[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk art shows

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

So I recently got a couple offers to be part of two art shows in the coming months. I've never been part of an art show (not since middle school, boy that's depressing to think about) so I don't really know much about them.

Share stories, what to expect, what to know, and all that jazz since this isn't a topic I see get talked about here that much. Any tips for this would be great too. All i know is that it's free for me to be part of these shows, and they're not guarantees for finding work or getting work sold.

Also tips for displaying digital work (best place to go for printing? etc?) would be appreciated.
>>
>>3026957
the only thing to watch out for is if the organizers are getting a cut of art of yours that sells.

or if they ask for money. there's vanity art shows, just like vanity publishing.

if you're happy that the shows are legit, depending on the scale and what not, you might want to see if you can get involved somehow. if you're working with the people then they'll think of your next time, so more shows, and you're getting involved in your local art scene (and it's a possible in-road to an art related career, if you're ngmi)
>>
>>3026971
Thanks anon. I know for a fact one of them doesn't get profits from my work and I retail all rights to my shit, etc. I don't know about the other one yet because I haven't looked into it yet.

I live in a semi-major city (Not like NYC big but still big name) with a big art district (a couple really) so getting my name out there would be hugely beneficial to getting a creative career out here.
>>
Digital work might do well depending on how big your city is. I don't like prints as much but they're affordable to everyone.

you will never know how the fest will go and you might lose money renting a booth rather than getting money.

Dad's a pop artist so he sells some bigger more expensive stuff at almost every festival in Utah. It's better to know what's worth what and costs are usually dependant on size, material, and time.

Spend 40+ hours on the same print and make 50 of them the value will depreciate, if there's an original it might stay NFS, or remain too expensive. At least from what I've seen.

But yeah, most festival artists sustain a basic income through teaching somehow and the success of the festival and the size of your degree will determine who will allow you to teach.
>>
>the size of your degree will determine who will allow you to teach.
At least in Utah and anything above a matters degree is usually over kill and a bigger risk.

Depends on your career goals and state too though. Not sure how festivals work if you're a designer or something rather than a traditional visual artist.

In Utah the pond is smaller but the water's polluted with elephant shit.
>>
>>3027298
OP here, this isn't a festival. These are art shows, at galleries. But thank you all the same.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.