[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rendering

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

File: tim-lochner-shuten-jump.jpg (172KB, 937x1300px) Image search: [Google]
tim-lochner-shuten-jump.jpg
172KB, 937x1300px
How do you manage to get this kind of amazing rendering that tim lochner does?
I checked his works, he was /ic/ tier up until 2016 when he started to draw animu and became REALLY good.

What is the secret?
>>
>>3024325
funides basic anatomy edge control.
>>
File: cowgirl_by_timmi_o_tool-d6dwum5.jpg (130KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cowgirl_by_timmi_o_tool-d6dwum5.jpg
130KB, 707x1000px
>>3024328
Here's his tuff from before 2016.
He made a HUGE jump in quality, now he's basically yo yoshinari tier.
>>
>>3024333
yeah he learned about edge control (painter style rendering). notice the lack of interior lines in the new as opposed to the old .
>>
>>3024333
Rendering is the easy part. The hard part is learning how to actually draw.
-vilppu
>>
>>3024342
Can you Elaborate on that please.
>>
>>3024351
http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.br/2015/04/10-things-about-edges.html
>>
>>3024352
Wew, thanks.
>>
>>3024352
>muddycolors
fucking dropped
>>
>>3024325
i notice that in a lot of cases when people are blown away by 'rendering' it's because of the palette, and the op pic is a tertiary palette more or less, so you could look into color choices too.

remember that if you want to learn something in art, that is what studies are for.
>>
>>3024325
You should watch some speed painting videos on youtube. I love them, and they let you see how other artists think. Not to mention you can find artists using any medium you want to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFP-2X3UI-c
https://youtu.be/l3WIbtQyces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llviXEjYOEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPGy3MpDKvc&t=33s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMePvzaF9no
>>
>>3024470
These are the worst speed painting videos I've ever seen. The music doesn't help either.
>>
>>3024325
What makes this guy awesome is not his rendering its his ability to draw.
>>
>>3024470
If you want to watch anime styled speed painting at least don't watch the DA versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhG-MuD_IkY&index=34&list=PLzDE6rf7BxBLsmUaSCGD3jexpBGcMO0GX

Also no, they don't have any educational value but they can look cool.
>>
>>3024325
He's been drawing anime and has been pretty decent since 2011.
>>
>>3024652
Nah. He only got good in 2015. Before that he was medicore.
>>
>>3024539
He posted artists who are way better than the one you posted. What does any of this have to do with DA? If a good artist posts his work on DA and a shit artist posts it on Artstation, you'd rather take advice from the shit artist because at least he isn't the "DA version"?
>>
>>3024653
I dunno, I remember a lot of his work when he posted on /ic/ back in the days and I was really impressed by it back then. I guess it's quite a bit worse than what I remember, but the fact remains that he has always been drawing anime and didn't just start that in 2016 as OP claims and he's been well above "/ic/ tier" since at least 2011.
>>
>>3024663
I havent found any good anime from before 2015 from him.
Dunno what you think is anime, but he nailed the look in the last two years.
Before that he was a typical /ic/ shitter.
Really impressive how gud he got.
>>
>>3024333
>yoshinari tier
bruh
>>
>>3024663
This is from 2 years ago.
His anime was your typical drawfag stuff.

I'd really interested in how he made the jump
>>
>>3024678
thats not bad, theres really no secret he just kept drawing and refining what he already had
>>
>>3024539
How do they not have educational value? You get to see how they construct the drawing, how they design the layout, their mistakes, their line work, the colors they choose, the brushes and settings they're using, how they use tools, how they get certain affects etc.

How is that not educational?
>>
>>3024674
>I havent found any good anime from before 2015 from him.

Your original claim was " he was /ic/ tier up until 2016 when he started to draw animu and became REALLY good."
I don't you why you think the quality decides whether or not it is anime to you, but you are objectively wrong in that he started to draw anime in 2016 and that it was the catalyst to him getting good. He's been into anime and has been drawing anime for as far back as his gallery goes.
>>
He became a kr0nprinz copycat. It's a legit tactic to be a copycat first and then deviate from there to become your own thing. Not too prestigious but it works.
>>
>>3024663
>posted on /ic
So he left /ic/ the moment he got gud?
>>
>>3024352
I'm dumb, how do I navigate muddycolors to find the gems?
>>
>>3024718
He left around the time dot, tehmeh, parsakoira and a bunch of others left because /ic/ became dangerously toxic with their witchhunts and e-stalking back then.
>>
File: CsU1vh0UAAAyhH8.jpg large.jpg (77KB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CsU1vh0UAAAyhH8.jpg large.jpg
77KB, 960x1080px
>>3024715
His rendering style looks way more like he's trying to emulate artists such as Krenz, White Datura, Yisaotrane etc. Looks nothing like Kron at all.
>>
this >>3024678
to this >>3024333
to this >>3024325
seems like a reasonable amount of improvement for someone who might have done 8+hrs a day of practice.
>>
>>3024724
It doesn't show as much improvement as it just shows 3 different types of sketches at different stages of finish.
>>
>>3024730
This. If anything it shows how important rendering actually is.
>>
>>3024715
>kr0nprinz copycat

what the fuck? it might be anime but their styles couldn't be any more different from each other. plus kr0n is actual trash.
>>
>>3024736
Not important at all. Not sure why amaterus are so easily impressed by shiny rendering, but I don't see anything particularly great about the image OP posted as shining example of great art. Especially after he compares the guy to Yoh Yoshinari, whose work is 90% line drawings.
>>
>>3024753
Rendering is really import to impress non artist.

People on /ic/ forget that. Literally no nonartist cares about your loomis studies and your sketches.
>>
>>3024678
He still drawfags on /a/ from time to time.
>>
File: sergi-brosa-pirate-girls.jpg (324KB, 1701x1233px) Image search: [Google]
sergi-brosa-pirate-girls.jpg
324KB, 1701x1233px
>>3024754
Not true. First I'm not talking about your Loomis studies and sketches, secondly there are lots of very popular artists who draw in a flat shading or minimal rendering style. Just look at artists like Sergi Brosa, Jake Wyatt, Sachin Teng, Andrew Mar, Nargyle, Otto Schmidt, various comic book artists and thousands of animu artists on pixiv and Deviantart.
>>
>>3024344
Did he really say that?

I can see how he might've meant that metaphorically, like underlying foundation > surface detail, but if I could render the way I can draw, I'd consider myself to have made it.
>>
>>3024774
I'm writing this down, thanks anon.

I sometimes forget tight rendering is not a rule or a necessity. There are no rules, only simple ideas and honest execution.
>>
>>3024721
How do you become a krenz copycat?
>>
>>3024721
Gives me 零/rei vibes as well, no where near kronz
>>
>>3024751
Maybe I'm thinking of another anime artist very similar to kron in fame and style but Tim is most definitely a copycat of that artist. No need to get triggered, it's not a bad thing.
>>
>>3024777
I don't see how you can't believe it. Rendering is easy compared to drawing. Anyone can render.
>>
>>3024794
Tim is a dead ringer for krenz.
>>
>>3024791
That is not by tim.

Tim looks like a clone of krenz. But really good regardless.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/timbougami
>>
>>3024797
>krenz
Oh, I was thinking of him but got the name wrong. All these neo-anime artists are a blur to me.
>>
>>3024678
Started using 3d software like everyone else.
>>
>>3024795
Sure, but you can't teach taste. And bad taste is what fucks up most people's renderings.
>>
>>3024795
That's about as true as saying anyone can draw.
Anyone can draw and render, but few can draw well and even fewer can render well.

After taking into account all the fundamentals of values and colors, edges, reflectivity and texture, not to mention more creative aspects like balance and composition, which is influenced by all of the above, rendering is almost a completely new skill to be developed along drawing.

If drawing is like playing a violin solo, then rendering is like conducting a fucking orchestra.
>>
>>3024809
Im not the guy you responded to but I think you are wrong. I've always been bad at painting and using colors but what I've been pretty good at is drawing but over the last year I've been doing a lot of painting/rendering and color studies and I found out its pretty fucking easy give me a good drawing and I can render that fucker into a professional looking piece. Just learning the basics of light and color from a book and doing some master studies will help you sooo much when it comes to color but drawing is much more of a mileage thing for me I cant just read something or do a study and "just get it" when it comes to drawing but I can when it comes to color.
>>
>>3024827
>I think you are wrong
Thanks for wording that so nicely, most people would rather imply I'm a nigger.

I'd trade my drawing mileage for some good rendering skills any day, but obviously we all need both. Thanks for your advice, Ima go and do more studies.
>>
>>3024805
Elaborate on that please
>>
>>3024827
>learning the basics of light and color from a book and doing
Got a recommendation?
>>
File: 3d.jpg (168KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
3d.jpg
168KB, 1152x648px
>>3024848
My comment was about how he could quickly learn to draw environments, it takes comparatively no time to learn to draw environments if you started drawing living creatures. If you use 3d programs all you need is color theory.
>>
>>3024850
I would firstly recommend Color, 2nd edition: A Workshop for Artists and Designers it breaks down color in a way that helps you think about color in the right way. Then the Gurney books for more on how to apply the knowledge.
>>
>>3024699
I goes by too quick to derive any practical meaning.

A step by step would be better, slow 2 hr drawing with the artist explaining shit would be best but it's all worthless if you can't take practical meaning from it and apply it to your art.
>>
>>3025061
your too slow
>>
>>3024325
Buy a cintiq.

Get good.
>>
>>3024774
The type of rendering in your picture takes skill to do. Just because it looks simple doesn't mean the rendering isn't important. A lot of people attempt this and then fuck it up.
>>
Rendering is not art. He's just another shitty anime kr0n copycat.
>>
>>3025128
Temple at Senntisten came out in 2009
>>
>>3025533
Wrong thread
>>
File: tim-lochner-rpg-grp.jpg (396KB, 1500x971px) Image search: [Google]
tim-lochner-rpg-grp.jpg
396KB, 1500x971px
>>3025396
>kr0n copycat
do you really believe this?
>>
>>3025299
Not sure what you're talking about, there is no rendering in that image, it's literally flat shadows and a gradient. And obviously you still have to be good at it, understand how light hits the figures etc, you genius. I never said you can just shit out random crap and people will love it, just that you are wrong that normies only care about nicely rendered images and now you are completely moving the goalposts.
>>
>>3025683
>can draw good faces that aren't anime while also being able to do good anime
Amazing.
>>
https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

shadows, brush control, blending, values, etc.

Edge control (knowing where to put your hard edges and knowing where things are allowed to fade out more) is boss
>>
>>3024859
Give some more info
>>
>>3024325
>up until 2016
you forgot that he's been working as a professional concept artist for a few years.
latest game he helped work on was horizon zero dawn.
>>
>>3025683
How do you get brushwork like that?
>>
>>3025864
Really now?
>>
>>3025683
He meant and krenz and, yes, absolutely.
>>
>>3025869
Yep, though he only uploads animu shit he's still a professional concept artist. You'd have to ask him personally if you'd like to know what more games he's worked on
>>
>>3025873
He clearly takes inspiration from Krenz and other asian artist's rendering styles, but how exactly does that make him a Krenz copycat? This criticism always seems to come from such a pathetic and jealous place. I see this every time someone gets good and successfully learns to apply certain techniques into their own work.
>>
>>3025884
this
>>
>>3025884
He's shitty Krenz copycat and tracer. Deal with it. Get some taste at least.
>>
>>3024850
>>3024909

I found that color workshop book to be a waste of money. Just read gurney's books and http://www.huevaluechroma.com/index.php
>>
>>3025948
>tracer
too obvious mang
>>
>>3025874
Elaborate
>>
>>3025948
>"He's a Krenz copycat."
>"How is he a Krenz copycat?"
>"He's a Krenz copycat!"

Repeating the same claim over and over doesn't somehow make it true. If you can't answer a question, just say so and stop embarassing yourself any further.
>>
>>3025995
>Repeating the same claim over and over doesn't somehow make it true
It does. This is not your hugbox
>>
>>3025956
You are wrong it is great gives you everything you need starting with color if you didn't get anything from it you wont be getting anything from any books.
>>
>>3026004
What does you being a retard who is too dumb to articulate an argument have to do with whether or not this is a hugbox?
>>
>>3026020
I don't even read your posts
>>
>>3024859
Please elaborate further.
For example: What programs? How exactly are the 3D environments combined with the work?
>>
>>3025820
>there is no rendering in that image
Yes there is. If it's not just an outline, then there is rendering. And that picture has really nice rendering too, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Unless you refer to rendering as the quality of the picture as a whole, which then I would still disagree.
>>
>>3026020
>>3025995
>>3025884
>continuing to take the bait
>>
>>3025884
This
>>
>inspiration from Krenz
It's like /ic/ knows nothing except Krenz. Jesus
>>
>>3027909
>competent and famous artist with an excellent technique has a large following in an art board obsesed with excellent technical skills
fucking magnets
>>
>>3027913
Or it could be because /ic/ knows nothing but manga or manga-lite artists. No American comics, no european comics, no illustrators of any kind. God forbid they talk about anything but their bug-eyed lolis
>>
>>3030465
>reeeeee anime
>>
>>3030467
You mad bro? Did I offend your shit taste?
>>
>>3030465

Are we even browsing the same board?
>>
>>3030482
Apparently. I think you guys are very strange. You keep criticizing Deviantart shit drawings, but there are a lot of cool stuff there. There´s too much tunnel vision on this board.
>>
>>3030486
I think a lot of us simply don't look at Deviantart.

I know I certainly don't.
>>
File: 132143654878698797.jpg (128KB, 839x856px) Image search: [Google]
132143654878698797.jpg
128KB, 839x856px
>>3030486
>>3030479
>le u mad?
>american comics
>european comics
>Deviantart
>taste
Oh wow. We have tumblr here
>>
File: 1496613142693.jpg (62KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496613142693.jpg
62KB, 800x800px
>>3030532
I think it's reddit, personally. Tumblr has a different way of talking, I'd recognize one a mile away.
>>
>>3030577
Its definitely reddit, they have an autistic irrational hatred of anime there
>>
>>3030532
>>3030577
>>3030587
Lol. You guys are paranoic. I only visit here and the infinity one. Maybe if you stop focusing so much on these chink drawings you guys could at least learn to have some taste. And by the way, there are good japanese artists, but your irrational masturbating over every kind of crap those guys make border on psychotic.

>>3030504
There are some very good artists there. When I find a good one, I always look at the similar ones Deviantart shows.
>>
File: unimpepe.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
unimpepe.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>3030603
>feeling the need to justify yourself like that
>insult insult insult
I wish some people would just realize how fucking stupid they look.
>>
>>3030612
It´s an anonymous board anon. It doesn´t matter if I look stupid. This thread will die and everyone here will forget we had this conversation. So why do you care so much to respond?
>>
>>3024352
So much bullshit philosophizing in this article. The example painting is good, but the guy is over his head. No need to overcommit trying to learn this stuff. Just paint and try to get better little by little. Forget about this "cut years of struggle off your painting skills". You need years to learn this stuff. There is no top ten list to solve your problems, just constant work.
>>
File: 1497570548903.jpg (56KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1497570548903.jpg
56KB, 480x360px
>>3030638
>Greg Manchess vs /ic/ anon
Fuckin bullshit amrite
>>
>>3030647
He is a fucking god. Great fucking artist. But too much bullshit explanations. It´s like Einstein trying to explain how to be a genius.
>>
>>3024774
What a lot of people miss is that how to use lines is a part of rendering.

A mistake I see all the time is same line LENGTH rendering, and same space WIDTH rendering.

People who know how to render with just lines use different line lengths for different materials (like hair vs skin). Everyone talks about line weight here because I guess it's in fashion as something to notice.

But artists like the one you just showed, they might have a more uniform line weight, but their lines aren't thoughtless or without design.

They vary the spacing between lines depending on the object (hair would have less space between the lines than skin etc.) and they use line lengths to also differentiate objects, etc.

Those things are very important to rendering with just lines.

Another part of the rendering in the flat colored picture you just showed is that it is shaded. Shading is a part of rendering.

Detail vs space is also a part of rendering, more detail draws the eye when it is surrounded by space.

All rendering is, is 'finish'. It means, not a sketch, basically. It's how you chose to finish the foundation you've worked on.

Good or bad.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.