[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repin Reminder

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

/ic/ jerks off Repin regularly to demonstrate how drawing from imagination is the holy grail, but the red pill is that his historic paintings were worked primarily from models he hired and sketches of people that he assembled into a composition. The bulk of his work is portraiture.

Construction can't teach you good taste, like the kind that Repin had.

Don't skimp on your life drawing classes.
>>
>>3025712
But I'm better than repin and can do all that stuff from imagination. Not that he wasn't skilled, I just had more resources and as a result I was able to figure out stuff he couldn't.
>>
File: 155d0b11ed6baf14d4c1d9af15cab604.jpg (148KB, 736x1109px) Image search: [Google]
155d0b11ed6baf14d4c1d9af15cab604.jpg
148KB, 736x1109px
>I was able to figure out stuff he couldn't.

Such as?
>>
>>3025712
>/ic/ jerks off Repin regularly to demonstrate how drawing from imagination is the holy grail
Literally no-one.
>>
>>3025719
>But I'm better than repin and can do all that stuff from imagination.
Perhaps the most narcissistic/Dunning-Kruger thing I've ever read on /ic/, even though it's a troll comment.
Also,
>>3025712
>/ic/ jerks off Repin regularly to demonstrate how drawing from imagination is the holy grail
I have never seen this idea expressed on /ic/. Anyone that knows of Repin's work would know he works from models/life sketching and the like, who would pretend everything he did was purely from imagination?
The 'only from imagination' meme is also the most misconstrued thing I see posted around on /ic/ these days, it's tiresome.
>>
>>3025712
Are you an idiot? Everyone knows Repin worked form models. No fine artist could draw from imagination worth shit. That's a skill that was developed much later by illustrators, comic book artists and animators.
>>
>>3025806
>No fine artist could draw from imagination worth shit. That's a skill that was developed much later by illustrators, comic book artists and animators.
lol
>>
/ic/ jerks off to Repin because Repin is for plebs. /ic/ taste will for the most part always be plebeian. He's more discussed than even Titian or Michelangelo, which tells you something is wrong.
>>
I don't think Brad Rigney bothered with life drawing, construction, or reading any books.
>>
>>3025870
>I don't think Brad Rigney bothered with life drawing, construction, or reading any books
Because he makes heavy use of photographic reference, and thus wouldn't need to? Or are you suggesting something else?
You're surely not suggesting Brad does everything from imagination, because what Brad does is effectively a modern version of what Repin and portrait artists would do.
Though I think I just misunderstood your post, honestly.
>>
Rendering is not art. 99% fine artists are joke. They can't even draw simple portrait without life models
>>
File: brad-rigney-thc-transhuman.jpg (255KB, 1920x1060px) Image search: [Google]
brad-rigney-thc-transhuman.jpg
255KB, 1920x1060px
>>3025935
>he makes heavy use of photographic reference
really? because that seems completely impractical for a lot of what he does
>>
>>3026101
he literally spent like 7 years doing nothing but copying photographs and reproducing them from memory
>>
>>3025870
you obviously don't know much about Brad Rigney, or drawing in general. Download his tutorial "A Hostile Takeover" from cgpeers, he talks about what he had to do to learn what he knows (and it involved a lot of drawing from reference and reading books)
>>
>>3026110
practicing by studying photos is not the same thing as making art by copying photo reference
>>
>>3025870
>>3025935
>>3026101
>>3026110
>>3026131
He did spend a number of years autistically sitting in a basement and copying photos until they were 1 for 1 every single pixel, then repeating it from memory. He did that until he could paint to a near photoreal level without reference. He was one of the main guys who would proudly yell that they don't use reference because it's superior that way and it was a huge point of pride. In the last like 3 years or something though he did a 180 and now started photobashing quite a bit. He still paints to integrate things but definitely uses a lot of photos now. I guess he realized it's A) faster (before using photos he would often spend 100 to 200 hours per piece which just isn't practical), B) can lead to shapes and textures that he couldn't invent, and C) avoiding photos was just an ego thing that no one else cares about that much, especially the industry itself.
>>
>>3025870
Are you kidding me, with that basic-ass studio lighting?
>>
>>3025954
>Rendering is not art. 99% fine artists are joke. They can't even draw simple portrait without life models
lol
>>
>>3026123
I don't remember him mentioning books during Hostile Takeover. During his last interview I saw with Dave Rapoza he said he didn't really use books. He doesn't like using construction or line drawing. He likes to start with a dark background and start laying down blobs and sculpting them.
>>
>>3026502
>laying down blobs and sculpting them
counts as a form of construction in my book

as long as you're building 3 dimensional forms, progressing from large into smaller detail you're constructing

that blob approach works nicely when you're painting, you wouldn't be drawing autismo lines on a canvas would you
>>
>>3025712
Hey dude,

take your 19th centurey and shove it

got it?
>>
>>3026132
Not trying to doubt you, but any sources and examples of this? Sounds interesting
>>
>>3027851
this
>>
>>3025712
>repin
>good taste
man it's sure pleb out here

The only thing you should learn from repin is in his technique
>>
>>3025719
Never change, /ic/. You beautiful creature
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.