[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Munsell Color Wheel/Picker

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: munsell.jpg (85KB, 998x444px) Image search: [Google]
munsell.jpg
85KB, 998x444px
So after reading a bunch of literature on color I've realized how weird the standard color wheel with a square or a triangle for every hue. Is there any good color wheels based around the Munsell system where each hue has a different shape as they have different maximum levels of saturation at each value. Right now I'm using Coolorus2 and the more I learn the more squashed the colorwheel/picker seems.
>>
What if we made a colour sphere. An extra dimension for saturation.
Or could also maybe add a slider that raises and lowers the saturation of the whole wheel. Basically adding a time dimension.
>>
>>3027199
Yeah that is how I feel the standard triangle/square is designed like.
>>
>>3027191
do you really need it, can't you just see the colors?
>>
I found a very old version of this but no download.
https://youtu.be/o2iJjMXMGNE
>>
>>3027223
No but id rather not have to compress or skew the color space in my head every time I want to pick a color.
>>
>>3027226
idk still don't really see the problem, like you're picking a specific color anyway, doesn't really matter where it is, imo.
>>
>>3027191
Your art should stand on its own, just choose any color
>>
>>3027191

What's weird about colorus?
>>
>>3027249
What this would allow is for you to chose lets say a value like 50% then choose how saturated you want the color to be at 50% value. Also it would allow you to easily key saturation and hue the way you do with value in a painting like lets say you want the highlight to have 10% saturation the middle value at 40% saturation and the darks at 80% saturation.
>>
>>3027275
It uses the standard triangle/square way of showing saturation and value.
>>
>>3027331
ok, again i have to wonder why you can't just do that with your eyes. but i guess it's just different tools for different people. hell, i use the lab color space, so who am i to talk.
>>
File: 1497855054.png (138KB, 459x638px) Image search: [Google]
1497855054.png
138KB, 459x638px
>>3027191
A HSY' color selector gets pretty close (Y' means luma). With luma you can represent how some saturated colors like yellow appear more luminous than saturated blue.

Unfortunately the HSY' color selector I use in krita is still technically a cylinder, but it's close enough, my value picks get to be more predictable.
>>
>>3027339
Ok this looks more like it will check it out.
>>
>>3027332

Yes but why is it weird? I've done digital painting for years and find it very efficient and intuitive. Never read too much about color theory though.
>>
Maybe Lab color mode might help? I don't know if it's EXACTLY what you're looking for. But Lab basically allows you to control the value completely separate from a color.
So you could paint a 40% value grey, and then with the slider at 40% you can see exactly what colors you have at your disposal at that value range.
>>
I don't get why people would pick triangle over square. Sometimes you need to be able to work in either the low value/ high saturation areas or the high value/high saturation areas and with the triangle it is so compressed that it is impossible.
>>
>>3027514
>>3027589
If you look at the video linked earlier you will see how on one axis you have value and on the other you have saturation. This is also how it works if you use the triangle color selector but depending on the hue of a color the most saturated version of that color will be at different values for example the most saturated blue is at a dark value and the most saturated yellow is at a light value, the color selector in the video shows this very well but a standard triangle color selector compresses and changes the ratio in weird ways so if you want to move around the the color space you have to move in weird curves instead of straight lines so the relationship between colors in the triangle selector is very hard to grasp. The square selector is even more fucked up. The HSY and Lab colors seems to make more sense though it seems like HSY still has some compression going on.
>>
>>3027623

Okay maybe I'm just retarded, but I still don't get how any of this is a problem. Can you just name one specific example? I find the square color picker to be incredible easy to work with.
>>
>>3027332
You might want to check its Luminosity Lock feature.
>>
>>3027224

>240p

Literally can't see whats going on on the screen
>>
>>3027629
I am using it but using the luminosity lock you only get one saturation at each value and if you want to find the other levels of saturation you have to find it by hand.
>>
>>3027628
Ok lets say you are using the square color selector and I have a any random color but lets say a red hue for this example, if i want to then create a spectrum of that red hue that decreases in value but not saturation or the other way around decreases in saturation but not value how do I do it? Let me tell you there is no easy way to do it, you have to start picking colors in weird arcs and using a black and white filter to check your values. What makes the square picker even more retarded is that the arcs you find for that red hue wont be the same for a blue hue or a yellow hue or every other hue. The saturation and value relationship is only one example but there are countless others.
>>
>>3027631
You dont need much higher quality just jump around in the video and look at the color selector and notice how the colors are not in a triangle the shape is based on how saturated each hue can be at each value
>>
>>3027623
Doesn't this mean that triangle is worse than square though? With square you just keep those ~6 "value-saturation arcs" in mind and paint accordingly, while with triangle you must navigate within a range that's good for some hues, but with others you'll hunt pixels at the triangle borders/use laggy sliders.
I never understood triangle, at least square one fucks up all hues equally
>>
>>3027644

In my square color picker in clip studio I just drag down in a straight line to decrease value or to the left to decrease saturation. Or does that create swatches that are somehow incorrect?
>>
>>3027537
yep i use Lab, now that you mention it you could use it like that more or less, i'm not sure luminance is quite the same thing as value, close enough though.

anyway the main reason i replied was to tell that it's Lab not LAB, because the variables are capital L (luminance) and small a (red-green) and a small b (blue-yellow).

did you know it mimics the way our eyes actually see color? it's pretty rad, i think it's the most intuitive way to pick colors for painting aside from a palette, because you get to think, "more green" or "less blue" or "brighter" like you would naturally.

bit of a fanboy desu
>>
File: 1497929302.png (50KB, 699x628px) Image search: [Google]
1497929302.png
50KB, 699x628px
>>3027537
A Lab color selector is helpful, but a Lab color mode is non-starter for anyone who likes to use blending modes like multiply, it behaves very differently in Lab and RGB mode
>>
>>3028560
you can use the lab sliders with a rgb or cmyk mode image, i think we're talking about ui elements here not actual formats. and even cmyk and rgb are work differently, in terms of multiply and what not.
>>
>>3028588
oops sort of restated the beginning of your post then put "are work differently lol" so -are

precoffee blues
>>
>>3028496
Yeah you are not affecting only a single variable when doing that in the square picker when you move left you also affect the value same with going down and affecting saturation. The color isn't "wrong" its just not doing what you think/want it to do.
>>
Ok a question on a similar topic is there a way to see the saturation levels in an image the way you check values by turning an image black and white?
>>
>>3027191
i was gonna write my own but i've been too busy

i'll post it on ic if i ever get around to it
>>
>>3028640

Well, technically it is the same value in HSL. But when you take a red and just decrease the saturation, it appears lighter. So you are basically saying that the the ligthness value in HSL is not an indicator of the true value.
>>
bump
I need to understand this shit
>>
>>3029390
There is not much to understand: the red, green and blue channels in RGB mode don't appear equally luminous to human eyes. Green (#00ff00) appears much brighter than both red (#ff0000) and blue (#0000ff). Blue is slightly darker than red.
>>
>>3029417

Yeah, but is the lightness value in the HSL/HSB/HSV model essentially false then?
>>
>>3029425
>lightness value in the HSL/HSB/HSV model essentially false then?
To an engineer no, this behaviour is intentional. To an artist, it's slightly misleading at worst. Just look at this picture >>3027339 to see how HSL and HSB/HSV work and how they are distinct.
>>
>>3028523
I did spell it correctly, anon
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.