok.
>>
>>3029894
No you dont need to know realism lol.
You do however need to learn construction, anatomy and perspective to be a successful waifu artistan.
>>
>>3029886
>>3030126
So if I'm looking to learn how to draw exclusively because I want to fuck around with stylizied, vaguely anime ish figures, I don't have to spend months of my life doing still lifes and stuff like that? I swear the main thing keeping me from finally sticking to practicing is how much I can't stand that shit.
>>
>>3030136
you don't, just draw the style you want.
>>
>>3030136
always draw what you want to draw anon, let no one tell you otherwise.
But when you do hit a roadblock do not hesitate to study up on what's giving you trouble, study that one thing intensely and then continue with what you want to draw.
constantly analyze your own stuff for flaws and try and fix those mistakes.
>>
>>3030136
You should always enjoy to draw before studying. You only should study to better your understanding of the thing you're trying to draw. If you're in school, it's different because you're forced to do still lifes.
>>
>>3030136
kys weeb
>>
File: 1485069789294.png (436KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485069789294.png
436KB, 1080x1080px
>>3029874
There are no shortcuts. Also you won't make it. Mangaka work constantly and they have big advantages over foreigners because they grew up with manga and most of them have been drawing since they were kids.
>>
>>3029874
What's the point if you're not japanese? It'll just be a comic book that doesn't have any of the japanese storytelling conventions in it, isn't published in Japan and has no japanese readers because it's not in japanese.
>>
>>3030175
translate it weebs
>>
>>3030185
nvm found the translation
>>
>>3030175
They work constantly because there are huge rewards. A mildly successful mangaka is equivalent to a A list movie star in America.
>>
>>3029894
>>3030126
In fact lot of people think that you need realism before you draw stylized things
But a lot of artist that don't do realism and shit and never did can be better than anyone when it comes to stylized things.
Just learn whatever you want to learn, anatomy, perspective, rendering, compositions, or ask someone that had the same goal for advises, where they've been through. If you ask some random people what you need to learn without knowing what they aspire to, you'll have a lot of chances to have shitty advises
>>
File: frazetta004.jpg (217KB, 857x1249px) Image search: [Google]
frazetta004.jpg
217KB, 857x1249px
Absolutely ignore all the advice and just start drawing. Perfection is the enemy of good. Also don't draw manga, it's below degenerate tier.
>>
>>3030348
>they are all wrong and this kind of art isn't acceptable
/ic/
>>
>>3030348
>Absolutely ignore all the advice
Is that piece of advice I should ignore or just ignore the rest of your Japanophobic post?
>>
>>3030348
retard of the day
>>
>>3029900
>>3030126
>>3030315
You guys are retarded and probably shit at drawing.
>>
>>3030392
>>3031617
Sounds like sarcasm
>>
>>3029874
you would ask that question from someone who has learned to draw manga very fast
>>
>>3029874

1. Learn to copy one of the bazillion manga/anime artists and wannabees on pixiv

2. Make a photo, upload to Photoshop, grayscale, adjust levels, make small corrections so it won't stand out so much (you can alternatively print it out and correct with ink in some places if you feel super ambitious)

3. Paste your figure somewhere on the photo so it won't stand out much

4. Add glare and other effects

5. You are successful manga artist

Btw, what I told you is a process of a guy who made "Solanin" and "Oyasumi Punpun". He also has 1-2 guys to help who draw over photos when he doesn't want to "do backgrounds".

If you don't want to do that and feel even less ambitious, pick up a school as your setting, copy nearly non-existing "backgrounds" which are usually just a bunch of parallel lines for few panels and the rest feel with oversized zoom on character faces. Also if you have to draw whole figure, make it "chibi" and small so your stick figure will be "cute" and won't show your laziness and lack of skill so glaringly.
>>
>>3029874
you don't.
start writing instead. drawing is something you can pick up on the side. manga is not just about art.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.